I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Re: I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 am
dprez wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am . It does make what they did to Vic kind of sickening, as he was a great Broly and couldn't have been any less of a turd behind the scenes than these guys clearly are.

JFC. Are you fucking kidding me?

You do know actual sexual harassment is way worse than some juvenile off-color low brow humor? Like, this shouldn’t even a difficult concept to grasp
Calm down please. Even though we may feel like we're in the right there's no need to start cursing. The guy has his opinion and, as long as he's not hurting anyone, we should just let him be. A lot of these people have already made up their minds and I doubt any of us will be able to change his views with a post. This, to me, is similar to the gun debate where it's obvious that guns are the problem, but I try and keep my composure when arguing with pro-gun, pro-Trump lovers.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:52 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 am
dprez wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am . It does make what they did to Vic kind of sickening, as he was a great Broly and couldn't have been any less of a turd behind the scenes than these guys clearly are.

You do know actual sexual harassment is way worse than some juvenile off-color low brow humor? Like, this shouldn’t even a difficult concept to grasp
Calm down please. Even though we may feel like we're in the right there's no need to start cursing. The guy has his opinion and, as long as he's not hurting anyone, we should just let him be. A lot of these people have already made up their minds and I doubt any of us will be able to change his views with a post. This, to me, is similar to the gun debate where it's obvious that guns are the problem, but I try and keep my composure when arguing with pro-gun, pro-Trump lovers.
There is no point in coddling people who have no real grasp of the issue (either the Mignogna situation or the US and its guns for these purposes).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 am

Brodes wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:52 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 am

There is no point in coddling people who have no real grasp of the issue (either the Mignogna situation or the US and its guns for these purposes).
I mean at this point it’s just plain ignorance defending Mignogna or acting like he’s the victim for getting fired for being a creepy asshole. And I have no patience for it.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:09 am

Lol to fire this guy for jelly bean joke to this leaked audio is very hypocritical, it doesn't really matter how long ago it was. I do understand that these are jokes and been going on for ages in the industry but come on people do you really think this is right? I dont think so but I can't help but to say everytime I'll got back to the show I will think of this, do you guys wanna think's of this awful things? This is madness and for the fact that Chris to have edited is clips is insane.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:13 am

Something like this wouldn't taint my enjoyment of the dub. You have to do way worse than off color jokes. Things like murder, physical abuse, befriending a dictator are actions that make unable to watch.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 am

SupremeSSJ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:09 am Lol to fire this guy for jelly bean joke to this leaked audio is very hypocritical, it doesn't really matter how long ago it was. I do understand that these are jokes and been going on for ages in the industry but come on people do you really think this is right? I dont think so but I can't help but to say everytime I'll got back to the show I will think of this, do you guys wanna think's of this awful things? This is madness and for the fact that Chris to have edited is clips is insane.
Is there like a cesspool all these idiots are crawling out of it?

Yes, Mignogna was fired for a jelly bean joke...

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 am

That's you but to me is ridiculous childish and unprofessional, on top of that to get someone fired for the same thing they did hypocrites. Just a mess I've seen both sides and I can tell you 1 person has a legitimate case.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:18 am

SupremeSSJ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 am That's you but to me is ridiculous childish and unprofessional, on top of that to get someone fired for the same thing they did hypocrites. Just a mess I've seen both sides and I can tell you 1 person has a legitimate case.
No being fired for sexual harassment, of which there was MULTIPLE testimonies from dozens of women for YEARS is what got him fired.

I know probably never having a job in your life may make this difficult but sexual misconduct in the work place is usually frowned upon.

And no some off-colored jokes in private is not remotely the equivalent of sexual comments directed at actual human being and unwanted advances. To equate the two is being stupid and ignorant as hell.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 am

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:13 am Something like this wouldn't taint my enjoyment of the dub. You have to do way worse than off color jokes. Things like murder, physical abuse, befriending a dictator are actions that make unable to watch.
I mean by all accounts Alfred Hitchcock was a goddamn creep towards women, I still enjoy Psycho.

