DBZ Kai Credits Inquiry

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarioSonicU

DBZ Kai Credits Inquiry

Post by MarioSonicU » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 pm

When I saw the Kai dub, I noticed that the TV dub referred to it was "Reversioned", while Kai TFC was a "English Version", and Super was an "English Localization". I'm a bit confused because, didn't FUNi forgo the whole "reversioning" phase that was present in the Original trilogy (Original DB, Z, GT, and the movies (except for 1, 2, and 8 in terms of script).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Kai Credits Inquiry

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 pm

MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 pm When I saw the Kai dub, I noticed that the TV dub referred to it was "Reversioned", while Kai TFC was a "English Version", and Super was an "English Localization". I'm a bit confused because, didn't FUNi forgo the whole "reversioning" phase that was present in the Original trilogy (Original DB, Z, GT, and the movies (except for 1, 2, and 8 in terms of script).
"Reversioning," in this context, was just a term they came up with, and it doesn't mean the same thing to us that it does to them.

They were new to the dubbing industry at the time they came up with that term, and just didn't think to use the terms "English Version," or "English Localization." Fans have since come to think of the word "reversioning" as meaning "unfaithfully dubbing a show or movie," but to them, it just meant, "doing an English dub." I really don't think much thought went into their word choice there, that's just the term they came up with and, for whatever random reason, decided to stop using.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 pm
MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 pm When I saw the Kai dub, I noticed that the TV dub referred to it was "Reversioned", while Kai TFC was a "English Version", and Super was an "English Localization". I'm a bit confused because, didn't FUNi forgo the whole "reversioning" phase that was present in the Original trilogy (Original DB, Z, GT, and the movies (except for 1, 2, and 8 in terms of script).
"Reversioning," in this context, was just a term they came up with, and it doesn't mean the same thing to us that it does to them.

They were new to the dubbing industry at the time they came up with that term, and just didn't think to use the terms "English Version," or "English Localization." Fans have since come to think of the word "reversioning" as meaning "unfaithfully dubbing a show or movie," but to them, it just meant, "doing an English dub." I really don't think much thought went into their word choice there, that's just the term they came up with and, for whatever random reason, decided to stop using.
Reversioning is in reference to Kai, though, not the original Z anime.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Reversioning is in reference to Kai, though, not the original Z anime.
Right, but what I was saying is that just because "reversioning" to us fans means "dubbing something inaccurately," to FUNimation it was just the term they used to describe doing an English dub, and could be considered interchangeable with "English Version" or "English Localization." Hence the reason it was used for both DBZ and Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am

The plot thickens:
Nah, they must have just re-worded their credits between editing each version. They also stopped the stylisation of FUNimation. I'm pretty sure One Piece's credits go through similar changes to how Funi words their credit.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am The plot thickens:
Nah, they must have just re-worded their credits between editing each version. They also stopped the stylisation of FUNimation. I'm pretty sure One Piece's credits go through similar changes to how Funi words their credit.
Hmm, I wonder, since the edited version is using the older "FUNimation" stylization, do you think this means that the edited version was actually put together before the uncut version was?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.