Toei Animation ruined Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Toei Animation ruined Dragon Ball Super

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Dragon Ball Super impressed me a lot because it's the Dragon Ball I've seen since I was three years old. However, although I do review a few scenes from time to time, I notice that Toei has ruined the anime.

1. The problem with animation. Something that lasted the entire series, being remedied from the Black Saga.

2. Made the Golden Freeza bow mediocre (I think FnF is a pretty cool movie). Little approach to the transformation of Super Saiyan Blue.

3. Brought the visually awful Kaioken. So they could use Super Saiyan God along with Blue to compensate for two transformations in less than 15 episodes.

4. Although I didn't find it that important, they changed the hair color of Mirai Trunks to blue, while the child Trunks remained purple.

5. Several time trips.

6. I love Trunks, but it shouldn't have that pathetic transformation. Only a Super Saiyan 2 with an increase in strength would be necessary for that occasion (letting Goku and Vegeta return).

7. Turn Zamasu into a Naruto character during your fusion. Detail for that huge creature and the melted face with a huge arm just like Gaara.

8. Zamasu dominate the universe. It's ridiculous to see his face in the sky.

9. The struggles during the Power Tournament training period created more breaches for inconsistencies. It is very strange to see Goku Super Saiyan Blue vie with Android 17.

10. Auras 3D. Jiren himself had more than five types. In addition, it damaged the art of the episode with all that exaggeration.

11. Super Saiyan Blue Evolution. That name already brings me bad memories, besides being unnecessary. Vegeta could increase your power if you need to create a new shade of blue in your hair. Could take the example of Toyotarou with Goku Super Saiyan Blue Full Power.

12. Goku so stupid that he became boring.

Well, that's it. Do you agree? Disagree?
Last edited by ronaldnorth_03 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Toei Animation ruined Dragon Ball Super

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am

I mean...

1. The animation was due to the pre-production phase being unexpected and hellish, which resulted in the animation experiencing a complete meltdown a lot sooner than most projects normally would. It'd take awhile before scheduling and stuff would kinda normalize for the series.

The greenlight for the project was a lot sooner than it should've been, when in reality these projects would traditionally be decided almost a year in advance. Based off evidence, sounds like Toei Animation had intended to move on with Kitaro around 2015 or so, due to information posted on an animator's LinkedIn, but ultimately parties (Fuji TV, Shueisha, Bamco, etc.) wanted more Dragon Ball.

And that's what we got. Really not Toei's fault, since they don't 100% control aspects of the franchise that lead to this decision.

2. Majority of the issues you described were likely present in the drafts that Toriyama wrote for the series that both Toyotaro and Toei Animation both used to adapt the arcs in questions. When it's a source material issue, there's only so much you can do to improve upon it, especially when you have to deal with multiple parties of interest that have to approve scripts and such.

3. I mean... Goku was always kinda a Bumpkin head, and while maybe a little more exaggerated on Super, he was really always that way. If you only watched the dub, I kinda get why you'd be caught off guard, but that was always an element present in the series.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 am

ChibiGoku wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am 3. I mean... Goku was always kinda a Bumpkin head, and while maybe a little more exaggerated on Super, he was really always that way. If you only watched the dub, I kinda get why you'd be caught off guard, but that was always an element present in the series.
I think the old dub, in particular. In the dub of DB and the Kai dub, Goku's social unfamiliarity and slight thick-headed-ness is a noticeable facet of his character, up to and including not noticing he's never needed a haircut and thinking he can get away with sly shots of Bulma for Old Kai in front of Vegeta's face.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:20 am

Since when does "Slightly Damaged" mean "Ruined"?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:16 pm

I am brazillian. As I am using Google Translate, some words may be wrong. What I mean by that is how Toei Animation might have ruined DBS.
Last edited by ronaldnorth_03 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 pm

And that's important because...? What are you trying to say?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:15 pm Dragon Ball Super impressed me a lot because it's the Dragon Ball I've seen since I was three years old. However, although I do review a few scenes from time to time, I notice that Toei has ruined the anime.

1. The problem with animation. Something that lasted the entire series, being remedied from the Black Saga.

2. Made the Golden Freeza bow mediocre (I think FnF is a pretty cool movie). Little approach to the transformation of Super Saiyan Blue.

