Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Banduck

Re: Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Post by Banduck » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:24 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:24 am It still looks like fucking water colors because the picture wasn't remastered properly.
For some reason Trachta10 added a filter in the last picture, this is what it really looks like:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:35 am

Banduck wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:24 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:24 am It still looks like fucking water colors because the picture wasn't remastered properly.
For some reason Trachta10 added a filter in the last picture, this is what it really looks like:
Ah, thank you. Looks much better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:25 pm

It seems Selecta Vision didn't use the really awful motion blur DNR filter Toei used.

Sadly, they used their own awful DNR filter.

You really can't win, it seems.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:25 pm It seems Selecta Vision didn't use the really awful motion blur DNR filter Toei used.

Sadly, they used their own awful DNR filter.

You really can't win, it seems.
I think they tried to clean it up as details are missing in some areas that are known to have that blur. Infact, it seems like that blur affects more than just the Dragon box

The Singles appears to be effetced too (it's just darker so it's masked better)
You can see the outline from the frame before

Gif made from the singles:

Ghosting in the Blue Bricks (front of log)

Too my knowlege the Z singles (or even Orange bricks?) Don't seem to have this issue even tho the Z Dragon Box does

Update: Checked Femboyfilms 4k scan of a FUNi 16mm master and no ghosting is present

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:48 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm I think they tried to clean it up as details are missing in some areas that are known to have that blur. Infact, it seems like that blur affects more than just the Dragon box
[...]
Yes, those parts are blurred in a lot of different masters because they're fairly subtle details in a very dark area of the picture, so when they're scanned for a standard-def transfer with noise reduction and/or they were just poorly scanned in the first place, those parts of the picture will get blurred over.

It's not a fundamental problem with Dragon Ball, it's a common symptom of various shitty methods of mastering/transferring.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:48 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm I think they tried to clean it up as details are missing in some areas that are known to have that blur. Infact, it seems like that blur affects more than just the Dragon box
[...]
Yes, those parts are blurred in a lot of different masters because they're fairly subtle details in a very dark area of the picture, so when they're scanned for a standard-def transfer with noise reduction and/or they were just poorly scanned in the first place, those parts of the picture will get blurred over.

It's not a fundamental problem with Dragon Ball, it's a common symptom of various shitty methods of mastering/transferring.
It's interesting because this was just associated with the Dragon Boxes, plus FUNi's DBZ release doesnt seem to have the same problem (both Digitbetas and films scans *assuming not the film scans because those were scanned in HD*)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 am

I can't tell if these (and the Z set) are worth getting...

On one hand, I own a lot of Dragon Ball (including the Dragon Box). On the other, I'm a crazy collector who seems to need everything. But I'm curbing my addiction for this because it's not really from Toei or Funimation, I guess.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:01 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 am I can't tell if these (and the Z set) are worth getting...

On one hand, I own a lot of Dragon Ball (including the Dragon Box). On the other, I'm a crazy collector who seems to need everything. But I'm curbing my addiction for this because it's not really from Toei or Funimation, I guess.
I think since you have the Dragon Boxes its not really needed. Atleast that's my reasoning :D

My final upgrade would be a Dragon ball bluray from a 16mm scan (even if it's like the 30th). I'll still keep my Dragon Boxes however

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:12 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 am I can't tell if these (and the Z set) are worth getting...

Same, and even then with being an upscale it's not like it would be too big of an upgrade from the Dragon Box anyway as the footage is largely the same. SV's is literally that with some filtering (Though it still doesn't look as much of a horrid mess as FUNi's 30th set) and put on Blu-ray.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:08 pm

I guess the question is: if it's an upscale of the Dragon Boxes, could I do that myself using my Dragon Boxes? Sorry; I'm a total dummy with these things.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:08 pm I guess the question is: if it's an upscale of the Dragon Boxes, could I do that myself using my Dragon Boxes? Sorry; I'm a total dummy with these things.
I figure you likely could, so really it wouldn't be all that huge of a difference i assume.

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:20 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:52 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:08 pm I guess the question is: if it's an upscale of the Dragon Boxes, could I do that myself using my Dragon Boxes? Sorry; I'm a total dummy with these things.
I figure you likely could, so really it wouldn't be all that huge of a difference i assume.
No you can't get the same result. (I have already tried)
As Trachta said, the SV upscale has details that are not present in the Dragon Box.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Banduck wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:20 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:52 pm
No you can't get the same result. (I have already tried)
As Trachta said, the SV upscale has details that are not present in the Dragon Box.
Huh, ok. It's interesting how theirs has things the Dragon Box masters don't even though they're more or less the same source footage.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Agh, damn it! Am I really about to drop another small fortune on Selecta Visión's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Blu-rays!? I mean, is that detail even noticeable? Like without any abnormal zooming, if just casually watching, does it make any difference?

