Walmart 30th anniversary endcap

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Walmart 30th anniversary endcap

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Relatively minor, but it looks like Walmarts have an endcap set up in their movies section if anyone’s looking to fill in some gaps for their collection. Nothing all that exciting and definitely set up for the more casual collector, but the prices aren’t too bad. They have special exclusive slipcovers, but underneath is just the regular cover art. Your stores may vary but mine has a really random assortment - the nine orange bricks, Movie 8 single, Movie 8, 10, 11 triple pack, Movie 9, 12, 13 triple pack, Movie 14, Movie 15, the first six volumes of Super but DVD only, and both yellow bricks. The only Blu-rays available are Movies 14 and 15.

Also the best Dragon Ball property - Beyblade.

The slipcovers have uniform spines kind of like the season Blu-ray sets so that’s cool I guess. Like I said, nothing too fancy but if you’re missing some stuff the prices aren’t too bad and each one seems to come with a $2 Vudu code.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Walmart 30th anniversary endcap

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 pm

Those slipcovers look really cool! I like how they make them uniform with the Super sets. I wouldn't mind the GT ones actually since my two sets just doubled up on the SS4 Goku!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:32 pm

That's a nice looking setup! Imagine if Wally World had some back ordered Dragonboxes and they just put em out lol :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:03 pm Relatively minor, but it looks like Walmarts have an endcap set up in their movies section if anyone’s looking to fill in some gaps for their collection. Nothing all that exciting and definitely set up for the more casual collector, but the prices aren’t too bad. They have special exclusive slipcovers, but underneath is just the regular cover art. Your stores may vary but mine has a really random assortment - the nine orange bricks, Movie 8 single, Movie 8, 10, 11 triple pack, Movie 9, 12, 13 triple pack, Movie 14, Movie 15, the first six volumes of Super but DVD only, and both yellow bricks. The only Blu-rays available are Movies 14 and 15.

Also the best Dragon Ball property - Beyblade.

The slipcovers have uniform spines kind of like the season Blu-ray sets so that’s cool I guess. Like I said, nothing too fancy but if you’re missing some stuff the prices aren’t too bad and each one seems to come with a $2 Vudu code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMWupkS6U0
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 am

Not a fan of these slipcovers if I'm being honest, would prefer if the spines for the Orange Bricks contained the Shenron and Dragon Ball Z image as that would fix the biggest design flaw with the orange bricks. Granted it wouldn't help the video quality but in terms of packaging it would be a minor improvement. The Perfect Cell art is also awful. That said the prices aren't terrible for someone starting off their collection.

What were the back of the slipcovers like?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:42 am

Ah, I see that Funimation has borrowed the "central character with a plain background that looks bland on its own but makes the set stand out when you have a bunch together on a shop shelf, so you only use it for back-catalogue" style of DVD/BD artwork. This is generally something done for kids releases, which Dragon Ball kinda is but also isn't.
I like how needlessly confusing it is that the new R:F slipcover uses the same artwork as DBS part 2.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:42 am I like how needlessly confusing it is that the new R:F slipcover uses the same artwork as DBS part 2.
Appropriate though as that's likely when Super did Resurrection F for no good reason!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Why are those new Orange Bricks tempting to me? I can't quite figure it out. Especially with how goofy Cell looks:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Why are still using Piccolo for Season 7? Dabra or Majin Vegeta would make more sense.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm Why are still using Piccolo for Season 7? Dabra or Majin Vegeta would make more sense.
To keep consistent with the original boxart. I think the design idea here is to take the old Orange Brick designs and refresh them to match that of the Super boxsets.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:48 pm

I reached out to FUNimation on Twitter to ask about these exclusive decals and if more were planned for the other movies. Here was their response.
Sadly, we have not made any announcements about any new releases for Dragon Ball Z outside of the 30th Anniversary Set we have slated to release before the year is out. Please continue to visit our blog page as we will post all new relevant information regarding the Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Set there fist!
Something else to know is that while I was trying to locate these DVDs for my collection, several people who checked their local Walmarts for me (some of whom had seen the display only a few days prior) reported them gone and back to the Disney-style display. And this was haplening just days after it had launched on May 27th.

So either FUNimation's social media has no idea about this Walmart promotion going on or Walmart put these out earlier than planned. Maybe these were supposed to go up in November around the time the 30th anniversary Blu-ray for DBZ dropped.