Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 am

He is clearly very stereotypically gay, but that kind of humor seemed to be normal in the 80s and 90s. However, today, it might be viewed a bit differently.

Should there ever be any new Dragon Ball material that could include General Blue, should he be toned down? Removed altogether? Or have no change done to his character whatsoever? TOEI clearly wants to market to a wide audience (i.e., removal of blood, the middle finger removal scandal), so I'm sure they would have to make some changes.

What do you guys honestly think? Has his character ages well at all?
One World. 🌐 🕊

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:22 am

the main thing that i take issue with is the anime dr slump stuff. it's just really gross anyway and plays into the sterotype that gay men are pedos/pedos are apart of the lgbtq+ community (which is a take i've seen too often). besides that, i don't recall anything too bad. like gay/effeminate men as villians is overplayed as hell, but i don't think blue himself is too bad.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Would General Blue be considered offensive to the LGBTQ+ community in this day and age?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 am

I don't see the connection.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am

I love the question includes “in this day and age” as if making the gay dude a pedophile wouldn’t be considered offensive to gay people in the 80s and 90s.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am I love the question includes “in this day and age” as if making the gay dude a pedophile wouldn’t be considered offensive to gay people in the 80s and 90s.
I don't think PhoenixEX was implying that gay people wouldn't have found it offensive in that era, but more that "Joe Public" wouldn't have. If you go watch something like Friends you'll find that homosexual humor was more common and considered appropriate to most people. Today though most folks are better informed and know that it offends the people its making fun of.

General Blue I find to be more in the line of effeminate James from Pokémon with the dial turned up more. In general the only bit of humor that IMO plays directly into "oh he's gay" is the scene where Bulma tries to charm him, and in the ViZ translation Bulma says "Foey. He must be gay" with an implied tone of "Well that didn't work". But to be fair ViZ could have easily adjusted this bit of dialogue.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am

I never watched Funi dubbed version, but I just watched jap version of General Blue portion of RRA Arc...strangely, there's nothing that u mentioned off came off his character

Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 am I love the question includes “in this day and age” as if making the gay dude a pedophile wouldn’t be considered offensive to gay people in the 80s and 90s.
I don't think PhoenixEX was implying that gay people wouldn't have found it offensive in that era, but more that "Joe Public" wouldn't have. If you go watch something like Friends you'll find that homosexual humor was more common and considered appropriate to most people. Today though most folks are better informed and know that it offends the people its making fun of.

General Blue I find to be more in the line of effeminate James from Pokémon with the dial turned up more. In general the only bit of humor that IMO plays directly into "oh he's gay" is the scene where Bulma tries to charm him, and in the ViZ translation Bulma says "Foey. He must be gay" with an implied tone of "Well that didn't work". But to be fair ViZ could have easily adjusted this bit of dialogue.
But the title isnt Joe Public. It explicitly says LGBTQ and plus community.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:39 am

Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am I never watched Funi dubbed version, but I just watched jap version of General Blue portion of RRA Arc...strangely, there's nothing that u mentioned off came off his character

Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...
The part where they call him gay when he’s grossed out by Bulma trying to seduce him and later when he calls Obatchaman his type?

What are you even on about?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 am

Nailed it.

"Gay people are (all also) pedophiles" is an age-old bit of hate rhetoric used to condemn and abuse. The fact that it was played up for humor in the TV series was gross and unconscionable then and remains gross and unconscionable now.

(We did a podcast episode about it back in 2012. I don't remember what I said then, but I'd probably have more [and more-informed things] to say now.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 am

To echo what others have been saying...

Manga version of Blue: No. From what I remember, the fact that Blue's gay rarely actually comes into play in the manga, and when it does, it's never in a derogatory way. He's kind of just a villain who happens to be gay, and a fairly competent one, at that. Of the Red Ribbon Army Generals, he definitely gives Goku and company the most difficult time, and manages to snag their radar. Dare I say, for the time period and media in which he appeared, that the character is damn-near progressive? Maybe that's a stretch, but it's a stark contrast to how the anime handled him...

Anime version of Blue: Absolutely. In addition to being gay, they also turned him into a pedophile, implying that homosexuality and pedophilia go hand-in-hand. This is one of the most offensive things that I've ever seen in a children's cartoon.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 am
Even Friends pretty horrific "gay panic" jokes don't imply homosexuality = paedophilia. So that's a pretty false equivalence. It's an absolutely terrible choice on Toeis part.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 am

Also, I don't recall the gay jokes in Friends being at their expense. That's not surprising given one of the creators is gay. There were simply a lot of jokes about Ross having unwittingly married a woman who was also into women. The DB anime clearly does make jokes at the expense of gay people. Even if Blue hadn't been gay, saying a young boy was just his type is gross.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 am But the title isnt Joe Public. It explicitly says LGBTQ and plus community.
Ah, yeah that's a totally fair call. I'm not one to say but I can very much see the anime version of Blue being offensive to them.
Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am I never watched Funi dubbed version, but I just watched jap version of General Blue portion of RRA Arc...strangely, there's nothing that u mentioned off came off his character
In both the anime and the manga there's a scene where Bulma tries to get Blue to stop fighting Krillin by using his feminine wiles, only for Blue to call her disgusting. Both Bulma and Krillin conclude he must be gay. That's not even getting into the "gay people are pedophiles" stereotype that's the basis of the implied pedophilia scene of Obotchaman (did you even make it that far?).
VegettoEX wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 am (We did a podcast episode about it back in 2012. I don't remember what I said then, but I'd probably have more [and more-informed things] to say now.)
I listened to it a year or so ago during my archive binge. I believe you mentioned that it felt incredibly inappropriate and has not aged well at all. I think you might even have mentioned that the scene is for all intents and purposes completely frivolous considering how offensive the joke it's based around is.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...
All of those things you mentioned are gay stereotypes. As well as his sadistic ruthlessness, and also the whole "gay men have superhuman strength" idea with Blue's abilities etc. etc.

I think Kuririn also taunts him as something amounting to a "flaming homo" in the anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:08 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Vijay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am Blue's this what you'd call "high-class" guy. He priotizes hygiene, his order are ultimate, he prefers his commander Dock to lose some weight as he doesnt want a rolypoly to be in his team...so...where did LGBT came from? Seriously...
All of those things you mentioned are gay stereotypes. As well as his sadistic ruthlessness, and also the whole "gay men have superhuman strength" idea with Blue's abilities etc. etc.

I think Kuririn also taunts him as something amounting to a "flaming homo" in the anime.
Gay men have superhuman strength is a stereotype?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Camp gay characters aren't really politically correct these days.

But then, a lot of early DB is that way. Master Roshi is seen as offensive, Goku is classified as a mental retard, and so on. It's sad when times change and make your TV shows look awkward.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:47 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 pm Camp gay characters aren't really politically correct these days.
Difference between camp gay and offensive flaming stereotype.
But then, a lot of early DB is that way. Master Roshi is seen as offensive
He was a sexual predator by 80s standards.
, Goku is classified as a mental retard,
Wut

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I think the gay stereotype is usually the opposite of super strength.

Yep. Bulma says “Yikes he’s gay” Kuririn calls him a flaming homo and later Bulma tries to convince him she’s a man. Which is why it’s confusing how anyone didn’t get he was gay. Only the Funi dub didn’t directly state it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 pm
I think the gay stereotype is usually the opposite of super strength.
I think in Japan it's a stereotype that gay men are huge buff dudes with lots of body hair, but in the west it's a stereotype that they are effeminate - looking and scrawny.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm

It's a stereotype that they are in shape, but I've never heard of the "gay men are super strong" stereotype.