Evidence that GT influenced Toei’s End of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Evidence that GT influenced Toei’s End of Z?

Post by Zestanor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Toei knew that GT would follow the end of the Z anime immediately. Is there any evidence that GT affected the anime end of Z? For example, is Trunks or Pan given more emphasis here than in the manga?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Evidence that GT influenced Toei’s End of Z?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Zestanor wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm Toei knew that GT would follow the end of the Z anime immediately. Is there any evidence that GT affected the anime end of Z? For example, is Trunks or Pan given more emphasis here than in the manga?
I don't think it influenced the exposure of certain characters, but I personally believe that spinning up GT's production is why we still got filler episodes even after the manga had finished, to give them more time to figure out what the show was gonna be and other details.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Looking through release dates, it looks like the anime had a two week break right after the last manga chapter was issued. Maybe they were caught by surprise by the manga ending. Still, they probably had filler stories scheduled because they weren’t anticipating the manga to end and needed to keep the padding. And so they kept them because they were already scheduled.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Zestanor wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm Looking through release dates, it looks like the anime had a two week break right after the last manga chapter was issued. Maybe they were caught by surprise by the manga ending. Still, they probably had filler stories scheduled because they weren’t anticipating the manga to end and needed to keep the padding. And so they kept them because they were already scheduled.
As I recall I think the second-to-last Chapter said at the end that the next Chapter would be the last one.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 am

Filler episodes inside Super Boo gives strong GT impression

At least TOEI had some plans, considering how in the manga Goku & Veggie found-out Gohan, Gotenks & Piccolo in less than 5 pages, yet TOEI expanded anime into almost 4-5 episodes...it's mind-boggling😵😵😵

Rest of Kid Boo stuff seem very Android Arc-ish. Besides, nothing ever felt forced in the manga. Plot progression felt smooth. The 10 years time-skip, characters ageing or the subsequent Tenkaichi Budoukai. Toriyama gave a nice twist @ EoZ with Goku's decision & even that perfectly defined Goku's character

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am

I believe the case to have been how Toriyama postponed his plans for the future of the franchise by skipping time so that TOEI could create their own series without interfering and that helped the audience's perception of what happened in those ten years or its lack thereof.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:28 am

I doubt it. Nothing stands out to me as occurring for the sake of the sequel series. When I think of something like that, my go to example is Lilith and Frasier getting divorced, just so Frasier could be single for his spin off.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pmAs I recall I think the second-to-last Chapter said at the end that the next Chapter would be the last one.
There's this. Toriyama knowing that he would not continue, but provide a final chapter with a time skip, and it worked out well in hindsight, because GT can be considered to the side, instead of getting overlapped by Super. This will be debated though.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pmAs I recall I think the second-to-last Chapter said at the end that the next Chapter would be the last one.
There's this. Toriyama knowing that he would not continue, but provide a final chapter with a time skip, and it worked out well in hindsight, because GT can be considered to the side, instead of getting overlapped by Super. This will be debated though.
Having recently looked through that ending, it's significant to note that the "EoZ" section is actually comprised of two Chapters. Ch. 518 establishes the status quo and takes us to the TB, while Ch. 519 is the matches getting underway, the fight with Uub, and the ending.

What's most notable though is how the ending was teased: Toriyama had a message at the end of Ch. 518 that said:
The Big T wrote:Next time, in Dragon Ball chapter 519, something is going to happen!!!! Now! Just what’s going to happen, you ask?! Don’t get your hopes up too much, and wait for it!
So it wasn't even entirely clear that the manga was ending, and given the lack of the internet in those days, it would have caught practically the entire reader-base by surprise!

As a side-bar, I've always pondered as to whether Toriyama wanted to start a new arc, then realized his heart wasn't in it and ended the story. After all, Dragon Ball had gone through five timeskips to start new arcs, and two of them involved the Budokai! But, given that Toriyama had a rough idea of where the story was going by about 5 or so Chapters (I think? Is that the right number?), it's much more likely that he did the timeskip to show the characters in a sort of "and all was well" scenario, whilst using Uub and Pan as examples of the next generation and "The adventure continues" sort of thing where life goes on even as we depart the Dragon World. I realize this is a rhetorical paragraph, but I thought it was interesting.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:03 am

Good points. What I wrote was more like a hindsight exercise without historical accuracy because we also don't know what happened between him and his editors. Wouldn't they have opposed the idea of yet another timeskip after a new arc had Toriyama not given them a reason in the face of TOEI wanting it to continue? Perhaps they were a bit more lenient.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am

It's also not unusual for endings to involve time jumps. I wouldn't give that aspect much thought.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

It's not unusual, but again, DBS continued from this point in time when the characters were at their most loved appearances, in case it wasn't just about the sheer number of them, when it could have continued from Uub's tournament before GT.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:28 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am It's not unusual, but again, DBS continued from this point in time when the characters were at their most loved appearances, in case it wasn't just about the sheer number of them, when it could have continued from Uub's tournament before GT.
I don't see what Super has to do with this topic.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am

Somebody else will. Don't worry. Is there anything that you would like to correct me about? Because I could be wrong and learn nothing due to the lack of clarification. Just don't contradict for the sake of it, please.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:33 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am It's not unusual, but again, DBS continued from this point in time when the characters were at their most loved appearances, in case it wasn't just about the sheer number of them, when it could have continued from Uub's tournament before GT.
I'm sure this has been discussed to death in the Super forum, but I feel it could have been done for several reasons:
  1. To avoid direct comparisons to GT, and to not super-confirm that Super is over-writing it.
  2. Related to the above, by setting it "within" Z it feels like it's a part of Z, and thus is much more marketable.
  3. The most recent "familiar" appearances of the characters are here, and they're higher in number such as Dende, Goten and Trunks.
  4. They wanted to keep the manga ending as the ending for the story overall and didn't want to invalidate it (similar to GT)

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am As a side-bar, I've always pondered as to whether Toriyama wanted to start a new arc, then realized his heart wasn't in it and ended the story.
In his own words, he thought that Dragon Ball had effectively been over for a while but Toei's staff kept it going.
From 1996, right as GT started airing:
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

I personally feel it's a very vague overview of an author who once was passionate abt his work, was pushed beyond his limits multiple times & finally ran out of gas.

EoZ seemed more like finale for characters like Goku, Vegeta, rest of Z characters. But maybe for gag mangaka turned shounen legend Toriyama, the story/plot has been completed. Considering how Boo Arc became Super Saiyan show, whatnot.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Desassina wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am Somebody else will. Don't worry. Is there anything that you would like to correct me about? Because I could be wrong and learn nothing due to the lack of clarification. Just don't contradict for the sake of it, please.
I'm not contradicting you. I'm asking for clarification. Perhaps I should've made that explicit. I don't know how Super has a bearing on this subject.