Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 pm
It’s honestly incredibly tame. The worse of it being, arguably Schemmel saying the f word over and over but it feels less...hateful and more just dude being a douche bro for lolz.

I’m more offended by how lame it is than how “offensive” it is.
it's embarrassingly tryhard edgy lol, it's like those really bad fan parodies from 2007 youtube, where the whole "joke" was having family friendly cartoon characters say INAPPROPRIATE stuff. hell i'm sure "goku calls gohan gay" is probably a video on youtube.

it's just edgy cringe.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm

Fair points all around. I guess 'never meet your heroes' is a little bit too extreme for this situation. I mainly meant this in regards to Huber in particular, since again, he was one of my favorite voice actors at FUNi prior to this most recent wave of stuff.

I mean, I'll still be able to enjoy his work when I hear it (same with VIc's back catalogue), but now it won't be a full enjoyment where I'm not pulled out of the moment. It'll be a "Oh wow, that was a good read. Shame about who it's coming from though." kinda thing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:20 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm Fair points all around. I guess 'never meet your heroes' is a little bit too extreme for this situation. I mainly meant this in regards to Huber in particular, since again, he was one of my favorite voice actors at FUNi prior to this most recent wave of stuff.
Yeah... I truly am sorry about that. I also did always love his #17. Hopefully I didn't come off as too much of a "know-it-all" there? I've been known to skirt that territory, on occasion.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:27 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:20 pm Yeah... I truly am sorry about that. I also did always love his #17. Hopefully I didn't come off as too much of a "know-it-all" there? I've been known to skirt that territory, on occasion.
Nah, no worries. :thumbup: I think we're all just incredibly on edge about all of this, at least to a degree. I for one will be happy when it's all said and done.

Granted, I don't think it's ever going to go away 100%. I guarantee you every single time a role that was Vic's pops up in new material, be that a new show, a movie, a video game, whatever, someone's going to bring this entire mess back up again. It's part of anime dubbing (or at least FUNimation dubbing) history now.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:27 pm

I never really put any thoughts whatsoever when I watch someone's work knowing that they did some questionable things. I can still enjoy the work of Tomokazu Seki and Daisuke Namikawa, although I'm sure that Namikawa has apologized for cheating on his wife while Seki hasn't apologized for being inappropriate towards Kana Hanazawa IIRC.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:40 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:56 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:52 pm Honestly, none of that stuff sounds that BAAAAD...? I hear worse stuff come out of Nick Scarpino's mouth at Kinda Funny and nobody ever directs any outrage towards him.
They're Adult Swim clips, basically. Family Guy, Robot Chicken, South Park... it's all pretty standard adult humor, apart from maybe the Schemmel one.
excelhedge wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:54 pmI dislike Clinkenbeard's Goku and Gohan the sound so wrong.

Nadolny needs to return.
I totally get the sentiment, but... She has 9 different cases of DUI and Property Theft. The odds of her returning are... unlikely.

EDIT: But yeah, I liked her Kid Goku & Gohan better, too!
FINALLY! People who understand!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:34 am

I guess I'm little biased, but, bside Marchi, there wee a least few other people that knew about it, andthey were all pretty profesional, so if they said something, it would be resolved, yet no one did anything about it. And I'm biased, because recently, there was this huge scandal, that Jankowski, self-proclaimed priest of Solidarity, molested young children, i won't get too much into it, but again, most higher ups from Solidarity back then knew, even if they coudlnt say anything pre-1989, so that Solidarity reputation wouldn't tarnish, everyone been silent about it until few months ago, when serious leak about pedophilia in Polish Church started. That's why, if you knew about it, and weren't victim, yet decide to ignore it (even if Funmation higher ups coudlnt do anything about it, you could still speak up in pubilc) then you are as guilty.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:43 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:13 amIs this why people drink? I don't even drink but I feel like I need liquor.
Disregarding the usual partying fratbro types, there's two primary kinds of drinkers in this world: people who drink to bury their guilt/shame for their own wrongdoings and fuckups, and people who drink to drown out the asinine idiocy and sociopathy surrounding them.
Or people who aren't "fratbro types" but just want to be a bit looser in social situations.

Or people who like the taste of bourbon.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:50 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 pm Why does anyone think Toei will say anything about this one way or the other?
They seem to have this weird impression that Toei is like the Japanese equivalent of Disney. In other words, they think Toei has some sort of image as this squeaky clean family friendly company that tries to avoid being associated with controversy as much as possible. Granted, Toei mostly does seem to make things that are meant to be consumed by kids, but they’re also a Japanese company, meaning that they probably don’t care all that much for political correctness.
Not sure if it's sad or hilarious how stuff like this won't faze Toei but so much as a TFS cameo in Kai Final Chapters is enough to send them into damage control mode. Priorities.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:45 am

jelleline89 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:50 am Not sure if it's sad or hilarious how stuff like this won't faze Toei but so much as a TFS cameo in Kai Final Chapters is enough to send them into damage control mode. Priorities.
But this isn't anything. It's employees blowing off steam. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding damage control and TFS cameos.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:22 am

This whole situation is nothing more than a distraction and has already become quite boring.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am

I'm gay as hell and none of this bothers me due to how old it is. Just was part of the times.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am

Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am I'm gay as hell and none of this bothers me due to how old it is. Just was part of the times.
It's fine to let things go because it was forever ago but "just part of the times" is inexcusable. It was always wrong.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:22 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am
Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am I'm gay as hell and none of this bothers me due to how old it is. Just was part of the times.
It's fine to let things go because it was forever ago but "just part of the times" is inexcusable. It was always wrong.
I'm aware.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why this situation blew up the way it has. Wow, voice actors fuck around in the booth, who would've guessed? The only one of these clips that's actually questionable is Sean's, but everything else is pretty standard stuff. Nobody ever freaked out about the Berserk outtakes like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTqSsh75Yr4
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Listened to these "infamous" leaks.

