How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 pm

I could certainly be wrong, and if anybody can point to a source for this comment of Schemmel's, I'm happy to listen to it. That said, this sounds to me like a story that got inadvertently changed as a result of being passed along verbally by a multitude of people. My guess is that he meant that he doesn't mind the original dub still being there since it's a reminder of where he started.

As for why he didn't do any re-recording, the far more likely scenario is that he lived in NYC at the time, not Dallas (where the show was being recorded). Remote ADR recording technology has finally reached the point where he doesn't have to fly to Dallas anymore and he can record (as well as be directed) remotely in a studio at LA (North Hollywood Sound), most likely via a software program called Source-Connect. However, this is a super-recent development. For the longest time, he had to fly back to Dallas in order to record for Goku.

He mentioned at a con once that, at first, he was flying back to Dallas from NYC on his own money to keep voicing Goku, until eventually FUNimation relented and started paying him a little extra to account for his airline tickets, before eventually paying for his flights entirely. I don't know at what stage FUNimation was at in terms of paying for his flights when the re-recording was being done, but regardless, my guess remains the same: they simply didn't feel that re-dubbing Goku's dialogue was worth the extra flight money that would have been required.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: How much dialog was actually changed from the Funimation original uncut Z dub and the orange brick “uncut redub”

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I thought that at least part of the reason Schemmel didn't redub his lines was that he didn't want to travel to Texas just to repeat lines he already did or something.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 am

Schemmel could say whatever, but it's not really his decision; he's the actor, not director nor producer. What I think happened, was that he is based out of NY (right?) while it was obviously easier for Sabat, and probably Nadolny and Strait to re-do their lines.

I get that Sean wants to show how artsy he is, but he doesn't really make the decisions. Sure, he could put his foot down and threaten to quit the biggest thing he's ever done, but if Sabat or whoever really wanted that re-dub, I doubt that's a hill he was worth dying on. So... I call "BS" on Mr. Schemmel's little story.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am

I've always felt like Schemmel's Goku didn't need redubbing as much as Sabat's Vegeta. Sabat's voice for Vegeta had changed completely by the time of the redub. While Sean's acting had improved a great deal over the years, the actual voice itself wasn't that different.

Personally I've always wished they would include the unaltered dub on home releases. The redubbing on the remastered dub was inconsistent, and largely abandoned by the Trunks saga. The unaltered Funimation dub evolved and got better over time, while the Orange Brick/Blu-ray dub was all over the place.

In the old dub you had Sabat gradually going from his Drummond impression, subtly altering his voice as the show progressed, to the point where he'd made it his own by the Buu saga. In the remastered dub it starts off with his own unique take, then reverts to his Drummond impression, then gradually goes back to his own unique take again. And then you have flashbacks to the Saiyan saga where you hear the Drummond impression once again.

The old dub had a progression to it, and had Dale Kelly as the narrator for a large part of the run, who's performance I've always enjoyed.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am I've always felt like Schemmel's Goku didn't need redubbing as much as Sabat's Vegeta. Sabat's voice for Vegeta had changed completely by the time of the redub. While Sean's acting had improved a great deal over the years, the actual voice itself wasn't that different.
If you listen to Sabat's Vegeta from the original "Ginyu Saga" tapes compared to now it might as well be a different character.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm

A little off topic, but in the very least, there was way more range between Sabat's characters than now. Now, Vegeta and Piccolo sound a lot alike (especially when yelling or fighting) and even Yamucha has his moments where he sounds like Vegeta and Piccolo. This is especially annoying when characters interact together. While the early Funimation dub was performed poorly, it was better that Sabat didn't make it his own yet in that regard. Also, I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer Piccolo's old, gravelly voice in seasons 3 and 4 to the smooth voice he eventually ends up with. Though it might've been controversial with the die-hard dub fans, I think that Sabat should've passed on one of his big two roles to someone else.

