Do the DBZ Season Set Blu-rays use the original broadcast audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Do the DBZ Season Set Blu-rays use the original broadcast audio?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 am

I went over this in the 30th Blu-ray thread, but I've decided to just go ahead and purchase the DBZ Blu-rays as they are cheaper than me searching far and wide for the singles or even the extremely expensive Dragon Boxes. I just have to accept I wasn't one of the lucky ones who was able to secure them back in 2009-2011. Funimation also doesn't seem like they intend to ever put out an affordable 4:3 w/grain and no oversaturation version of DBZ - and life's way too short to wait for them to do so without ever officially owning my favorite anime. I'll just turn off my Kanzenshuu mindset and go back to casual fan mindset that the majority of DB fans in America have and just watch DBZ to watch DBZ. I've also seen many fans on YT satisfied with their DBZ Blu-rays in their unboxings. Of course, they're not Kanzenshuu fans but that's besides the point.

Anyway, I was watching a Geekdom101 vid about versions of DBZ to own and unless I misheard him, it sounded like he said Kei17's recorded broadcast audio is on the Blu-rays. I doubt this is true (not even sure Kei17 had the whole series or not with the broadcast audio) and I probably misunderstood it, but I still would like to know if it's true or not. If so, it would at least make it somewhat more of a worthwhile purchase over the Dragon Boxes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do the DBZ Season Set Blu-rays use the original broadcast audio?

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 am

mecha3000 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 am I went over this in the 30th Blu-ray thread, but I've decided to just go ahead and purchase the DBZ Blu-rays as they are cheaper than me searching far and wide for the singles or even the extremely expensive Dragon Boxes. I just have to accept I wasn't one of the lucky ones who was able to secure them back in 2009-2011. Funimation also doesn't seem like they intend to ever put out an affordable 4:3 w/grain and no oversaturation version of DBZ - and life's way too short to wait for them to do so without ever officially owning my favorite anime. I'll just turn off my Kanzenshuu mindset and go back to casual fan mindset that the majority of DB fans in America have and just watch DBZ to watch DBZ. I've also seen many fans on YT satisfied with their DBZ Blu-rays in their unboxings. Of course, they're not Kanzenshuu fans but that's besides the point.

Anyway, I was watching a Geekdom101 vid about versions of DBZ to own and unless I misheard him, it sounded like he said Kei17's recorded broadcast audio is on the Blu-rays. I doubt this is true (not even sure Kei17 had the whole series or not with the broadcast audio) and I probably misunderstood it, but I still would like to know if it's true or not. If so, it would at least make it somewhat more of a worthwhile purchase over the Dragon Boxes.
Of course not.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 am
mecha3000 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 am I went over this in the 30th Blu-ray thread, but I've decided to just go ahead and purchase the DBZ Blu-rays as they are cheaper than me searching far and wide for the singles or even the extremely expensive Dragon Boxes. I just have to accept I wasn't one of the lucky ones who was able to secure them back in 2009-2011. Funimation also doesn't seem like they intend to ever put out an affordable 4:3 w/grain and no oversaturation version of DBZ - and life's way too short to wait for them to do so without ever officially owning my favorite anime. I'll just turn off my Kanzenshuu mindset and go back to casual fan mindset that the majority of DB fans in America have and just watch DBZ to watch DBZ. I've also seen many fans on YT satisfied with their DBZ Blu-rays in their unboxings. Of course, they're not Kanzenshuu fans but that's besides the point.

Of course not.
Care to elaborate? No, but seriously - I guess I just misunderstood Geekdom in his video. Still, I've heard the Blu-rays at least have better audio for the original Japanese version than the Dragon Boxes.

Is that at least true?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am

yeah, there's a slight remastering on them, it's not a very big difference and it still sounds far from great, but it does sound a bit better, in my opinion at least. Ajay has a pretty good and really informative video on the subject.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:41 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am yeah, there's a slight remastering on them, it's not a very big difference and it still sounds far from great, but it does sound a bit better, in my opinion at least. Ajay has a pretty good and really informative video on the subject.
Thanks for giving me an elaborate answer. Anyway, yeah I saw that vid already and think it sucks we don't have the original audio. Looks like both Funi and Toei mess up the releases to be honest.

Just curious though, would you recommend the Blu-rays for someone who can't access the superior Dragon Box?

