Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Speaking of dubisms. I'm sure the vast majority of English speaking fans, including myself, say "Say Yan" and not "Sai Yan". I say Ka May Ha May Ha, but I still hear people saying Kamayah mayah.

Funny enough, I say "say yan" but also "Sai ya Jin" sometimes.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm

I could almost swear that fans of the original JP version also used SSJ. Like this is one of those things i vividly remember that i used to read back in the day pre Funimation dub. Then again it could just be a fake memory, or something. Honestly It becomes really hard at times to keep track of all this stuff. Especially if you fall out of Dragon Ball for long periods of time (years) before coming back to it, like i have. I think i used both for long periods of time. Not sure why SSJ is a thing in the dub parts of the fandom?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm Speaking of dubisms. I'm sure the vast majority of English speaking fans, including myself, say "Say Yan" and not "Sai Yan". I say Ka May Ha May Ha, but I still hear people saying Kamayah mayah.

Funny enough, I say "say yan" but also "Sai ya Jin" sometimes.
I remember when we first watched GT me and my sister thought they changed the pronunciation of Kamehameha to "cummy hummy ha!", which is hilarious to think about.

Still better than Kamehameha Wave I guess since it isn't redundant!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm

VDenter wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm Not sure why SSJ is a thing in the dub parts of the fandom?
For the same reason some folks swear by using Gokou: either it's their preference, or using the "most OG" version makes them feel superior over other fans.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Tcof wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:03 pm So saiyanjin will be pronounce as three words Sai Yan Jin SSJ make perfect sense.
It's five different syllables: sa - i - ya - ji - n. Saying that's different "words" isn't really the best way to describe it. It's one complete phrase meaning the Saiya people.
To supplement, it's like saying "Portugese" is two words, "Portug" and "ese".

...I personally just like the way the SSJ acronym looks.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pmStill better than Kamehameha Wave I guess since it isn't redundant!
You must hate the term 'ATM machine'.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:25 pm

I've been using "SS" instead of "SSJ" for a few years already, myself, ever since I started learning a teeny tiny bit of Japanese and realised that it's not used officially and it's grammatically incorrect (saiyajin is not two words, it's a word with a suffix). But...
It's really hard to make people change their approach to something like this. There's plenty of evidence of "SSJ" being incorrect and "SS" being correct and used officially, but it doesn't help, because "SSJ" is just too ingrained. (As an example, there was an official SDBH Youtube video recently where the card reviewers/whatever said "SS3", and not "SSJ3".) If you really want to try to convert people, I wish you the best of luck, because I don't know how you're going to be able to do it.
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 pm Plenty of people do. In fact, I'd wager most do. Where, besides communities with crusty old people like here, do you see people using "SSJ" in earnest? I don't say that as some challenge or mocking rhetorical question - I'd genuinely love to know, because any time I see it come up elsewhere, it's just people asking what SSJ means without anyone ever actually saying SSJ in any surrounding context!
I usually see people use "SSJ" in the part of the Facebook DB community I'm in, both by page admins and in comments/post share captions/etc. made by page fans. This is a largely American community (and page admin group chat), by the way. I've found myself explaining why I don't use "SSJ" a few times, even.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Just taking the opportunity to say that people must drop the "Mystic Gohan" (when the correct is "Ultimate Gohan" and a few other terms stated in the guidebooks) and any other American-only terms (such as "Changelling", "Frost Demons" and many other stupidities).

I don't mind much terminology and abbreviation but this here is a pain in the ass to accept.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:41 pm

omegacwa wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm Speaking of dubisms. I'm sure the vast majority of English speaking fans, including myself, say "Say Yan" and not "Sai Yan".
In my view "Saiyan" is a dub term above all else, and I really can't imagine pronouncing it as "SIGH-yan" or what have you. Of course there are many who do.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 pm

Tcof wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:03 pm
Saiyajin is supposed to be only one word
Nope
You ever notice Japanese way of speak English ? they always speak the last consonant character out load instead make it silent like it suppose to. Like White, will sound like 'why to'. Black will be 'back ku'. or something like that
in Asian languages, each sound it make a word. This is true for all the case i have seen

