Is there a general consensus on what the worst movie is?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is there a general consensus on what the worst movie is?

Post by omegacwa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 am

Although I have come to accept it. I find the whole concept of Golden Freeza being on or near Super Saiyan Blue level to be completely laughable. If anything he should be at like SSJ2 Gohan in the Cell saga level.

Although I don't hate RoF, I feel like you really need to "shut off your brain" to enjoy it.

The last two movies had rehashed villains. I think it's time to move on. Using rehashed villains, especially Freeza, makes the new power ups seem weak.

I really need to watch all the movies again. I can't with confidence say which one I think is the worst, although I have watched movies 4 and 10 only once. The others have at least gotten watched twice.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:37 pm

They needed a transformation strong enough so that Freeza could be absent and still improve upon it for his comeback at a later time. I'm talking about the Golden one, his meditation in Hell and the Tournament of Power, respectively. What's left to figure out is whether Toriyama already had plans for him or not, but his presence in Resurrection of F works in hindsight, because how would they improve Freeza from Namek? The Majin Boo arc has also left something behind to show up at a later time and that was the fatso. I prefer this approach to the power creep that left characters severely behind.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 pm

As much as I hate RF, I’ll admit that the idea of Freeza becoming so incredibly strong from just a few months of training isn’t really a problem in the grand scheme of things. I thought it was pretty stupid back when the movie first came out, but the more I think about it, it was probably the least of the movie’s problems. Power scaling in the Super era is already messy enough as it is, but Freeza being able to rival a Super Saiyan Blue at least had the explanation of Freeza having never trained a day in his life in the past.

Granted, Freeza having so much untapped power does kind of cheapen the impact behind his fear of the Super Saiyan transformation, and it’s pretty damn convenient that Freeza trained just long enough to be able to match Goku and Vegeta post-Godhood, but not long enough to be able to actually defeat them, but that’s Dragon Ball for you

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm

The idea that Freeza never trained is actually a pretty cool angle and I can buy the idea that he would become exceedingly strong "debasing" himself with training. Frankly, I don't understand the exceptional hate for RoF. It's sitting at the bottom of the pile with a handful of other DB movies, but I don't see what makes it worse than M10 for example.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pmFrankly, I don't understand the exceptional hate for RoF.
My two main issues with it are:

1.) Toriyama and Toei have brought back Freeza many times - Mecha Freeza, Otherworld tournament, that video game movie, Fusion Reborn and GT.
2.) Once it is revealed that Goku and Vegeta are stronger than Freeza, there isn't much of a feeling of a threat.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 am

I think the writing in Resurrection F is incredibly underrated. There's some decent banter and characterisation, plus the jokes are on point. And it felt like it was trying, which is more than can be said for even the best of the old Z movies, which were incredibly formulaic. All of its flaws can be traced back to bad direction, and Toriyama's more ideas just not being right for the medium.

Constantly interrupting the fight with banter from Beerus and Whis, and ending with Goku and Vegeta screwing up, fixing the mistake after a rewind and then admitting they *won't* learn anything from it (do you think having Gogeta in the next movie was his idea, or another Toei/Toyo suggestion ala Vegetto in Future Trunks?) probably looked good on the page, but didn't translate well to a movie, especially with Yamamuro in the director's chair.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm The idea that Freeza never trained is actually a pretty cool angle and I can buy the idea that he would become exceedingly strong "debasing" himself with training. Frankly, I don't understand the exceptional hate for RoF. It's sitting at the bottom of the pile with a handful of other DB movies, but I don't see what makes it worse than M10 for example.
Movie 10 has an interesting pair -up of characters (who's interactions are fun to watch all these years later), fantastic new music which was contributed to the series, looks outstanding (even compared to other Z movies), has a pretty iconic finish, is practically Goku-less (something only movies 9/10 can say), and was animated by the staff at the top of their game. It has some pretty cool fight choreography too (though it has this annoying problem of cutting between actions a lot instead of letting them play out).
Movie 10 isn't my favourite movie, I wouldn't even put it in my top 5, but it has many elements which make it a more interesting film to sit down and watch than RoF.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:09 am

Rory wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm The idea that Freeza never trained is actually a pretty cool angle and I can buy the idea that he would become exceedingly strong "debasing" himself with training. Frankly, I don't understand the exceptional hate for RoF. It's sitting at the bottom of the pile with a handful of other DB movies, but I don't see what makes it worse than M10 for example.
Movie 10 has an interesting pair -up of characters (who's interactions are fun to watch all these years later), fantastic new music which was contributed to the series, looks outstanding (even compared to other Z movies), has a pretty iconic finish, is practically Goku-less (something only movies 9/10 can say), and was animated by the staff at the top of their game. It has some pretty cool fight choreography too (though it has this annoying problem of cutting between actions a lot instead of letting them play out).
Movie 10 isn't my favourite movie, I wouldn't even put it in my top 5, but it has many elements which make it a more interesting film to sit down and watch than RoF.
I like the way u described M10. I personally find M10 to be artististically the most solid DBZ film. My only wish was that Broly was given more dialogues & more characters like Roshi, Oolong, Puer, Krillin into Goten, Trunks & Pan trio as it would've been laughter-riot for sure

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 am

The only thing going for M10 is its animation, which is excellent as you said, as it's possibly the most consistently on-model DB film ever produced and otherwise looks very fluid and is gorgeously colored.

Everything else is just awful.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 am

Movie 10 is the one movie I can watch multiple times and still not recall a single goddamn this about it. It's bad enough that I already don't like Goten and Trunks to begin with but sheesh. The only thing it has going for it is the animation and the Krillin/Piccolo gag. And drill Sergeant Goku at the end is pretty hilarious.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm

As much as I don’t care for Movie 10, it at least knew not to drag out its paper thin premise any longer than it needed to be. Also, it at least had something resembling tension in it.