Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Rakurai » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:23 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 am
Does it really matter?
In the grand scheme of things, no because SSJ is an acronym that will never make its way into official merch or showcases. For the community, it's a tradition that needs to die as much as the term "Mystic Gohan" does.
Kinokima wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:05 pm
I’ll continue to use SSJ don’t want to use SS because yes it makes me personally think of the Gestapo. I don’t really care what other people use and either should you


Also Gokou may be wrong but that is how they spell it on all Japanese merchandise. Note I still use Goku because I like how it looks more but again doesn’t matter to me how other people spell it.
I care to an extent because it's an old fan tradition that makes no sense and is against the official norm which makes more sense.

If it triggers you, then don't use it ofc. You don't even have to use SS, just do SS1-4. I don't see how adding a number is any more different than adding a J in terms of censoring its relation to the Nazi Germany thing.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Google SSJ what is the first thing that comes up?

Google SS what is the first thing that comes up?

Again I really don’t care what other people choose to use as an abbreviation or if people don’t use an abbreviation at all but people are not wrong for using SSJ over SS. And no neither SS or SSJ is official.

And note I do usually use Saiyajin or Saiyan more than abbreviations but on twitter every letter counts :lol:

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 am

I started using "SSJ" when referring to the Ascended and Ultra Super Saiyan forms (before knowing the official names were Grade 2 and 3). ASSJ Vegeta looked better than ASS Vegeta :lol:

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:35 am

As someone from the that weird generation of fans that's in-between the original dub of Z and the Nicktoons generation I absolutely refuse not to use SSJ. Due to being in the fandom when it was still mostly fans from the late 90's/early 2000's I've been using that abbreviation before I even knew about "Saiya-jin."
Retired from forum discussion, except for video games.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 am

i know this is the logic for a lot of people who prefer funimation's name's, but SSJ really does look better. maybe it's just because i'm so used too it but i think it's partially because SS gets used in different contexts, where SSJ doesn't, at least as far as i know.
nonbinary, they/them

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5876
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:57 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 am
i know this is the logic for a lot of people who prefer funimation's name's, but SSJ really does look better. maybe it's just because i'm so used too it but i think it's partially because SS gets used in different contexts, where SSJ doesn't, at least as far as i know.
Well there is one other context I know of, but it's very obscure.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2193
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 am
i know this is the logic for a lot of people who prefer funimation's name's, but SSJ really does look better. maybe it's just because i'm so used too it but i think it's partially because SS gets used in different contexts, where SSJ doesn't, at least as far as i know.
Ironically, I swear I see the SSJ short-hand used way more often by people who exclusively watch the dub than watch the Japanese version. Like Teen Gohan and Kid Goku and what not.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Rakurai » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm
Google SSJ what is the first thing that comes up?

Google SS what is the first thing that comes up?

Again I really don’t care what other people choose to use as an abbreviation or if people don’t use an abbreviation at all but people are not wrong for using SSJ over SS. And no neither SS or SSJ is official.

And note I do usually use Saiyajin or Saiyan more than abbreviations but on twitter every letter counts :lol:
Like I said before, it's wrong in the context that it makes no grammatical sense to include the J, both from an English and Japanese PoV. If we were to abbreviate "chikyuujin" (Earthling) or "Namekseijin" (Namekian) it wouldn't be "CJ" or "NSJ" either.

And for the other "SS" meaning - it could be circumvented by adding a 1 to it if some people feel so strongly about it (which I get).

And yes, I've seen SS(1)-4 get used in official merch and games. There are figures that are labeled as such. There's also SSGSS which follows from the SS precedence. In contrast, SSJ has always been a fan thing and never used by Shueisha, Toei, Funimation, etc.
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 am
i know this is the logic for a lot of people who prefer funimation's name's, but SSJ really does look better. maybe it's just because i'm so used too it but i think it's partially because SS gets used in different contexts, where SSJ doesn't, at least as far as i know.
It's definitely subjective because I've always thought SSJ was kind of weird and pretentious. Like there's no point in using the J if the person who uses it doesn't even use the term 'Saiyajin.' Also, I don't know of any other context besides the Nazi one (which I only found out about through users in the thread).

Also, just to clarify in case, I'm not going by any Funimation logic. I'm just going by what I see, and I've seen SS(1)-4 being used in merch and games.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
SSJGAffleck
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
Location: PE, Canada
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by SSJGAffleck » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am

But then I have to change my name!
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

User avatar
dario03
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by dario03 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Skar wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 am
I started using "SSJ" when referring to the Ascended and Ultra Super Saiyan forms (before knowing the official names were Grade 2 and 3). ASSJ Vegeta looked better than ASS Vegeta :lol:
Ascended Super Saiyan was one of the rare times I would use SSJ too. I never switched the others but I did use ASSJ for that exact same reason :)
SSJGAffleck wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am
But then I have to change my name!
I always figured this was one of the big reasons SSJ caught on. On a DB forum everyone will know what you mean with SS but if you have a username on something not DB related then it would be out of context so more people wouldn't know. Some still wouldn't know but more would. So everybody went with things like xXxSSJMikeMaster69xXx@aol.com

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

What about a petition to close overzealous fan nazi threads in which they pretentiously explain why their abbreviation for a cartoon character is more right than the traditional abbreviation?

