Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:40 pm

According to Hobby Consolas, Selecta Vision has been working on the project for about two years. This will be the first Bluray release of this series. Toei Animation seems to have power over the end result by approving it. In addition, it has been said that the series will not change its image, as in the releases of Funimation remaining in 4: 3 format and with the '' original colors ''.

With the TV special releases and Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies, can we get a full release of the series internationally?

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/noticias/ ... nto-464017

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Possible details on Selecta Vision's Dragon Ball (1986-1989) bluray release

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Google Translate edition of the article: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search

This is very exciting news! My only concern is that I HOPE those screenshots in the article aren't from the actual remaster, because if so... YIKES.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:51 pm

If that's what they are saying, the partnership between Selecta Visión and Toei Animation was done the way we wanted for the thirtieth anniversary release.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Good news. But can anyone enlighten me on whats the difference between Bluray & dvd version?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Derek Padula's Spanish translator has graciously provided us with the English highlights of this article, though it seems he's got additional details I can't find a source on...?
I think the original article was reporting on some kind of panel (it's hard to tell with no proper translation of the full article available and no clarification offered by anyone that I can find), so his further details are likely those skimmed over by that article, in which case I'm wrong and this guy was at the panel, and gave his own highlights... I'm afraid things are a little unclear, so I can't quite be sure.
He added screenshots from the article and google, etc. for dramatic effect in his Tweets, so the crappy images you see aren't reflective of the product.

Of particular note from these Tweets (directly pasted in; read the whole Tweet thread for the full thing); I've tagged stuff not mentioned in the article as "Unsourced". After the 30th anniversary mess, I'm not sure I'm ready to believe any unsourced Tweets this time without at least a few grains of salt:
  • They would like to release the first DB BD set at the end of this year, hopefully in December, but they can’t say it for sure.
  • Selecta Vision gets the original master from Toei Animation to work with it. Then, they send it back so that Toei can check it.
  • Regarding the image, they haven't added DNR. They want to be really faithful to the original colours and art, maintaining the full essence. Also, the materials Toei gave them are top and the aspect ratio will be 4:3.
  • The audio quality is new and they aren’t reusing the tracks we have on DVD. It’s an edition done from scratch, using the purest materials. It will be released in Spanish (Spain), Japanese and the rest of languages from our country (Valencian will be difficult to include it).
    [not sure what this means, precisely, however I would guess at best, it's simply a new transfer of the optical tracks from Toei's negatives, and perhaps they've got the original M&E and dub voice tracks involved to get that sounding nice. But this is Selecta Vision, their history would suggest they wouldn't put quite that much work in. We'll see as further details emerge]
  • [UNSOURCED] Selecta Vision will show samples from the BD in the following weeks.
  • [UNSOURCED] If this edition is a success, they will work to release Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray. They have confirmed that they wouldn't use the version from FUNimation, it would be a new one. Regarding Dragon Ball GT, there aren't plans yet, but they don't refuse it, so who knows
Additionally, Geekdom101 has been on Twitter sharing screencaps from the available HD Bardock special and movies, remastered by Toei, that have been going around for a while, calling them a taste of what we're likely to see; he's claiming this Selecta Vision master will be the thing he was talking about when he was talking about Toei doing a master Funi would release for the 30th anniversary, and being remastered by Toei will therefore look like the images he is sharing, however he has provided no sources for any of this, leading me to believe he's simply speculating on the rumours he's been hearing since at least when the movie masters showed up, so this may or may not turn out exactly like the 30th anniversary fiasco.

I suggest cautious optimism here; we'll allegedly be getting screengrabs soon, according to the Spanish fellow's Tweets, so let's hold off on getting excited until we see this thing before we start celebrating a victory.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but after all the premature hallelujahs when Funi started teasing their 30th anniversary set, I don't want anyone getting overly eager and -- intentionally or not -- spreading speculation as fact. Not singling anyone out here, to be clear; most of us were guilty of over-excitement at the time, and we should have known better given Funi's track record. And given Selecta Vision's track record, let's not get excited this time until we've actually seen some screenshots, eh?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm I suggest cautious optimism here; we'll allegedly be getting screengrabs soon, according to the Spanish fellow's Tweets, so let's hold off on getting excited until we see this thing before we start celebrating a victory.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but after all the premature hallelujahs when Funi started teasing their 30th anniversary set, I don't want anyone getting overly eager and -- intentionally or not -- spreading speculation as fact. Not singling anyone out here, to be clear; most of us were guilty of over-excitement at the time, and we should have known better given Funi's track record. And given Selecta Vision's track record, let's not get excited this time until we've actually seen some screenshots, eh?
I'm cautiously optimistic as well. I don't think it's likely Funimation will license this footage for a new OG DB BD release (abbreviations!), but if they do I'll obviously be buying it.

