How did they do it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

ronaldnorth_03

How did they do it?

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:06 pm

I'm not an expert and maybe that explains my astonishment when watching this video. But how did he manage to do that? You liked it, explain it to me. :o :crazy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=US_f_2EYyp8&t=55s

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: How did they do it?

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Sharpening filter plus some colour-correction to taste. Given the fact it's been upscaled to 4K, I'd guess he used something akin to ESRGAN to upscale it. In theory, Kai is an okay master, just one afflicted with massive blurriness; a filter fancy enough can both restore some of the lost detail, and fake much more detail than was actually in the picture well enough to look pretty good for a YouTube "fan remaster" video.

Personally, I have criticisms, I'm not a fan, but it's a fan "remaster"/upscale based on consumer, compressed footage, done with no budget, and released as just a YouTube video to show off the filtering. For what it is, it is somewhat impressive. Though it does lose marks for the "35mm" lie. And remember, this is Enigmo's work, and giving that particular gum on this fandom's shoe any more exposure is not a good idea.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.