There’s definitely levels to it. I could never enjoy or watch Jeepers Creepers knowing what the director did but even divorced from that context I just don’t think that series is any good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 am
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:13 am Something like this wouldn't taint my enjoyment of the dub. You have to do way worse than off color jokes. Things like murder, physical abuse, befriending a dictator are actions that make unable to watch.
I mean by all accounts Alfred Hitchcock was a goddamn creep towards women, I still enjoy Psycho.

There’s definitely levels to it. I could never enjoy or watch Jeepers Creepers knowing what the director did but even divorced from that context I just don’t think that series is any good.
I can't watch anything with Sean Penn. I haven't watched a Chris Benoit match since 2007. While I have watched a few Mel Gibson movies since the string of issues he had, I don't enjoy them as much. It's a shame as I love Lethal Weapon.

It also depends on how much the actor is in a film or TV show. I can still watch Ferris Beuler's Day Off despite knowing what Jeffrey Jones, the actor who played Principal Rooney, did. He's not one of the main characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 am

I dislike the dub cast because of how they are changing Super to be funnier and inserting throwbacks to the old Toonami days. They proved that they could do an honest, near literal translation of the original Japanese dialogue when they dubbed Kai. But with Super? They're doing fuck all and just having fun rather than making a faithful dub. From meme lines (Goku: "WUUUUUUUUUT?") to pop culture references (Beerus: "It's in ma belly!") and throwbacks to the old Z dub (Mashirito's Ghost: "HFIL"), the dub is not faithful to the original Japanese version. I've long since gotten used to the Japanese cast so I prefer to watch any and all Dragon Ball content with the original cast, not Funimation. For the record, I've seen OG DB dubbed, Z subbed and dubbed, Kai subbed and dubbed, and Super subbed. I saw GT but forget what I saw it in and prefer to not remember it.

I think what OP says about them is true too. They're all stupid people who will go and insult fans on Twitter for anything/everything*, but my main gripe is how they do dubbing.

EDIT: I see that MasenkoHa is watching this thread closely and arguing with anyone he/she disagrees with. Please note I'm only talking about the accuracy of dub dialogue and not getting involved with any Vic stuff here. I'm not bothering to respond if you do try starting something with me.

Note: I'm not talking about any specific recent incidents, although those can apply too, but instances where Sean, for example, has insulted people on Twitter for various things that piss him off. Or the time he came on here and attacked someone who criticized his singing for "Dragon Soul."

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 am

Watching sub hurt a lot of my enjoyment for Super so I'm glad I was patient for the Broly movie cause holy cow was that amazing. I require dub to enjoy this series to it's fullest extent. There will always be a piece missing when Schemmel and Sabat aren't present for me.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Okay, so I'm just going to not talk about the Vic thing, but more to the "bloopers." I don't care. I didn't find any of it funny any more than them saying "poopy, kaka," and blowing raspberries into a microphone.

And I'm not at all surprised at any of it. I mean, has anyone ever heard their interviews? Aside from the new cast members who actually look like they take it seriously (Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair come to mind), I don't think I've ever heard a sincere interview that felt professional out of the dub cast. Every interview seems to be goofy or tells some idiotic story of, "Har har I ordered a pizza in this character's voice!"

Even their sit-down interviews for things like extra features on the Kai or Super releases, the cast is usually goofy. Look, that's fine, but it comes off looking like they don't even respect the series they're working on. I've seen them mock the intro themes, I've seen them mock the characters they play, and I've seen them embarrassingly butcher the story that they're a part of. I know they might not be super hardcore fans like any of us, but if you don't know the basic story, don't embarrass yourself by talking about it.

