Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm God, it’s a really good thing that South Park has a lot of conservative fans, and that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are Republicans. If these ISWV people held them to the same standard they’ve been holding people like James Gunn and some FUNimation voice actors, then South Park would be in a lot of trouble right now.
They're both libertarians, but point taken.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lati

Post by Lati » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

So, I usually just lurk around instead of actually making a post about these sorts of things, but I think I'll give my 2 cents because i'm somewhere in the middle. At the end of the day, these people are humans, and I think we should look at this as an isolated case rather than in context to other things the company has done, as I feel that won't really get us anywhere if we just bicker over the same topics again.

On the one hand, people make dark jokes all the time. Again, we're humans and we have always made a crude joke from time to time. People naturally do these things, whether we want to admit it or not. It's easy for us to get shocked by it, I certainly was when I first heard some of the leaks, but it's not like it's a groundbreaking revelation. Nor do I necessarily think that these VAs are trying to go out and burn the gays, because obviously they aren't, atleast to my knowledge. And really, we shouldn't act like we know the exact intent anyway these are leaks, not something that was meant to be shown to the public in any fashion.

Where my ire comes in, on the other hand, is that they thought it was a good idea to 1. record it to a pretty large extent, considering the number of leaks and 2. then proceed to save it somewhere. It's kind of like "Well, what did you EXPECT to happen?" It's easy to write it off as "Well, it was a different era.". Yeah, but I don't think these things were okay to say REGARDLESS of when they were recorded. And whether it be an inside joke or just "haha funneez" on their part, it was pretty poor judgement. Especially considering the fact that these people are professionals. These VAs have literal thousands of people that look up to them, and regardless of how you feel about this, I think we can agree that maybe a little more tact should be in place, considering their positions. And it just feels like there were a bit too many involved in this that would simply go "Yeah, this is fine and won't get us in trouble." So on that, I feel iffy.

tl;dr: As easy as it would be for us to go "FUNIMATION REEEEE" or "ZOMG, FUNI WOULD NEVER DO THAT.", I think there's a bit more to this that we should consider, and that while this was a blunder, they didn't exactly break a new low here.
"Your hair looks like lavender but smells like strawberries."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm God, it’s a really good thing that South Park has a lot of conservative fans, and that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are Republicans. If these ISWV people held them to the same standard they’ve been holding people like James Gunn and some FUNimation voice actors, then South Park would be in a lot of trouble right now.
They're both libertarians.
They’ve said that they’re Republicans, and that they dislike liberals more than conservatives. Sure, South Park takes turns poking fun at both sides, and they have made fun of Donald Trump, but they also had an entire season that was dedicated to poking fun at PC culture, and they poke fun at liberal politicians and celebrities all the time.

For the record, I’m not bashing South Park, but if it hadn’t been for Parker and Stone regularly making fun of liberals, there’d probably be a movement from people like Mike Cernovich and Ian Miles Cheong to get them fired.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Lati wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm So, I usually just lurk around instead of actually making a post about these sorts of things, but I think I'll give my 2 cents because i'm somewhere in the middle. At the end of the day, these people are humans, and I think we should look at this as an isolated case rather than in context to other things the company has done, as I feel that won't really get us anywhere if we just bicker over the same topics again.

On the one hand, people make dark jokes all the time. Again, we're humans and we have always made a crude joke from time to time. People naturally do these things, whether we want to admit it or not. It's easy for us to get shocked by it, I certainly was when I first heard some of the leaks, but it's not like it's a groundbreaking revelation. Nor do I necessarily think that these VAs are trying to go out and burn the gays, because obviously they aren't, atleast to my knowledge. And really, we shouldn't act like we know the exact intent anyway these are leaks, not something that was meant to be shown to the public in any fashion.

Where my ire comes in, on the other hand, is that they thought it was a good idea to 1. record it to a pretty large extent, considering the number of leaks and 2. then proceed to save it somewhere. It's kind of like "Well, what did you EXPECT to happen?" It's easy to write it off as "Well, it was a different era.". Yeah, but I don't think these things were okay to say REGARDLESS of when they were recorded. And whether it be an inside joke or just "haha funneez" on their part, it was pretty poor judgement. Especially considering the fact that these people are professionals. These VAs have literal thousands of people that look up to them, and regardless of how you feel about this, I think we can agree that maybe a little more tact should be in place, considering their positions. And it just feels like there were a bit too many involved in this that would simply go "Yeah, this is fine and won't get us in trouble." So on that, I feel iffy.

tl;dr: As easy as it would be for us to go "FUNIMATION REEEEE" or "ZOMG, FUNI WOULD NEVER DO THAT.", I think there's a bit more to this that we should consider, and that while this was a blunder, they didn't exactly break a new low here.
In fairness, these leaks are from the late 90s/early 2000s. The climate at the time was significantly different from how it is today. These kinds of jokes were much less out of the ordinary back then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't recall that. I've heard them say they're libertarians. They poke fun at people they think deserve to be mocked, regardless of political affiliation. Though I do think they get away with a lot more because South Park is an institution at this point. I don't know if the series would've gotten on air today.

