What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:23 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am
omegacwa wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 amNo more Broly please. I don't even want him to come back for the show/manga. Just leave him be. I want new characters and stories. Let's move into the future not dwell on the past.
Broly was too successful for the focus of the franchise to shift away from classic nostalgic ideas.
A sad state indeed.

I went to see Super:Broly because I am a fan and want to support the show, not because of Broly, who is a non-character that I don't care about. I understand that Broly is a "freak" but having just a plain old SSJ character compete with a SSGSS Fusion is so ludicrous. In movie 8 you could say that Broly was "similar to Perfect Cell/SPC" Which is completely justifiable because SSJ2 hadn't been introduced yet. Now he just has infinite potential and is a broken character. If they continue to use him I hope they introduce some kind of limiter. Like he will literally explode or something if he uses his power to much, like a weird pseudo Kaio-Ken scenario.

sintzu
Banned

Re: What canon or non-canon character(s) would you like to see return in the next installment of Dragon Ball?

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am

omegacwa wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:23 amI went to see Super:Broly because I am a fan and want to support the show, not because of Broly, who is a non-character that I don't care about.
That's the problem. We like the franchise so we want to support it but in doing so we're telling them what they're doing is OK.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 am Heh, yeah I agree, I personally felt Suno would have been a better fit for Goku overall, particularly since he had more time with Suno compared to Chi-Chi (anime filler aside).
such seems to be a typical comment between the fandom or at least wanting to see goku with another couple
Vijay wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:51 pm My whole point is if all ur gonna do my bringin back old canon/non-canon characters just to DEVALUE them....its better to leave them alone.
sintzu wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 am This 100%.

Freeza, Trunks, & Broly had nowhere close to the same impact that their original counterparts had so not only did we miss out on new content that we could've got instead, what they did give us was lacking compared to the original.
broly improved ...
Trunks is debatable but an end to his story was given.
probably frieza should not have a movie ... at least if only they would increase his power

however, I think that several movie characters could be re-written to re-introduce themselves as characters from other universes in the series

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm Trunks is debatable but an end to his story was given.

I think that several movie characters could be re-written to re-introduce themselves as characters from other universes in the series.
His story was finished when he killed the androids and Cell of his timeline, there was no need to bring him back let alone in a story very similar to his original one.

Why not just give those universes their own original characters ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:58 pm

:|
sintzu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm Trunks is debatable but an end to his story was given.

I think that several movie characters could be re-written to re-introduce themselves as characters from other universes in the series.
His story was finished when he killed the androids and Cell of his timeline, there was no need to bring him back let alone in a story very similar to his original one.

Why not just give those universes their own original characters ?
if there exist buu arc .... so no

I agree that it is a "waste" to give a movie "canon" to an old character but there are also characters from movies with good designs that were not used well ... like for example

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43743

Of course I prefer also "original" characters I like several of the ones we got but I do not think it's bad that some old ones can be used

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 am Heh, yeah I agree, I personally felt Suno would have been a better fit for Goku overall, particularly since he had more time with Suno compared to Chi-Chi (anime filler aside).
such seems to be a typical comment between the fandom or at least wanting to see goku with another couple
Huh???

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm
Huh???
nothing important for this topic, only I find it funny that I have seen many similar comments

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm such seems to be a typical comment between the fandom or at least wanting to see goku with another couple
Huh???
nothing important for this topic, only I find it funny that I have seen many similar comments
Well don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to petition Toriyama to change the canon or have Goku divorce Chi-Chi or anything. While I prefer Suno as a character I'm not about to try and alter anything. Plus after so long with Chi-Chi it's be super-weird to see her replaced anyway.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 pm
Huh???
Well don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to petition Toriyama to change the canon or have Goku divorce Chi-Chi or anything. While I prefer Suno as a character I'm not about to try and alter anything. Plus after so long with Chi-Chi it's be super-weird to see her replaced anyway.
I did not say "that" either lol.
but anyway at least for me that will not change anything from the point of view of relevance or participation

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 pm
Huh???
It wouldnt be weird tbh. Chichi has pretty much been irrelevant...as Lunch.
Only Bulma could hang-up thx to her scientific knwledge & inventions dat comes in handy from time to time.
Divorcing Chichi wouldnt mean jack to Goku...or even Gohan (cuz even he is married, has waifu & Pan) or anyone for dat matter
Goku simply wedding another gal like Suno wud at least seem....fresh😂😂😂