And I understand that Dragon Ball has a lot of comedy in it and it's great that the cast is all goofy and gets along with each other (for the most part), but when you've made an entire career off of the legacy of this franchise, it's a little offputting to see such an apparent disrespect for it.

Yeah, I've seen Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat thank the fans for essentially fueling Dragon Ball and giving them a career, but I've seen a lot more stupid shit. I feel that I shouldn't even bother listening to their interviews because all it's going to do, is basically mock the series.

So, with that said, I'm not shocked nor surprised at the level of immaturity that got "leaked." I'm also not saying that they might not have changed since then. But I will say: who cares? Is the Funimation dub cast really a respectable bunch that represents Dragon Ball? Going to conventions looking like they rolled out of bed and telling jokes about how dumb their characters are, has taken away any authoritative say that they have in the series for me.

So, I'll still watch the dub, but I will try not to think of just how little of a shit they seem to care about making it. Ironically, Team Four Star looks like it respects the series more than Funimation ever did. That's kind of sad.

Oh, and nothing against them personally; I'm sure they're wonderful people, but I just don't care what they say or do outside of voicing the characters.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm Okay, so I'm just going to not talk about the Vic thing, but more to the "bloopers." I don't care. I didn't find any of it funny any more than them saying "poopy, kaka," and blowing raspberries into a microphone.

And I'm not at all surprised at any of it. I mean, has anyone ever heard their interviews? Aside from the new cast members who actually look like they take it seriously (Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair come to mind), I don't think I've ever heard a sincere interview that felt professional out of the dub cast. Every interview seems to be goofy or tells some idiotic story of, "Har har I ordered a pizza in this character's voice!"

Even their sit-down interviews for things like extra features on the Kai or Super releases, the cast is usually goofy. Look, that's fine, but it comes off looking like they don't even respect the series they're working on. I've seen them mock the intro themes, I've seen them mock the characters they play, and I've seen them embarrassingly butcher the story that they're a part of. I know they might not be super hardcore fans like any of us, but if you don't know the basic story, don't embarrass yourself by talking about it.

And I understand that Dragon Ball has a lot of comedy in it and it's great that the cast is all goofy and gets along with each other (for the most part), but when you've made an entire career off of the legacy of this franchise, it's a little offputting to see such an apparent disrespect for it.

Yeah, I've seen Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat thank the fans for essentially fueling Dragon Ball and giving them a career, but I've seen a lot more stupid shit. I feel that I shouldn't even bother listening to their interviews because all it's going to do, is basically mock the series.

So, with that said, I'm not shocked nor surprised at the level of immaturity that got "leaked." I'm also not saying that they might not have changed since then. But I will say: who cares? Is the Funimation dub cast really a respectable bunch that represents Dragon Ball? Going to conventions looking like they rolled out of bed and telling jokes about how dumb their characters are, has taken away any authoritative say that they have in the series for me.

So, I'll still watch the dub, but I will try not to think of just how little of a shit they seem to care about making it. Ironically, Team Four Star looks like it respects the series more than Funimation ever did. That's kind of sad.

Oh, and nothing against them personally; I'm sure they're wonderful people, but I just don't care what they say or do outside of voicing the characters.
I’m a little confused by what you’re saying. If cracking jokes and making fun of their characters is an indication that they don’t respect the series, then how does Team Four Star come across as anymore respectful?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Greatness, I find your logic specious at best. I've seen plenty of interviews and they clearly like the series and respect it but can keep it all in perspective, as in, it's a goofy fighting cartoon aimed at children.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm Greatness, I find your logic specious at best. I've seen plenty of interviews and they clearly like the series and respect it but can keep it all in perspective, as in, it's a goofy fighting cartoon aimed at children.
I really haven't. Every Blu-ray special feature that I see makes my head hurt with how awful they are. It really is the equivalent of "poopy, kaka" jokes. But hey, if you've seen serious interviews where they talk about how they respect the series, then great. But to me, just because something is comedic and aimed at a certain audience, doesn't mean that their actors shouldn't take it seriously. To me, they still come off as party college kids who stumbled onto something (even though they don't look like college kids anymore). They don't look like they've matured into artists working on an art. Instead of talking about getting down mannerisms and studying their characters, they talk about "Screams are like, really hard and stuff" and joke about what would happen if their character walked down the street. That's the glaring difference between them and an Ian Sinclaor and Jason Douglas for me.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. That's just my opinion.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:18 pm

