Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 pm

ABED wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
Yeah, but it was more like saying "fuck", not something you say in polite company, but not usually considered morally objectionable.
Right. Like I said in an earlier post, I personally wouldn't have used that term, but something that I think has been lost with time in modern society is our appreciation for nuance, context, and the overall "vibe" that one gets hearing certain words. Who's saying the words? In what context? How are they delivering the words? These are all very relevant questions that need to be asked to really determine if something is offensive (or, for that matter, even intended to be offensive) or not. As George Carlin once said, "There is no such thing as a 'bad word,' it's the context that makes them good or bad."

I mean, when I was in middle school, I was called "fag" (a word that I'm spelling out only to avoid confusion with the phrase "the f-word," as that typically means "fuck") all the time when me and my friends played Halo...it had nothing to do with my sexuality, and everything to do with me being a lousy shot with the sniper rifle. Those same friends, even back then, would never, in a million years, either in public or private, actually use that term to refer to an actual homosexual person. The reason they wouldn't do that is because they knew that, in that context, it would be very mean-spirited and offensive, and that's just not the kind of people they were (or are today, for that matter).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1861
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
I don't mean the teachers. They give you trouble just for saying words like "stupid" and "jerk". What I mean is that back then all the "cool" guys said it, and like with any other word it didn't matter whether they got in trouble, they were still cool as far as their followers were concerned. Saying that word now would probably make the same type of person an immediate outcast.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:01 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm

I mean, have you SEEN Family Guy in the last 10 years? They're not any better. In fact, they're worse now than they were years ago. Also, pretty sure they haven't phased out the gay jokes, considering they've had jokes towards the other parts of the LGBT community. They had Brian throw up for a good 30 seconds when he found out he slept with a trans woman, for crying out loud.
The “phasing out gay jokes” comment was very recent, like last year. The Brian throws up gag was years ago.

Granted, Family Guy’s gay joke were some of their most tame compared to their racist jokes, misogyny jokes (I swear one of the writers was a MGTOW based on some episodes), and anti-semitism jokes (the last one is somewhat mitigated by I believe a lot of the writers being Jewish apparently)
In the case of the Jewish jokes in Family Guy, that stuff is pretty common in sitcoms where there are Jewish writers and actors involved. Aside from the writers, Lois, Chris and Meg are all voiced by Jewish actors, so there’s that. Plus, there was an early episode (pre-revival, but still) where Peter learned to not stereotype Jewish people.

As a whole, Family Guy isn’t really anymore offensive than South Park has been known to be. I think the only reason it used to attract more controversy is because it airs on Fox, which I guess meant that it was more “mainstream”.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 pm
ABED wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:36 pm
Words like "Faggot" was still not a good thing to say back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember kids that I knew got in trouble for using that word in Elementary school without knowing the full meaning of the world. I even had kids call me that word despite me not being gay because they thought it was another word for being an idiot.
Yeah, but it was more like saying "fuck", not something you say in polite company, but not usually considered morally objectionable.
Right. Like I said in an earlier post, I personally wouldn't have used that term, but something that I think has been lost with time in modern society is our appreciation for nuance, context, and the overall "vibe" that one gets hearing certain words. Who's saying the words? In what context? How are they delivering the words? These are all very relevant questions that need to be asked to really determine if something is offensive (or, for that matter, even intended to be offensive) or not. As George Carlin once said, "There is no such thing as a 'bad word,' it's the context that makes them good or bad."