Ssj looks cooler, sounds cooler, and is a welcome remnant from the days where you would spend hours looking for full episodes on websites that had a realplayer plugin. It may be nostalgic, sure, but at least to us 90's kids its more aesthetically representative of a Super Saiyan.

The term has survived this long for a reason. Nobody cares whether you use ssj or ss, but one is clearly more synonymous with the character. Who cares? The idea that it is grammatically "wrong" is as pretentious as it gets.

User avatar
Desassina
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Desassina » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:50 am

Perhaps we shoud call them SJW to include the countries whose language had them be "warriors from space". Saiya-jin Warriors.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 am

Desassina wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:50 am
Perhaps we shoud call them SJW to include the countries whose language had them be "warriors from space". Saiya-jin Warriors.
Heheh, I thought of that one a couple of days ago! :lol:

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: oak park heights
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 am

Rakurai wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 pm
It's definitely subjective because I've always thought SSJ was kind of weird and pretentious. Like there's no point in using the J if the person who uses it doesn't even use the term 'Saiyajin.' Also, I don't know of any other context besides the Nazi one (which I only found out about through users in the thread).

Also, just to clarify in case, I'm not going by any Funimation logic. I'm just going by what I see, and I've seen SS(1)-4 being used in merch and games.
oh lol, don't worry i wasn't accusing you of it, just that a lot of times when you see people defend funimations name changes, someone might bring up that "yeah but freeza with a "i" just looks cooler".
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonbinary, they/them

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 am
oh lol, don't worry i wasn't accusing you of it, just that a lot of times when you see people defend funimations, someone might bring up that "yeah but freeza with a "i" just looks cooler".
I personally think the i does look better and helps make the pun not so stonkingly obvious, but at this point it's gone beyond preference and into sheer muscle memory from not knowing any better.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Rakurai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm
What about a petition to close overzealous fan nazi threads in which they pretentiously explain why their abbreviation for a cartoon character is more right than the traditional abbreviation?

Ssj looks cooler, sounds cooler, and is a welcome remnant from the days where you would spend hours looking for full episodes on websites that had a realplayer plugin. It may be nostalgic, sure, but at least to us 90's kids its more aesthetically representative of a Super Saiyan.

The term has survived this long for a reason. Nobody cares whether you use ssj or ss, but one is clearly more synonymous with the character. Who cares? The idea that it is grammatically "wrong" is as pretentious as it gets.
If I'm too "overzealous fan nazi" for you, then I suggest you should stay away from Bandai advertisements for Super Saiyans as they may look like propaganda for the rise of the Fourth Reich.

"Looks cooler" - I think SS, SS1, SS2, SSG, SSGSS, etc look pretty cool too.

"Sounds cooler" - I have never heard a person actually say Es-Es-Jay in real life. Like literally no one, at anime conventions or livestreams. Everyone just says the whole term Super Saiyan.

"Welcome remnant from the days..." - In favor of the correct and official acronym? I disagree.

The idea that it is grammatically wrong and misleads people into thinking that Japanese words are broken up as such is just me trying to rectify a mistake in the fandom that's gone around for too long. There is nothing pretentious about that. The idea that people use SSJ despite saying Super Saiyan instead of Saiyajin is confusing and fits with the definition of "pretentious," i.e. seeming like they are more knowledgeable when the opposite is happening, and they have no idea how to abbreviate a Japanese word.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Koitsukai
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm

I agree that SSJ looks better and stands on his own, while SS might be linked to pure horror but Buu's belt didn't read MJ, Vegeta's forehead had an M, not an MJ. That thing were they stored Gohan's power had an M.

I always felt SS was for Super Saiyan and SSJ for Super Saiyajin.

MyVisionity
Regular
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Koitsukai wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm
I agree that SSJ looks better and stands on his own, while SS might be linked to pure horror but Buu's belt didn't read MJ, Vegeta's forehead had an M, not an MJ. That thing were they stored Gohan's power had an M.

I always felt SS was for Super Saiyan and SSJ for Super Saiyajin.
That "M" symbol isn't supposed to stand for "Majin", but simply "Ma" most likely.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Rakurai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Koitsukai wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm
I agree that SSJ looks better and stands on his own, while SS might be linked to pure horror but Buu's belt didn't read MJ, Vegeta's forehead had an M, not an MJ. That thing were they stored Gohan's power had an M.

I always felt SS was for Super Saiyan and SSJ for Super Saiyajin.
Like someone said, the M most likely stood for "ma" (魔). But you are correct in that it would not be abbreviated MJ. SSJ is not the correct acronym for Super Saiyajin either.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Yuli Ban
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Re: Petition to use SS, not SSJ, as an abbreviation for Super Saiyan

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 am

The general gist I'm getting from this thread is that the 90s dub wrecked a lot of stuff.
May or may not be writing a Dragon Ball-inspired serial.

Post Reply