As for the 2007 re-dub, it's a half-baked idea. I understand not re-dubbing the freshly re-dubbed Saiyan and Namek arcs, but if you're gonna boast a re-dub, do it all the way through. Doing it for some characters -- whose voice actors were likely hanging around the office every day anyway because they work there -- comes off lazy and half-assed. I mean, that's what the orange bricks were already, but this just added another wrinkle to it. I think if they didn't make the colossal king of all bad decisions by chopping off the top and bottom of the picture, fans' big gripe with this set might be the lazy re-dub that nobody expected, but they gave it and didn't even deliver. If you are the one hyping something up without any push for it, at least deliver.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm Also, I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer Piccolo's old, gravelly voice in seasons 3 and 4 to the smooth voice he eventually ends up with. Though it might've been controversial with the die-hard dub fans, I think that Sabat should've passed on one of his big two roles to someone else.
yeah, well overall i like Sabat's piccolo, i do get this complaint. i think it fits for piccolo post kami fusion, but it doesn't work super well for saiyan arc piccolo.

also yeah, well funimation did pretty great with most (if not all) of the recasts in Kai, but i do wish they would have gone even further with it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am I've always felt like Schemmel's Goku didn't need redubbing as much as Sabat's Vegeta. Sabat's voice for Vegeta had changed completely by the time of the redub. While Sean's acting had improved a great deal over the years, the actual voice itself wasn't that different.
Even ignoring the obvious bad acting on Schemmel’s end he did sound pretty off to me. Like he was trying to sound somewhere between Ian Corlett and Peter Kelamis. I still think his acting was pretty bad until Buu saga but for vocal consistency alone he should have redubbed his lines up until Goku starts fighting Freeza as that’s when it sounded like he started personalizing the role.
Personally I've always wished they would include the unaltered dub on home releases. The redubbing on the remastered dub was inconsistent, and largely abandoned by the Trunks saga. The unaltered Funimation dub evolved and got better over time, while the Orange Brick/Blu-ray dub was all over the place.
The original in-house dub works in conjunction with continuing where the Ocean cast left off. Of course the Funi cast does a horrid job pretending they’re the Ocean cast but still. The remastered dub clashes so horribly with the Ultimate Uncut redub especially by season 4

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:45 pm . Also, I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer Piccolo's old, gravelly voice in seasons 3 and 4 to the smooth voice he eventually ends up with
It might have been fine if it wasn’t such a horribly acted performance. Season 3 also loved giving him some of the stupidest lines which made it worse and I have no clue why Sabat didn’t redub Piccolo as well for season 3.

. Though it might've been controversial with the die-hard dub fans, I think that Sabat should've passed on one of his big two roles to someone else.
As for the 2007 re-dub, it's a half-baked idea. I understand not re-dubbing the freshly re-dubbed Saiyan and Namek arcs, but if you're gonna boast a re-dub, do it all the way through. Doing it for some characters -- whose voice actors were likely hanging around the office every day anyway because they work there -- comes off lazy and half-assed. .
Pretty much. They fix some of the dumber lines but keep 98 percent of them intact. They don’t fix the crapton of errors in reference to the Red Ribbon saga in the Android/Cell saga. They don’t go far enough with the redubbing of lines in the name of consistently (and bizarrely redub characters who didn’t need it like Maron). About the only thing they did successfully was have a consistent narrator for Z instead of 3 different ones.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am

If I remember correctly, as far as the 2007 OB partial re dub goes all of Chris Sabat's original "Drummond impression" dialogue as Vegeta was replaced by his then current voice up to around Trunks' arrival before going back to the aforementioned initial take, most of Linda Young's lines as Freeza as well as Sonny Strait's Krillin and Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan were re dubbed from the original performances up to around the mid 70 ish mark of the Namek/Freeza episodes before reverting back to the original takes. Also pretty much all of Dale Kelly's lines as Captain Ginyu sans battle grunts and screams were replaced by Brice Armstrong as the former had long since departed from FUNimation by that point. None of Sean Schemmel's early stuff as Goku was re dubbed nor Sabat's Piccolo as far as i know were replaced, and IMO they really should have because it's just so obvious they were inexperienced when first voicing the characters the first time through and how horrible they sounded before really settling into the roles later on.

There's some really awkward stuff that comes up as a result of this half measure, such as the scenes where 2005/2007 Sabat Vegeta is conversing with 1999 Schemmel Goku during his battle with the Ginyu Force and it's so bizarre to see the vast difference between the two compared to the initial version which had Vegeta with the terrible Drummond impression.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 am

I honestly can't remember what video game it's in, but there is one where Sabat really phoned it in in one section where Vegeta is talking and if you had your eyes closed you'd think it was Piccolo.