I mean, when I was in middle school, I was called "fag" (a word that I'm spelling out only to avoid confusion with the phrase "the f-word," as that typically means "fuck") all the time when me and my friends played Halo...it had nothing to do with my sexuality, and everything to do with me being a lousy shot with the sniper rifle. Those same friends, even back then, would never, in a million years, either in public or private, actually use that term to refer to an actual homosexual person. The reason they wouldn't do that is because they knew that, in that context, it would be very mean-spirited and offensive, and that's just not the kind of people they were (or are today, for that matter).
I remember that South Park episode!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 pm
Since we’re talking about FUNimation and offensive words, their dub of Yu Yu Hakusho also had the at least three instances of the r-word being used. I don’t know if that’s considered as bad as the other f-word, but it’s certainly not something you’re likely to hear today. Then again, plenty of people still use that word online, including (I’d imagine) many of the ISWV people, so I guess it’s not considered to be on that level yet.
i've definitely seen more and more people take a bit of a stand against the r word, and i for sure see it used less and less. it's definitely not at the level of the f slur just because ableism is much more mainstream than homophobia, and because the f slur has a much more specific meaning the r word does.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 pm
I mean, when I was in middle school, I was called "fag" (a word that I'm spelling out only to avoid confusion with the phrase "the f-word," as that typically means "fuck")
you can always just say the f slur instead or just censor it.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12516
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Schemmel's a douche but if he wants to come out and claim he specifically asked his dad for a Fag Pass before recording that I'll look the other way. Still, being a cishet, he can't just go away throwing out queer slurs.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
John Pannozzi
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:32 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by John Pannozzi » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 pm

People working on (at least relatively) family-friendly cartoons, be they voice actors or artists, have done risque stuff as personal in-jokes since at least 1929. This kind of stuff is nothing new at all.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

A fan of the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie and the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3995
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 pm

For what it's worth, I always figured "faggot" was the full version of "fag", which is a slang term for a cigarette for some people. I never used it and just stick with the classics (shit and fuck, really).

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7730
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 pm

I wonder if they are going to apologize for making these jokes or if they are just going to be sorry, that it was made public, when it was always meant for private consumption?
Realistically there's going to be some pressure on them to apologize for the whole thing, but I can't stop thinking that this was something that was never intended to go public, so it seems kinda wrong to have to apologize for what they did in private amongst people in on the jokes.
I couldn't care less about what they do behind closed doors as long as they aren't hurting anyone and doing illegal stuff and I never expected them to be saints either, so I consider it more of a shame that they were hacked, than making these joke recordings in the first place.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8276
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Saiga » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 pm
For what it's worth, I always figured "faggot" was the full version of "fag", which is a slang term for a cigarette for some people. I never used it and just stick with the classics (shit and fuck, really).
"Fag" is short for faggot, at least when used as as a slur against homosexuals and effeminate men.

I don't know if the slang term for cigarettes is meant to come from the same root as the slur against homosexuals. It appears that it might not be, as the cigarette usage originates from the UK, whereas the slur originates from the US.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3995
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:49 pm

Saiga wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 pm
For what it's worth, I always figured "faggot" was the full version of "fag", which is a slang term for a cigarette for some people. I never used it and just stick with the classics (shit and fuck, really).
"Fag" is short for faggot, at least when used as as a slur against homosexuals and effeminate men.

I don't know if the slang term for cigarettes is meant to come from the same root as the slur against homosexuals. It appears that it might not be, as the cigarette usage originates from the UK, whereas the slur originates from the US.
Ah, thank you! I live in NZ which is part of the British Commenwealth, so the cigarette usage is the one I'm most familiar with. There's a similar contrast with the word crap: it's considered a PG version of shit in the US (and NZ for some reason), but in the UK it sits just under shit, and would have to be censored in a PG game like Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (that one took me by surprise when I finally played the US version!).

User avatar
Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am

Leave it to kanzenshuu to fabricate it’s own narrative.So many things to address , so little time.

First off, there hasn’t been a single shred of evidence against against Vic that hasn’t been proven false. Not a shred.

Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball. And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
Last edited by Kaiza_Toshiyuki on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6160
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:25 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Leave it to kanzenshuu to fabricate it’s own narrative.So many things to address , so little time.

First off, there hasn’t been a single shred of evidence against against Vic that hasn’t been proven false. Not a shred.

Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball. And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean.
Oh jeez. Say we're spreading a false narrative and then go full steam ahead into claiming Vic got fired for a jelly bean joke. Yikes.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 am

Violates FUNimation’s terms? FUNimation voice actors aren’t allowed to do audio outtakes that aren’t supposed to be heard by the public?

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6160
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:30 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 am
Violates FUNimation’s terms? FUNimation voice actors aren’t allowed to do audio outtakes that aren’t supposed to be heard by the public?
These guys don't really operate in facts, just some YouTube moron's interpretation that suits whatever nonsensical narrative they want to push.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3995
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:37 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
I like how this subject has been Ministry of Truth'd by retroactively applying an unknown-until-now jellybean joke as the reason Vic was let go and not years of sexual misconduct and an internal investigation within Funimation.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:49 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Leave it to kanzenshuu to fabricate it’s own narrative.So many things to address , so little time.

First off, there hasn’t been a single shred of evidence against against Vic that hasn’t been proven false. Not a shred.

Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball. And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
It’s sad that you believe this

User avatar
Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:37 am
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
I like how this subject has been Ministry of Truth'd by retroactively applying an unknown-until-now jellybean joke as the reason Vic was let go and not years of sexual misconduct and an internal investigation within Funimation.
And in that investigation, the only thing they found was the jelly bean incident. Coming from Funimation themselves, that was all. They found after their investigation.

And if hugging people is sexual misconduct, every Mall Santa is the same way.

There is no sexual misconduct, only a bunch of Funimation VA’s jealous because Vic was playing the main character in a big movie and was going to get a director job afterwards too.

If you believe other wise you are poorly educated in the topic or just plain ignorant.

I’d also guess you defend that Wife Beater Ron Toye?

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:37 am
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
I like how this subject has been Ministry of Truth'd by retroactively applying an unknown-until-now jellybean joke as the reason Vic was let go and not years of sexual misconduct and an internal investigation within Funimation.
And in that investigation, the only thing they found was the jelly bean incident. Coming from Funimation themselves, that was all. They found after their investigation.

And if hugging people is sexual misconduct, every Mall Santa is the same way.

There is no sexual misconduct, only a bunch of Funimation VA’s jealous because Vic was playing the main character in a big movie and was going to get a director job afterwards too.

If you believe other wise you are poorly educated in the topic or just plain ignorant.

I’d also guess you defend that Wife Beater Ron Toye?
Mate, there's a treasure trove of testimony in this motion to dismiss containing more than just a jellybean joke: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1grB0V9 ... PDBxj/view

Also, you're talking out your ass if you think this was about "jealousy". Anime voice actors get paid peanuts, it's common for cast-members to get assigned to direct, and many of the people involved were IN THE SAME MOVIE as Vic.

Lastly, you'll believe testimony against Ron Toye but not against Vic Migogna? I'd say that's funny considering Vic stans love to push the lie that testimony isn't real evidence. The only difference is the testimony against Toye was dismissed in court and came from one person, while Vic's hasn't been dismissed and comes from multiple sources.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:39 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:37 am
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
Second, the reason people are upset about this is because it violates Funimations terms with Toei on the dubbing licensing of Dragon Ball.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:24 am
And it also shows how hypocritical Funimation is because they fired Vic because of a Dad joke about a Jelly bean yet let Sean, Chris, and all these other voice actors go free for even worse humor.
I like how this subject has been Ministry of Truth'd by retroactively applying an unknown-until-now jellybean joke as the reason Vic was let go and not years of sexual misconduct and an internal investigation within Funimation.
And in that investigation, the only thing they found was the jelly bean incident. Coming from Funimation themselves, that was all. They found after their investigation.

And if hugging people is sexual misconduct, every Mall Santa is the same way.

There is no sexual misconduct, only a bunch of Funimation VA’s jealous because Vic was playing the main character in a big movie and was going to get a director job afterwards too.

If you believe other wise you are poorly educated in the topic or just plain ignorant.

Are you trolling? I hope to god this is some sort of satire that’s gone above my head.

Post Reply