Back to DB...
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm

I wonder if this is end of it, or we'll be getting more revelations. The dub voice actors' reputation is getting tarnished and it split the fandom even more than it already was in this regard.

These things won't be forgotten that easily. Schemmel or Sabat should take some action or announcement, not stay quiet.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm I wonder if this is end of it, or we'll be getting more revelations. The dub voice actors' reputation is getting tarnished and it split the fandom even more than it already was in this regard.

These things won't be forgotten that easily. Schemmel or Sabat should take some action or announcement, not stay quiet.

Over some outtakes? I doubt it. On other issues though.....
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm

They're really making a big deal about this? Ace Attorney also had a lot of outtakes like this. Real mature of them to compare rape attempts to bro jokes. Also, I'll bet you the neckbeards defending Vic make these kinds of jokes all the time on 4chan or wherever the hell they post these days.

That being said, prepare for the fan animations... :shock:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm They're really making a big deal about this?
Well that attorney started it. These audio clips were apparentaly his ultimate weapon :lol:
I wonder how they got access to these clips. If Funimation's servers got hacked, can't they sue?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm
Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm They're really making a big deal about this?
Well that attorney started it. These audio clips were apparentaly his ultimate weapon :lol:
I wonder how they got access to these clips. If Funimation's servers got hacked, can't they sue?
Either the servers got hacked, or someone at FUNimation deliberately leaked these outtakes. In either case, someone should be in serious trouble over this.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm
Furio Tigre is a better defense than this guy. :wink:

And while I don't condone the hacking they did, am I alone in finding these audio clips fucking hilarious? Somebody should match the first few up with their footage. :P

What in the name of Kami was that last one, though? :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:31 am I'm just as equally shocked that there are people here defending this trash.
This is the only thing I really want to address:

It's not so much that people are necessarily "defending" said trash outright (I'm seeing folks here pretty consistently condemning the actual words and content).

It's that no-one here in particular is falling for the obvious and transparent distraction of stuff that's of no real surprise (and quite frankly, I think it's bonkers that as many people feel like they even need to post as has been done thus far). It's possible to condemn two separate things for separate reasons but place importance/priority on one over the other. Crazy, I know.

And not that it has anything to do with your post, but I'd just like to head off the lurkers with a big ol' hearty laugh if any of y'all are thinking that the mythical Kanzenshuu community hivemind or (especially) admin staff would ever be rushing to the defense of certain actors in those clips.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm

I listened to these so-called ‘BIG LEAKS’ and I just found the whole thing extremely cringy (so cringy it hurt). The only one that may be in hot water is Sean Schemmel, but even then I don’t see that really going anywhere.

But hey great job Vic and your Ace Attorney team for trying to burn an entire company down and put hundreds out of work because you’re doing a terrible job with your ongoing case and your fee-fees are hurt over it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:33 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 pm
They're both libertarians, but point taken.
Their politics are libertarian and the show obviously reflects this as well as several of their quotes. But I believe one or both is registered as a Republican.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm I listened to these so-called ‘BIG LEAKS’ and I just found the whole thing extremely cringy (so cringy it hurt). The only one that may be in hot water is Sean Schemmel, but even then I don’t see that really going anywhere.

But hey great job Vic and your Ace Attorney team for trying to burn an entire company down and put hundreds out of work because you’re doing a terrible job with your ongoing case and your fee-fees are hurt over it.
Do we know for sure that they’re doing badly with their case? I’d like to think this whole thing is simply a move of desperation, but I don’t have much faith in the Texas judicial system.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Mosaic wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:48 pm This doesn't surprise me for a number of reasons.

1. This type of humor is unfortunately kind of common with voice actors. There's a certain voice actor who tours around showing dub outtakes, and they're almost entirely homophobic jokes. No, the word "faggot" is never used, but there's a lot of juvenile humor that attacks gay men.

