Dragon Ball Super's Filter

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Super's Filter

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Does anyone know a video editor that has a filter similar to the one used in the Universe Survival arc?

I would also like to know if there is anything like the DBS filter: Broly

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super's Filter

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 am

And while we're at it, one that looks like Shintani style.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Not really a built in filter but there is a video that shows how to reproduce that effect on image and you could easily try it in some video editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMOi_ViRRA
I think it gives good effect.

Some examples of GT screenshots edited with this tutorial:
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Eugh, I'm sure that filter used to be a preset in Sony Vegas, I was using it on Naruto AMVs 10+ years ago. Can't say I'm still a fan.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:15 am

Ajay did something of a tutorial on this a few years ago. Dunno if you could apply it to the whole show, and the blue light in his example looks kind of wack.

The Broly film's filter is just the same rough line filter used in Super without the blurring, contrast changes or any additional light added. You can see it in Tiger Mask W in a similar style.

You can't make a filter for "Shintani style", since those are character designs and filters don't literally alter the way a character is drawn.

In general though without the proper knowledge of compositing every attempt to alter the show is gonna look funky somehow. Even when Toei does it it's not always perfect, and it tends to give off a lot of shitty AMV/orange brick/SUPER WITH Z COLORS youtube video vibes, which all look like crap.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 am

I really disliked the universal survivor arc filter.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

The filter was very bad in some places (ex. Kaioshin’s planet), but actually looked fine in others.
I would rather have no filter though, except for the line-art one which is always welcome and which they were able to improve upon in Broly’s movie.
The fact people can so easily replicate the filter used from episode 77 onwards is proof that it was nothing extraordinary, while the line-art filter used in Broly so far has been sort of replicated by some people but not perfectly.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am The fact people can so easily replicate the filter used from episode 77 onwards is proof that it was nothing extraordinary, while the line-art filter used in Broly so far has been sort of replicated by some people but not perfectly.
Turns out that the filter is actually good drawings and animation.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:58 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am The fact people can so easily replicate the filter used from episode 77 onwards is proof that it was nothing extraordinary, while the line-art filter used in Broly so far has been sort of replicated by some people but not perfectly.
It’s not. Broly has a different line-art filter than what was used in Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 am

emperior wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:58 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm
It’s not. Broly has a different line-art filter than what was used in Super.
That was a joke on how Shintani's art style is a lot easier to animate to and thus the animation looks more fluid and appealing, haha.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Any example vids of fan copying Shintani's filter?

Also I notice this is used in Wano Arc One Piece too.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:03 pm

Again, there is no "Shintani filter". It's just the same line filter from Super 1.0 and One Piece (sans blurring) and tiger mask.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

^ I'm not sure it's the same line filter at all.
The DBS filter seems to only amplify lines, but it doesn't give them that sketchy look.

What we need is the Broly (and apparently Tiger Mask) filter that not only amplifies, but also turns regular lines into "dirty" sketch-like lines.

If anyone has found it so that we can all play around turning Dragon Ball art from all eras and all sources into Shintani-like artstyle, especially on something free like Gimp, that would be great to share how to do it, how to "Shintanize" all kinds of existing DB artworks just for fun.

The "DBS" filter is likely easy to figure out and reproduce.
The much more impactful "DBS Broly" filter on the other hand is even more interesting, but we'd really need somebody to give us the secret to it.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm ^ I'm not sure it's the same line filter at all.
The DBS filter seems to only amplify lines, but it doesn't give them that sketchy look.

What we need is the Broly (and apparently Tiger Mask) filter that not only amplifies, but also turns regular lines into "dirty" sketch-like lines.

If anyone has found it so that we can all play around turning Dragon Ball art from all eras and all sources into Shintani-like artstyle, especially on something free like Gimp, that would be great to share how to do it, how to "Shintanize" all kinds of existing DB artworks just for fun.

The "DBS" filter is likely easy to figure out and reproduce.
The much more impactful "DBS Broly" filter on the other hand is even more interesting, but we'd really need somebody to give us the secret to it.
Such a dramatic difference this makes. We really need this.