With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm
Jord wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm It would also be great if the next Xenoverse allowed us to create a genderless character!
There is no such thing. You are either a Male or female.
that's not what genderless means, and the concept of 3rd genders/more than two genders is not a new development, there's a lot of history behind it in ancient cultures. not to mention that the science is behind non binary genders, so it's not a case of the science not being there.

also intersex people exist.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm It would also be great if the next Xenoverse allowed us to create a genderless character!
What exactly would this look like?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:49 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Freeza... even though he's technically male. But can you really tell by looking at him?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:49 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Freeza... even though he's technically male. But can you really tell by looking at him?
So basically every alien that doesn't wear clothes? Sure, Freeza doesn't have junk, but he also doesn't have an asshole. Not only does he have any visible means of procreating, he also has no visible means of expelling waste. I don't think that makes him genderless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm

i think Polyphase meant in Freeza's appearance in that he's supposed too invoke feelings of androgyny, rather than in his actual sex and how all that stuff works. though honestly well yeah Freeza's is far from masculine, he's never appeared that androgynous or feminine too me, so i've never really gotten the confusion that i sometimes see people bring up.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm i think Polyphase meant in Freeza's appearance in that he's supposed too invoke feelings of androgyny, rather than in his actual sex and how all that stuff works. though honestly well yeah Freeza's is far from masculine, he's never appeared that androgynous or feminine too me, so i've never really gotten the confusion that i sometimes see people bring up.
Much of the confusion has to be the dub. He's been voiced by unmistakably female actors until relatively recently.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm i think Polyphase meant in Freeza's appearance in that he's supposed too invoke feelings of androgyny, rather than in his actual sex and how all that stuff works. though honestly well yeah Freeza's is far from masculine, he's never appeared that androgynous or feminine too me, so i've never really gotten the confusion that i sometimes see people bring up.
Much of the confusion has to be the dub. He's been voiced by unmistakably female actors until relatively recently.
I don’t know if I’d describe nine years as “relatively recent”.

Anyway, Freeza definitely has an air of androgyny about him, but not so much to the point where you have to keep reminding yourself that he’s a male.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I wrote relatively. It's certainly less than 20+ years ago when DB was at its peak.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Ooh, I typically dislike playing as original characters but if I could be a transgender catgirl...hmmm...

Being able to make non-binary characters would be interesting, too. More enby characters in the franchise in general would be a nice touch, especially if it helps educate viewers about their existence.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Namekians technically don't have genders either come to think of it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm Namekians technically don't have genders either come to think of it.
They were always written as male, but given they reproduce asexually, there's no need to have a gender distinction. I guess it's easier to write "him" than whatever the pronoun for a genderless being is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm Namekians technically don't have genders either come to think of it.
They were always written as male, but given they reproduce asexually, there's no need to have a gender distinction. I guess it's easier to write "him" than whatever the pronoun for a genderless being is.
The pronoun for non-binary folks is 'they/them'. I've also seen one who uses 'it/its' for their pronoun.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
The pronoun for non-binary folks is 'they/them'. I've also seen one who uses 'it/its' for their pronoun.
I guess it's they/them. I'm uncomfortable using it. "It" them sound like objects or animals or something other than human.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm They were always written as male, but given they reproduce asexually, there's no need to have a gender distinction. I guess it's easier to write "him" than whatever the pronoun for a genderless being is.
I guess it's they/them. I'm uncomfortable using it. "It" them sound like objects or animals or something other than human.
The world is wide and vast.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Saints Row was a great example of how to do nonbinary character customisation. I think the third game even had gender as a slider, rather than a toggle.

That said, the bare minimum a game can do to cater for non-binary or trans people is to remove restrictions on hair and clothing. I haven't played Xenoverse in a while, but I know for a fact that there are certain outfits that are gender-exclusive, and I think certain hair options might be as well. Just let anyone wear anything and it would go a long way, even if you're not prepared to give up the male/female gender choice.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:15 pm Saints Row was a great example of how to do nonbinary character customisation. I think the third game even had gender as a slider, rather than a toggle.

That said, the bare minimum a game can do to cater for non-binary or trans people is to remove restrictions on hair and clothing. I haven't played Xenoverse in a while, but I know for a fact that there are certain outfits that are gender-exclusive, and I think certain hair options might be as well. Just let anyone where anything and it would go a long way, even if you're not prepared to give up the male/female gender choice.
yeah, the xenoverse character creation is already super limited (4 choices for height, 3 choices for build), which makes it all the more frustrating. it's especially frustrating when it's something like #18's denim jacket, why not let the male character's wear that kinda stuff ?

besides who doesn't love themselves some androgyny :p

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pmyeah, the xenoverse character creation is already super limited (4 choices for height, 3 choices for build), which makes it all the more frustrating.
It would be frustrating if not for the fact that height and build affect your stats.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:09 am

I dunno if Dragon Ball is getting 'more and more' global, it's pretty much had a global syndication already, at this point it's probly just getting more popular because the people who like it have kids, and their kids like it, or a new generation are getting into Super.
Nitpicks of the topic title aside, I'd be happy to see a gay relationship represented in the franchise. It's hardly a romance based show (the few relationships shown to develop in the series are hollow, and I don't really want more than that anyway), but to see the status-quo diversified a lil would be cool. There's been gay representation in the series already, but... yeah. It'd be cool to see one that isn't, y'know, the punchline of a gag.
As for stuff like intersex, sure. I think Japan has its own way of handling non-conforming characters in their medium, I think having characters like this could further spice up the roster. A-sexuality? It's technically already there. Even without green slug men being your stand-in, someone made a good point about Goku pretty much being a-sexual, which I do agree with to a degree, though it's more likely that this character trait is more hyper-charged for simplicity, as opposed to the intention being a-sexual.

Doubt it'd happen for a while though, the country of origin just isn't there yet. Maybe give it a few more years before expecting this.

Soccerjam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soccerjam » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 pm

...get out :thumbdown:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Soccerjam wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 pm ...get out :thumbdown:
I don't understand what you mean please explain.
She/Her
bisexual milf