FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Kikuchi Kai is a horrible sampling of Kikuchi’s music in Z. The Kikuchi score fits Z perfectly and feels like a proper continuation to the original Dragon Ball.

Kikuchi’s music in Kai was severely limited and badly placed its hardly indicative of anything.
Yeah, i think Yamamoto's score fits Kai much better than the Kikuchi replacement, but unfortunately the scandal hit right in the middle of it being released here so we didn't get it as long as the Fuji broadcast.
The problem with the Yamamoto music (besides plagiarism obviously) was how repetitive it was. They had like....a single track for sad music? (Mournful woman wailing) compare Goku asking Kuririn to spare Vegeta in Z where the “The Battle is won” music from Return my Gohan!” is usedto where the “mournful woman wails” music in Kai which was also used when Goku dies and when Vegeta dies and when Guru dies and etc etc
I mean yes Yamamoto's score isn't perfect and is repetitive not to mention sampled/plagiarized/ripped off and whatever else, though with that said it didn't feel nearly as awkwardly placed as the replacement score which was done haphazardly due to the scandal dropping and as compared to Z they used so little because it was sourced from the stereo mixed versions on the CD soundtracks, and not to mention using a relatively limited number of the music selections from them. So it really feels even more awkward watching after Kai episode 52 on FUNi's release because the original Z versions of those same exact episodes had much better placement of said tracks.

I think Yamaoto's score at least fits the product Kai is, that being a refreshed and closer to the manga version of DBZ. The Kikuchi replacement score on the other hand felt like something that was inserted with little thought or care on Toei's end.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:50 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the season sets used?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Yeah, i think Yamamoto's score fits Kai much better than the Kikuchi replacement, but unfortunately the scandal hit right in the middle of it being released here so we didn't get it as long as the Fuji broadcast.
The problem with the Yamamoto music (besides plagiarism obviously) was how repetitive it was. They had like....a single track for sad music? (Mournful woman wailing) compare Goku asking Kuririn to spare Vegeta in Z where the “The Battle is won” music from Return my Gohan!” is usedto where the “mournful woman wails” music in Kai which was also used when Goku dies and when Vegeta dies and when Guru dies and etc etc
I mean yes Yamamoto's score isn't perfect and is repetitive not to mention sampled/plagiarized/ripped off and whatever else, though with that said it didn't feel nearly as awkwardly placed as the replacement score which was done haphazardly due to the scandal dropping and as compared to Z they used so little because it was sourced from the stereo mixed versions on the CD soundtracks, and not to mention using a relatively limited number of the music selections from them. So it really feels even more awkward watching after Kai episode 52 on FUNi's release because the original Z versions of those same exact episodes had much better placement of said tracks.

I think Yamaoto's score at least fits the product Kai is, that being a refreshed and closer to the manga version of DBZ. The Kikuchi replacement score on the other hand felt like something that was inserted with little thought or care on Toei's end.
I find the best way to watch Kai is a mixture of Yamamoto and Kikuchi because the placements of both scores are very repetitive. I watched the later episodes with Yamamoto in Japanese and the novelty of a "more cinematic score" eventually wears off.

The Manga UK Blu-Ray seasons are a great option for anyone living in Region B or who has a multiregion player. You get Yamamoto for a good 39 episodes and they can be found cheaply on CeX. It might also be a good time to buy them new now that Funimation owns Manga, there is a slim chance all their Kai seasons will be reprinted with the replacement score only.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am I find the best way to watch Kai is a mixture of Yamamoto and Kikuchi because the placements of both scores are very repetitive. I watched the later episodes with Yamamoto in Japanese and the novelty of a "more cinematic score" eventually wears off.
That reminds me, I still need to go and do that project where I replace all the Kai music with Kikuchi's score as it was placed in the original anime... I'll probably keep the new insert songs and instances of Dragon Soul for kicks though, heheh.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am I find the best way to watch Kai is a mixture of Yamamoto and Kikuchi because the placements of both scores are very repetitive. I watched the later episodes with Yamamoto in Japanese and the novelty of a "more cinematic score" eventually wears off.
That reminds me, I still need to go and do that project where I replace all the Kai music with Kikuchi's score as it was placed in the original anime... I'll probably keep the new insert songs and instances of Dragon Soul for kicks though, heheh.

