Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4161
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.
I was actually talking about casual fans when I mentioned "Most people": As far I'm concerned, casual fans only really watch the show. A bunch of voice actors from Vancouver were replaced with a bunch of nobodies from Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, many people still turned on their television sets to watch the newest Dragon Ball Z episodes even with the different voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16244
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.
I was actually talking about casual fans when I mentioned "Most people": As far I'm concerned, casual fans only really watch the show. A bunch of voice actors from Vancouver were replaced with a bunch of nobodies from Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, many people still turned on their television sets to watch the newest Dragon Ball Z episodes even with the different voices.
That's a bingo!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.
The whole Vic ordeal hasn’t really garnered much attention outside of niche anime sites and con going circles and people who already follow this sort of thing.

You’re not going find this story on any non-anime/geek specific site where as this been a scandal with an actual A or B list actor it totally would be all over.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.
I was actually talking about casual fans when I mentioned "Most people": As far I'm concerned, casual fans only really watch the show. A bunch of voice actors from Vancouver were replaced with a bunch of nobodies from Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, many people still turned on their television sets to watch the newest Dragon Ball Z episodes even with the different voices.
I mean, most of the people who watched DBZ on TV back then were kids & teens who watched Toonami & not adults. Usually kids & teens aren't that concerned with a voice actor switch as long as they can watch the show, though they most likely WOULD notice it. They're not gonna track down subbed Japanese episodes, at least most kids aren't, because kids wanna watch a show in their own spoken language. Even then, didn't the FUNi cast try really hard to imitate their predecessors so people wouldn't be confused & only changed their voices for already established characters over time? And even then, there was already a replacement of Goku's VA in the Ocean cast from Ian James Corlett to Peter Kelamis. Kids might not care or notice, but I think adults would, especially ones raised on the US cast, which IS the entirety of the late-Millennial/Gen Z part of the US fandom, btw.
Plus, social media is a thing. There is STILL a very powerful/loud & contentious vocal minority of fans who prefer Linda Young over Chris Ayres, Stephanie Nadolny over Colleen Clinkenbeard, & Tiffany Vollmer over Monica Rial & express it over social media (I can only get behind Nadolny, since Ayres is a VAST improvement over Young, whom I never cared for even as a kid in the role & Rial's a better actress, but not my ideal Bulma still). If word got out that Schemmel & Sabat were gonna be replaced, the vocal minority & EVEN MORE of the English side of the fandom would erupt in anger. Vic getting fired was one thing, but them is another entirely. It's not gonna happen, though. I've seen people say since earlier this year that Toei's gonna yank the license from them & everyone's gonna be replaced, but it hasn't happened yet & I doubt it ever will. Toei cares too much about money & consistency & FUNi employs the people that make it happen for them, so it's a longshot for that to happen.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm

And even if Funi were to lose the license, the recording is technically done at Okatron5000, so who's to say the new licensor wouldn't just outsource it to them?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3329
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:13 pm
My whole thing with these new FUNimation Casting couch leaks, true or not, the recent revelation that Stephanie Nadolny might (it's her speculation and she has a lot more inside info that I) have had been fired because an ex-boyfriend called FUNimation to talk about her private life and yet someone like Schemmel (who's not exactly the nicest person and overall not very professional) and Vic continued to get hired really does shows the ''inner circle'' she's talking about about. But I've canceled my 30th blu-ray set and refuse to support FUNimation. I understand there's a lot shady crap in all companies but in light of everything coming out, I cant support them anymore.

As far as the audio leaks, over all they're ''ehh??'' They're no worse than TFS in terms of crudeness with the exception of Schemmel's who's humor cant seem to get past that of a 13 year old boy.

https://youtu.be/b8Ry6ssUjAg
I mean, Sean Schemmel plays Goku. He's gonna keep being called back when new material for the franchise comes out. Why would you expect any different? He's also only really a dick on Twitter & sometimes at public conventions. When it comes to business, though he HAS shown himself to be kind of a bitch at points, I'm willing to bet it's a pretty amicable relationship between him & FUNi, otherwise they would've fired him a while ago. There's also consistency to think about. Yeah, Kai had recastings of the secondary & tertiary characters so Chris Sabat didn't have to voice them all, but when it comes to main characters, Schemmel IS Goku for the majority of the English-speaking world, even if you prefer the Ocean Gokus. Schemmel's the longest-serving VA for him, so to not have him come back is risking their brand.