3. Brought the visually awful Kaioken. So they could use Super Saiyan God along with Blue to compensate for two transformations in less than 15 episodes.

4. Although I didn't find it that important, they changed the hair color of Mirai Trunks to blue, while the child Trunks remained purple.

5. Several time trips.

6. I love Trunks, but it shouldn't have that pathetic transformation. Only a Super Saiyan 2 with an increase in strength would be necessary for that occasion (letting Goku and Vegeta return).

7. Turn Zamasu into a Naruto character during your fusion. Detail for that huge creature and the melted face with a huge arm just like Gaara.

9. The struggles during the Power Tournament training period created more breaches for inconsistencies. It is very strange to see Goku Super Saiyan Blue vie with Android 17.

10. Auras 3D. Jiren himself had more than five types. In addition, it damaged the art of the episode with all that exaggeration.

11. Super Saiyan Blue Evolution. That name already brings me bad memories, besides being unnecessary. Vegeta could increase your power if you need to create a new shade of blue in your hair. Could take the example of Toyotarou with Goku Super Saiyan Blue Full Power.

huh? how if don't there were people who think the same about manga or movies, so you would have to argue without relying on subjectivisms but many of those complaints do not seem valid.

1.-however it has quite a few moments where the animation is great

2.- what? is that in basically the same thing ..
the only difference is the animation but they fix several errors of the movie shenrong fulfills 3 wishes, goku is damaged in base and not in SSB por el lazer, piccolo does not fight with shisame etc etc

3.- the kaioken is not a transformation ... it is a technique, so he can use it, the visual aspect is subjective I think it looks more aggressive

4.- Bulma has no blue hair on her sleeve.
goku GT had darker skin than the previous goku Z.

It's a design change that nobody cared about before

5.- Why is it a problem?

6.- it is a legitimate argument only the SSJ2 was necessary, it was done to make it more relevant but it was not necessary however I do not see it necessary to give it the power of SSJ3 or powers of supreme kai as the manga did.

7.- his body is deformed because his immortality failed therefore he could not regenerate at all and in my opinion it makes him look more threatening.
it is also symbolic zamasu was now bearing the sins of the gods has nothing to do with naruto lol

8.- majin buu can open portals to another dimension and nobody sees it ridiculous ... it's fiction besides that zamasu was developing new powers due to having the body of goku with the powers of a supreme kai.
and in any case it better justifies the decision to erase the entire timeline, fact by zen-oh

9.- that's more reasonable but that was technically filled
it was explained that goku was contained against them, anyway nobody complained when mr popo fought against goten and trunks in z.

10.- again objective, also outside the final part jiren did not generate many auras

11.- both are basically the same, they fulfill the role ... why that one and not the other? and if you ask me the version of the manga seems silly to me ... SSB was already 100% of the SSG it makes no sense the maximum of the maximum.
I prefer the SSBE which is the natural evolution of the SSB and is related to the development of vegeta as a person and warrior.

12.- you will have to be more specific than that because goku has had very questionable moments in anime, manga and original manga

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm
ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:15 pm Dragon Ball Super impressed me a lot because it's the Dragon Ball I've seen since I was three years old. However, although I do review a few scenes from time to time, I notice that Toei has ruined the anime.

5. Several time trips.

huh? how if don't there were people who think the same about manga or movies, so you would have to argue without relying on subjectivisms but many of those complaints do not seem valid.

the only difference is the animation but they fix several errors of the movie shenrong fulfills 3 wishes, goku is damaged in base and not in SSB por el lazer, piccolo does not fight with shisame etc etc

3.- the kaioken is not a transformation ... it is a technique, so he can use it, the visual aspect is subjective I think it looks more aggressive

5.- Why is it a problem?

6.- it is a legitimate argument only the SSJ2 was necessary, it was done to make it more relevant but it was not necessary however I do not see it necessary to give it the power of SSJ3 or powers of supreme kai as the manga did.