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 am

Vijay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm It wouldnt be weird tbh. Chichi has pretty much been irrelevant...as Lunch.
Only Bulma could hang-up thx to her scientific knwledge & inventions dat comes in handy from time to time.
Divorcing Chichi wouldnt mean jack to Goku...or even Gohan (cuz even he is married, has waifu & Pan) or anyone for dat matter
Total disagree. While Chi-Chi is hardly a prominent character, she is still a big influence on Goku's life, and if the Goku Black arc is any indication, he still cares for her super deeply. You can't just throw her away like that.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 am
Vijay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm It wouldnt be weird tbh. Chichi has pretty much been irrelevant...as Lunch.
Total disagree. While Chi-Chi is hardly a prominent character, she is still a big influence on Goku's life, and if the Goku Black arc is any indication, he still cares for her super deeply. You can't just throw her away like that.
Oh...so u consider Super as a relevant thing🤔
Except filler stuffs (Wedding Dress Arc in DB) I hardly ever felt Goku has ever cared for Chichi....I liked her as a DragonBall character...but her impact on Goku's life has been minimal to almost non-existant

At least Veggie was tamed by Bulma & dude straight-up sacrificed himself against Fat Boo for safe-guarding his waifu, son etc

Not speakin of throwin away like ragdoll or sumthing. All I'm sayin is Goku would've had much meaningful & peaceful life livin with Suno/Snow

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 am

I doubt his home/romantic life would've been any more fulfilling with Suno. You're correct that Goku isn't in love with Chichi, but that has less to do with her specifically and more due to his overwhelming drive to be the best martial artist he can be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Goku's driven by his passion perhaps obsession over fightin stronger opponents, outdoing himself & protecting his F&F

Its always nice to have a companion/partner with similar attitude, mindset & goal

The way I see it, Suno is innocent, tender, kind-hearted & deeply caring girl. And Goku is pretty much good-spirited, innocent boy

Someone like Suno/Snow would only cheer up for Goku's progression. His every step forward. Be it training solo. Go outerspace waging war conquering galatic tyrants. Train her childrens. Search DB's

Chichi always had this "settle life with marriage" mindset. And her hubby needs to work/earn. Her kids gotta be scholars. Bla bla bla

Not drawing a comparison right here. But as you can see, there's stark contrast between Suno/Snow's complete trust/faith in Goku's path...accepting & value Son-kun's priorities over Chichi's constant "nagging" and "over-expectations".

Suno/Snow definetly has a lot more common personality traits similar to Goku...and dat itself would lead a peaceful marital life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:18 pm

But there's no conflict there and home life has never been a priority for DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Here's two characters I actually wouldn't mind seeing again:

Lunch
Android 8 (I know he randomly showed up in Super for 1 second)

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:42 pm

omegacwa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:00 pm Here's two characters I actually wouldn't mind seeing again:

Lunch
Android 8 (I know he randomly showed up in Super for 1 second)
I rewatched DB few days back & Lunch was utilized really well. Had a blast watchin her histrionics with pervert Roshi, funny Krillin & her tomboy persona simply roasting everyone elze😂😂😂 if only Super had her...there wouldnt be lack of comedy for sure

But dats the thing really. Db/Dbz lore has like over 200+ characters with untapped potential

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Again with that damn word - potential. Lunch was a gag character that stayed around for a long time and was never useful plot-wise. She was good for a joke. That's it. She had a good run.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 am
Except filler stuffs (Wedding Dress Arc in DB) I hardly ever felt Goku has ever cared for Chichi....I liked her as a DragonBall character...but her impact on Goku's life has been minimal to almost non-existant

At least Veggie was tamed by Bulma & dude straight-up sacrificed himself against Fat Boo for safe-guarding his waifu, son etc

Not speakin of throwin away like ragdoll or sumthing. All I'm sayin is Goku would've had much meaningful & peaceful life livin with Suno/Snow
technically goku angryed before when his friends died krillin and roshi so really that scene should not be different that and the author keeps saying that goku does not see chichi and gohan as wife and son if not as friends important

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm
Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 am

technically goku angryed before when his friends died krillin and roshi so really that scene should not be different that and the author keeps saying that goku does not see chichi and gohan as wife and son if not as friends important
I dont understand what ur sayin tbh?
Ur meaning Goku only views his friends like Krillin & Roshi as important?
I dont mind either way. Anger is subjective
Same kid who got angry for killing his friend against Tambourine, Daimou later Frieza becamepretty much laid-back upon realizing Vegeta, Gohan, Kibito, West Metro City & most of humanity are dead😂😂😂
Its as if....dude himself has seen death. And reaped tons of benefit from it (SSJ2, SSJ3, Fusion Dance)...so all is good for him I believe
The hot-boiling blood has cooled-down considerably