Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Keep in mind, also, that Sean Schemmel has a gay father. He's been a blowhard in the past, but I doubt he would have intentionally said anything to demean his own father.

Not that he didn't make a mistake, mind you. But his acts don't have the intentionality that Vic's do.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:22 pm
PhoenixEX wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm
What do you mean by the PizzaGate guys?
I’m assuming you’re familiar with PizzaGate?

Anyway, basically, the PizzaGate movement was being lead by people like Mike Cernovich. Mike Cernovich has had a history of making pro-rape comments, along with some homophobic and transphobic remarks. He also was once arrested for rape, and had to plead it down to battery after hiring a private investigator to harass a witness. He also once wrote a blog post where he bragged about a time that he masterbated in front of a woman in her car without her consent because she refused to have sex with him. Finally, the PizzaGate conspiracy that he helped spread nearly got the owner of a pizza parlor killed by a crazed gunman. Despite all this, he has never apologized for a single thing he’s done or said, and yet he continues to try and smear people who disagree with him, often by digging up past tweets of theirs.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there are many people who have said shitty things who never apologized for them, and many of them are the same people who are pretending to be outraged at Schemmel’s immature jokes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Schemmel’s jokes are okay, but the ISWV people don’t care about that. They just want to smear anyone who they perceive as an enemy to their favorite voice actor.
Oh yes I am very familiar with the PizzaGate conspiracy theories. If you ask me anyone that actually believes those conspiracy theories are a bunch of loons. I've had to explain to many people over on reddit that PizzaGate is nonsense, that the government isn't coming to take your guns, that vaccines are okay to take and that there are no globalist secret societies coming to take away your rights and create a one world government. I swear, people will believe anything they hear nowadays. Spreading nonsensical conspiracy theories like those are dangerous and I believe that something needs to be done about it. One can't yell fire in a crowded theater, but one can post online that there is a plot by the Jews to replace white people to rile up certain people into committing acts of violence? That doesn't seem right.

Sure, he's never apologized but that guy stands for some crazy stuff and clearly, from the sounds of it, isn't someone most sane people would like to have over for dinner. Those that do apologize are usually people who have grown up since the offensive comments they made have made and understand that by apologizing they are doing the right thing. That's why I'm saying Sean Schemmel should apologize. I'm sure he's grown and I'm sure he doesn't believe any of the things he said, but not everybody is going to see it that way.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:07 am
Location: NJ

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Mosaic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm
Keep in mind, also, that Sean Schemmel has a gay father. He's been a blowhard in the past, but I doubt he would have intentionally said anything to demean his own father.
If anything, that makes him throwing faggot around even worse. If he was married to a black woman, would it be okay for him to throw the n-word around?

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:44 pm
If anything, that makes him throwing faggot around even worse. If he was married to a black woman, would it be okay for him to throw the n-word around?
One thing that used to confuse me for a while is "why is it ok for black people to say n*****r, but not anyone else?"

From that perspective, I can see how the Sean of 16 years ago might've thought it was ok.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 pm

This reminds me of those many stories of animators hiding genitals in the background of cartoons or in single frames, or drawing up comical pornography of the projects they're working on that no one else was meant to see. A story as old as entertainment itself.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Fionordequester wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm
Keep in mind, also, that Sean Schemmel has a gay father. He's been a blowhard in the past, but I doubt he would have intentionally said anything to demean his own father.
If anything, that makes him throwing faggot around even worse. If he was married to a black woman, would it be okay for him to throw the n-word around?
I have zero interest in defending Schemmel but especially in the early 2000s throwing around words like faggot wasn’t nearly as scrutinized as it is now. It was just another word bro types throw at each other to demean each other and others.

He shouldn’t have said it but saying it is hardly indicative of his character. I don’t think having a gay dad gives him a pass and means he’s not homophobic but I wouldn’t use his insensitive choices of words in what was meant to be some fun jokes amongst co-workers as a case against him.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Pardon me for not attaching a url to text like I normally do, but I’m on my phone. According to this article, the leaks have offended some of the Japanese voice actors, who are “actively tweeting about it.” Any truth to this?

https://gamerant.com/funimation-audio-l ... gn=GR-FB-P
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 am
Regarding the gay/sex/porn jokes though, I think that if they did it today with Super, then there would've been more of an uproar. Those outtakes were done in the late 90s and/or early 2000s, where less people were offended and where Family Guy was at its prime with gay jokes all around (the creators say that now they're phasing out on the gay jokes). Again, some of those outtakes were tasteless at best and I do hope the VAs look back and cringe at how dumb they were for doing that, but again, those were different times.

