The art used in the covers of the Atari-published games

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarioSonicU

The art used in the covers of the Atari-published games

Post by MarioSonicU » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm

I noticed that Toei supplied Infogrames/Atari with art for use with the NA covers of games like the First two BT games, Advanced Adventure, Legacy of Goku 1 & 2, Buu's Fury, GT Transformation, Budokai 2 and 3, etc.

I was wondering who drew the art for the characters, or if there are similar artwork used elsewhere in the past by Toei or FUNimation, So I decided to create this thread in order to draw comparisons

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: The art used in the covers of the Atari-published games

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm

I read a very long time ago that one of those covers (Budokai) was actually drawn by an American artist commissioned by Funimation. I even remember the artist being credited by name, I forget what name though. The same artist also drew the single VHS/DVD covers for Movie 7 and Movie 8 in the US.

If I had to guess, Tadayoshi Yamamuro supplied the cover art for the other games.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:11 am

Kuwabara wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm I read a very long time ago that one of those covers (Budokai) was actually drawn by an American artist commissioned by Funimation. I even remember the artist being credited by name, I forget what name though. The same artist also drew the single VHS/DVD covers for Movie 7 and Movie 8 in the US.

If I had to guess, Tadayoshi Yamamuro supplied the cover art for the other games.
This is mostly correct. An American artist designed them, but they actually then sent the sketch to Toei, and they drew the finalized cover. I read it in the Prima Strategy Guide for Budokai 2.

Same thing happened with the season set BDs and a couple of the US Super covers too.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:11 am
Kuwabara wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm I read a very long time ago that one of those covers (Budokai) was actually drawn by an American artist commissioned by Funimation. I even remember the artist being credited by name, I forget what name though. The same artist also drew the single VHS/DVD covers for Movie 7 and Movie 8 in the US.

This is mostly correct. An American artist designed them, but they actually then sent the sketch to Toei, and they drew the finalized cover. I read it in the Prima Strategy Guide for Budokai 2.

Same thing happened with the season set BDs and a couple of the US Super covers too.
I think that makes sense. I found an art of Vegito from the 80's and 90's Dragon Ball Art and it seems to resemble him in the Budokai 2 cover

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am

I think that makes sense. I found an art of Vegito from the 80's and 90's Dragon Ball Art and it seems to resemble him in the Budokai 2 cover
I should clarify: despite it being in the Budokai 2 book, the feature was about the Budokai 1 cover
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:11 am This is mostly correct. An American artist designed them, but they actually then sent the sketch to Toei, and they drew the finalized cover. I read it in the Prima Strategy Guide for Budokai 2.

Thanks for this, I couldn't think of where I read that for the life of me! Some of the US DBZ video game strategy guides are real gems, I love the Taiketsu one with the DBZ game timeline/retrospective. It even includes pre-US era import games!
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 pm

If you're talking about DBS then FUNi didn't commission anything for that they just picked art from a pool that was made for overseas.