Backstory of Saiyans.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Backstory of Saiyans.

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:46 pm

I was reading Herms guide and it got me interested to create this thread to discuss a few stuff that were changed due to Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Alright, let's get to it:
The Saiyans and Tsufurujins War
  • The war was known to have taken place somewhere between AGE 720 and AGE 730. According to Saiyans' appearances, they were not yet members of Freeza's army. Then enters Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which tells us that Freeza not only ruled the Saiyans for "just" five years (from AGE 734 to AGE 739), King Cold was previously in charge. In that scene in which appears an image of Freeza and King Cold behind Bardock, the latter says that King Cold appeared and started to rule them, to which Leek replies that "it was a long time ago".

Now, "a long time ago" would definitely change when the war takes place, specially if we take into consideration the information that a moon only appears in planet Plant once every eight years (though that's a tidbit which would most likely be ignored if Toriyama would ever show his version).
My comment: I wouldn't mind the change, honestly. When the war takes place is not much important, but I really would like to know if Bardock also fought. If so, he was certainly a kid or a teenager by that time. One of the reasons I want to see the war is because of his age and contrast him with adult (more specifically, the 23rd Tournament) Goku.

King Vegeta
  • So, as implied by the guidebooks, King Vegeta is the first king of the Saiyans. He got the title by "merit" after leading the Saiyans to war. Then enters Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which tells us he is actually the third. That not only tells us that King Vegeta may not have led the Saiyans against Tsufurujins, the monarchy may have been established before the war (or even before Saiyans traveled to planet Planet).
My comment: I never realized this until now. And damn I don't like it. King Vegeta, king of the Saiyans and the father of the deuteragonist of the franchise. Never appeared in the manga and was only briefly mentioned once during its run. The only thing the character had in his favor, given to him by the guidebooks, was taken away due to new material. :| What has the character accomplished now that the only event he was part of may have been taken from him?

Tarble
  • In the OVA, Vegeta says that Tarble was sent to another planet by their father due to his lack of talent for battle. In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Vegeta does not know what happens to him.
My comment: More than a change, I'd say this is a contradiction. And mostly because of the movie, which simply decided to change when the scene that depicts kid Vegeta with kid Raditz and Nappa occurs. Now follow my train of thought:

If that scene had happened before the destruction of planet Vegeta (as it is the case in Dragon Ball Minus), we could assume that King Vegeta told Vegeta what had happened to his brother (and that is assuming King Vegeta died not by facing Freeza, but he was sitting on his throne or doing anything else when the planet was destroyed). But according Dragon Ball Super: Broly, that scene takes place after the destruction of planet Vegeta and King Vegeta was certainly dead by that time. How does Vegeta gets to know what happened to Tarble once the latter goes to Earth? We'll never know.

Anyway, what do you think of all this? Should Toriyama or anyone else depict one definite version of all these stuff (with chances of more things being altered) or let it be convoluted as is?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Backstory of Saiyans.

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:24 pm

The Saiyan-Tsufuru war was never mentioned in the manga. It may belong in the bin alongside many other tidbits Toriyama gave during the years.
King Vegeta being the 3rd king of the Saiyans was a tidbit I actually appreciated as it gives Saiyan’s history some more mystery which I like.
Vegeta not telling other Saiyans about Tarble being unable to fight and sent to another planet may have been a pride thing to him. It’s possible that Toriyama just forgot so I will head canon this.

I am interested in the Saiyan-Tsufuru war to see more of King Vegeta, Bardock, if they ever participated. I think it could make an interesting TV Special.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 pm

What reason is there to mine that material? We're long past the point in the series where that would be useful. Baby's connection to those events was the last and only time it should've been brought back.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm

About Tarble, wouldn't it be possible for Vegeta to find stuff out later from the data in Freeza's army's database?
I mean, originally Raditz knew about Goku's pod being launched without having it told to him by Bardock or Gine, you could imply that he knew it by looking it up or having someone else do it for him.
The only issue really is that the information is so vague you can't even tell if this would be even possible.

Something else worth mentioning is that Vegeta recognizes Cabba's armor during the U6 tournament arc, meaning that the Saiyans were militarized at some point before King Cold showed up.
The old DBZ continuity implied that the Saiyans stole the technology from the Tsufurujins, such as the scouters and armors, at least in the anime. But with the Broly movie, it's shown that the scouters and armors came from the King Cold army.

