Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 am Mate, there's a treasure trove of testimony in this motion to dismiss containing more than just a jellybean joke: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1grB0V9 ... PDBxj/view

Also, you're talking out your ass if you think this was about "jealousy". Anime voice actors get paid peanuts, it's common for cast-members to get assigned to direct, and many of the people involved were IN THE SAME MOVIE as Vic.

Lastly, you'll believe testimony against Ron Toye but not against Vic Migogna? I'd say that's funny considering Vic stans love to push the lie that testimony isn't real evidence. The only difference is the testimony against Toye was dismissed in court and came from one person, while Vic's hasn't been dismissed and comes from multiple sources.
Dude's 16 & most likely hasn't looked more into the situation passed that jelly bean story (which WAS stupid, but not the worst thing to be revealed with the lawsuit). He's picking & choosing what lets him dictate his opinion rather than absorbing as much info as possible to inform his opinion. His words WREAK of someone who hasn't actually looked into the situation whatsoever. He should really be getting his info from people other than YellowFlash2 & the like, since THEY pick & choose what they deem to be important as well & purposely mislead people on the situation. Some of the dumb shit that the other people a part of this situation don't help, but there's too much to ignore here.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:39 am

On the actual leaked voice clips, I honestly don’t see how people are coming to the conclusion that this is anywhere NEAR what Vic does. Some idiots really think that Toei is gonna get big mad at Funi and take away Dragon Ball from them because of a few stupid clips from 20 years ago.

Also like a lot of people have already mentioned, these type of humor and insults were sadly very common place back then. In fact, the words “gay” and “fag” were very commonly used by even kids as early as Elementary school even in 2007. I know because I went to school during that time. Around that time was when they started to air a lot commercials that told kids to not use “gay” as a substitute for the word stupid. Slowly but surely, the words have become taboo and now people are heavily criticized for using them as insults.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 am

MajinMan wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:39 am Around that time was when they started to air a lot commercials that told kids to not use “gay” as a substitute for the word stupid.
Interestingly enough back when I used that word it was a substitute for "soooo lame", as in uncool or not worth being interested in.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 am
MajinMan wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:39 am Around that time was when they started to air a lot commercials that told kids to not use “gay” as a substitute for the word stupid.
Interestingly enough back when I used that word it was a substitute for "soooo lame", as in uncool or not worth being interested in.
That’s how most people used the word.

I mean, lame itself used to refer to people who were crippled and unable to walk.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:41 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 am
That’s how most people used the word.

I mean, lame itself used to refer to people who were crippled and unable to walk.
It seems to be a re-occurring problem nowadays that a lot of people don't realize that language can and does evolve over a period of time even as short as 10-20 years. I was born in 89, so I did most of my growing up during the late 90's/early 2000's, and it's entirely correct that during that time, people in general threw around words like "gay" and "fag" like it was nothing. I don't think I ever used the latter, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't ever use "gay" improperly at least once in my life. "Retarded" too probably.

Doesn't make it right, but to pretend that that time period didn't happen is patently dishonest, especially when trying to spin a narrative that the voice actors saying them are anywhere near as bad as what Mignogna got up to.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:39 am

-double post, please delete this post since I can't figure out how-
Last edited by PhoenixEX on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
One World. 🌐 🕊

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am And in that investigation, the only thing they found was the jelly bean incident. Coming from Funimation themselves, that was all. They found after their investigation.

And if hugging people is sexual misconduct, every Mall Santa is the same way.

There is no sexual misconduct, only a bunch of Funimation VA’s jealous because Vic was playing the main character in a big movie and was going to get a director job afterwards too.

If you believe other wise you are poorly educated in the topic or just plain ignorant.

I’d also guess you defend that Wife Beater Ron Toye?
Is there any truth to this? What is your source?
One World. 🌐 🕊

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am

The idea that Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat would be jealous of Vic Migogna is fucking RICH. :lol: :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:42 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am And in that investigation, the only thing they found was the jelly bean incident. Coming from Funimation themselves, that was all. They found after their investigation.

And if hugging people is sexual misconduct, every Mall Santa is the same way.

There is no sexual misconduct, only a bunch of Funimation VA’s jealous because Vic was playing the main character in a big movie and was going to get a director job afterwards too.

If you believe other wise you are poorly educated in the topic or just plain ignorant.

I’d also guess you defend that Wife Beater Ron Toye?
Is there any truth to this? What is your source?
Probably the same guy who said Bill Cosby was buying NBC
Cold World (Fanfic)

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 am

Just listened to the tapes and I thought they were really funny. I’ve always wondered what the characters would sound like with some adult humor, not necessarily what was said in the tapes but what was in them was pretty hilarious.

Not sure why people are upset or offended by this. This was obviously done before the world became woke.

