So Vic Mignogna is going to Super World Con this weekend. Should I get my Broly Funko Pop signed or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

So Vic Mignogna is going to Super World Con this weekend. Should I get my Broly Funko Pop signed or not?

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:49 pm

I know of the allegations, but I haven't kept up and at this point in time I don't actually know what's going on (the nitty-gritty details). I have heard that he is suing FUNimation for defamation though. Broly is honestly one of my favorite characters, but I'm debating whether or not to get my Pop signed. A friend of mine who lives in CA has an extra Broly Pop that he's willing to sell to me, and he's going to Super World Con this weekend and so is Vic. What do you guys think I should do? He asked me if I wanted his autograph since he knows I like Broly (I'd be paying him extra but it's nbd). Are you guys able to separate the man from the art? Technically the autograph would be from the man.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: So Vic Mignogna is going to Super World Con this weekend. Should I get my Broly Funko Pop signed or not?

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Hold on guys, let me take this one.

--------------

Alright, so, here's the deal. You can do whatever you please. You don't even have to stop liking the man! This world is full of good people who do bad things. Heck, the fricken Bible has King David, a man that slept with someone's wife, then murdered her husband to hide the evidence. He was punished VERY harshly... His newborn baby died, he almost lost the kingdom, and several other members of his family suffered horrible fates as a result of his decisions...

...But, he repented. Afterwards, he went back to being the hero his people knew and loved, and his ended his life a man after God's own heart. A man that always followed him in every way... Apart from those two really horrific things he did (things he still had to suffer the consequences for).

So! You love Vic... but do you also love the people he's hurt? Are you willing to listen to THEM, too? Or is it easier for you to ignore them? To call them attention seeking harpies just because it's unpleasant to think of Vic as the bad guy? Are you willing to accept that everyone must pay for their crimes, no matter HOW good of a person they are?

If your answer is "Yes", to every question except the "I want to think of his victims as bad people" thing...

Then sure, get his autograph. Like I said, you don't have to stop liking him. Just don't be harassing anyone on Twitter, or post any obviously Pro-Vic stuff in the Vic Mignogna thread and... I think we should be fine!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: So Vic Mignogna is going to Super World Con this weekend. Should I get my Broly Funko Pop signed or not?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:32 pm

It depends on what you think of the man.

Remember that you'd be paying him to do so.

So, do you feel comfortable paying this man?

--

To be clear, the allegations as they stand are plentiful and stretch back as far as 30 years, and led Funi and Rooster Teeth to sever all ties with him, and recast him in any ongoing roles he had in their productions at the time he was fired. He then seems to have been pulling his legal weight in various ways; chiefly attempting to sue Funi for defamation (which is going no where). Make of this what you will.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Did this really need a whole nother thread?

Feels flame baity to me

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 pm Did this really need a whole nother thread?

Feels flame baity to me
No, I think it's justified, given that the Vic thread is already messy enough as is.

Besides, account registrations and activations are still closed. I can't imagine Phoenix is yet another troll.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 pm

I think that's up to you to decide. Your morals are completely different from everyone here so we can't really give you an answer. All we can tell you is what he did, which is take advantage of his popularity to act in a very inappropriate way towards his female fans. Taking that into account, do you want to pay someone like that for his signature ? Do you want the signature of someone like that on something you own ? These are questions only you can answer.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:18 am

The one other thing I would suggest, since I know you haven't kept up with this, is to be VERY careful about using Youtube as any source for information... Especially if it's Nick Rekieta, Black Itachi, Perfection/Yellowflash/Supergirl (he's got a lot of different names), or Senpais home.

The main Youtube personalities a lot of Vic-Stans get their info from are people who have completely ignored Vic's urging to "spread love and understanding" & "be kind to one another". It's in their best financial interest to keep the flames burning for as long as possible...

So they tend to purposely taking things out-of-context to make Vic's victims look bad, make misleading click-bait titles, and otherwise focus more on telling you what you want to hear, rather than the actual truth. If the "nitty gritty details" end up being something you want, you'll need to seek the information elsewhere. In fact, I'll be willing to answer any questions you have via PM, if you wish.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it some thought today. You guys are right though, having his autograph would essentially be a reminder of the stuff he did but I guess to me, like I said, it's more about separating the man from the art. Just recently I heard of someone who purchased a $35 million dollar painting that was painted by someone that had committed murder.. granted the painter lived long ago and I know it's not the best example but I guess it's sort of my way of justifying this. Hell, there's people out there that probably won't get rid of their Bill Cosby autographs, and he was legally found guilty. At this point I definitely feel like I'm trying to justify this, I mean it's such a gray area but I fear that if I don't get his signature now I'll never get it, especially if he's found to be in the wrong by a court of law.