It really is a good decision. My eyes were opened all the way back in the early 2000's when I read online about how much the dub had changed things from the original. I also downloaded some low quality MPEG's of the Japanese version with the different music and dialogue--it endlessly intrigued me and even back then all I wanted was to experience the series as it was intended by the original creators. I haven't been following the dub since then but the Vic thing kinda opened my eyes to this strange cult of personality around people who are hired to adapt foreign cartoons. Like, his fans treat him like a genuine celebrity but his job is to make sure you can understand what this character says. It's almost like idolizing one of the voice-over artists from one of the old Godzilla dubs or something. I never understood the egotism around these voice actors but it seems like there's fans who really do feed that idea and are more of a fan of Sean Schemmel than Goku. Yikes.

I have to admit some "trainwreck"-like fascination with the whole situation, but fortunately I am able to have some separation away from these people because I imagine some childhoods have been ruined over the past several months...
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:22 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm Greatness, I find your logic specious at best. I've seen plenty of interviews and they clearly like the series and respect it but can keep it all in perspective, as in, it's a goofy fighting cartoon aimed at children.
I really haven't. Every Blu-ray special feature that I see makes my head hurt with how awful they are. It really is the equivalent of "poopy, kaka" jokes. But hey, if you've seen serious interviews where they talk about how they respect the series, then great. But to me, just because something is comedic and aimed at a certain audience, doesn't mean that their actors shouldn't take it seriously. To me, they still come off as party college kids who stumbled onto something (even though they don't look like college kids anymore). They don't look like they've matured into artists working on an art. Instead of talking about getting down mannerisms and studying their characters, they talk about "Screams are like, really hard and stuff" and joke about what would happen if their character walked down the street. That's the glaring difference between them and an Ian Sinclaor and Jason Douglas for me.

You absolutely have. You may cringe at their humor, but to say they don't respect the show or look down on it is asinine. Your entire point consists of "they yuck yuck around in interviews and I don't like it."

Calling this art and talking about respecting the art all sounds so damn pretentious and I'm glad they have fun. Being "serious" isn't a sign of respect. And lastly, I don't ask that they respect the show, just do their job well.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:22 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm

You absolutely have. You may cringe at their humor, but to say they don't respect the show or look down on it is asinine. Your entire point consists of "they yuck yuck around in interviews and I don't like it."

Calling this art and talking about respecting the art all sounds so damn pretentious and I'm glad they have fun. Being "serious" isn't a sign of respect. And lastly, I don't ask that they respect the show, just do their job well.
It sounds pretentious to think of their work as an art after investing two decades into it? Come on, guy. Every role on TV is an art.

I was sharing my opinion and what I think of their interviews. If you have a different opinion, then congratulations. But you're sitting there criticizing my opinion like yours is more correct than mine. I'm not doing this with you -- I don't owe you a dissertation on why I think my opinion is valid for me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:09 pm

It sounds pretentious to think of their work as an art after investing two decades into it? Come on, guy. Every role on TV is an art.
It's a craft. They go in, put in their time and effort, and go home. And even with art, that doesn't mean you have to be serious about it, just professional. For the record, there's plenty of evidence to show they do understand the shows importance to their fans, and you don't even have to go out of your way to find it. So you can hide behind "it's just my opinion" but I think you take it way too seriously and you aren't looking for easily found counter evidence. Oh no, they laugh and have fun during interviews about a goofy children's show. Stop equivocating mature and serious.