I think the hope with the Black Bricks was that, given Funimation's more earnest efforts in the script and dubbing thanks to Kai and Super and Broly, that maybe their newest release would actually have some love in it from the company as a whole. I don't blame us for feeling that way and we are not at fault for having our faith in the remastering team.

What are the chances Funi licenses this and swaps in their own dub? Considering it'd be much cheaper than remastering it themselves.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm I think the hope with the Black Bricks was that, given Funimation's more earnest efforts in the script and dubbing thanks to Kai and Super and Broly, that maybe their newest release would actually have some love in it from the company as a whole. I don't blame us for feeling that way and we are not at fault for having our faith in the remastering team.
We should have done our due diligence, though. A lot of people were immediately saying "OH SHIT! THIS IS THAT HD TOEI MASTER GEEKDOM WAS TALKING ABOUT! YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!"
Even once Funi started putting out preview images of their awful master, there were people who insisted it must just be a WIP that they'd clean up.

Honestly, after all the shit we've been through in the past with this, I don't blame people for going into denial about this, even I got caught up in the hype.
But, ultimately, we can't do anything about the past except learn from it.

So, let's take the lesson and wait for more details.

Anyone thinking of speculating wildly about those Toei remaster rumours Geekdom was talking about ages ago? Stop and wait for the Selecta Vision preview images to come out. And consider that this is SV doing the remaster, not Toei, and these rumours were just rumours, and old rumours at that.

Let's just try curb any spread of misinformation while we can.

(also, you called them "black bricks". their correct title is the "shit bricks", named after the correct reaction any fan should have upon being reminded of their existence ;) )
KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm I'm cautiously optimistic as well. I don't think it's likely Funimation will license this footage for a new OG DB BD release (abbreviations!), but if they do I'll obviously be buying it.
What are the chances Funi licenses this and swap in their own dub? Considering it'd be much cheaper than remastering it themselves.
If it's a genuine HD master, I think they'll probably license it. Getting one more of the shows out in HD would be quite nice for Funi, and being able to sell OG DB in a form that isn't as awful as the Blue Bricks without having to actually put any work into making a new master would be a nice plus for Funi; they're a business, and this does seem to make business sense, so in theory it would be a sound decision.

Worth noting that the DB surround mix is just their mono mix (yes, it's technically stereo. In reality, the only actually stereo part is the OP/ED songs) with reverb into surround channels, so it wouldn't take much work for them to just resync that mono track to Selecta Vision's video, and run some new 5.1 expansion on it, thus be able to call it a "new mix".

Then not only do they have "new HD master" and "new audio mix", but if it's an okay master, they'll be able to regain some lost fan goodwill after the 30th anniversary fiasco.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 pm

I hope this turns out to be good. If it does then that's a pretty big miracle in and of itself. Since Funi can't get a decent remaster of DBZ i never expected us to get a good HD DB remaster. Of course it's still too early to tell but i have hope, mostly because Funimation is staying away from this.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 pm Anyone thinking of speculating wildly about those Toei remaster rumours Geekdom was talking about ages ago? Stop and wait for the Selecta Vision preview images to come out. And consider that this is SV doing the remaster, not Toei, and these rumours were just rumours, and old rumours at that.
Again, that's what I'm doing. I'm not familiar with SelectaVision, but something tells me that remastering old anime isn't something they specialize or have a lot of experience in. For me if it has better colours and isn't as washed out as the Blue Bricks (and not as fuzzy as the Dragon Box) then I'll be rather tempted.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 pm(also, you called them "black bricks". their correct title is the "shit bricks", named after the correct reaction any fan should have upon being reminded of their existence ;) )
I call them Black Bricks with the joke being that it's like Funimation left them on the frying pan too long and ruined yet another perfectly good meal, heh.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 pm Worth noting that the DB surround mix is just their mono mix (yes, it's technically stereo. In reality, the only actually stereo part is the OP/ED songs) with reverb into surround channels, so it wouldn't take much work for them to just resync that mono track to Selecta Vision's video, and run some new 5.1 expansion on it, thus be able to call it a "new mix".
Well as you know, I've worked with the surround sound mix when working on my T1C project (which I've been thinking of spinning up again), and it isn't quite that. The center channel contains the vocals and sound effects, while the corner channels contain the sound effects, vocal reverbs and the music. It's a bit frivolous because it's ultimately in mono, but I feel it's a clever solution that takes advantage of the vocal-less audio track that Toei sent them all those years ago. Plus it's done wonders in helping me edit or cut out specific lines of dialogue, or in some cases seamlessly remove or replace music tracks, or make certain cuts sound a lot more natural.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 pm