7.- his body is deformed because his immortality failed therefore he could not regenerate at all and in my opinion it makes him look more threatening.
it is also symbolic zamasu was now bearing the sins of the gods has nothing to do with naruto lol

8.- majin buu can open portals to another dimension and nobody sees it ridiculous ... it's fiction besides that zamasu was developing new powers due to having the body of goku with the powers of a supreme kai.
and in any case it better justifies the decision to erase the entire timeline, fact by zen-oh

it was explained that goku was contained against them, anyway nobody complained when mr popo fought against goten and trunks in z.

10.- again objective, also outside the final part jiren did not generate many auras

11.- both are basically the same, they fulfill the role ... why that one and not the other? and if you ask me the version of the manga seems silly to me ... SSB was already 100% of the SSG it makes no sense the maximum of the maximum.
I prefer the SSBE which is the natural evolution of the SSB and is related to the development of vegeta as a person and warrior.

12.- you will have to be more specific than that because goku has had very questionable moments in anime, manga and original manga

1. '' A few moments ''. If you re-watch the series, you will find that there are rare moments where the animation excels. It was usually the basics for the bad thing.

2. Yes. But what I meant was that they had time for it and missed the opportunity.

3. I agree. My biggest complaint concerns the look, although I find Kaioken's combination with the Super Saiyan transformation boring. Do you combine a transformation that consumes a lot of energy and multiply that by ten? twenty? Goku should be dead already.

4. Yes. The GT color scheme is widely criticized. The comparison is not with water, but with consistency. In all materials already released from the anime, Trunks had purple hair. Only in Super he appears with blue hair, looks like another character. And worse, only this Trunks has hair this color. Both the child and the classic versions are still purple.

5. It gets boring. They fight if no strategy and run twice. They could have waited longer, to think of something. They had "figured out" who Black was, but they didn't know how to defeat him.

6. It was the same thing they did to Vegeta during the fight with Bills in Battle of Gods and Super 8.

7. Compare with Gaara's form in Naruto who will see how similar they are. Because it's so hard to leave the character the way it is until the end, you always have to have a '' transformation '' behind it. In fact, I believe that fusion should be immortal, since Zamasu is more influential in fusion.

8. They opened portals, but did not personify the universe in their own image. This moment in the manga is much more impactful. We feel the warriors trapped. There are hundreds of enemies, not a greenish sky with Zamasu's face.

9. I always found it absurd Goten and Trunks to exchange blows with Popo. An error does not justify another. I'm not obsessed with power levels, but it could be less controversial. It was more prominent for Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 3 ...

10. Each episode was a different aura.

11. The modern Dragon Ball has trivialized transformations. They should hold more. What does it cost to use Super Saiyan Blue more than it was used by Gohan and Goku? We know they are stronger, but they didn't need a new form.

12. Beg Zamasu to fight him (I swear, he looked like a five year old wanting a toy), and they didn't go for it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pmAnd worse, only this Trunks has hair this color. Both the child and the classic versions are still purple.
Are you sure?

Then again, most of the Dragon Ball Z flashbacks were black and white, probably to "avoid" showing too much of old Trunks as purple hair. But Toei bothered itself to recolor his hair for that particular scene.

I wouldn't mind the change because changing color of hair is natural thing. Just because this is a cartoon doesn't mean the characters should stay the same forever. The problem starts when they suddenly decide to depict one thing as if it was always meant to be like that. Like in this case, Toei is telling you that Trunks hair was always blue, a stupid and unnecessary retcon.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:54 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:48 pm

5. Several time trips.

5.- Why is it a problem?

1. '' A few moments ''. If you re-watch the series, you will find that there are rare moments where the animation excels. It was usually the basics for the bad thing.

2. Yes. But what I meant was that they had time for it and missed the opportunity.

3. I agree. My biggest complaint concerns the look, although I find Kaioken's combination with the Super Saiyan transformation boring. Do you combine a transformation that consumes a lot of energy and multiply that by ten? twenty? Goku should be dead already.

4. Yes. The GT color scheme is widely criticized. The comparison is not with water, but with consistency. In all materials already released from the anime, Trunks had purple hair. Only in Super he appears with blue hair, looks like another character. And worse, only this Trunks has hair this color. Both the child and the classic versions are still purple.

5. It gets boring. They fight if no strategy and run twice. They could have waited longer, to think of something. They had "figured out" who Black was, but they didn't know how to defeat him.