Again, VAs goofing off has nothing to do with Dicknogna doing what he did!
I mean, have you SEEN Family Guy in the last 10 years? They're not any better. In fact, they're worse now than they were years ago. Also, pretty sure they haven't phased out the gay jokes, considering they've had jokes towards the other parts of the LGBT community. They had Brian throw up for a good 30 seconds when he found out he slept with a trans woman, for crying out loud.
Also, while FUNi certainly doesn't try to joke about the LGBT community, some of their script writers are really not seeming to be ok with it themselves. Jamie Marchi wrote the scripts for the dub of Dragonmaid & completely straight-washed one of the main characters for no reason. Even so, VAs making jokes doesn't indicate they themselves think that way. You can find shock humor funny & not believe that what the shock humor entails is true, though that also depends on who's telling the jokes & how it's delivered, as with all comedy.
Old out of context outtakes aren't really something to fire someone over just like James Gunn's old tweets as long as the actors didn't mean them &/or regret them anyways. I doubt anything's gonna be done here. Funny how pissed off & vindictive Vic fans are acting more like the SJWs they blame. Finding old recordings of actors they hate by hacking into servers of a company & taking them out of context is completely scummy shit. I mean, if you have to search for people being shitty to "Expose" them that hard, then you either have a vendetta, or trouble accepting that they haven't done something that bad.
In any case, Disney did a private investigation & found James Gunn was safe to rehire, so FUNi will do the same. Funny how when you fight fire with fire, you get burned. Also how dangerous cancel culture can be when it's used on people who don't deserve it. People are just SO salty over this situation &, rather than wait for a verdict (which is what I'm doing), they waste their energies really forcing shit along. It's pathetic.
Zinnia wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:52 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:46 am
The same company that did all kinds of creepy things with Pan in GT.
That used to be a part of Japanese's humor back then. It's not like they ever showed her naked or anything, the Dolltaki scenes were always cut short. DB could show Kid Goku naked all the time, so it's not like Pan was exclusive for these kind of jokes anyway.
Exactly. Times change, standards change, most people get better with both. I'm betting there are some VERY interesting recordings of The Beatles, for example, that Paul & Ringo would regret if they made it out into the public & that was the 60's! If/when they age up Pan in future DB material, I'm really doubting they'll treat her the same as in GT due to different standards.
I mean, for god's sake, she was 9 in GT! Yeah, she's very tough & durable due to being Gohan's kid, but why would they do some of the things they did with her there?
But, times have changed.
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm
God, it’s a really good thing that South Park has a lot of conservative fans, and that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are Republicans. If these ISWV people held them to the same standard they’ve been holding people like James Gunn and some FUNimation voice actors, then South Park would be in a lot of trouble right now.
Bruh, have you actually watched South Park, especially in the last several years? Matt Stone & Trey Parker are FAR from Republicans. Season 20 was ALL ABOUT shitting on Trump. They think he's a big joke at best. The best part about South Park, though, is that they don't just take shots at one side of an argument. If they don't agree with the other side, they'll shit on THAT side too. Granted, Season 20 got too heavy-handed with its politics, but they're more of left-leaning centrists or libertarians than anything. Hell, they apologized for making fun of Al Gore & global warming years ago. What Republican would ever agree that climate change is a real thing? This ain't it, chief.
MasenkoHA wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:33 pm
Their politics are libertarian and the show obviously reflects this as well as several of their quotes. But I believe one or both is registered as a Republican.
Considering some states require you register as SOMETHING or they won't let you vote (in my state, you can't even be an Independent, since they don't let those people vote for some reason), I'm not surprised they registered as that if they did.
Last edited by Scsigs on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:34 pm
Pardon me for not attaching a url to text like I normally do, but I’m on my phone. According to this article, the leaks have offended some of the Japanese voice actors, who are “actively tweeting about it.” Any truth to this?

https://gamerant.com/funimation-audio-l ... gn=GR-FB-P
One Japanese-American actor living in LA (not involved with DB in any way) tweeted negatively regarding the matter, but he doesn't have any actual power in this. He also seems to be unaware that this was a private recording that was stolen, calling it a "parody".