You should replace Dragon Soul with the instrumental of Mystical Adventure :P

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am
KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am
You should replace Dragon Soul with the instrumental of Mystical Adventure :P
I would do that if that use of Dragon Soul didn't give me goosebumps every time I watch that recap! It's just so awesome that the original Dragon Ball gets the nod there because IT IS an important part of the story! And to date it's the only OG DB anime content available in HD.

I mean if I do that I may as well replace the Planet Vegeta stuff with Broly content, right??

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am
I mean if I do that I may as well replace the Planet Vegeta stuff with Broly content, right??
Don’t think it would hurt *shrug*

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 pm

The Manga UK Blu-Ray seasons are a great option for anyone living in Region B or who has a multiregion player. You get Yamamoto for a good 39 episodes and they can be found cheaply on CeX. It might also be a good time to buy them new now that Funimation owns Manga, there is a slim chance all their Kai seasons will be reprinted with the replacement score only.
This is the very reason why I went through the trouble of hunting down the Kai Part volumes rather than just the cheap and easy option of getting the Season Sets. The transition is almost perfect, it kind of sucks that Part 5 has the last two Freeza episodes and makes me wonder why they couldn’t just put them on Part 4, but other than that once you get to Part 5 which is mostly Cell and it goes to Kikuchi it kind of works.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 pm This is the very reason why I went through the trouble of hunting down the Kai Part volumes rather than just the cheap and easy option of getting the Season Sets. The transition is almost perfect, it kind of sucks that Part 5 has the last two Freeza episodes and makes me wonder why they couldn’t just put them on Part 4, but other than that once you get to Part 5 which is mostly Cell and it goes to Kikuchi it kind of works.
Huh, this was my experience when I watched my pirated videos, before I got the Blu-Rays. I agree that it does KINDA work, to match the change in arc moving away from Saiyan and Frieza baddies. Still doesn't solve the music not getting new tracks once Frieza steps up to fight.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Lmao how does this have a better box design colour scheme and all then the actual 30th anniversary release?... :lol:

We have nothing but morons running Dragon Ball.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:53 pm

So I´m about to buy the bricks (not this edition though, too expensive and as I said in a previous post, no GT), anybody knows if when playing an episode dubbed with original score the op stays in jap (USA version)? I don´t like the english version of the openings. :cry:

I would like to know about the orange, blue and green bricks. I think the UK version is different from the USA one (it seems the packaging is different, and apparently there´s background music in every menu, unlike the UK version), so I was hoping they didn´t make the op´s in american (despite selecting the original score).

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:07 pm

anubisj wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:53 pm So I´m about to buy the bricks (not this edition though, too expensive and as I said in a previous post, no GT), anybody knows if when playing an episode dubbed with original score the op stays in jap (USA version)? I don´t like the english version of the openings. :cry:

I would like to know about the orange, blue and green bricks. I think the UK version is different from the USA one (it seems the packaging is different, and apparently there´s background music in every menu, unlike the UK version), so I was hoping they didn´t make the op´s in american (despite selecting the original score).
if you select the dub w/ the original score then yes i believe it should play the original openings and outros, and if not, it shouldn't be too hard to just switch audio tracks on your dvd player or something like vlc for the opening.

as for the blue and green bricks, those only include the original score, so if you select the dub track, it's the dubbed version of the intros.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:18 pm

The Green Bricks do include the dub score, but it still plays the dubbed Japanese openings and endings.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pm

"Step into the Grand Tour" plays during the TV Special's ending on the American score track for whatever reason.

