Would it be correct to say that the old Funi singles were an honest representation of what the show looks like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Would it be correct to say that the old Funi singles were an honest representation of what the show looks like?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:40 pm

Over the years, I've seen people say that these releases had the saturation levels increased, and sharpening filters applied. Of course, the Pioneer era singles from the late 90s also had all of the pre-existing syndication edits.

But, when I compare the singles to Funimation's subsequent releases, it's very clear their overall look has more in common with most other non-Funimation versions of the show. In these days of high def shows, the usual complaint directed towards the singles is that the quality of the footage Toei provided was horrendous from the get-go. With post-2007 releases being so heavily altered, it would appear that some now look past the fact(?) that certain alterations may have been made regarding colours and other things.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Would it be correct to say that the old Funi singles were an honest representation of what the show looks like?

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:18 am

No, the Dragon Box with corrected colors would probably be the closest representation of what the show is "supposed" to look like. As they're sourced from the original masters.

The reason dubs fro other countries look so similar is most likely due to the fact Toei gave them the same or similar footage to work with.