6. It was the same thing they did to Vegeta during the fight with Bills in Battle of Gods and Super 8.

7. Compare with Gaara's form in Naruto who will see how similar they are. Because it's so hard to leave the character the way it is until the end, you always have to have a '' transformation '' behind it. In fact, I believe that fusion should be immortal, since Zamasu is more influential in fusion.

8. They opened portals, but did not personify the universe in their own image. This moment in the manga is much more impactful. We feel the warriors trapped. There are hundreds of enemies, not a greenish sky with Zamasu's face.

9. I always found it absurd Goten and Trunks to exchange blows with Popo. An error does not justify another. I'm not obsessed with power levels, but it could be less controversial. It was more prominent for Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 3 ...

10. Each episode was a different aura.

11. The modern Dragon Ball has trivialized transformations. They should hold more. What does it cost to use Super Saiyan Blue more than it was used by Gohan and Goku? We know they are stronger, but they didn't need a new form.

12. Beg Zamasu to fight him (I swear, he looked like a five year old wanting a toy), and they didn't go for it.
1.- I did it but in general terms it was from regular to good with its bad moments in FNF and some of BOG

2.- it depends on what you mean with opportunity, in animation the movie has more budget and a year in advance but the movie have many plot errors that were fixed in the series

3.- Goku is supposed to trained for that ... and he had to give up on combat the wear and tear.

4.-Well, you're the first one I see who complains about that, anyway, they are design changes ... something that has happened a lot in the series depends on the person

5.-I appreciate that you clarify this ...
the first trip ... was a trap believing that black was alone and could easily beat him due to the "first meeting".
the second trip ... and the third trip ... came stronger and with more strategy

6.- beerus was playing with them for quite some time, which they cannot know by not feeling their ki

7.- it is not even a transformation ... it was simply to explain that zamasu was only half immortal in addition to the fusion defects were explained by gowasu.

8.- again buu opened dimensional holes by screaming ... he didn't know how he did it, he never explains how he did it and it was only because of his power.
what is your complaint exactly? is it exaggerated or you just don't like zamasu's faces ?, the first thing is relative .. because the same thing could be said every time a powerful person did something exaggerated at the time, zamasu can do this due to the abilities and power of the characters that conform them in addition to justifying their erased in the timeline is not the case of the manga.

9.-should not? Maybe but you can always rationalize since it is not the first time that happens and neither it ruin the series that time.

10.-his aura is always red with different shades why was that important?

11.- I would agree in part ... as the case of "trunks rage" exists only because it exists. but at least for me in the case of SSBE they treated him differently as a natural evolution of the character and its principles. naming it is just marketing thing majin vegeta and SSB 100%

12.- the point in that scene is that it was like that .. and anyway it was to check if the Ki of zamasu was the same as that of black.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:48 am

I swear the 1st time I read the title, I misread it as "Toei Animation ruined DragonBall franchise"

Which was exactly my sentiments bro...considering the mayhem TOEI have inflicted. Excluding DB & Z (merely adapting Toriyama's work which into animated version which was heart & soul of an immensely talented mangaka)...all TOEI mfkers have did is killing DB back in 90's with GT...then overhyped, but under-delivered Kai, Kai 2.0. Then producing half-assed OVA's, Specials that no DB fan ever asked for. Finally delving into....monstrosity known as Super :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: that turned entire Dragonball franchise & fandom upside down...and not in a good way imo.

On topic, I basically LOL'd while reading all ur points....as it simply mirrored mine & agreed whole-heartedly. I actually giggled at point no.7 (turn Zamasu into naruto character :P :P :P )

It hurts even more as I just watched Frieza Arc 2 weeks ago...and the next moment I watched ROF :x . Look how they massacared my boi...Dude was dragon. A giant. A tyrant. galactic warlord. And these guys had the audacity to turn him into a joke.

Also the whole garbage designs with kaioken/Goddo/Goat, Bluper, Rose all dat craps.

As if that wasnt enuf, we've got multiuniverse tournament with toilet-tissue paper worth characterizations like Jiren, Belmot, Toppo, Zeno...list goes....sigh....