Thankfully in the country the voice actors live in they have something called free speech. Back when this was recorded you could have fun and say offensive things privately that didn’t effect or hurt anyone and it was fine. Especially when it was done in privacy with the intent that they remained private. But in 2019 where people want to be victims you have to censor your speech for an extremely tiny group of people that think they can gain power by pretending to be victims and offended by everything. The vast majority of people, the people who buy funimation products, have no problem with this and will continue to do business with them. Fake woke victims and virtue signalers will pretend to be outraged and demand firings.

Great stuff though!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 am

dbzj14 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 am Just listened to the tapes and I thought they were really funny. I’ve always wondered what the characters would sound like with some adult humor, not necessarily what was said in the tapes but what was in them was pretty hilarious.

Not sure why people are upset or offended by this. This was obviously done before the world became woke.

Thankfully in the country the voice actors live in they have something called free speech. Back when this was recorded you could have fun and say offensive things privately that didn’t effect or hurt anyone and it was fine. Especially when it was done in privacy with the intent that they remained private. But in 2019 where people want to be victims you have to censor your speech for an extremely tiny group of people that think they can gain power by pretending to be victims and offended by everything. The vast majority of people, the people who buy funimation products, have no problem with this and will continue to do business with them. Fake woke victims and virtue signalers will pretend to be outraged and demand firings.

Great stuff though!
The people most "offended" by this are those that are likely to share your rhetoric. They're just pretending to care in their Vic Mignogna crusade. Basically trying to do what PizzaGate guy did to James Gunn
Cold World (Fanfic)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:20 am

Freedom of speech is a political concept. You have the right to say what you want without fear of political reprisal. You aren't insulated from condemnation or criticism.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 am

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:20 am Freedom of speech is a political concept. You have the right to say what you want without fear of political reprisal. You aren't insulated from condemnation or criticism.
That is 100% correct but that’s not the point. These recordings were done in private, with the consent of all involved. If one of the voice actors was gay and Sean was saying what he said maliciously with the purpose of demeaning that actor then I would completely understand offense and outrage being taken.

The issue is that people are trying to censor what we can say by pretending to be “outraged” by things said 15-20 years ago that were meant to be private between consenting adults with the understanding that all involved weren’t taking offense. You can’t go back and re-judge all of humanities speech prior to 2019 woke victim outrage culture.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:43 am

Censorship is also a political concept. I get it, outrage culture has gotten obnoxious, and I think people are overblowing this, but those "jokes" were all in such poor taste. Saying things in private doesn't insulate you from criticism.

Not sure why you think your last sentence is true. We can judge it, but you have to keep in mind the context that it was 20 years ago and don't necessarily reflect the actions or ideas of the people now. The opening to Eddie Murphy's Delerious was undeniably homophobic, regardless of how homosexuality was viewed back then. However, if he doesn't hold those same views today, I wouldn't hold it against him for something he said when he was 22.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:16 am

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:43 am The opening to Eddie Murphy's Delerious was undeniably homophobic, regardless of how homosexuality was viewed back then. However, if he doesn't hold those same views today, I wouldn't hold it against him for something he said when he was 22.
Yes and I completely agree with that. I don’t think the voice actress of chi-chi actually supports incest or the rape of children. I don’t think Sean is homophobic or hates the lgbtq community. Which is why I am annoyed that I read news articles describing Sean as “hurling homophobic slurs”.

Was what they said in bad taste? Depends on who you ask. According to you, yes. According to other people, no. Context does matter. Which is why the fact that these recordings were done in private, with consenting adults, with the understanding that all involved weren’t taking offense, matters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 am

Being in private doesn't make the slurs any less slurs. In this case, privacy matters mostly because these recordings were obtained illegally and unethically.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:59 am

I just wanna say that the guy Vic hired to be his lawyer is pretty scummy. I don't know WHERE he got the idea that using Twitter the way he does is a good thing. He's not professional or respectful at all. Like, say what you want about Vic, but he's been pretty quiet, reserved, & respectful through this whole lawsuit & situation to everyone. Why did he think to hire that guy? Pretty scummy, honestly, that guy.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't want anyone fired. It's a bunch of dorks goofing off for their own in-jokes, whoopdeedo.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:59 am I just wanna say that the guy Vic hired to be his lawyer is pretty scummy. I don't know WHERE he got the idea that using Twitter the way he does is a good thing. He's not professional or respectful at all. Like, say what you want about Vic, but he's been pretty quiet, reserved, & respectful through this whole lawsuit & situation to everyone. Why did he think to hire that guy? Pretty scummy, honestly, that guy.
I was inclined to think that Vic Mignogna was being respectful by not publicly going after anyone, but considering that his legal team has been doing that for him, and he hasn’t done anything to call them out for it, I’m convinced that he’s just trying to maintain his image among his supporters.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:15 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 am Being in private doesn't make the slurs any less slurs. In this case, privacy matters mostly because these recordings were obtained illegally and unethically.
At the same time though, why were these recordings kept online all these years? Unless this was leaked by someone who savdd these recordings for a rainy day, I have to imagine FUNimation or someone affiliated with them carelessly left these files online and unknowingly allowed a third party access to them.