I find this new audio strange. Are you referring only to Spanish? Because it is very difficult for Toei to have files containing only the voices of the characters to join them with sound effects and soundtrack with a higher quality.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:32 am

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 am

Scavenger wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:32 am The footage that was shown last year suggests that it is an upscale like their Mazinger Z BDs.

https://twitter.com/Tallon_4/status/1058750496947798016
https://twitter.com/fushigi_adrian/stat ... 1220860928
https://twitter.com/Misiontokyo/status/ ... 1277539328

We'll have to wait and see but it's safer to assume this than it being proper HD transfers. Although, two years + for an upscale?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 am
Scavenger wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:32 am The footage that was shown last year suggests that it is an upscale like their Mazinger Z BDs.

We'll have to wait and see but it's safer to assume this than it being proper HD transfers. Although, two years + for an upscale?
Well you know on Toei's internet speeds...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:01 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 am

Well you know on Toei's internet speeds...
Am I supposed to laugh or are you serious here? I'm pretty sure the materials, if it's a proper HD version, got brought by airplane.

Also, December means they'd be working on this for THREE years.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:38 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:01 am Am I supposed to laugh or are you serious here?
Yeah I'm bad with the jokes. I have no idea why it'd take them so long outside of it being a bespoke remaster, but that sounds uncharacteristic of Selecta Vision. Maybe it's Toei's approval process?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm Derek Padula's Spanish translator has graciously provided us with the English highlights of this article, though it seems he's got additional details I can't find a source on...?
I think the original article was reporting on some kind of panel (it's hard to tell with no proper translation of the full article available and no clarification offered by anyone that I can find), so his further details are likely those skimmed over by that article, in which case I'm wrong and this guy was at the panel, and gave his own highlights... I'm afraid things are a little unclear, so I can't quite be sure.
He added screenshots from the article and google, etc. for dramatic effect in his Tweets, so the crappy images you see aren't reflective of the product.

Of particular note from these Tweets (directly pasted in; read the whole Tweet thread for the full thing); I've tagged stuff not mentioned in the article as "Unsourced". After the 30th anniversary mess, I'm not sure I'm ready to believe any unsourced Tweets this time without at least a few grains of salt:
  • They would like to release the first DB BD set at the end of this year, hopefully in December, but they can’t say it for sure.
  • Selecta Vision gets the original master from Toei Animation to work with it. Then, they send it back so that Toei can check it.
  • Regarding the image, they haven't added DNR. They want to be really faithful to the original colours and art, maintaining the full essence. Also, the materials Toei gave them are top and the aspect ratio will be 4:3.
  • The audio quality is new and they aren’t reusing the tracks we have on DVD. It’s an edition done from scratch, using the purest materials. It will be released in Spanish (Spain), Japanese and the rest of languages from our country (Valencian will be difficult to include it).
    [not sure what this means, precisely, however I would guess at best, it's simply a new transfer of the optical tracks from Toei's negatives, and perhaps they've got the original M&E and dub voice tracks involved to get that sounding nice. But this is Selecta Vision, their history would suggest they wouldn't put quite that much work in. We'll see as further details emerge]
  • [UNSOURCED] Selecta Vision will show samples from the BD in the following weeks.
  • [UNSOURCED] If this edition is a success, they will work to release Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray. They have confirmed that they wouldn't use the version from FUNimation, it would be a new one. Regarding Dragon Ball GT, there aren't plans yet, but they don't refuse it, so who knows
Additionally, Geekdom101 has been on Twitter sharing screencaps from the available HD Bardock special and movies, remastered by Toei, that have been going around for a while, calling them a taste of what we're likely to see; he's claiming this Selecta Vision master will be the thing he was talking about when he was talking about Toei doing a master Funi would release for the 30th anniversary, and being remastered by Toei will therefore look like the images he is sharing, however he has provided no sources for any of this, leading me to believe he's simply speculating on the rumours he's been hearing since at least when the movie masters showed up, so this may or may not turn out exactly like the 30th anniversary fiasco.