Also, just to be clear, I believe the man is guilty. Even if he's found innocent, there'll still be doubts as the accusations come from multiple sources. Still, to me someone's art and someone's actions I feel can be separated. Remember Rurouni Kenshin? The creator was arrested with having CP on his computer, which I am completely against, yet that hasn't taken away from the enjoyment that his art has brought me. Yeah I don't feel right that the money will be going to him directly, but it'd be better than overpaying a scalper on eBay for a signed Broly. Ugh, I don't know. I feel like I'm teetering back and forth.

What would you guys do though?
One World. 🌐 🕊

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 am

Is an autograph really that important to you? Either way Vic won’t be voicing Broly anymore in the future, so maybe you should just wait and have the figure signed by Broly’s future VA.
Frankly he’s not even the “real” Broly’s VA and the work he did on the new movie was nothing impressive. But that’s just my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:38 am

I have Vic’s signature on my 2003 FMA DVD. I got it in 2005.

I wish I didn’t have it. It also have Seiji Mizushima‘s autograph on it. But now Vic’s ruins it for me. At least I got Paku Romi’s autograph on something else. Yes once upon a time I was a fan of Vic’s

I am not going to tell you to get or not get an autograph. You have to make up your own mind about the person. I personally don’t think it is worth getting an autograph if you are ONLY a fan of the character. Vic is not Broly. Broly has a different Japanese VA and as someone mentioned will eventually have a different English VA.

I only get voice actor autographs if I am really a fan of their performance of that character or if I love several characters they do. Otherwise I don’t think it’s worth it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 am What would you guys do though?
I think you're doing the exact opposite of "separating the man from the art" by specifically going after a signature from the man himself.

Purchasing a painting created by a murderer isn't directly supporting that person. You can 100% argue that there's separation there.

You cannot, however, argue that paying money to get something signed directly from the man himself is any sort of separation. That's active support.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

Do you like Vic's performance as Broly?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Do what you want. You don’t need people on the internets approval.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 pm

He's asking for our opinions, though. And I agree with Ajay, if you have even a clue about what's happened and believe any of the allegations against the man, you wouldn't want to support him.

It's different from say, buying a Fullmetal Alchemist or DB blu ray that he was in, because that money doesn't go to him, and you're still allowed to enjoy his performance even if you know he's a total creep. Paying for his autograph, that's putting something toward his reputation directly, telling him he's alright, at least enough to monetarily support. Not recommended.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 am

Get it signed. If you don't want it anymore you can easily sell it to Vic's fans.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:46 am

Jord wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 am Get it signed. If you don't want it anymore you can easily sell it to Vic's fans.
Money isn't his problem. The problem he's having is a crisis of conscience. I wouldn't worry about that angle.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 am

Never understood the cult-like admiration of dub actors. They’re hired guns to fulfill the objective of hearing a foreign character speak English (and, in this case, not particularly well). Lemme get Bin Shimada’s signature and then we’re talking. :P
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 am

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 pm He's asking for our opinions, though. And I agree with Ajay, if you have even a clue about what's happened and believe any of the allegations against the man, you wouldn't want to support him.

It's different from say, buying a Fullmetal Alchemist or DB blu ray that he was in, because that money doesn't go to him, and you're still allowed to enjoy his performance even if you know he's a total creep. Paying for his autograph, that's putting something toward his reputation directly, telling him he's alright, at least enough to monetarily support. Not recommended.
I don’t support Vic at all. I’m just saying that if he wants the autograph, just get it.
Also I’d appreciate if you replied to my post if you’re responding to me.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 amAlso I’d appreciate if you replied to my post if you’re responding to me.
I've done that on occasion, too; generally when I wanted to make a larger point, and I only wanted my response to make up a small part of my post... Or when I just felt like it.

I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt Shaddy meant to snub you in any way.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 am I don’t support Vic at all. I’m just saying that if he wants the autograph, just get it.
Also I’d appreciate if you replied to my post if you’re responding to me.
Sorry, I tend to only quote when the post isn't directly above mine. It made one Vic stan super fucking angry a while back though, so that's a plus.

I wasn't saying you supported Vic, I'm saying that if OP is at all conscious of the mess Vic caused, he shouldn't do something that directly supports him, which paying for an autograph certainly does.