Should Z get yet another redub in English?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Should Z get yet another redub in English?

Post by Tian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Before anything else, yes, I'm pretty aware Kai exists but I was wondering if you guys think whether Z deserves yet another redub in English or not.

In case of yes, what that hypothetical redub needs to be as "perfect" as Cell?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should Z get yet another redub in English?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 pm

For me it's minor stuff, like calling out authentic attack names and removing "Dude my truck!!". Stuff like that. You'd think these adjustments would have at least made their way to the Netflix versions, right?

This also doesn't fall into redub territory since it's more on the Toei side, but I'd rebuy Kai all over again if the Kikuchi score had the original Z placement of the music tracks, insert songs aside like Over the Star (which I feel were worthy additions).

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 pm

i don't really see the need for one ? well, i will always have some issues with funi's dragon ball, they did a really great job with kai, and there's really no reason for them too just dub 291 episodes well their dub of kai exists. it doesn't make much sense.

i would much rather see a DB or GT redub, but i doubt those are ever gonna happen.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Everyone is saying “but Kai” but Kai had its own problem (music, questionable editing decisions on Toei’s part) a redub with some recastings (get Schemmel the hell away from King Kai for starters) would be worthwhile.

It’s never going to happen. Funimation has consistently shown how lazy they are plus too many people are way too attached to the crappy in-house uncut dub warts and all. Imagine if Mighty Morphin Power Rangers got remade but it was actually good with decent actors and writing that didn’t have contempt for the intelligence of its target demo of grade school children. People would still be #NotmyPowerRangers

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 pm i don't really see the need for one ? well, i will always have some issues with funi's dragon ball, they did a really great job with kai, and there's really no reason for them too just dub 291 episodes well their dub of kai exists. it doesn't make much sense.

i would much rather see a DB or GT redub, but i doubt those are ever gonna happen.
I'm good on this, GT Goku's new voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pm Everyone is saying “but Kai” but Kai had its own problem (music, questionable editing decisions on Toei’s part) a redub with some recastings (get Schemmel the hell away from King Kai for starters) would be worthwhile.
yeah my biggest issue with funi kai is that there's not enough recasting. like sabat doesn't need too be doing yamucha, piccolo and vegeta, give one of those up. burgmeier's tenshinhan, cranz's chichi, schemmel's kaio, all off of the top of my head are roles that i would've liked to see recasted. i just don't see it ever happening.

and yeah, advertising a new Z dub is gonna have a lot of backlash from people who's dragon ball is the "original" Z dub with the faulconer score and all that stuff. so who would this really be for even ? fans who grew up on the dub have their release, fans who don't like the original version but want a more accurate dub have kai (or in my case when i was younger, the manga!), and younger fans/people who wanna get into the series have kai, which according to my boyfriend basically is always on adult swim nowadays lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:16 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pmIt’s never going to happen. Funimation has consistently shown how lazy they are plus too many people are way too attached to the crappy in-house uncut dub warts and all.
In all fairness, a redub of the entirety of DBZ would not be a cheap endeavor, so it's not really a matter of laziness. That would entail hiring actors, script adapters, directors, recording engineers, mixing engineers and more for a nearly 300-episode series (plus the movies, if we want to go that far).

Combine that with what you mentioned about too many people being attached to the old dub, how much money that continues to make FUNimation, and the existence of the Kai dub, and it wouldn't be financially practical for FUNimation to redub DBZ at all.

Quite frankly, I'm fine with the Kai dub, and DBZ ever gets re-dubbed, it will be decades in the future, if FUNimation, in one of the wildest improbabilities I can imagine, either goes out of business or decides not to renew their license of the property.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:28 am

If it's ever going to happen, it would not come from Funimation. As others have pointed out, they've shown above all else that they're perfectly content delivering DBZ in sub-par formats, and that includes keeping their shitty old dub of it.

No, if DBZ is ever going to get a proper redub, it would almost certainly have to come as a result of another company somehow gaining the rights to the series, and subsequently redubbing it for their own new release.

Until the day the stars align and something like that happens... we'll just have to make do with Kai's dub. I'm okay with that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 am

As far as FUNi giving OG Z another redub goes i would have to say no, which is why i am glad that Kai exists because their dub of that is perfectly fine (questionable holdover voice castings and other issues aside) as a better acted and scripted product. It's without question my preferred version of choice when watching the show in English, because the old 1999-2003 in house run and the 2005 UUE/2007 and onward partial re dub are quite simply not accurate and faithful products by a long shot. If i am going to watch the original Z, it's strictly subbed in original Japanese on my Dragon Boxes because i just cannot watch it by way of those old inaccurate, badly aged dubs which were par for the course in the late '90s/early 2000's when FUNimation was still relatively small and not yet come into their own as a dubbing company. While i'd love to see a fresh, all new re dub at Kai level or even more of the original source series i really don't expect that happening from them anytime soon if ever. They seem to find that inaccurate dub, even in its post 2007 patchwork re dub version good as is and wouldn't want to expend the effort that re dubbing all 291 episodes from scratch would entail.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:55 am