So saiyanjin will be pronounce as three words Sai Yan Jin SSJ make perfect sense.
... Please tell me you are joking. If you are not, then I would highly encourage you to do research on basic Japanese grammar and vocab.
KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm
VDenter wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:15 pm Not sure why SSJ is a thing in the dub parts of the fandom?
For the same reason some folks swear by using Gokou: either it's their preference, or using the "most OG" version makes them feel superior over other fans.
Gokou is also wrong from a phonetic/romanji standpoint. That's even worse than SSJ or "Kulilin!!" I don't care how fans/Shueisha/Toei/Funimation/Toriyama/Toyotarou romanize it, that's just straight up wrong. These are the types of usages that stem from ignorance or obstinate insistence.
Alruneia wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:25 pm I've been using "SS" instead of "SSJ" for a few years already, myself, ever since I started learning a teeny tiny bit of Japanese and realised that it's not used officially and it's grammatically incorrect (saiyajin is not two words, it's a word with a suffix). But...
It's really hard to make people change their approach to something like this. There's plenty of evidence of "SSJ" being incorrect and "SS" being correct and used officially, but it doesn't help, because "SSJ" is just too ingrained. (As an example, there was an official SDBH Youtube video recently where the card reviewers/whatever said "SS3", and not "SSJ3".) If you really want to try to convert people, I wish you the best of luck, because I don't know how you're going to be able to do it.
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 pm Plenty of people do. In fact, I'd wager most do. Where, besides communities with crusty old people like here, do you see people using "SSJ" in earnest? I don't say that as some challenge or mocking rhetorical question - I'd genuinely love to know, because any time I see it come up elsewhere, it's just people asking what SSJ means without anyone ever actually saying SSJ in any surrounding context!
I usually see people use "SSJ" in the part of the Facebook DB community I'm in, both by page admins and in comments/post share captions/etc. made by page fans. This is a largely American community (and page admin group chat), by the way. I've found myself explaining why I don't use "SSJ" a few times, even.
Forgot to answer this to VegettoEX, but I've seen "SSJ" being used on other sites like Twitter, YouTube, reddit, Gamefaqs, and Instagram as well. It is really ingrained like you said. It is really widely used and that's what's so frustrating about it.

I feel like we need something on the order of a viral video of the Japanese community just mocking or laughing at us for using something as strange as 'SSJ.' Granted they use even shorter acronyms like S1-S4 but that's out of pure laziness, not ignorance or fansub convention.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:07 pm Just taking the opportunity to say that people must drop the "Mystic Gohan" (when the correct is "Ultimate Gohan" and a few other terms stated in the guidebooks) and any other American-only terms (such as "Changelling", "Frost Demons" and many other stupidities).

I don't mind much terminology and abbreviation but this here is a pain in the ass to accept.
Mystic Gohan isn't as often used as SSJ and I've seen posts that often argue against its usage so I think that's a battle that can be won. The same can't be said for SSJ.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:40 pm

I mean, one of the most common utterances in the English language is one-word acronym, but OK, you do you, I guess.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:40 pm I mean, one of the most common utterances in the English language is one-word acronym, but OK, you do you, I guess.
Which utterance?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:40 pm I mean, one of the most common utterances in the English language is one-word acronym, but OK, you do you, I guess.
Which utterance?
OK.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Which utterance?
OK.
Not an acronym, it's an abbreviation or initialism, but sure I guess.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:30 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pmStill better than Kamehameha Wave I guess since it isn't redundant!
You must hate the term 'ATM machine'.
"Put the PIN Number in the ATM machine!" :lol:
ABED wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm Which utterance?
OK.
Not an acronym, it's an abbreviation or initialism, but sure I guess.
Still relevant since that's what SSJ is for Super Saiyajin (regarding the SJ part).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 am

Does it really matter?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 am Does it really matter?
No, not really.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I’ll continue to use SSJ don’t want to use SS because yes it makes me personally think of the Gestapo. I don’t really care what other people use and either should you

Also Gokou may be wrong but that is how they spell it on all Japanese merchandise. Note I still use Goku because I like how it looks more but again doesn’t matter to me how other people spell it.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:06 pm

I prefer taking the extra millisecond to just spell out Super Saiyajin.

To each their own.