Who even cares? This is the kinda stuff people joke about to blow off steam between sessions. This was something never meant to ever be released. They don't profit from this, nor are they trying to market it. It's someone that decided to leak people joking with each other.

I don't care about this. (The "Guru" part is the only one that disturbed me, because it was darkly funny.)
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:05 pm

TKA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm Listened to these "infamous" leaks.

Who even cares? This is the kinda stuff people joke about to blow off steam between sessions. This was something never meant to ever be released. They don't profit from this, nor are they trying to market it. It's someone that decided to leak people joking with each other.

I don't care about this. (The "Guru" part is the only one that disturbed me, because it was darkly funny.)
You're right. Animation studios have done outtakes like this for years. A great example is the Porky Pig clip floating around YouTube where he said, "Son of a B*tch." In contrast that sounds rather tame, but it was recorded during the days of the Hayes code. That was a time where even seeing a cow being milked was considered obscene.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:07 pm

TKA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm Listened to these "infamous" leaks.

To wit, there've always been things like this floating around the internet and which became well known memes as far back as the late 90s.

This whole "bombshell" is a transparently obvious attempt at "retribution" for the whole Vic thing by trolls of the "Redpill" persuasion. One that reeks of complete disingenuousness on their end, because we all know damn well that if people whom they deemed as "SJWs" were freaking out about this outtake reel originally, then they'd be first out the gate shrieking endlessly over "free speech" this and "PC culture" that.

Its a total non-controversy controversy that literally no one on the face of the Earth would give an inkling of two shits about were it not for the current reactionary climate we're in. This shit's straight out of Mike Cernovich's playbook where they're trying to forcibly contrive and manufacture a "gotcha!" moment from nothing in order to expose a "hypocrisy" that isn't actually there, and its long been a beyond tiresome tactic.

And this is coming from someone by the way who has far less than zero love for a single one of any of the FUNimation VAs and wouldn't shed a single solitary tear if they are actually WERE permanently and forever shitcanned from these roles tomorrow. That being said though, if it were up to me and I had the ability to just magically make that happen (over the protests of a depressing amount of the Western DB fanbase), then it'd purely be because they're - for the most part - largely shitty, talent-free, godawful voice actors, and certainly not on account of anything to do with this nonsense.

Schemmel's "f-bomb" bit is the only one of any of these that elicits a bit of an "Uh... ok man, is there something going on that you maybe wanna talk to a therapist about?" kinda reaction. But otherwise, this shit's 100% boilerplate "actors fucking around between takes" which has ALWAYS been completely and utterly normal, par for the course, and non-controversial since forever and ever ago.

The fact that someone actually went to the trouble of apparently hacking into FUNimation's archives in order to obtain these is also beyond creepy and pathetic in itself. But then of course, "creepy and pathetic" is also very much the default setting for this current spate of reactionary online trolls.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Guntank

Post by Guntank » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 pm

What about These leaks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2urcZg2FX8
where is the outrage?
Totally ruined Fairy Tale, my characters would never say that! someone get me A-1 Pictures!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

The so called " leaks " were a bit more tamer than anything TFS has said in their parodies.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:07 pm This whole "bombshell" is a transparently obvious attempt at "retribution" for the whole Vic thing by trolls of the "Redpill" persuasion. One that reeks of complete disingenuousness on their end, because we all know damn well that if people whom they deemed as "SJWs" were freaking out about this outtake reel originally, then they'd be first out the gate shrieking endlessly over "free speech" this and "PC culture" that.

Its a total non-controversy controversy that literally no one on the face of the Earth would give an inkling of two shits about were it not for the current reactionary climate we're in.
The funny thing is? That WAS the prevailing reaction, when I browsed through the trending tweets on the day those were dropped. I saw folks complaining about "cancel culture" and all that. I saw folks saying "who cares", "why's everyone complaining, this is hilarious", and "dude, it's just some guys yucking it up".

Obviously, there was a sizable chunk of folks trying to use "Angry SJW" tactics (for lack of a better word), too... But there was a very clear difference between how the Vic Stans were acting, and how the more casual fans were acting (the ones who weren't following the drama at all).

The whole day was stunning to me, in multiple ways. Stunning for its hypocrisy, stunning for how desperate it was, and stunning for the sheer irony of it all. The fact that they resorted to the very same tactics they accuse of us, and got criticized with the very same words they themselves have been using.

It was... I don't even know how to describe how I felt.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".