FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm
These are apparently out now if anyone cares. Of course my local FYE took it upon themselves to immediately choke the things in a spider wrap, destroying the boxes and ensuring that they’ll sit right alongside the other orange brick box that’s been there for years to come. I don’t know what I hate more, these things or those plastic security cases some Targets like to cram their movies into, destroying the slipcover. I purposely go out of my way to the Target one town over for me to buy movies rather than my local one because they don’t do that.

Anyway, here they are in all their craptacular glory. In case anyone is wondering, the seasons do not have their slipcovers, they go right into the box. It’s really not a bad concept - for 2009.

Image

Image

Image
If that slipcase for the Blue Bricks ever winds up on eBay on its own (wouldn't shock me, I see people selling just the slipcover all the time) I just might pick it up if it's not stupid expensive. It looks rather nice.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:11 pm

As nice as the slipcase is, it’s FYE exclusive, so bet on it to never go down in price. At $160 you’re paying $32 per set, so if you don’t have any yet and want them, it’s not bad I guess considering you can get them individually for $20, but never buy one crushed by a spider wrap like that one.

Slipcovers by themselves are easy to find if you know where to look, some may be more difficult to find than others (I dare you to try and find the slipcover for Thor: Ragnarok in 4K at a reasonable price), but I don’t really slipboxes or slipcases come up all that often.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3285
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:13 pm
Char Aznable wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm
Anyway, here they are in all their craptacular glory. In case anyone is wondering, the seasons do not have their slipcovers, they go right into the box. It’s really not a bad concept - for 2009.

Image
Man, I reeeeeeeeally want that OG Dragon Ball slipcase!
Really dont think the blue bricks are that bad. The DNRing isn what bothers me but the banding in the blacks kills me lol

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm
Really dont think the blue bricks are that bad. The DNRing isn what bothers me but the banding in the blacks kills me lol
They definitely could be better, namely that the colours aren't even trying to be authentic, in particular the greens.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm
Really dont think the blue bricks are that bad. The DNRing isn what bothers me but the banding in the blacks kills me lol
They definitely could be better, namely that the colours aren't even trying to be authentic, in particular the greens.
I mean yeah the Blue Bricks could certainly stand to be improved in those areas, but all in all i find them decent enough as is to own and watch the series as they're certainly way better than the Orange Bricks.

I believe they trump them mostly because of a.) Being presented in the correct aspect ratio and b.) A much less egregious application of DNR compared to the former especially the bricks of the seasons comprising the Saiyan and Namek arcs.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm
Really dont think the blue bricks are that bad. The DNRing isn what bothers me but the banding in the blacks kills me lol
They definitely could be better, namely that the colours aren't even trying to be authentic, in particular the greens.
I mean yeah they could certainly stand to be improved in those areas, but all in all i find them decent enough as is to own and watch the series as they're certainly way better than the Orange Bricks.

I believe they trump them mostly because of a.) Being presented in the correct aspect ratio and b.) A much less egregious application of DNR compared to the former especially the bricks of the seasons comprising the Saiyan and Namek arcs.
Agreed. I think in terms of the show itself, using Kikuchi's score and a dub of the Mystical Adventure song also helps A LOT, as for me watching as a kid it really helped the tone of the show feel special and earnest.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:32 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

They definitely could be better, namely that the colours aren't even trying to be authentic, in particular the greens.
I mean yeah they could certainly stand to be improved in those areas, but all in all i find them decent enough as is to own and watch the series as they're certainly way better than the Orange Bricks.

I believe they trump them mostly because of a.) Being presented in the correct aspect ratio and b.) A much less egregious application of DNR compared to the former especially the bricks of the seasons comprising the Saiyan and Namek arcs.
Agreed. I think in terms of the show itself, using Kikuchi's score and a dub of Mystical Adventure also helps A LOT, as for me watching as a kid it really helped the tone of the show feel special and earnest.
I know right, and i like that as opposed to Z and GT they didn't foist an unfitting replacement score into it and kept the original intended score, with exception of the 1995 BLT dub of the Pilaf episodes. Although the 2001 DB dub itself is no doubt flawed and inaccurate per the norm for FUNi's methods of adapting or "reversioning" at the time, i can actually enjoy it and bear to watch the show with it on which is more than can be said for the former two's dubs and it at least retains the feeling of the original more that the others which were so heavily altered.

User avatar
funrush
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: United States

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:01 pm

It's cool that this exists. I don't know who it's for, since it costs a lot more than getting the sets individually, and also Blu Ray is a thing that exists and is widespread now. But yeah, kinda neat.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2867
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by coola » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:09 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Char Aznable wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm
These are apparently out now if anyone cares. Of course my local FYE took it upon themselves to immediately choke the things in a spider wrap, destroying the boxes and ensuring that they’ll sit right alongside the other orange brick box that’s been there for years to come. I don’t know what I hate more, these things or those plastic security cases some Targets like to cram their movies into, destroying the slipcover. I purposely go out of my way to the Target one town over for me to buy movies rather than my local one because they don’t do that.

Anyway, here they are in all their craptacular glory. In case anyone is wondering, the seasons do not have their slipcovers, they go right into the box. It’s really not a bad concept - for 2009.

Image

Image

Image
If that slipcase for the Blue Bricks ever winds up on eBay on its own (wouldn't shock me, I see people selling just the slipcover all the time) I just might pick it up if it's not stupid expensive. It looks rather nice.
If you ave DB boxset, could you please do closer pictures of front and back up?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Post Reply