Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 pm sodes, since they were cutting all that material anyway; presumably Toei wanted to do Kai as cheaply as possible, so I always assumed they only scanned what they needed.

As for DB, it's a nitpick, but it is worth noting that they must have at least scanned some of it, for the episode 1 flashbacks.
Ah, yeah, they might have skipped the filler arcs as you say. But at least when it comes to the other episodes, I think they probably transferred the entire episodes because you can't casually pick up specific shots while transferring film, and it'd be far easier and timesaving to transfer entire footage and digitally pick up specific shots afterward. I hope they're not stupid enough to throw out the original scan data, though.

Robo4900 wrote:I'm basically just spitballing, and honestly I'm sceptical of this all too, but I personally do think it might have some merit... It seems unlikely but possible, is what I'm trying to say.

Selecta Vision has a bad track record, from what I hear, but what they're saying sounds like they really are working with a genuine HD master...
Yeah, I too think it's possible, but with all the instances so far, it's till unlikely.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Those screenshots are nightmarishly bad, here's hoping that's not what it looks like.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 pm I'd have assumed they would have skipped all the purely-filler episodes, since they were cutting all that material anyway; presumably Toei wanted to do Kai as cheaply as possible, so I always assumed they only scanned what they needed.

As for DB, it's a nitpick, but it is worth noting that they must have at least scanned some of it, for the episode 1 flashbacks.
They would have only mastered the footage needed for each episode, at least going by the BTS page on the main site. They'd have done a "garbage pass" of the anime to find the shots they need, edited it, and then sent the frames over to [company whose name I forget].

Regarding DB, there is another parts too, namely the brief flashback shots at the end of the second-to-last episode on how odd but heroic was. That was likely in the original Z episode too, but it's worth mentioning as a possibility.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54 am

Hi guys! Thank YOU very much for sharing my Twitter thread and my articles about this Dragon Ball Bluray edition!

I'll let you know all the news regarding this project. Everything I wrote in the last few hours on the Internet was confirmed by Selecta Vision during their live panel last weekend.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:54 am

MrKaytos wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54 am Hi guys! Thank YOU very much for sharing my Twitter thread and my articles about this Dragon Ball Bluray edition!

I'll let you know all the news regarding this project. Everything I wrote in the last few hours on the Internet was confirmed by Selecta Vision during their live panel last weekend.
I just hope that they didn't get SD upscales from Toei, or are doing SD upscales themselves.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Dear Kami, those screenshots look horrendous! I sure do hope that's not what this release looks like, I had high hopes.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm Dear Kami, those screenshots look horrendous! I sure do hope that's not what this release looks like, I had high hopes.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that those aren't representative of the final product.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm
  • They would like to release the first DB BD set at the end of this year, hopefully in December, but they can’t say it for sure.
Hopefully they'll be able to release the first set by the end of the year, I've actually been keeping my eye on this for a while and am curious as to what the quality will be like when it comes out or is previewed.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm[*]Selecta Vision gets the original master from Toei Animation to work with it. Then, they send it back so that Toei can check it.
They get the "original masters" but what does that actually mean, do they mean a new scan of the original 16mm negatives, a scan of the first gen copy of the prints, a scan of 2nd or 3rd generation prints similar to FUNi's in quality (before FUNi did their remastering bullshit), the wording is a little too vague to draw any concrete conclusions at this point.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm[*]Regarding the image, they haven't added DNR. They want to be really faithful to the original colours and art, maintaining the full essence. Also, the materials Toei gave them are top and the aspect ratio will be 4:3.
The fact that they aren't adding DNR at first glace already makes this a step up over FUNi, the color comment is up in the air, just like the original masters comment the wording is too vague about what that actually means in this case, will it be just a straight transfer without any color correction, or will there be an attempt at careful color correction? As for 4:3, if they don't do the excessive crop like FUNi is doing with their 30th Anniversary set, Selecta Vision can pretty much expect a lot of customers from outside Spain buying these sets as they come out in addition to their Spanish consumers.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm[not sure what this means, precisely, however I would guess at best, it's simply a new transfer of the optical tracks from Toei's negatives, and perhaps they've got the original M&E and dub voice tracks involved to get that sounding nice. But this is Selecta Vision, their history would suggest they wouldn't put quite that much work in. We'll see as further details emerge].
Since this has taken over 2 years to happen it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that they are putting that much work into this release we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the Japanese audio possibly be a new transfer of the optical tracks, I seriously hope that's not going to be the case, the optical tracks have seriously degraded over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if they were completely unusable by this point, they were already pretty degraded by 2003 when Toei did the DBOX's (not to the point where they were unusable mind you but the degradation on the optical tracks was very apparent and obvious nonetheless), now imagine how a new transfer of those tracks would sound like now in the intervening years since the DBOX's, if they're more than just noise and static at this point I'd be very surprised.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm Dear Kami, those screenshots look horrendous! I sure do hope that's not what this release looks like, I had high hopes.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that those aren't representative of the final product.
More presice : they're random pics the guy found online.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:10 pm

superrayman3 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 pm As for the Japanese audio possibly be a new transfer of the optical tracks, I seriously hope that's not going to be the case, the optical tracks have seriously degraded over the years and it wouldn't surprise me if they were completely unusable by this point, they were already pretty degraded by 2003 when Toei did the DBOX's (not to the point where they were unusable mind you but the degradation on the optical tracks was very apparent and obvious nonetheless), now imagine how a new transfer of those tracks would sound like now in the intervening years since the DBOX's, if they're more than just noise and static at this point I'd be very surprised.
The audio being awful on DBox isn't due to degredation, and I don't imagine the audio will have become noticeably worse in the meantime, it's simply due to how bad awful an audio format optical is. The detail simply isn't there, and never has been.

