What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 am

We've had 4 different 'main' series thus far that have come and gone:
  • DragonBall
  • DragonBall Z
  • DragonBall GT
  • DragonBall super

(With the Dragon Ball Heroes spin off being a cute entertaining extra series.)

Each of the series had it's ups and downs but what should a new series, if there is to be one, be like? I'd say the whole formula we had so far needs to be revamped. Super had a lot of problems but the overabundance of filler, especially during the tournament at the end was incredibly bad. You'd think that when a series' anime as 'lead' we would get a faster paced series, like GT, but Super showed that weekly episodes drag down the quality way too much.

I'd say DB should be limited in yearly episodes, like how One Punch Man does it. It doesn't guarantee quality but it does give staff more time for pre-production. Alternatively they could write anthology episodes that focus on specific characters and can take place during any time in the main timeline. This could deliver surprising results. Toriyama has always said he wanted to make a comedy manga about Satan and Buu. He can go wild with this. A lighter schedule would also allow for the production of yearly movies.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 am

I want the series be just as fun & entertaining as DB & DBZ. Thats all.

Anythin more I say wud just be yet another "what-if" or fanfic (we already got GT, AF manga & Super for that matter)

I want a show that gives secondary characters major scope. Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, Krillin, over 300+ minor characters.

Only a true fan would be able to comprehend vast amount of potential within DB lore waiting to be tapped & bring it forefront

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 am I want the series be just as fun & entertaining as DB & DBZ. Thats all.

Anythin more I say wud just be yet another "what-if" or fanfic (we already got GT, AF manga & Super for that matter)

I want a show that gives secondary characters major scope. Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, Krillin, over 300+ minor characters.

Only a true fan would be able to comprehend vast amount of potential within DB lore waiting to be tapped & bring it forefront

I would actually like a new show or spin off with all the "weaker" characters in the spotlight. Would be so refreshing. I would even omit Gohan from your list since he's so much stronger than the rest.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am

Non-existent.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 am I want the series be just as fun & entertaining as DB & DBZ. That's all.
Seconded.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 amI'd say DB should be limited in yearly episodes, like how One Punch Man does it. It doesn't guarantee quality but it does give staff more time for pre-production.
Then what's the point of it? Quality has to come one way or another. If it isn't guaranteed even with more "time for pre-production" there's no reason for the series to be seasonal. Unless this "quality" refers to the animation... Which obviously shouldn't be the priority by any means.

Anyway, as for the next Dragon Ball... As long as it isn't like Dragon Ball Super, it'll probably be fine.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:42 pm

My preferred schedule is 26 episodes a year of Dragon Ball Super (or its replacement) and 26 episodes a year of something else, be that a Dragon Ball Heroes anime, a what-if series, "Episode of [character]"-type specials, or just professionally-made Broly MADs, or even all of the above. Whether these two (groups of) shows would alternate every week or be seasonal around each other doesn't really matter to me.
Also, if "canon" Dragon Ball returns to TV, I want the story to be placed after EoZ. I'll give Super a pass to catch up with manga stories if it returns, but if a replacement show that ignores the Super manga is made, post-EoZ is a must. Super being stuck in the timeframe between Buu and Uub forever is a major issue with the series for me, and it's why I'm still writing Dragon Ball Ultimate (see my signature) despite Super's continuing story messing with it. The rewrite I'm doing is in order to make DBU consistent with Super up to the Zamasu arc, where previously it was only consistent with BoG, because that was all that was released when I first started writing it (in the summer of 2014). I've chosen to ignore the ToP and all following content because the ToP limits my creative freedom and I can't keep correcting my old stuff anyway.
(I'm mainly focusing on the anime in this post. The manga is its own thing and is still ongoing.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

It should have:
-Great humour and adventures like Dragon Ball
-Awesome fights like Dragon Ball Z
-Artistic style and cool designs like Dragon Ball GT
-Be nothing like Dragon Ball Super
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:11 pm

I would be more than happy with a continuation of Super. I think there's so much room for spin-offs, etc. The only drawback is that I'm getting awfully tired of collecting this stuff lol

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Jord wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 amI'd say DB should be limited in yearly episodes, like how One Punch Man does it. It doesn't guarantee quality but it does give staff more time for pre-production.
Then what's the point of it? Quality has to come one way or another. If it isn't guaranteed even with more "time for pre-production" there's no reason for the series to be seasonal. Unless this "quality" refers to the animation... Which obviously shouldn't be the priority by any means.