2. Sean is a tool. He's always been an obnoxious dude. I'm sure he's said much worse.
Sure, he might be a tool but that doesn't make what he said right. You saying that maybe he's said much worse sounds to me like you're trying to lighten the seriousness of him having used a word like "faggot". Also, whether or not there's a lot of juvenile humor that attacks gay men does not make it okay for him to have used that word. I'm specifically referring to what Sean said, not what others are or aren't doing. Sean should apologize whether he used that word yesterday or 30 years ago, it's really that simple. Everyone else that gets called out for something they said or tweeted years ago usually apologizes for their past actions, and again, Sean is no exception.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm Sure, he might be a tool but that doesn't make what he said right. You saying that maybe he's said much worse sounds to me like you're trying to lighten the seriousness of him having used a word like "faggot". Also, whether or not there's a lot of juvenile humor that attacks gay men does not make it okay for him to have used that word. I'm specifically referring to what Sean said, not what others are or aren't doing. Sean should apologize whether he used that word yesterday or 30 years ago, it's really that simple. Everyone else that gets called out for something they said or tweeted years ago usually apologizes for their past actions, and again, Sean is no exception.
I wasn't justifying his actions. I was merely saying I'm not surprised he would throw that word around. It's also not surprisingly he would much such problematic jokes, given the time period. All I'm saying is that I'm not surprised. Not that it's okay. Not that he isn't wrong.

Also feel weird about users, who are most likely straight, are throwing the word faggot around without censoring it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm
Mosaic wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:48 pm This doesn't surprise me for a number of reasons.

1. This type of humor is unfortunately kind of common with voice actors. There's a certain voice actor who tours around showing dub outtakes, and they're almost entirely homophobic jokes. No, the word "faggot" is never used, but there's a lot of juvenile humor that attacks gay men.

2. Sean is a tool. He's always been an obnoxious dude. I'm sure he's said much worse.
Everyone else that gets called out for something they said or tweeted years ago usually apologizes for their past actions, and again, Sean is no exception.
Tell that to Nick Rekieta, or the PizzaGate guys, or Kid Rock...
Last edited by WittyUsername on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Mosaic wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm Sure, he might be a tool but that doesn't make what he said right. You saying that maybe he's said much worse sounds to me like you're trying to lighten the seriousness of him having used a word like "faggot". Also, whether or not there's a lot of juvenile humor that attacks gay men does not make it okay for him to have used that word. I'm specifically referring to what Sean said, not what others are or aren't doing. Sean should apologize whether he used that word yesterday or 30 years ago, it's really that simple. Everyone else that gets called out for something they said or tweeted years ago usually apologizes for their past actions, and again, Sean is no exception.
I wasn't justifying his actions. I was merely saying I'm not surprised he would throw that word around. It's also not surprisingly he would much such problematic jokes, given the time period. All I'm saying is that I'm not surprised. Not that it's okay. Not that he isn't wrong.

Also feel weird about users, who are most likely straight, are throwing the word faggot around without censoring it.
Alright, well as long as we both agree that he is wrong then there's nothing more to talk about.
And yes, it is a bit weird for users who are straight to be throwing that word around without censoring it.

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Everyone else that gets called out for something they said or tweeted years ago usually apologizes for their past actions, and again, Sean is no exception.
Tell that to Nick Rekieta, or the PizzaGate guys, or Kid Rock...
What do you mean by the PizzaGate guys?
One World. 🌐 🕊

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:22 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm What do you mean by the PizzaGate guys?
I’m assuming you’re familiar with PizzaGate?

Anyway, basically, the PizzaGate movement was being led by people like Mike Cernovich. Mike Cernovich has had a history of making pro-rape comments, along with some homophobic and transphobic remarks. He also was once arrested for rape, and had to plead it down to battery after hiring a private investigator to harass a witness. He also once wrote a blog post where he bragged about a time that he masterbated in front of a woman in her car without her consent because she refused to have sex with him. Finally, the PizzaGate conspiracy that he helped spread nearly got the owner of a pizza parlor killed by a crazed gunman. Despite all this, he has never apologized for a single thing he’s done or said, and yet he continues to try and smear people who disagree with him, often by digging up past tweets of theirs.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there are many people who have said shitty things who never apologized for them, and many of them are the same people who are pretending to be outraged at Schemmel’s immature jokes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Schemmel’s jokes are okay, but the ISWV people don’t care about that. They just want to smear anyone who they perceive as an enemy to their favorite voice actor.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.