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:59 am

mecha3000 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:41 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 am yeah, there's a slight remastering on them, it's not a very big difference and it still sounds far from great, but it does sound a bit better, in my opinion at least. Ajay has a pretty good and really informative video on the subject.
Thanks for giving me an elaborate answer. Anyway, yeah I saw that vid already and think it sucks we don't have the original audio. Looks like both Funi and Toei mess up the releases to be honest.

Just curious though, would you recommend the Blu-rays for someone who can't access the superior Dragon Box?
I would not. Unless you're not bothered by the 16:9 crop or the overall blurry picture and colours.
At this point i'd wait a few months until the Spain blurays with the small hope that they will be good.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:48 am

You didn't misunderstand him, he just made a mistake in that particular video.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Ajay wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:48 am You didn't misunderstand him, he just made a mistake in that particular video.
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Does anyone think we'll ever get an official release with the broadcast audio despite Toei's stubbornness?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:58 am

In the leadup to the season BDs, there was interest in getting the broadcast audio and putting it on there, as I recall. But things fell through, and it didn't get on there.

Funimation were eventually given the audio about three years ago (and to this day, there's still bits and pieces that get found and sent along from time to time), but there appears to be no plans for them to use any of it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that Toei would allow a foreign country to put out a release with the broadcast audio before they themselves do so domestically. I'm pretty sure it's out of Funi's hands.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:58 am In the leadup to the season BDs, there was interest in getting the broadcast audio and putting it on there, as I recall. But things fell through, and it didn't get on there.

Funimation were eventually given the audio about three years ago (and to this day, there's still bits and pieces that get found and sent along from time to time), but there appears to be no plans for them to use any of it.
Also worth noting Sabat said that the broadcast audio, or more specifically the recordings of it may not be deemed legal, so even if Funimation wanted to use it for a release TOEI may not approve.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Didn't Toei wipe their masters after the show ended? I feel like I read this somewhere, that's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Unless they didn't think the show would ever come to VHS/DVD later on or become popular outside of Japan.

I also heard something about Optical audio on the film.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm Didn't Toei wipe their masters after the show ended? I feel like I read this somewhere, that's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Unless they didn't think the show would ever come to VHS/DVD later on or become popular outside of Japan.

Yeah they did, tho to be fair they did it for every show of that era. Audio masters for 300+episodes consume a lot of space to store and up until late 90s there wasnt any serious intent for a proper quality release where of course by then everything was gone/resused for other shows.
Every dragon ball release use the low fidelity optical audio on the film.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 pm

jaisonas wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 am
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm Didn't Toei wipe their masters after the show ended? I feel like I read this somewhere, that's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Unless they didn't think the show would ever come to VHS/DVD later on or become popular outside of Japan.

Yeah they did, tho to be fair they did it for every show of that era. Audio masters for 300+episodes consume a lot of space to store and up until late 90s there wasnt any serious intent for a proper quality release where of course by then everything was gone/resused for other shows.
Every dragon ball release use the low fidelity optical audio on the film.
If the original is gone, how is it someone sent Chris Sabbat the audio? Or claims to have.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 pm

If the original is gone, how is it someone sent Chris Sabbat the audio? Or claims to have.
Someone recorded the tv broadcast as it aired.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that Toei would allow a foreign country to put out a release with the broadcast audio before they themselves do so domestically. I'm pretty sure it's out of Funi's hands.
Toei have never shown any indication that they even remotely care about this kind of thing.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:06 pm Also worth noting Sabat said that the broadcast audio, or more specifically the recordings of it may not be deemed legal, so even if Funimation wanted to use it for a release TOEI may not approve.
Can I get a source on that? Pretty sure I never heard him say that.
Tylerman29 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Someone recorded the tv broadcast as it aired.
Several someones, in fact.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm Toei have never shown any indication that they even remotely care about this kind of thing.
Off-topic: I feel like this is the lesson we've been learning this year.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm Toei have never shown any indication that they even remotely care about this kind of thing.
Off-topic: I feel like this is the lesson we've been learning this year.
Yeah. If there is any lesson to be learned from the past ~year of Dragon Ball, it's that Toei don't give a single crap.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 am

I wonder if the BA for the Original Dragon Ball exists? I believe it does for the first episode and if it exists for the first episode, its pretty safe to assume that it does for the rest of the series as well. I wonder why it hasn't been found for the entire series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:27 am

VDenter wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 am I wonder if the BA for the Original Dragon Ball exists? I believe it does for the first episode and if it exists for the first episode, its pretty safe to assume that it does for the rest of the series as well. I wonder why it hasn't been found for the entire series.
There are reasons that aren't really any use of telling. But I can say there's select episodes here and there. So there's more than episode 1 online.