What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:21 am

Maybe with some other writers at the helm, we'll get the Dragon Ball equivalent to "The Killing Joke" some day.
An overrated, overly dark and violent story that even its writer doesn't care for?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 am

Post end of z

Pan is the main character
Uub is her rival but they are on friendly terms and are a love intrest for eachother
Bra rounds out the main trio
They deal with new threats in the mutliverse

All the normal human Z warriors are Completly retired from fighting, still be in slice of life
the 2nd tier characters that can get fights and a big focus depending on the arc will be Gohan(who will always have a presence as pan's father), goten, trunks, broly, 18, 17, buu, piccolo
also Marron and 17s family
despite this making no sense this franchise already has S cells so the infinite energy drives of 17 and 18 will be inherited and awakened by all there descended so Marron can be a fighter
and 17s biological child (other 2 are adopted) will be a fighter in the main cast. 17s wife will be a black woman with a non offensive non black face design they will have a daughter and she will be the first black human fighter in the main cast and she will be powerful since she inherits infinite energy.
Mr popo will be retired and just never show up

Goku and Vegeta will be around but used sparingly. I want them to be on a hiatus long enouph that when they do get a moment to step in it feels special and nostalgic and rare.

a big focus of this series is that goku Never actually got to master ultra instict permanently
so a big question will be if anyone from earth can actually achieve it

and eventually maybe the last arc of the series Uub will have mastered ultra instict permanently.

big themes are the legacy of your family and masters, surpassing those before you, living up to them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:29 pm

That sounds more like the premise of a spin-off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Toriyama writing, Masaaki Yuasa animating, and Susumu Hirasawa (or Sigh) composing the music.

I'll take literally anything that they come up with together.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Consistently well written, decently animated, competently directed and to have soundtrack that complements its martial arts background.

If they can't do all of this, they shouldn't bother.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am

I hope the serie can be the equivalent of what DBZ was to DB: darker, grittier, more serious and with higher stakes.
To accomplish this I think they must go after the end of the manga, so that there can be more tension.
Of course good animations, Shintani’s designs and a better schedule will help all of this - especially a good schedule as it will ensure the writing can be more consistent and that the presentation will be better due to directors, storyboarders and animators having more time.
Direction will be especially important to make sure there can be more tension like there was in DBZ, so I hope we will be getting a good series director.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 am

How much greater can the stakes be than the end of a universe?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:04 am

emperior wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am I hope the serie can be the equivalent of what DBZ was to DB: darker, grittier, more serious and with higher stakes.
There was barely a change in tone between DB and DBZ especially in regards to the latter half of Dragon Ball.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am

We know that we can't raise the stakes of Dragon Ball anymore than they are at this point. With that said, Goku and Vegeta ought to take on a Hiko Seijuro-esque role - they're so damn powerful that they have become unusable in a normal plot. The problem is, what kind of mood does the story take on when you remove them? They are the quintessential shonen rival type; beyond that, Goku's happy-go-lucky attitude brings constant levity to the series (IMHO, they didn't utilize his rare moments of anger very well at all). Gohan could've been a good protagonist if they'd set up a rational character arc for him post-Cell, but that ship has long sailed and even then, he was still a victim of the series' power creep. The general point is that DB needs to find a way to make battles interesting without relying on infinitely increasing strength. That's how we get shit like Jiren.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am they're so damn powerful that they have become unusable in a normal plot.
What constitutes a normal DB plot?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 pm

The whole push of the series is Goku seeking out strong opponents to make himself stronger. That was the catalyst for the start of the series (leave his home in the mountain side to get stronger and see the world) and that’s how the original series ended (Going off to train and fight potentially his greatest opponent and possible successor). Infinitely increasing strength is just the DNA of the series.

If you feel like that’s become dramatically inert and has gotten stale that probably indicates the series doesn’t need to continue. (You are correct)

Hell, as much as I love the ending for the Boo saga this is why the 23rd Budokai (Goku has officially become strongest under the heavens and has an indefinite arch foe in Piccolo to keep him in shape) or Freeza arc (Goku has discovered his roots and defeated the the tyrant that ruled over the universe with an iron fist) would have worked just as well.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:40 pm

really i think besides the 21st Budokai, 22nd budokai, the piccolo arc and the saiyan arc, dragon ball really could have ended anywhere and it'd be pretty appropriate. obviously you'd need to change some things but they would all work pretty decently as endings. i guess maybe not cell though, having the series end with goku being straight up dead wouldn't be very in tune with the rest of DB, but you could also just frame it as well now he can forever train in the afterlife.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm

It couldn't have ended before Goku won the Tenkaichi Budokai.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:23 am

- Go to End of Z part already
- No more flanderization of characters and overuse of their tropes
- Have Tien retire completely, Toei and Toriyama clearly have no idea how to use that character.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:04 am
emperior wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am I hope the serie can be the equivalent of what DBZ was to DB: darker, grittier, more serious and with higher stakes.
There was barely a change in tone between DB and DBZ especially in regards to the latter half of Dragon Ball.
There was due to the presentation. In fact the reason why we got DBZ and not DB episode 154 was because of Toriyama’s editor who wanted the anime to visually represent the overall change in tone the manga took since Krillin’s first death, and personally picked new staff to work on DBZ.
Be it the music, the overall direction or the colours, I stand by the fact that Z does indeed feel more serious and tense than DB.

If we were to strictly talk about the manga, then I would agree with you although I may also argue that the stories of the Z portion were overall darker than those before, but that’s just my opinion and other may argue that the tone set from King Piccolo arc onwards stays consistent until the end of the manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am

Tons of gay sex and impregnation.

Also, I want to see Kuririn and Videl learn Migatte no Goku'i along with Vegeta so that they have an in-universe explanation for fighting on Gokuu's level. I also want to see more Broli and Chirai along with all of the other characters in slice of life situations. Videl and #18 being cute mamas, please!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am Tons of gay sex and impregnation.
Uhmm....okay...

Anyway, on topic: The problem at EoZ is that Goku is too strong. the writers can either make the villains even stronger or make Goku weaker. Making the villains stronger is pretty hard since all the villains are already strong beyond belief. (It's hard to get stronger than Kid Buu who can casually blow up planets and just regenerate)
Making Goku weaker is what GT did in a fairly original way but you can't keep that up, hence SSJ4. Besides it would feel like a co out.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm It couldn't have ended before Goku won the Tenkaichi Budokai.
that's fair but i do think with in the context of the first 3 arcs, it could have worked, but i get if you think otherwise.
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am Tons of gay sex
god i wish.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Jord wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 am Tons of gay sex and impregnation.
Uhmm....okay...

Anyway, on topic: The problem at EoZ is that Goku is too strong. the writers can either make the villains even stronger or make Goku weaker. Making the villains stronger is pretty hard since all the villains are already strong beyond belief. (It's hard to get stronger than Kid Buu who can casually blow up planets and just regenerate)
Making Goku weaker is what GT did in a fairly original way but you can't keep that up, hence SSJ4. Besides it would feel like a co out.
I like how the ToP handled it by removing flying, it was an interesting way to handicap the protagonists so that they would not be too strong. Maybe they could come up with a villain who somehow negates God ki, so that Goku and Vegeta are limited to their Super Saiyan forms. That would be a good way to introduce a balanced villain who doesn't get roflstomped within the first five episodes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm It couldn't have ended before Goku won the Tenkaichi Budokai.
that's fair but i do think with in the context of the first 3 arcs, it could have worked, but i get if you think otherwise.
Why would the end of the Red Ribbon Army arc be a suitable ending for DB?
There was due to the presentation. In fact the reason why we got DBZ and not DB episode 154 was because of Toriyama’s editor who wanted the anime to visually represent the overall change in tone the manga took since Krillin’s first death, and personally picked new staff to work on DBZ.
Be it the music, the overall direction or the colours, I stand by the fact that Z does indeed feel more serious and tense than DB.

If we were to strictly talk about the manga, then I would agree with you although I may also argue that the stories of the Z portion were overall darker than those before, but that’s just my opinion and other may argue that the tone set from King Piccolo arc onwards stays consistent until the end of the manga.
It's all DB. The Z portion was darker, but that was what happened over the course of the manga, it got darker and more mature. DBZ added a Z at the end and slightly changed the score, otherwise it's the same. The anime changed because the manga changed, and while Kuririn's death was a watershed moment, that moment had been built towards as the overall tone was getting more earnest, for lack of a better word.