DVD question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Teddy_Beer

DVD question

Post by Teddy_Beer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello,

I have three Dragon Boxes and audio files of the original broadcast. I was wondering if I could replace the audio tracks of the DBox jp audio with the broadcast audio files of the corresponding episodes.

Thank you.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: DVD question

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:49 pm

You cannot replace the audio track on the original discs themselves. You can make high quality copies of the video in a format that supports multiple audio tracks (.mkv being a popular one), and add the broadcast audio to that video copy. I am not sure if you could rip a 1:1 ISO and replace the Japanese tracks inside it (which would give you a perfect copy of the disc menus and all, just with the new Japanese audio), but other posters here will know that for sure.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:13 pm

You could make a burned copy of the DVDs with broadcast audio, if you know the right programs to use.

If you have space on your hard drive, you could use something like DVD Decrypter, or somewhat less preferably MakeMKV. Then use MKVToolNix or somesuch to combine the DVD video and audio with broadcast audio, provided the broadcast audio is properly synced.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 pm

I feel like the real magic trick (that someone like myself can't figure out yet) is being able to sync that audio to the video. There are lots of variables: brief pause time before the intro, commercial break, next episode preview, etc. Even if you manage to sync the first half of the episode, the second half could be out-of-sync.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 pm I feel like the real magic trick (that someone like myself can't figure out yet) is being able to sync that audio to the video. There are lots of variables: brief pause time before the intro, commercial break, next episode preview, etc. Even if you manage to sync the first half of the episode, the second half could be out-of-sync.
Yeah, that can be tricky.
It's doable, though. You can create small amounts of silence in Audacity, split up the original audio at the points where you need additional silence, and stitch it together with the additional silence merged in. Similarly, split out any time you want out, and merge the audio together without that.

But realistically, if you want it to sync up properly, you're gonna have to just re-encode. Best to do it lossless, since the size difference won't be all that big (at least, assuming you're not working on a laptop with a tiny hard drive), and you don't have to worry about degrading the audio if you ever want to modify it again or anything like that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:53 pm I feel like the real magic trick (that someone like myself can't figure out yet) is being able to sync that audio to the video. There are lots of variables: brief pause time before the intro, commercial break, next episode preview, etc. Even if you manage to sync the first half of the episode, the second half could be out-of-sync.
Yeah, that can be tricky.
It's doable, though. You can create small amounts of silence in Audacity, split up the original audio at the points where you need additional silence, and stitch it together with the additional silence merged in. Similarly, split out any time you want out, and merge the audio together without that.

But realistically, if you want it to sync up properly, you're gonna have to just re-encode. Best to do it lossless, since the size difference won't be all that big (at least, assuming you're not working on a laptop with a tiny hard drive), and you don't have to worry about degrading the audio if you ever want to modify it again or anything like that.
I used Audacity to try to sync up a Latin American audio track with the Dragon Box. I put both the Japanese and Spanish audio together, made cuts, extended silence, lined them up perfectly. Used Freemake (though I paid for mine) to combine the video and audio, and it ended up being out-of-sync. So I guess my next question is: what's a good tool to use to add audio onto video?

I'm not even talking multiple audio tracks that one could switch between (though that would be cool too).

It's really making my Frankenstein's Monster project basically impossible with my very limited knowledge on this (that project being to blend the original Saban Ocean dub with Funimation's re-dub over Dragon Box video... yes, I know it'll be pretty bad with the music and whatnot, but I just want to do it).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am what's a good tool to use to add audio onto video?
MKVToolNix. Indispensible tool once you know how to use it. And it's so intuitive, that'll take barely any time at all. :)
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am I'm not even talking multiple audio tracks that one could switch between (though that would be cool too).
MKVToolNix can do multiple audio tracks. It can also do multiple video tracks, though that can be glitchy. You can also mux in multiple subtitle tracks, which generally work great. And for fancy .ASS subtitles, you can pack in the fonts and such too, I believe.

I think MKVToolNix can even do ordered chapters shenanigans, but that can be difficult to set up.

It can also do regular chapters, and has a nice facility for setting that up, which can simply edit the subtitles of an existing MKV file and save them directly to it without any remuxing. Very convenient.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:10 am It's really making my Frankenstein's Monster project basically impossible with my very limited knowledge on this (that project being to blend the original Saban Ocean dub with Funimation's re-dub over Dragon Box video... yes, I know it'll be pretty bad with the music and whatnot, but I just want to do it).
Lol. Personally, I think trying to fit cut dubs to uncut footage is a fool's errand, but hey, if you find the project fun, then more power to you. Either way, you'll probably learn a lot doing it. :)

Here's my main piece of advice:
Audacity, MKVToolNix, MeGUI, and DVD Decryptor should give you all you need for this project. Though if you're not re-encoding, you won't need MeGUI. Also, keep your audio lossless; FLAC is best. Saving lossy just potentially screws you over later.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm MKVToolNix can do multiple audio tracks. It can also do multiple video tracks, though that can be glitchy. You can also mux in multiple subtitle tracks, which generally work great. And for fancy .ASS subtitles, you can pack in the fonts and such too, I believe.

I think MKVToolNix can even do ordered chapters shenanigans, but that can be difficult to set up.

It can also do regular chapters, and has a nice facility for setting that up, which can simply edit the subtitles of an existing MKV file and save them directly to it without any remuxing. Very convenient.
Remind me to contact you once I've finished Dragon Ball Kai: T1C for getting the MKV part done!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:03 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm MKVToolNix can do multiple audio tracks. It can also do multiple video tracks, though that can be glitchy. You can also mux in multiple subtitle tracks, which generally work great. And for fancy .ASS subtitles, you can pack in the fonts and such too, I believe.

Remind me to contact you once I've finished Dragon Ball Kai: T1C for getting the MKV part done!
I'll be happy to help out. :)