What surprises me is just how many VicStans out there want to burn Funimation to the ground just because one guy was rightfully fired. Their heads are so far up their asses at this point that they've managed to take their own virginities.

So, in their minds some offset jokes done almost 2 decades ago are worse than a guy literally attempting rape and being a creep.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
Tian
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Tian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:40 pm

https://twitter.com/NickRekieta/status/ ... 1320919040

I don't really know what's worse. Using this leak thing to defend someone like Vignogna or Toei finding out about this leak thing...
[Enter a cool signature here]

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm
Even so, VAs making jokes doesn't indicate they themselves think that way. You can find shock humor funny & not believe that what the shock humor entails is true...

Old out of context outtakes aren't really something to fire someone over just like James Gunn's old tweets... Funny how pissed off & vindictive Vic fans are acting more like the SJWs they blame. Finding old recordings of actors they hate by hacking into servers of a company & taking them out of context is completely scummy shit.

In any case, Disney did a private investigation & found James Gunn was safe to rehire, so FUNi will do the same. Funny how when you fight fire with fire, you get burned. Also how dangerous cancel culture can be when it's used on people who don't deserve it... [R]ather than wait for a verdict (which is what I'm Doing), they waste their energies really forcing shit along. It's pathetic.
This!! THIS!! SO MUCH THIS!!

This is what galls me so much, despite how understanding I usually try to be. This is not only reactionary, it's also completely hypocritical. #ISWV has done a complete about-face on everything they claimed to stand for, just to spite FUNimation. It...

-------------------------------------------
1) Actively hurts Vic. No sane company's gonna want to hire him, knowing what his "fans" are capable of

2) Is not comparable in any way to what he's being accused of.

3) Is a massive invasion of privacy (just like doxing is)

4) Has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or Vic is guilty!
-------------------------------------------

The whole thing's just... Absurd. I haven't been this upset about the whole thing in a while.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Reminder that Krillin called General Blue a "flaming homo" in Japanese DB. Toei isn't gonna do shit.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm
Bruh, have you actually watched South Park, especially in the last several years? Matt Stone & Trey Parker are FAR from Republicans. Season 20 was ALL ABOUT shitting on Trump. They think he's a big joke at best. The best part about South Park, though, is that they don't just take shots at one side of an argument. If they don't agree with the other side, they'll shit on THAT side too. Granted, Season 20 got too heavy-handed with its politics, but they're more of left-leaning centrists or libertarians than anything. Hell, they apologized for making fun of Al Gore & global warming years ago. What Republican would ever agree that climate change is a real thing? This ain't it, chief.
I actually watch South Park pretty frequently. I’m not saying it’s some alt-right mouthpiece. You’re right. They do poke fun at both sides. I’m simply saying that Parker and Stone have taken enough shots at liberals to make their work popular among conservatives, which is probably protecting them from being targeted by these Internet assholes.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:12 pm
I actually watch South Park pretty frequently. I’m not saying it’s some alt-right mouthpiece. You’re right. They do poke fun at both sides. I’m simply saying that Parker and Stone have taken enough shots at liberals to make their work popular among conservatives, which is probably protecting them from being targeted by these Internet assholes.
Too bad that that's not what you said originally, but ok. You're right. There IS a big Conservative following for that show. But, to say that because something has a big following amongst a group of people, doesn't mean that it's necessarily directly appealing to them & is really intellectually dishonest about the show, as I've already pointed out.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Krillin's outtake was the best, I wonder how long until somebody splices that audio over the appropriate scene. :lol:

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm

I mean, have you SEEN Family Guy in the last 10 years? They're not any better. In fact, they're worse now than they were years ago. Also, pretty sure they haven't phased out the gay jokes, considering they've had jokes towards the other parts of the LGBT community. They had Brian throw up for a good 30 seconds when he found out he slept with a trans woman, for crying out loud.
The “phasing out gay jokes” comment was very recent, like last year. The Brian throws up gag was years ago.