AFAIK every 'English with Japanese score' option outside of the Dragon Boxes uses an instrumental rock track instead of Cha-La Head Cha-La. The "remastered" movies, Levels and Microsoft versions do, at least.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pm "Step into the Grand Tour" plays during the TV Special's ending on the American score track for whatever reason.

AFAIK every 'English with Japanese score' option outside of the Dragon Boxes uses an instrumental rock track instead of Cha-La Head Cha-La. The "remastered" movies, Levels and Microsoft versions do, at least.
Don't forget both the Orange Bricks and Blu-Ray Season Sets

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm
LostTimeLord wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 pm "Step into the Grand Tour" plays during the TV Special's ending on the American score track for whatever reason.

Yes, the Dragon Boxes are indeed the only release of the series from FUNi that have Cha-La Head Cha-La and We Gotta Power on the opening when the dub with JPN score audio track is playing. I'm not surprised why it got corrected there due to the intended nature of the release, though at the same time on every other release since it's still that same guitar instrumental instead of the proper Japanese openings.

I have speculated before that the instrumental was intended to only be included on the dub with the U.S music track (Johnson, Faulconer.etc) thoug they might have mistakenly pasted it onto the dub w/Kikuchi score track when in theory it really shouldn't have been. I mean, the endings are indeed Zenkai Power and We Were Angels as they should be so the opening being the same as on the broadcast track doesn't make sense.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Yes, the Dragon Boxes are indeed the only release of the series from FUNi that have Cha-La Head Cha-La and We Gotta Power on the opening when the dub with JPN score audio track is playing. I'm not surprised why it got corrected there due to the intended nature of the release, though at the same time on every other release since it's still that same guitar instrumental instead of the proper Japanese openings.

I have speculated before that the instrumental was intended to only be included on the dub with the U.S music track (Johnson, Faulconer.etc) thoug they might have mistakenly pasted it onto the dub w/Kikuchi score track when in theory it really shouldn't have been. I mean, the endings are indeed Zenkai Power and We Were Angels as they should be so the opening being the same as on the broadcast track doesn't make sense.
But at the same time, how could they have made a mistake three times? This happens on the orange, blue and green bricks.

It´s a shame, really. I guess I could start the episode with japanese audio, and then somehow switch to the dub after the op.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:19 am

anubisj wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

But at the same time, how could they have made a mistake three times? This happens on the orange, blue and green bricks.

It´s a shame, really. I guess I could start the episode with japanese audio, and then somehow switch to the dub after the op.
My thinking on this thing is it was an error that FUNimation made way back in 2007 when the "dub with Kikuchi score" track was initially put on the Orange Bricks, and maybe they for some reason of which I couldn't personally tell you just didn't bother fixing said mistake aside from the obvious exception of the Dragon Boxes. Still though, it doesn't make any sense to me why they still have left that guitar instrumental with multiple opportunities to correct for each subsequent release since then. Simply put, it isn't truly what's being claimed as that one bit from the broadcast track being present on there kind of deflates the audio track's intented purpose of presenting the FUNi dub with the original intended musical score for the series.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm

These are apparently out now if anyone cares. Of course my local FYE took it upon themselves to immediately choke the things in a spider wrap, destroying the boxes and ensuring that they’ll sit right alongside the other orange brick box that’s been there for years to come. I don’t know what I hate more, these things or those plastic security cases some Targets like to cram their movies into, destroying the slipcover. I purposely go out of my way to the Target one town over for me to buy movies rather than my local one because they don’t do that.

Anyway, here they are in all their craptacular glory. In case anyone is wondering, the seasons do not have their slipcovers, they go right into the box. It’s really not a bad concept - for 2009.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm Anyway, here they are in all their craptacular glory. In case anyone is wondering, the seasons do not have their slipcovers, they go right into the box. It’s really not a bad concept - for 2009.

Man, I reeeeeeeeally want that OG Dragon Ball slipcase!