Do you enjoy Complaining about/Discussing/Watching edited versions of DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you enjoy Complaining about/Discussing/Watching edited versions of DB?

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am

Forte224 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 am Not on the internet, no. Too many people irrationally claiming that the edited versions are the best versions simply because "It's the one I grew up with" and vehemently defending them. With friends though, sure, it can be fun to look back and see some of the silly decisions they made and reflect on why specifically they might have made a change.
I don't like it simply due to nostalgia nor did I watch the Ocean dub to look at the silly decisions that were made. For all it's problems I do think many of the performances and even the music is good. I like it, unironically.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:57 am

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am
Forte224 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 am Not on the internet, no. Too many people irrationally claiming that the edited versions are the best versions simply because "It's the one I grew up with" and vehemently defending them. With friends though, sure, it can be fun to look back and see some of the silly decisions they made and reflect on why specifically they might have made a change.
I don't like it simply due to nostalgia nor did I watch the Ocean dub to look at the silly decisions that were made. For all it's problems I do think many of the performances and even the music is good. I like it, unironically.
I agree. The music in the original 2 seasons was actually pretty good, definitely superior to most of the first Falconer tracks.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 am

I'm gonna agree with ABED; it's not just nostalgia, though I'll freely admit that I'm biased by nostalgia. However, between Funi's on-the-whole entirely god-awful work throughout their in-house Z dub, and Ocean's great performances with crappy scripts, weird censorship, and goofy music...
Well, neither are exactly a good English rendering of Dragon Ball, but I know which one is the worthwhile viewing experience, let's put it that way.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:57 am I agree. The music in the original 2 seasons was actually pretty good, definitely superior to most of the first Falconer tracks.
i do think there is some value in the ocean dub as i like a good bit of the voices and i find the way the series got censored to be really interesting, but i can't agree with the music. it just sounds so goofy and sometimes it's like strangely really menacing ? it's weird.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm
omegacwa wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:57 am I agree. The music in the original 2 seasons was actually pretty good, definitely superior to most of the first Falconer tracks.
i do think there is some value in the ocean dub as i like a good bit of the voices and i find the way the series got censored to be really interesting, but i can't agree with the music. it just sounds so goofy and sometimes it's like strangely really menacing ? it's weird.
It’s far less annoying/ear bleeding than the Faulconer score, so it has that going for it. But it’s otherwise pretty basic. The fact that it was done by the guy who did the music for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers really shows one piece in particular sounds straight up lifted from Power Rangers

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 pm
It’s far less annoying/ear bleeding than the Faulconer score, so it has that going for it. But it’s otherwise pretty basic. The fact that it was done by the guy who did the music for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers really shows one piece in particular sounds straight up lifted from Power Rangers
Basic, but I find it enjoyable. That said, I love the music used for the scene when Goku arrives to save Gohan from Nappa. I think it also played when he arrived on Namek. It gives me goose bumps.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:54 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pmit just sounds so goofy and sometimes it's like strangely really menacing ? it's weird.
Yeah the aggressive menace is definitely what sticks out in my memory the most along with the heroic "Goku arrives" track mentioned above.

While the Saban-era music was higher quality and felt far more professional than the in-house music, I will say that Faulconer had much more of a creative imagination in his work. I almost called him a visionary, but I think that may be a bit much.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:54 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pmit just sounds so goofy and sometimes it's like strangely really menacing ? it's weird.
, I will say that Faulconer had much more of a creative imagination in his work. I almost called him a visionary, but I think that may be a bit much.
If Faulconer’s cell phone hadn’t gone off in his washing machine who knows what the music might of sounded like.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:46 pm
oh yeah i do not like the faulconer score, often times there's just way to much going on in the songs (the guitars in his vegeta theme....) and it just doesn't work. not to mention i find it extremely corny but not in like a good way because it's dumb and it knows it, but more so in a bad way where it's trying too hard to be cool, but ymmv on that one.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Yeah the aggressive menace is definitely what sticks out in my memory the most along with the heroic "Goku arrives" track mentioned above.

While the Saban-era music was higher quality and felt far more professional than the in-house music, I will say that Faulconer had much more of a creative imagination in his work. I almost called him a visionary, but I think that may be a bit much.
Ron Wasserman had a far deeper resume than the Faulconer guys, which is why it would seem like a more natural fit for a show. He also said he thought the music he was making for the show was really dark and unorthodox compared to stuff like Power Rangers. But ever since the Wasserman-influenced Faulconer score came out, people have started criticizing him for making generic saturday morning cartoon music on DBZ, when he never even intended to do that in the first place.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Ron Wasserman had a far deeper resume than the Faulconer guys, which is why it would seem like a more natural fit for a show. He also said he thought the music he was making for the show was really dark and unorthodox compared to stuff like Power Rangers. But ever since the Wasserman-influenced Faulconer score came out, people have started criticizing him for making generic saturday morning cartoon music on DBZ, when he never even intended to do that in the first place.

I intend to make sick gains at the gym every day. Doesn’t mean it happens.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that both Ron Wasserman and Bruce Faulconer said they weren’t trying to make generic kids cartoon music which lolololol

I still think the Wasserman score is better but it really doesn’t sound out of place from your typical Power Rangers episode

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:31 pm

If I'm watching an edited version, it's just to rip on it and cringe usually. There are definitely parts to complain about, especially in translation, but I never watched the show with severely edited footage.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 pm

I've got some old recorded episodes of Ocean and FUNi in house dubbed DBZ from Toonami way back in the day but rarely ever do i go back to watching them but only once in a great while. Given that the original uncut version is more than readily available and at my fingertips, both by way of the original Japanese version on my Dragon Boxes and a very good accurate dub with Kai. With that said at this point there really isn't much reason for me to watch them in that heavily cut down form, although it is funny to break them out every now and then to see and laugh at the ridiculous '90s edits and hilariously bad dialogue and jokes again. It is kind of nostalgic in some ways when i go and view those tapes every so often, but generally given how long the series has been available uncut the old edited version really is of little value to me.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)