There is also the issue with the original Super Saiyan God and the "evil Saiyans", as well as with the first Super Saiyan.
At some point, you have the war between the righteous Saiyans and the evil ones, the SSG ritual happening and the defeat of the original SSG.
It is also implied that sometime in the past there was a Saiyan that went Super Saiyan, creating the legend.
While these events aren't dated, it would be a good idea to include them in a timeline for the Saiyans.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:40 pm

There is not much mention of the king vegeta although toei wanted to make it look him like someone very intelligent, however made mistakes with broly and the attempt of acesinato de frieza with a very small group of soldiers seems a bit strange with the supposed rebellion against the tsufuru's race

Tsufuru race does not exist in the manga ... but some designs were created by the author in the anime.
even the author said that it was they who created the scouters but actually this changed later ... currently the creator was Kikono in Dragon ball super broly leaving the tsufuru race out of the canon

The existence of tarble is debatable for now simply because its inclusion is not necessary because it is not relevant but is mentioned at least.
Last edited by Tai Lung on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:12 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:24 pmThe Saiyan-Tsufuru war was never mentioned in the manga. It may belong in the bin alongside many other tidbits Toriyama gave during the years.
You don't need a mention, though. The fact that a planet was named after someone who was still alive obviously implies something happened, like a war.

But Dragon Ball Super manages to change that, the planet could have been named after King Vegeta I and it merely continued up until the third. Thus diminishing the only thing King Vegeta III accomplished.
emperior wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:24 pmI'm interested in the Saiyan-Tsufuru war to see more of King Vegeta, Bardock, if they ever participated. I think it could make an interesting TV Special.
Indeed. Way more interesting than what we've been getting since 2015.
Akamay wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pmAbout Tarble, wouldn't it be possible for Vegeta to find stuff out later from the data in Freeza's army's database?
I mean, originally Raditz knew about Goku's pod being launched without having it told to him by Bardock or Gine, you could imply that he knew it by looking it up or having someone else do it for him.
The only issue really is that the information is so vague you can't even tell if this would be even possible.
If Freeza's army had such information that a Saiyan was alive, I'm pretty sure Tarble would have been dead already. Abo and Cado may have found him by coincidence. I think King Vegeta sent Tarble in secret too, just like Bardock and Gine sent Goku.
Akamay wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pmSomething else worth mentioning is that Vegeta recognizes Cabba's armor during the U6 tournament arc, meaning that the Saiyans were militarized at some point before King Cold showed up.
I don't think it's worth, to be honest. I mean, there is that "Namekuseijin book of legends" that was mentioned only in the anime, but it seems to be a Toriyama's tidbit. Then there are stuff only in the manga that may have come from Toriyama but is nowhere to be seen in the anime... It's really complicated to take into consideration anything Dragon Ball Super establishes, specially these details.
Akamay wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pmThere is also the issue with the original Super Saiyan God and the "evil Saiyans", as well as with the first Super Saiyan.
At some point, you have the war between the righteous Saiyans and the evil ones, the SSG ritual happening and the defeat of the original SSG.
It is also implied that sometime in the past there was a Saiyan that went Super Saiyan, creating the legend.
While these events aren't dated, it would be a good idea to include them in a timeline for the Saiyans.
The Yamoshi/Legendary Super Saiyan stuff happened when the Saiyans were still living in planet Sadala, while the original Super Saiyan God happened when the Saiyans were already living in planet Plant. That's the best you're gonna get for now. It would be great to know with more details when these events happened, tying it with the Vegeta monarchy.
Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:40 pmThe existence of tarble is debatable for now simply because its inclusion is not necessary because it is not relevant but is mentioned at least.
The existence of Tarble is unquestionable. He is mentioned twice in two different works that have total involvement of the author and appears in a family tree.

Then again, even if there wasn't a mention, he would still exist somewhere. Maybe in another dimension of Universe 7 just like movie villains, but he would be there regardless of anything. As this is how Dragon Ball works.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:12 pm The existence of Tarble is unquestionable. He is mentioned twice in two different works that have total involvement of the author and appears in a family tree.

Then again, even if there wasn't a mention, he would still exist somewhere. Maybe in another dimension of Universe 7 just like movie villains, but he would be there regardless of anything. As this is how Dragon Ball works.
with existence I mean that the staff or the author could have "retconned" his OVA original to be replaced in DB Super broly with the new mention of vegeta