As for Vic, he's mainly only been in secondary & tertiary roles for them. Outside of Edward Elric & Broly, he really hasn't had any other main role for them, though Sabo in One Piece WAS gonna be another recurring role, but he only voiced him in a movie & TV special & never got to the series, unless I'm mistaken. Luckily, FUNi's been only dubbing the TV specials, so they have a good amount of time to find a voice double. He really wasn't high on their list of actors like Schemmel is, so they had no problem dropping him like dead weight.
I mean, Ian Corlette got fired from Goku for fighting to get compensated for screams, granted that was Ocean and not FUNi. But at the end of the day, it's just favoritism at FUNimation. They did replace frieza wich was a fan favorite with the dub only fans, so I dont think goku would have been much of a too doo, there would probly be a huge outrage then people would forget

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:06 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:56 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:13 pm
My whole thing with these new FUNimation Casting couch leaks, true or not, the recent revelation that Stephanie Nadolny might (it's her speculation and she has a lot more inside info that I) have had been fired because an ex-boyfriend called FUNimation to talk about her private life and yet someone like Schemmel (who's not exactly the nicest person and overall not very professional) and Vic continued to get hired really does shows the ''inner circle'' she's talking about about. But I've canceled my 30th blu-ray set and refuse to support FUNimation. I understand there's a lot shady crap in all companies but in light of everything coming out, I cant support them anymore.

As far as the audio leaks, over all they're ''ehh??'' They're no worse than TFS in terms of crudeness with the exception of Schemmel's who's humor cant seem to get past that of a 13 year old boy.

https://youtu.be/b8Ry6ssUjAg
I mean, Sean Schemmel plays Goku. He's gonna keep being called back when new material for the franchise comes out. Why would you expect any different? He's also only really a dick on Twitter & sometimes at public conventions. When it comes to business, though he HAS shown himself to be kind of a bitch at points, I'm willing to bet it's a pretty amicable relationship between him & FUNi, otherwise they would've fired him a while ago. There's also consistency to think about. Yeah, Kai had recastings of the secondary & tertiary characters so Chris Sabat didn't have to voice them all, but when it comes to main characters, Schemmel IS Goku for the majority of the English-speaking world, even if you prefer the Ocean Gokus. Schemmel's the longest-serving VA for him, so to not have him come back is risking their brand.

As for Vic, he's mainly only been in secondary & tertiary roles for them. Outside of Edward Elric & Broly, he really hasn't had any other main role for them, though Sabo in One Piece WAS gonna be another recurring role, but he only voiced him in a movie & TV special & never got to the series, unless I'm mistaken. Luckily, FUNi's been only dubbing the TV specials, so they have a good amount of time to find a voice double. He really wasn't high on their list of actors like Schemmel is, so they had no problem dropping him like dead weight.
I mean, Ian Corlette got fired from Goku for fighting to get compensated for screams, granted that was Ocean and not FUNi. But at the end of the day, it's just favoritism at FUNimation. They did replace frieza wich was a fan favorite with the dub only fans, so I dont think goku would have been much of a too doo, there would probly be a huge outrage then people would forget
Freeza was replaced due to Linda Young's inability to keep up with the new lines. It was physically hurting her.

Also, in regards to Corlette, he only played Gokū for 1-2 years. Schemmel has been playing him for 20. There is much more fan attachment to his voice
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm
And even if Funi were to lose the license, the recording is technically done at Okatron5000, so who's to say the new licensor wouldn't just outsource it to them?
That's exactly what I said a week or 2 ago!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Sin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Most people don't really give a crap about the voice actors of a show
I think this entire ordeal has proven the exact opposite of this.
I was actually talking about casual fans when I mentioned "Most people": As far I'm concerned, casual fans only really watch the show. A bunch of voice actors from Vancouver were replaced with a bunch of nobodies from Texas, and as far as I'm concerned, many people still turned on their television sets to watch the newest Dragon Ball Z episodes even with the different voices.
God this is true. In the UK most people have themselves convinced they grew up with Schemmel and Sabat, when in reality we had the Ocean/Westwood cast for the majority of our exposure. I have to stop myself at UK conventions when I see someone asking Peter Kelamis sign the orange bricks or something.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:54 am

I don't think it's a coincidence FUNimation's YouTube channel hasn't uploaded any Super clips since the 28th of August. You can already notice the odd comments about sacred ointment in other videos ther uploaded, the latest Super clip was filled with such comments. Sabat has disappeared off social media as well. Whether Toei actually said anything or not, I do think FUNi is playing things safely with their online image the best they can.

User avatar
EXBadguy
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1645
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: NJ, 'MERICA

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 am

Well Funi barely uploads any Super content before the 28th anyway so I don't think so. Also Sabat barely uses his Twitter even before this "fiasco" and Toei still retweets Super content from the dub.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

User avatar
Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Location, Location
Contact:

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 am

It's telling that the very people who are blowing this out of proportion are the same people who would be crying "PC CULTURE RUINS EVERYTHING" if it wasn't tied to their god emperor, Vic Lasagna.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am

Cursed Lemon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 am
It's telling that the very people who are blowing this out of proportion are the same people who would be crying "PC CULTURE RUINS EVERYTHING" if it wasn't tied to their god emperor, Vic Lasagna.
Hashtag facts hashtag tea. Hashtag truth

Post Reply