Granted, Family Guy’s gay joke were some of their most tame compared to their racist jokes, misogyny jokes (I swear one of the writers was a MGTOW based on some episodes), and anti-semitism jokes (the last one is somewhat mitigated by I believe a lot of the writers being Jewish apparently)
Also, while FUNi certainly doesn't try to joke about the LGBT community, some of their script writers are really not seeming to be ok with it themselves. Jamie Marchi wrote the scripts for the dub of Dragonmaid & completely straight-washed one of the main characters for no reason. Even so, VAs making jokes doesn't indicate they themselves think that way. You can find shock humor funny & not believe that what the shock humor entails is true, though that also depends on who's telling the jokes & how it's delivered, as with all comedy.
This. Exactly this. Sometimes jokes are jokes. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t hold things to scrutiny and look for nuance but some coworkers having some fun with some kids show they were working on doesn’t make they actually believe those things.
Bruh, have you actually watched South Park, especially in the last several years? Matt Stone & Trey Parker are FAR from Republicans. Season 20 was ALL ABOUT shitting on Trump. They think he's a big joke at best. The best part about South Park, though, is that they don't just take shots at one side of an argument. If they don't agree with the other side, they'll shit on THAT side too. Granted, Season 20 got too heavy-handed with its politics, but they're more of left-leaning centrists or libertarians than anything. Hell, they apologized for making fun of Al Gore & global warming years ago. What Republican would ever agree that climate change is a real thing? This ain't it, chief.
I think they lean more center-right but yeah their show isn’t for people who take extremes
on either side.
Considering some states require you register as SOMETHING or they won't let you vote (in my state, you can't even be an Independent, since they don't let those people vote for some reason), I'm not surprised they registered as that if they did.
True. I live in a state where you can’t vote outside your party in the primaries. And since I live in a Red state I’m registered as a Republican since there’s no point in voting in the Democratic primaries in my state.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13928
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15880
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
Yeah, but it was more like saying "fuck", not something you say in polite company, but not usually considered morally objectionable.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Since we’re talking about FUNimation and offensive words, their dub of Yu Yu Hakusho also had the at least three instances of the r-word being used. I don’t know if that’s considered as bad as the other f-word, but it’s certainly not something you’re likely to hear today. Then again, plenty of people still use that word online, including (I’d imagine) many of the ISWV people, so I guess it’s not considered to be on that level yet.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
Yeah, but it was more like saying "fuck", not something you say in polite company, but not usually considered morally objectionable.
Yep. It's only been within the last 10-15 years that that word's become as reviled as it is in normal conversation. I think people forget or just don't know how relatively new certain ideas &/or behaviors are. Hell, look at The Breakfast Club. One of the most beloved 80s teen comedies of all time, yet it uses that word because it was made WAY before it became as powerful of a slur that people currently treat it as today. Hell, I remember one of the 2005, I think, episodes of Doctor Who that had Rose use "fag" as the British slang term for "cigarette," as it's been for however long, but later on when Doctor Who started airing int he States a year or so later, they had Billie Piper & David Tennant say "cigarettes" instead most likely as a precaution since they knew it was a slur over here.
Hell, this is even constantly seen in early YouTube videos from a decade ago where people who used edgy humor would use words like it, only to phase them out over time for one reason or another.
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 pm
Since we’re talking about FUNimation and offensive words, their dub of Yu Yu Hakusho also had the at least three instances of the r-word being used. I don’t know if that’s considered as bad as the other f-word, but it’s certainly not something you’re likely to hear today. Then again, plenty of people still use that word online, including (I’d imagine) many of the ISWV people, so I guess it’s not considered to be on that level yet.
That word, I'd say, isn't nearly as powerful of a slur as "faggot/fag" & it DEFINITELY depends on the person. The fact that it's also still a synonym for "stupid" muddies the waters a bit. Years ago, the person who owns RangerBoard got mad at me for using it when I didn't know he took offense to it because a family member of his, I believe he said his brother, is mentally handicapped. Because I was a dumbfuck teenager, I didn't apologize for it & he banned me (IP & all). Yet I've seen other people not care when you use it. Like, I don't think most of the mods here are gonna be too mad about someone using it in a non-quoting context, but I could be wrong. All I know is that the mods here aren't as strict as there most of the time.
Point is, you're liable to elicit a more visceral reaction with the former rather than the latter depending on the person.
Last edited by Scsigs on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

Post Reply