Does Dragon Ball as a Franchise goes in your right Direction ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: Does Dragon Ball as a Franchise goes in your right Direction ?

Post by MajinMan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:34 am

If I’m understanding right, then no it did not go in my direction... kinda. I remember as a kid I would imagine stuff like Super Saiyan 10 and thought it would be cool that after 10 you restart at 1, but your hair turns blue. I guess I kinda got what I wanted from a long time ago. But overall I’m happy it didn’t end up going my way because it would’ve been a complete and utter trash heap that nobody would like lol.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:53 am

Currently yes. They released a fine movie and quit production on Db Super, which honestly was an embarrassment to the franchise with its lack of story progression, retcons and hair dye power ups.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:30 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm No.

I don't mind the idea of new stories in Dragon Ball, but I feel the genuine sense of progression has been lost for the most part. It feels like everything has been stopped in its place. The lack of any significant psychical growth for Goten and Trunks epitomise this current stagnation in storytelling Dragon Ball is going though. And all of this ultimately stems from the complacency of Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro unwillingness to have any major narrative beyond arguably the most uneventful and "safe" time period of the original story.

Honestly, if you're not going to do anything progressive, wholesome or even off-handily whimsical and charming with Dragon Ball's story, just end it.
Modern DB is actually showing progression much better than the original manga. Just because characters have grown up doesn't mean we have seen them progress. We missed 7 years of Gohan's progression from child to young adult similarly we missed 7yrs of Goten and how did Goten progress from being born to the start of the Buu arc? We don't know because it's all skipped over.

It's made even worse by Vegeta and why his Majin turn meant very little because the last time we saw Vegeta he was an asshole in the Cell arc and we skipped 7yrs of him become "domesticated" so when he turns "evil" you feel very little, extremely poor storytelling. Whereas if the Majin turn happened now we would absolutely feel it as we for 5 years have actually seen Vegeta be a so called good guy, family man etc.

Goten & Trunks being physically grown up is pointless and a false idea of progression, we see little of them sure but at least we get to see them being actual characters, ie Goten teaching Goku how to shop or Goten not finding things cool lile he did in the Buu arc that's actual progression right there. We've seen Vegeta begrudgingly take his family for holiday before ditching them to train at the start of DBS and seen him progress that side of him to the point he turns down a tournament because is wife is pregnant.

Just because characters look the same doesn't mean they aren't progressing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:30 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm No.

I don't mind the idea of new stories in Dragon Ball, but I feel the genuine sense of progression has been lost for the most part. It feels like everything has been stopped in its place. The lack of any significant psychical growth for Goten and Trunks epitomise this current stagnation in storytelling Dragon Ball is going though. And all of this ultimately stems from the complacency of Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro unwillingness to have any major narrative beyond arguably the most uneventful and "safe" time period of the original story.

Honestly, if you're not going to do anything progressive, wholesome or even off-handily whimsical and charming with Dragon Ball's story, just end it.
Modern DB is actually showing progression much better than the original manga. Just because characters have grown up doesn't mean we have seen them progress. We missed 7 years of Gohan's progression from child to young adult similarly we missed 7yrs of Goten and how did Goten progress from being born to the start of the Buu arc? We don't know because it's all skipped over.

It's made even worse by Vegeta and why his Majin turn meant very little because the last time we saw Vegeta he was an asshole in the Cell arc and we skipped 7yrs of him become "domesticated" so when he turns "evil" you feel very little, extremely poor storytelling. Whereas if the Majin turn happened now we would absolutely feel it as we for 5 years have actually seen Vegeta be a so called good guy, family man etc.

Goten & Trunks being physically grown up is pointless and a false idea of progression, we see little of them sure but at least we get to see them being actual characters, ie Goten teaching Goku how to shop or Goten not finding things cool lile he did in the Buu arc that's actual progression right there. We've seen Vegeta begrudgingly take his family for holiday before ditching them to train at the start of DBS and seen him progress that side of him to the point he turns down a tournament because is wife is pregnant.

Just because characters look the same doesn't mean they aren't progressing.
We missed Gohan physically growing up but we didn't miss any significant change in his personality.

How Goten progressed wasn't important. We know in essence what happened - he grew up in a peaceful time. He's super strong but sees fighting as more about play. Nothing important was skipped over. We know why Vegeta allows himself to become domestic and we are shown enough to understand and feel why Vegeta turns. He's desperate to fight Goku and Goku has only a day in the living world.

It seems like you want stuff spelled out for you. I don't think you understand what good storytelling is. You skip over the uneventful moments like peace times because there's no conflict.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:36 pm

It's progressing as I expected, but as I've been a fan for longer, I've wanted less material, unless it's games. Sometimes things just have a natural place to end, and Dragon Ball is one of them. It honestly could've ended before Boo or even Cell, but I would have ended it after EoZ myself. When I was younger, I used to want more media to be created for things I was into, but as I've gotten older I've felt more comfortable with definite endings. The main advantage for making more media is to attract new, younger fans to carry on the fandom into the future, but honestly Dragon Ball is basically universal at this point and it's the sort of thing you can easily pass down through the generations, so I think the series could remain appreciated even without extra media.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am I don't really have a "direction" I want them to go in as I don't want to impose personal guidelines like that, but I do wish we have a little bit more of an introspective angle where we got to explore the characters a bit more. I also liked the world tour feel of the early days before the 23rd Tournament, but the abilities of the characters nowadays negates a lot of that from working.
I agree with this.

Also I'd like to see a bit more humor, though that's a subjective point.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Soccerjam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soccerjam » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Since Dragon Ball Z Kai, no. :thumbdown:

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:02 am

Honestly I think super was a horrible misstep in terms of character development and lackluster plot lines. The manga had some excellent character development over its run and I like how one plot kinda lead into the next at least up until the buu saga. Super just feels too childish which yes its made for children but the original series had pretty mature themes and moments peppered throughout which I think is why its stuck with us as adults for so long. I also much prefer Gokus characterization in GT over Super. However of they ever let Gten and Turnks grow up (which is loooong overdue) then I hope they don't take notes from GT at all cause they sucked (especially Goten). Also I hate the lazy recoloring of forms in Super. I would've rather no new Super forms than just turning their hair pink blue or silver. I mean its almost insulting.