I'd love a brand new English dub of DB, DBZ etc done completely from scratch, completely ignoring the entirety of the DB franchise's English dubbing history in favor of something which truly feels like an English version of the Japanese. Never going to happen, but the changes that Funimation (and to a lesser extent Harmony Gold) made during the "classic" era still taint the franchise to this day. Many of the more accurate productions (the Pioneer Z movies, Blue Water GT, Funi Kai 1.0, Bang Zoom Super) are weighed down due to their individual heritage. I'd love to see an English dub with no dub errors, where the actors are all aware of the Japanese voices before they come up with their own interpretation of the characters, where added jokes only exist where necessary for adaptation purposes, where the "Son" part of the names of Son Goku, Son Gohan etc is kept where mentioned in the original Japanese, where the likes of "Son-Kun" and "Trunks-Kun" are faithfully adapted in a way English speaking children understand, where Ki is specifically called that (or a directly equivalent term like Chi/Qi etc) instead of the generic term "energy"... I'm sure you get my point. Sadly, thanks to Funi's adaptation choices, we're left with a split fandom. Again, my idea of the ideal English DB dub falls short of every released English DB dub readily available (I'd love to see the Animax DB dub, if it's any good, but it's not like it can be found anywhere at this time...). To be honest, I doubt any other Western language dubs pay close attention to preserving the "Son" surname (AB Groupe translating the names as one word "Songoku", "Songohan" etc don't count)... and even less properly adapt "Son-Kun".

Anyways, TL:DR. Yes, Z should get a new English dub (with no Funi involvement whatsoever)

However, I'd like to see all the missing English dubs of DB, regardless of how good they are, uploaded to the internet first. Animax DB, Fillipino DB and DBZ, HG DB ep 1-5, Ocean Kai 1.0, the Krillin flashes Bulma episode of BW DB..... and Speedy DBZ ep 1-6,9-12 (LOL)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:48 am

Tian wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:31 pm Before anything else, yes, I'm pretty aware Kai exists but I was wondering if you guys think whether Z deserves yet another redub in English or not.

In case of yes, what that hypothetical redub needs to be as "perfect" as Cell?

That'd be suicidal by Funimation but it'd be fun to watch.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 am

At this point, does anyone really care? People who don’t like the English dub watch the Japanese version, and people who like the dub would get mad. I know that I personally wouldn’t care since I’ve permanently switched over to the Japanese version a few years back. There’s also the Kai dub fans, but a lot of those people claim they’re happy with Kai “fixing” the old mistakes from the Z dub.

Then you also get issues with OG DB and GT needing redubs to keep consistency. Super might need a redub too depending on how accurate they make the new dubs when it comes to names and stuff. It’s gonna turn into an inconsistent, complicated mess. Even moreso than it is now.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:23 am

MajinMan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 am Then you also get issues with OG DB and GT needing redubs to keep consistency.
Honestly I don't actually think it's a problem. I did a big Dragon Ball to Kai binge (the one that would lead me here) and aside from the big shift with Oolong (who is all but absent in Kai), the voices are fairly consistent or otherwise explainable thanks to the time skip. Rial's performance as Bulma is intentionally meant to be similar to Vollmer but gradually changes, and it does wonders to help with the transition between the series. GT works fairly well coming off of Kai too, the only notable change being Sabat's more gutteral-leaning performance of Vegeta.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:27 am

I mean with a complete redub the scripts and stuff will all be changed too, not just a voice here and there. I’m thinking of a “let’s fix everything” type of redub, which would cause A LOT of things from DB and GT to stick out and not match at all with Z.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am

No it shouldn’t. It would cost way too much time and money to completely redub an almost 300 episode series, which would only benefit a very minor market, especially considering Kai is a thing.

If anything needs a redub it’s the Bardock special.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am

I'd be fine having Kai exist as an alternative to Z.

I'd rather have DB, GT and possibly the movies getting redubbed just to bring everything into line with the modern standard. Of course, they don't have any reason to that; DB and GT aren't as popular as Z, it's a lot of effort for not much reward, and there's just no real excuse. Kai was technically a new series, I don't see something like that happening again.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:40 am

It'd be way too expensive and a waste of time since Funimation will not cater to the people who want accurate dubs. Sure, they did that with Kai, but most people are way too attached to the old Z dub, so they feel that Kai is enough to cater to the people who want dubs to be accurate.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am

I know this will probably never happen, but I'd be interested in a completely new dub. I mean COMPLETELY NEW. Every single character recast with better more appropriate and natural sounding talent. I'm saying people chosen for their voice, not because they can "do a voice".

Cut the shit. No more stupid script alterations. You know what I'm talking about. Stick as closely to the Japanese script as humanly possible.

And obviously no censorship or "reanimation". Leave the picture, sound effects and music alone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pm Imagine if Mighty Morphin Power Rangers got remade but it was actually good with decent actors and writing that didn’t have contempt for the intelligence of its target demo of grade school children. People would still be #NotmyPowerRangers
We pretty much got that with the 2017 PR movie (or at least close to it).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Yes! Beat that dead horse!!!