Anyway, as for the next Dragon Ball... As long as it isn't like Dragon Ball Super, it'll probably be fine.
Quality is never guaranteed. What I meant was that with more pre production time there is a good chance that the quality will improve. I was mainly thinking of the quality of writing since that wasn't Super's strong point.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I'd have fewer tournaments and more story-driven arcs like the Future Trunks arc (I don't necessarily hate tournaments but I am burned out after one year of ToP). The mystery of Goku Black is one of the best things they've ever done, so they should continue making these mysterious villains who promote speculations and theories.

I also agree that they should turn it into a seasonal anime. I recently started watching My Hero Academia and I love it, the only "drawback" is that the yearly arcs would not be very long (like 20-25 episodes max, like the Future Trunks arc).

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm It should have:
I'm cool with your opinion & all. But regarding GT's artistic style and cool designs

Cough...cough...ParaPara Bros, Lood, MutchiMotchi, Doltacki, Rildo, Myuu, Duck, Pig & Toad Shenrons😂😂😂😂cough...cough

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am
Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 am I want the series be just as fun & entertaining as DB & DBZ. Thats all.

I would actually like a new show or spin off with all the "weaker" characters in the spotlight. Would be so refreshing. I would even omit Gohan from your list since he's so much stronger than the rest.
Hobbs & Shaw spinoff comes to mind😂😂😂

But from financial standpoint, it has to be profitable investment. I doubt anyone would care abt a show titled "Yamcha & the Gang😂😂😂" or "Secondary Z fighters show". If anythin, it'll be another Team Rocket sthick

Keeping them relevant by woving their characters into the central theme of the Arc as in TB Arc's, Piccolo Daimou-Saiyan Saga Arc's would be ideal. Not everything needs to be power-based. Look @ HXH2011. Even Knov who became an ant @ CA Arc played some relevant role with his skills

Also, Gohan despite being vastly powerful...still feels like a shell. As if all of his likable & fun traits we've known ever since Saiyan-Boo Arc was thrown outta window. He also deserves well-treatment. My 2 cents

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm It should have:
I'm cool with your opinion & all. But regarding GT's artistic style and cool designs

Cough...cough...ParaPara Bros, Lood, MutchiMotchi, Doltacki, Rildo, Myuu, Duck, Pig & Toad Shenrons😂😂😂😂cough...cough
Rilldo and Myuu had very good designs tho?
Mutchi and Dolltacki were also fine.
Luud was pretty meh
All shenrons except Rage had good designs.
ParaPara Bros do not have great designs, but they were not bad in any way. Basically a random ToP fighters in terms of design.
Where did you see a duck in GT?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am Non-existent.
yeah seriously, the series really just....shouldn't still be going. there's just no reason to, it had a ending (even if i'm not a big fan of either of the manga's endings or GT's), just let it end.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Jord wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 pmQuality is never guaranteed. What I meant was that with more pre production time there is a good chance that the quality will improve. I was mainly thinking of the quality of writing since that wasn't Super's strong point.
I see. Well, if Dragon Ball Super: Broly is anything to go by, I've seen people saying that its "pre production time" was great but look at what we still ended up getting... A book with a "beautiful" cover but with almost all its pages trashed.

I don't think this is a matter of how much time they have to produce, but their willing to do and to come up with something.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

I don't think it's lack of effort. There's no more story to tell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 pm

There’s nothing left to do, really. Kind of like Star Wars, it’s run dry. Let it end and move on to newer things.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm I don't think it's lack of effort. There's no more story to tell.
One word. Oob😂😂😂

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm I don't think it's lack of effort. There's no more story to tell.
One word. Oob😂😂😂
I take it that's a reference to the Uub thread where I was adamant that he's not fit to be the main character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.