As much as I've loved, and sometimes hated, Sabat's Vegeta, I almost wish he had only done Piccolo and someone else had done Vegeta. While I think he has improved immensely I still feel like his voice just doesn't suit the character. I think Vegeta needs a more arrogant, slightly higher pitch voice, but not quite as "crazy" as Drummond.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am If I remember correctly, as far as the 2007 OB partial re dub goes all of Chris Sabat's original "Drummond impression" dialogue as Vegeta was replaced by his then current voice up to around Trunks' arrival before going back to the aforementioned initial take, most of Linda Young's lines as Freeza as well as Sonny Strait's Krillin and Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan were re dubbed from the original performances up to around the mid 70 ish mark of the Namek/Freeza episodes before reverting back to the original takes. Also pretty much all of Dale Kelly's lines as Captain Ginyu sans battle grunts and screams were replaced by Brice Armstrong as the former had long since departed from FUNimation by that point. None of Sean Schemmel's early stuff as Goku was re dubbed nor Sabat's Piccolo as far as i know were replaced, and IMO they really should have because it's just so obvious they were inexperienced when first voicing the characters the first time through and how horrible they sounded before really settling into the roles later on.

There's some really awkward stuff that comes up as a result of this half measure, such as the scenes where 2005/2007 Sabat Vegeta is conversing with 1999 Schemmel Goku during his battle with the Ginyu Force and it's so bizarre to see the vast difference between the two compared to the initial version which had Vegeta with the terrible Drummond impression.
Again, I’m referring to the actual dialog change. I know Sabat redubbed all of his dialog for Namek and Garlic jr for Vegeta but most of his lines from 2007 are exactly the same as his lines in 1999 just redubbed

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 am

ABED wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 pm It's not so ridiculous. Why pretend it didn't happen?
If he had the opportunity to re-record old dialogue that aged horribly, why not take it?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:43 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 am
ABED wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 pm It's not so ridiculous. Why pretend it didn't happen?
If he had the opportunity to re-record old dialogue that aged horribly, why not take it?
But they barely did anything to change it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 am

Damn, calling it "old" for back then. At this point, the re-dub is older than the original "Season 3" dub was when they re-dubbed it. Rub-a-dub-dub.

Let's face it, though -- just as Kai was Toei's Blu-ray release of Z, so too it was Funimation's true re-dub. I realize they had no idea Kai was coming when they did these season sets, but Kai is what the fans really wanted from a "re-dub."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 am Damn, calling it "old" for back then. At this point, the re-dub is older than the original "Season 3" dub was when they re-dubbed it. Rub-a-dub-dub.

Let's face it, though -- just as Kai was Toei's Blu-ray release of Z, so too it was Funimation's true re-dub. I realize they had no idea Kai was coming when they did these season sets, but Kai is what the fans really wanted from a "re-dub."

It’s just disappointing that it was ya know Kai and had all of Kai’s issues.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 am Damn, calling it "old" for back then. At this point, the re-dub is older than the original "Season 3" dub was when they re-dubbed it. Rub-a-dub-dub.

It’s just disappointing that it was ya know Kai and had all of Kai’s issues.
Still, even with said issues aside Kai is the best dubbed Dragon Ball material we've gotten from the FUNi cast in the last 20+ years that FUNimation has had the English license to the show. It's my preferred dub of choice especially for the Saiyan through Android arcs because i just can't bring myself to watch the old Z dub for those. All in all, it's much better acted along with having proper scripts that don't suffer from the heavy re writing and terrible jokes the former often had in heavy amounts. That's the thing i like most about the show, it gave them an opportunity to do it right and they definitely delivered for the most part on making a dub that is actually listenable and truer to the original version which their first run through back in 1999-2003 most definitely wasn't.

Even then, i do still like watching the original Z series but with that i exclusively watch it subbed (on my Dragon Boxes) and as stated prior Kai has become my primary dub version to watch at this point.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I think he was living elsewhere at the time. Why fly back and forth to re-record dialog?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 pm
I think he was living elsewhere at the time. Why fly back and forth to re-record dialog?
Especially if he's going to say the same lines in his "new" voice, which is just a higher pitch.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 am

There’s a big matter of how bad his acting was in the first 30 or so immediate in-house take over episodes. Even if he would have been saying the same face palm worthy dialog having him redub his dialog up until around the time he turned Super Saiyan would have been a notable improvement.