This is stupid--I'd never watch it anyway lol

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:03 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:51 pm Agh, damn it! Am I really about to drop another small fortune on Selecta Visión's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Blu-rays!? I mean, is that detail even noticeable? Like without any abnormal zooming, if just casually watching, does it make any difference?

You really, really should wait to see if AB or anyone else release anything. I mean, we've already waited years, why not wait a few years more?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:30 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:03 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:51 pm Agh, damn it! Am I really about to drop another small fortune on Selecta Visión's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Blu-rays!? I mean, is that detail even noticeable? Like without any abnormal zooming, if just casually watching, does it make any difference?

You really, really should wait to see if AB or anyone else release anything. I mean, we've already waited years, why not wait a few years more?
It's because I'm dumb and just want to own everything. Also, I have this mentality that if I wait 5 years and nobody else releases anything, these things will be impossible to find. Like, I'm glad I picked up the Level Sets when I did... even though they're practically useless to me (being a heavily incomplete set).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:35 pm

It's a struggle I can relate to. While I don't own any of the Dragon Boxes anymore (and to be clear I never had all 7) I have ended up buying the 2013/14 Blu-Ray seasons, singles, Manga UK Blu-Rays, levels, and the thought has even crossed my mind of repurchasing the orange bricks since the later seasons at least are better than the BD versions, and it would also mean I could also complete my collection of all the UK releases. I also tend to find a rationale for each release. Singles have more detail for certain parts of the series than any season sets, the BDs have nice extras, the UK BDs have 4:3, even if it's not perfectly uncropped, etc.

I tend to draw the line with releases that have no English friendly option. I'd buy the Selecta Vision releases for the packaging, but then I know not knowing Spanish I'd never watch them. Maybe if I had the motivation I'd rip the discs and sub them myself, but I like to watch discs as they were authored and get that pure experience of all they were sold to offer.

Anyways, I do want Funimation to import either the OG Dragon Ball or inevitable GT remasters for regions A and B as those two series are well overdue an upgrade. Hopefully I haven't already given in to the temptation to buy the GT singles by the time Selecta Vision get around to releasing GT :lol: as the quality will likely be in the same ballpark with a touch of DNR.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:35 pm

It's a struggle I can relate to. While I don't own any of the Dragon Boxes anymore (and to be clear I never had all 7) I have ended up buying the 2013/14 Blu-Ray seasons, singles, Manga UK Blu-Rays, levels, and the thought has even crossed my mind of repurchasing the orange bricks since the later seasons at least are better than the BD versions, and it would also mean I could also complete my collection of all the UK releases. I also tend to find a rationale for each release. Singles have more detail for certain parts of the series than any season sets, the BDs have nice extras, the UK BDs have 4:3, even if it's not perfectly uncropped, etc.

I tend to draw the line with releases that have no English friendly option. I'd buy the Selecta Vision releases for the packaging, but then I know not knowing Spanish I'd never watch them. Maybe if I had the motivation I'd rip the discs and sub them myself, but I like to watch discs as they were authored and get that pure experience of all they were sold to offer.

Anyways, I do want Funimation to import either the OG Dragon Ball or inevitable GT remasters for regions A and B as those two series are well overdue an upgrade. Hopefully I haven't already given in to the temptation to buy the GT singles by the time Selecta Vision get around to releasing GT :lol: as the quality will likely be in the same ballpark with a touch of DNR.
See, for me it's not even about watching all of them, it's strictly to have the video in order to make comparisons and whatnot. Struggling hard to resist. Doesn't help that I have zero faith in Funimation doing a Dragon Ball Blu-ray release and even if Hell drops to subzero temperatures and they do decide to release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray, I have even less faith that it wouldn't get absolutely destroyed by their garbage practices.

But then again, if Toei were releasing it, it would likely have a tint that makes it look like you're watching it under swamp water, so what's better?

If this was the Latin American version, I would consider it a lot more than now because then I'd have some sort of nostalgia to go along with it.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:35 pm

See, for me it's not even about watching all of them, it's strictly to have the video in order to make comparisons and whatnot. Struggling hard to resist. Doesn't help that I have zero faith in Funimation doing a Dragon Ball Blu-ray release and even if Hell drops to subzero temperatures and they do decide to release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray, I have even less faith that it wouldn't get absolutely destroyed by their garbage practices.

But then again, if Toei were releasing it, it would likely have a tint that makes it look like you're watching it under swamp water, so what's better?
Overall Toei's is better.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:21 pm

I won't lie...I've been seriously considering pulling the trigger on these. I understand some Spanish, so I could probably reasonably follow the subtitles, and I'd like to own a version of Dragon Ball with all the OP/ED credits (as of now I own the Blue Bricks). I also really dig the packaging. But then there's the price to consider. :crazy:

EDIT: I've decided I'm better off getting the Japanese Dragon Boxes, a region-free player, and keeping the Blue Bricks so that I have a version I understand. But I want to experience the show in its original presentation also. I have a problem. :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.