Any Canadians that have YTV recordings of the Blue Water dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Any Canadians that have YTV recordings of the Blue Water dub?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:26 pm Define "trial run". If the entirety of Westwood Z and Blue Water DB and GT (and hell, even every Big Green movie) was uploaded to FunimationNow and then deleted by 24 hours... by the time it's deleted there'll be web-dl's of everything.
As long as it takes to gauge interest. It's no secret a hypothetical home release of the Westwood and Blue Water dubs would be a niche product, so much so that it's always been a question about whether such a DVD set would sell enough copies to turn a profit. Manga UK clearly aren't willing to take the chance. Yes I know they don't create their own DVDs, but if they wanted to they could licence the dubs and outsource the authoring to Visual Data London like they did with DBS Broly. Funimation, likewise aren't willing to risk it, but what they have that Manga UK and Periscoop Film don't have, which could be used to their advantage is a streaming service, so they are in an ideal situation where they can test the waters without needing to author, press, package and distribute DVDs. They just don't take advantage of it, just like they don't take advantage of the Pioneer movies being in their possession, and from a business perspective that's unfortunate as they are cutting their gains. Granted it's not by a huge margin but it's by something as there are plenty of fan's that would check out their streaming service just to have a way of officially supporting these old dubs or double dip on DBZ movies 1-3 just to not have to look for a second hand copy of the Pioneer DVDs.

I'm of the opinion that piracy should be avoided wherever possible, but the reality is companies like AB Groups/Mediawan Thematics don't make it easy when they haven't made an effort to make their dubs legally available for a full 15 years.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 pm companies like AB Groups/Mediawan Thematics don't make it easy when they haven't made an effort to make their dubs legally available for a full 15 years.
Worth noting: AB Groupe never produced the dubs, they merely distributed them in Europe, and provided the video masters for DB, GT, and the last few episodes of Z. Westwood media were the producers. And they haven't existed for a long time. So chances are, Funi could get talking to Toei USA and license these dubs quite easily.

Even if the European distribution rights are messy and got tangled up, it's likely the American distribution rights just reverted back to Toei.

This nitpick aside, I agree with your post.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 pm

I used to have the YTV rip of the Blue Water dub. The only real difference between YTV's version and the UK version is the final episode.

YTV's version keeps the original Japanese ending completely intact. Dan Dan is played in it's entirety. The UK edits the shit out of it. That's the only difference, there's no difference in censoring.

Now, YTV's version of the Blue Water OG DB on the other hand, does have less censorship than the UK counterpart. That's indeed true.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 pm

I have all of the UK airings of Dragon Ball, Z and GT. Including the Big Green dubs for the GT TV Special and the Dragon Ball Movies. I have most of them in HiFi also. I private messaged you but you have not followed up the conversation. I shared a few hours of Hi-Fi recordings with you and you sent me like a 30 second clip. Let's get back to business my guy. I know you want my Hi-Fi recordings :wink:
I have always shared these findings, since these dubs are a part of my childhood, and I know they are a part of every other fans like me. Before I found the Blue Water Dubs for GT and Dragon Ball there were like a handful in circulation, but I handed out all of the episodes I could find on old IRC servers on discs I have had since 2003. I don't care about the consequences of admitting I shared out recordings for old dubs which will never get an official release. On UKDB when I ran the site I made a point of giving away the recordings I got my hands on.
But now the mission is to obtain all of these dubs in their clearest form. I am well into the process of it. I have accepted we will never get an official release, I grew up with these versions. As bad as they sound to me now I still hold a fondness to them, and I know other fans like me do too. I have 4 to 5 versions of every episode of the Westwood Dub, and 2 versions of the Blue Water Dubs of GT and Dragon Ball. This is just to preserve the memory of these dubs. I ain't hoarding any of it. I will make sure there are Hi-Fi episodes circulated soon, so people who hoard this stuff and feel superior to others don't have the chance to gloat for too long.

Here is an example of the quality of Westwood Caps that have been given to me. Of course they are all clips from pre episode 167 of the Westwood Dub. They are all in Hi-Fi. I am sure it is these episodes you were interested in @DBGod: https://youtu.be/DyEVWfWv3XY
DBGod wrote:People who have contacted me in the past have seen my work and we're glad to have contributed to my project as a result of seeing my progression. Those who have helped have been given private access to my work along with periodic updates etc.
It isn't really your work is it? It is recordings of episodes someone has shared with you, and you have synced them up to whatever official video source, and called it your own.
GokuDaimao wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
kei17 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:07 pmI've got episode 124.
Okay, so? What does that do for us? Not like we're ever going to see it.
Don't worry I also have it.
But unlike him I ain't a hoarder. Fans who taped these and send them to us trust us with unreleased content; I share it with fans like me when I can since its so niche. Send me a PM.

P.S Here is an example of the Hi-Fi episodes of Dragon Ball Blue Water Dub I have been given. I am certain this is what you want: https://youtu.be/r5WIXoUPGvo

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Y'all done.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::