The reason the audio sounded better on the original broadcasts was because instead of using optical, they used reel-to-reel tape. Then they allegedly threw out those reel-to-reel tapes, and thus only kept the crappy optical audio.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Well, this feels oddly familiar.

Anyone here who votes 16:9 -- I will go to your house, drop a category 5 dooker at your doorstep, and glue all your stationary to the ceiling.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 pm Well, this feels oddly familiar.

Anyone here who votes 16:9 -- I will go to your house, drop a category 5 dooker at your doorstep, and glue all your stationary to the ceiling.
Wow, I can't believe they are seriously putting up the same type of poll like how FUNimation did before the Season BD's came out back in 2013, where despite the proper 4:3 being the higher voted option of the two they still made the release 16:9 anyway after ignoring the results internally. The thing that really strikes me about the poll if this release of Dragon Ball isn't even sourced from an HD scanned master they are getting from Toei then cropping it to faux widescreen the way the former did with DBZ for the Orange Bricks (and Season BD's after) wouldn't make any sense.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:27 am

The poll has 4:3 winning at the moment, but just barely. It's at 53% while 16:9 sits at 47%.

Oh boy. I have a bad feeling about this....
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:32 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:29 pm The thing that really strikes me about the poll if this release of Dragon Ball isn't even sourced from an HD scanned master they are getting from Toei then cropping it to faux widescreen the way the former did with DBZ for the Orange Bricks (and Season BD's after) wouldn't make any sense.
Not even Funimation is that dumb. Say what you will about the company, but at least the DNR'd, digibeta sourced Blue Bricks (DB) and Green Bricks (GT) stayed 4:3, and at least Funi's DNR'd, widescreen cropped releases of the Z show actually added picture on the sides. A release that takes the worst aspects of these (a DNR'd and 16:9 cropped upscale of a 4:3 SD source) would look like an absolute shit show that might turn off even the casuals.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:09 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:32 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:29 pm The thing that really strikes me about the poll if this release of Dragon Ball isn't even sourced from an HD scanned master they are getting from Toei then cropping it to faux widescreen the way the former did with DBZ for the Orange Bricks (and Season BD's after) wouldn't make any sense.
Not even Funimation is that dumb. Say what you will about the company, but at least the DNR'd, digibeta sourced Blue Bricks (DB) and Green Bricks (GT) stayed 4:3, and at least Funi's DNR'd, widescreen cropped releases of the Z show actually added picture on the sides. A release that takes the worst aspects of these (a DNR'd and 16:9 cropped upscale of a 4:3 SD source) would look like an absolute shit show that might turn off even the casuals.
I seriously hope Selecta Vision isn't actually considering taking a page out of FUNi's playbook from the last twelve years when it comes to home releases. Shows made made in that era, which also includes Dragon Ball and the like were never intended to be seen in this form with large chunks of the top and bottom parts of the picture cut off with only minimal gain of image on the sides. I know quite a few don't agree but it's the truth, these old shows from decades past should be shown and released the way they were originally made and not have the aspect ratio unnecessarily altered in order to align with the modern standards and conventions of series made today in widescreen.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:56 am

Agreed. Old shows that were originally in 4:3 should stay that way. It's amazing that Selectavision is even offering this poll. Had Funi never offered the series in widescreen, and had the Kai version of the Boo been part of the rest of Kai (remastered in both 4:3 and 16:9 by Q-Tec) instead of being it's own production (remastered only in 16:9 by Toei), this conversation might not even be necessary.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:02 am

There was a time where I wasted my time explaining the aspect ratio issue to people, be it for movies, TV, games, heck, even photos.

But it's no use. While there are people that are genuinely ignorant about it, most simply don't care. They would rather cut, or worse, stretch things to whatever screen they have than to appreciate the OAR and the content in question as it was intended to be. They see black bars as a defect.

The comments on that Twitter poll corroborate that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:27 am

The poll has 4:3 winning at the moment, but just barely. It's at 53% while 16:9 sits at 47%.

Oh boy. I have a bad feeling about this....
I'm at a loss for words about this. Do I need the Twitter app to vite from a smart phone?

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:24 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:02 am There was a time where I wasted my time explaining the aspect ratio issue to people, be it for movies, TV, games, heck, even photos.

But it's no use. While there are people that are genuinely ignorant about it, most simply don't care. They would rather cut, or worse, stretch things to whatever screen they have than to appreciate the OAR and the content in question as it was intended to be. They see black bars as a defect.

The comments on that Twitter poll corroborate that.
Actually, the comments are overwhelmingly in favor of 4:3, but there´s just way too many ignorants who vote for 16:9, :( Can someone tell me what option is winning right now? I wished I could vote, but I don´t have twitter.

Somebody should make a pinned announcement post, telling the kanzenshuu community to vote for 4:3 :lol:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 am

anubisj wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:24 amActually, the comments are overwhelmingly in favor of 4:3,
I'm talking about those against 4:3, of course.

It seems the poll was at 50/50 two days ago: