What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: What do you want the next DragonBall series to be like?

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 pm
Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm I don't think it's lack of effort. There's no more story to tell.
One word. Oob😂😂😂
I take it that's a reference to the Uub thread where I was adamant that he's not fit to be the main character.
Yes lol😂😂😂 you can tell more stories with Oob in the lead along with Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks. It'll be fun

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 pm

well yeah, you CAN do that but why ? and i don't mean that in like a snarky way, just what's the point, those stories don't need to be told, and the people in charge of the series don't even seem capable of writing good and fulfilling stories nowadays.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Oob isn’t interesting. He exist purely to fulfill Goku’s wish of that one great fight.

I generally detest “The next generation” stories

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:24 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am Non-existent.
yeah seriously, the series really just....shouldn't still be going. there's just no reason to, it had a ending (even if i'm not a big fan of either of the manga's endings or GT's), just let it end.
I quite like Z’s ending, but I would have been more than okay with the story ending at the 23rd Budokai or Namek. But regardless of all that the story ended in 1995. The lukewarm reception to GT (and even the Boo arc I guess?) was clear of that.

Even if Super had been an amazing and not a case of Toei half-ass selling nostalgia it has no reason to exist.

Even Battle of the Gods which at the time felt like a treat became the start of “too much of a good thing..”

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm

DB has tread so much ground that it fell into formula. There's no new ground to walk that doesn't feel like same song, different verse. We can't even say "let it end gracefully" because that train has sailed.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm I quite like Z’s ending, but I would have been more than okay with the story ending at the 23rd Budokai or Namek. But regardless of all that the story ended in 1995. The lukewarm reception to GT (and even the Boo arc I guess?) was clear of that.
i actually think it's a good ending and pretty fitting for the series, just goku going off with oob mid tournament makes me feel bad for the other characters, lol :S
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm I quite like Z’s ending, but I would have been more than okay with the story ending at the 23rd Budokai or Namek. But regardless of all that the story ended in 1995. The lukewarm reception to GT (and even the Boo arc I guess?) was clear of that.
i actually think it's a good ending and pretty fitting for the series, just goku going off with oob mid tournament makes me feel bad for the other characters, lol :S
Tbh...had the story ended with 23rd TB or Namek Arc, we wouldnt even be here. No joke. We wouldnt be discussing abt Oob. Or EoZ. Or Super. Or this very topic...on what you want next DragonBall series to be like...there simply wouldnt be another....

DB had it ended @ 23rd TB or Z had it ended@Namek arc would've just been lumped together with YYH, HunterHunter, Rurourin Kenshin, Saint Seiya & countless other shows that no one actually gives a damn abt nowadays. No offence, but we're blessed with tons of DB-related (DB/Z/GT/Super) merchandise,specials, OVAS, forums, threads, websites, discussions over show which ended frickin 20 years ago...and most of it is earned from Frieza~Boo Arc or GT for some

Regardless of what others think, popularity may not equate to quality, but DB frachise had such impact across the globe during its run and has dormant staying power over the years which shows why such lazy-ass attempts with Kai & Super is still being welcomed with open hands by fans across the globe

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 pm and most of it is earned from Frieza~Boo Arc or GT for some
Yes with Freeza, but how do you figure it was earned with Buu and Cell and GT of all things? I finid that argument misguided. DB didn't earn its place in pop culture in only the last three arcs of its run.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am

Good animation (preferably with Shintani's designs), music and storytelling. It's really that simple. I'm open to any story ideas Toriyama has that Toyotaro and the TOEI staff can flesh out, but it would be cool to see new things done, bring in villains with more grey area to their motivations, develop this new version of Broly, get some genuinely funny slice-of-life episodes that give time to minor characters. I will take what I can get when it comes to new Dragon Ball episodes, but when its good, its really good, hopefully we will get more.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 am

Toei is only making this because fans keep watching. What is with people's aversion to letting stories end?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:05 am

I want the series to continue after the EoZ (I'd like it if the next movie caught up with it), and that Goku stepped down from the spotlight and became a mentor for Uub. A return to adventuring, and ONLY when necessary Goku steps in. Goten, Pan and Trunks can be relevant too. Or not continue at all if we get the same old same old. Movies are welcome though

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am

No, do a spin off then if Goku isn't the main character. Dragon Ball is Goku's story and it's reached its end. What is there left to explore with him? Perhaps old age and being past his prime if the story would allow for it. If that's the case, I also don't want it about him training someone else. That could be interesting, but no on changing main characters. I'm in agreement that Next Gen stories generally don't work well.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:42 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:05 am I want the series to continue after the EoZ (I'd like it if the next movie caught up with it), and that Goku stepped down from the spotlight and became a mentor for Uub. A return to adventuring, and ONLY when necessary Goku steps in. Goten, Pan and Trunks can be relevant too. Or not continue at all if we get the same old same old. Movies are welcome though
We already got that with GT and Toei is very careful not to overlap GT in the timeline.

I do agree that Goku needs some time out of the spotlight though but it's very hard to imagine people not complaining about missing. Even though I liked it , the Garlic Jr saga gets a lot of flack, with a part of it coming from the absence of Goku/Vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:46 am

Jord wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:42 am
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:05 am I want the series to continue after the EoZ (I'd like it if the next movie caught up with it), and that Goku stepped down from the spotlight and became a mentor for Uub. A return to adventuring, and ONLY when necessary Goku steps in. Goten, Pan and Trunks can be relevant too. Or not continue at all if we get the same old same old. Movies are welcome though
We already got that with GT and Toei is very careful not to overlap GT in the timeline.

I do agree that Goku needs some time out of the spotlight though but it's very hard to imagine people not complaining about missing. Even though I liked it , the Garlic Jr saga gets a lot of flack, with a part of it coming from the absence of Goku/Vegeta.
The absence was short. It doesn't follow that because it arguably worked in that arc's favor, it would work longer term. I also don't understand why people want him out of the spotlight. If he's not the main character, the next DB series should be a spin off, otherwise it's not DB and the use of the title is purely for marketing.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 am

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am No, do a spin off then if Goku isn't the main character. Dragon Ball is Goku's story and it's reached its end. What is there left to explore with him? Perhaps old age and being past his prime if the story would allow for it. If that's the case, I also don't want it about him training someone else. That could be interesting, but no on changing main characters. I'm in agreement that Next Gen stories generally don't work well.
I'm not saying make Goku absent, just not the one doing everything that needs to be done. Similar to how he treated Gohan in the Cell saga, and leaving things to Goten and Trunks (then hanging out with Gohan) in the Buu saga. Then if noone can manage, he comes in. They did the relevance balancing very well prior to Super. Also it's been a while since they added anything new to the Z warrior lineup. Either way, I'm not arguing, this is just what I'd want

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:56 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 am
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am No, do a spin off then if Goku isn't the main character. Dragon Ball is Goku's story and it's reached its end. What is there left to explore with him? Perhaps old age and being past his prime if the story would allow for it. If that's the case, I also don't want it about him training someone else. That could be interesting, but no on changing main characters. I'm in agreement that Next Gen stories generally don't work well.
I'm not saying make Goku absent, just not the one doing everything that needs to be done. Similar to how he treated Gohan in the Cell saga, and leaving things to Goten and Trunks (then hanging out with Gohan) in the Buu saga. Then if noone can manage, he comes in. They did the relevance balancing very well prior to Super. Also it's been a while since they added anything new to the Z warrior lineup.
I don't understand, are the examples you've given ones where it balanced characters well? If anything, it didn't. Instead of giving those characters something to do that was meaningful, it showed how ill-equipped they were for that spot. I'd look to the story from the beginning through the Freeza arc to how to utilize characters.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:12 am

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 am Toei is only making this because fans keep watching. What is with people's aversion to letting stories end?
I don't know if its aversion. I'd personally accept it if there was no new Dragon Ball series being made. I accepted that for the better part of a decade. It's moreso Dragon Ball is just a fun show to watch and whenever there's new content being released I'm just willing to give it a chance. Sure not all of the new stuff has been great but there's been enough great moments to make it worthwhile.

It's also worth noting a lot of people have things they watch that's like comfort food. Many people I know personally watch reality TV knowing its not all that great but they find it entertaining. I don't watch reality TV because Dragon Ball gives me that escapism.

I'd also say it doesn't hurt for new content to exist. The only essential watching for this series is OG DB + DBZ/Kai. The movies, GT, Super and Super Dragon Ball Heroes are all just extra content that exist for anyone who wants more. If anyone doesn't like them they can disregard them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:53 am I'm not saying make Goku absent, just not the one doing everything that needs to be done. Similar to how he treated Gohan in the Cell saga, and leaving things to Goten and Trunks (then hanging out with Gohan) in the Buu saga. Then if noone can manage, he comes in. They did the relevance balancing very well prior to Super. Also it's been a while since they added anything new to the Z warrior lineup. Either way, I'm not arguing, this is just what I'd want
i don't entirely agree with your point, mainly on the cell arc i don't think it balanced that stuff well, but i agree with the boo arc and i'm fond of the mentor like role he has in the latter part of the cell arc, but yeah i do genuinely love goku just chilling with kaioshin and gohan for a good portion of the boo arc. it's a very small thing but i like those scenes a lot and it's just nice to have more goku scenes where he's not fighting after the last 2 arcs where he was either fighting or stuck in a spaceship/healing pod/bed for a good majority of them.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 am

It doesn't "hurt" but it's very disappointing seeing it fall from what it was. Shows like Breaking Bad and Halt & Catch Fire were short but knew when to end and I have nothing but great memories and feelings about those shows, thus I'm eager to watch them over and over again. I'm a little less eager to rewatch Arrested Development because of the previous two seasons. I also really like Supernatural. It was at one time my favorite show, but given how long in the tooth its gotten, it does taint my enjoyment. I wish they had kept to Kripke's original five year arc.

I know TV is often comfort food, but good stories are also very comforting. I'm not even averse to shows that go on for a very long time, but it doesn't work as well for serialized shows which by their nature are about change. The everlasting gobstopper of shows is best suited for procedurals or wrestling, but at least with wrestling there's a natural turnover of personalities.

A lot of what makes any TV show or film work is lightning in a bottle and even if the actors and the writer(s) stay, that magic will not sustain forever.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:12 am
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 am Toei is only making this because fans keep watching. What is with people's aversion to letting stories end?
I don't know if its aversion. I'd personally accept it if there was no new Dragon Ball series being made. I accepted that for the better part of a decade. It's moreso Dragon Ball is just a fun show to watch and whenever there's new content being released I'm just willing to give it a chance. Sure not all of the new stuff has been great but there's been enough great moments to make it worthwhile.

It's also worth noting a lot of people have things they watch that's like comfort food. Many people I know personally watch reality TV knowing its not all that great but they find it entertaining. I don't watch reality TV because Dragon Ball gives me that escapism.

I'd also say it doesn't hurt for new content to exist. The only essential watching for this series is OG DB + DBZ/Kai. The movies, GT, Super and Super Dragon Ball Heroes are all just extra content that exist for anyone who wants more. If anyone doesn't like them they can disregard them.
That's a very healthy approach instead of arguing about things like canon or personal dislikes. I myself like DB/Z/GT a lot but I do appreciate how things like Heroes and Super give us new or revamped characters. I mean, I'm not a big Heroes fan but I do get a kick out of all the what-ifs like SS4 Vegeto recently.