I suggest cautious optimism here; we'll allegedly be getting screengrabs soon, according to the Spanish fellow's Tweets, so let's hold off on getting excited until we see this thing before we start celebrating a victory.

GD is probably talking out his ass as usual, he's just piggybacking off this news and if it doesn't go to plan he'll do his usual thing. I don't believe anything he says now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 am

I too look forward to screenshots. I can wait for a great HD DBZ release because I love Kai, but OG DB and GT need some love on the format.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:34 pm

At this point, I'm highly skeptical about this being a true HD remaster using new transfers.
  • Toei Animation has never produced any HD home video releases of TV series mastered on 16mm film (They produced an HD remaster of Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star in 2008, but only released on DVD.)
  • Even if they did, I don't think they'd allow foreign licensees to release them first.
  • They have probably transferred all the episodes of DBZ in HD when they produced Kai, but not the original DB.
You know, Toei is a company that doesn't even bother to HD-transfer and just upscaled some of their most worldwide popular series such as Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya. They are probably thinking that it's only movies and very old TV series mastered on 35mm that are worth transferring and remastering in HD, except for a few cases like the two TV specials of DBZ.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 pm

kei17 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:34 pm At this point, I'm highly skeptical about this being a true HD remaster using new transfers.
  • Toei Animation has never produced any HD home video releases of TV series mastered on 16mm film (They produced an HD remaster of Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star in 2008, but only released on DVD.)
  • Even if they did, I don't think they'd allow foreign licensees to release them first.
  • They have probably transferred all the episodes of DBZ in HD when they produced Kai, but not the original DB.
You know, Toei is a company that doesn't even bother to HD-transfer and just upscaled some of their most worldwide popular series such as Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya. They are probably thinking that it's only movies and very old TV series mastered on 35mm that are worth transferring and remastering in HD, except for a few cases like the two TV specials of DBZ.
I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that Toei simply sent Selecta Vision upscaled versions of their 16mm film sourced Dragon Box masters for OG Dragon Ball, and it being one of those SD on Blu-ray type of things. That's given the likelihood that their first or second generation prints haven't been converted into high definition given the nature of the film and when they were scanned and encoded for the Dragon Boxes fifteen to sixteen years ago.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:56 pm

kei17 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:34 pm
I'd have assumed they would have skipped all the purely-filler episodes, since they were cutting all that material anyway; presumably Toei wanted to do Kai as cheaply as possible, so I always assumed they only scanned what they needed.

As for DB, it's a nitpick, but it is worth noting that they must have at least scanned some of it, for the episode 1 flashbacks.
kei17 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:34 pm You know, Toei is a company that doesn't even bother to HD-transfer and just upscaled some of their most worldwide popular series such as Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya. They are probably thinking that it's only movies and very old TV series mastered on 35mm that are worth transferring and remastering in HD, except for a few cases like the two TV specials of DBZ.
One thing I will say is that perhaps Toei don't see it as worth it, but by that same token don't care if a foreign licensor gets such a master that they see as being pointless. After all, they've had no issue with Funimation putting out HD masters all these years. It's possible what Selecta Vision is working off of is a set of film prints similar to Funi's Z film, with this in mind. Or maybe Toei scanned their film with financial support from Selecta Vision, but they're letting SV put it out first because they see no real point in putting it out in Japan.

I'm basically just spitballing, and honestly I'm sceptical of this all too, but I personally do think it might have some merit... It seems unlikely but possible, is what I'm trying to say.

Selecta Vision has a bad track record, from what I hear, but what they're saying sounds like they really are working with a genuine HD master...