Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 am

ABED wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 am What makes you think we aren't? I also feel like people are assuming we don't have experience with this issue simply because we don't agree.
I mean, I agree with your logic. Adolf Hitler is worse than Vic Mignogna, for obvious reasons.

It's also frustrating, when you're making what you think is a logical point, only for the emotional person to lash out and call you a "bigot", or some other awful name. My first instinct, when confronted with that, was to double down and keep arguing. I didn't want their emotions to tell me what was, and wasn't, right for me to say.

But... I accomplished nothing. Not only did I hurt them, but I also found they had a point after all. I found myself wishing they hadn't been so quick to resort to the name-calling... But that's all shit you can work out after a few days, anyway.

Do as you please, but...

EDIT: Look, here's what I mean. This is me totally screwing up, making the same mistakes I'm cautioning you against...

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1178 ... 32544?s=20

I mean, I was wrong about several of the key points I was arguing anyway (mainly about trans-women having a size & weight advantage over cis-women, therefore being able to rape them more effectively... when it's actually the opposite), but, this whole thing's still reminding me of that.

I hurt Kendamu pretty bad, at any rate. We made up, of course, but still...
Last edited by Fionordequester on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Composer" Shuky Levy accused of attempted murder by Sarah Brown

Post by jelleline89 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 am

There is no question that murder and sexual assault are heinous crimes and neither should go unpunished, but I do lean towards murder being a level above sexual assault simply because you are not only hurting someone's body but completely taking away their existence in the process. I am in no way trying to minimize the severities of sexual assault, but it's hard to put it above straight up murder. Sorry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out Shuki Levy stole the X-Men opening from an Hungarian show called Linda. Holy Shit!

https://www.tmz.com/2019/10/09/marvel-s ... -hungarian
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 am Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out Shuki Levy stole the X-Men opening from an Hungarian show called Linda. Holy Shit!

Ron Wasserman composed the X-Men theme

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 am Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out Shuki Levy stole the X-Men opening from an Hungarian show called Linda. Holy Shit!

Eh... Are they that similar, though? I can hear the first part, but, the 2nd halves are pretty different. That, and the X-Men theme is significantly more intense, and high energy.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 am

Well is Koji Kondo can get away with copying 60s jazz tunes...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 am

Ron Wasserman composed the X-Men theme
I know he did. But I'm for the first time GLAD he stole the credit from Ron because now HE'S the one in trouble.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:53 am

According to a Spanish news portal, this Zoltán Krisko guy alleged that some of the staff of Linda were involved in both the former and X-Men:
Mientras que la serie Linda disfrutó de su debut en el año 1984 en Hungría, la serie de los X-Men se estrenó un poco más tarde, en el año 1992. Tal y como asegura Krisko, hubo personal que trabajó en la serie de Marvel que estuvo vinculada igualmente a la serie policíaca ochentera, en base a las colaboraciones que existían por aquel entonces.
Translation:
While the Linda TV series enjoyed its debut in 1984 in Hungary, the X-Men TV series was premiered a little later, in 1992. And just as Krisko claims, there was staff that worked in the Marvel series that was also involved in the 80s cop tv series, due to the collaborations that existed back then.

De esta forma, la denuncia de Krisko acusa a Haim Saban de Saban Entertainment y a los compositores Ronald Wasserman y Shuki Levy de haber estado "en contacto" con los "profesionales húngaros" que trabajaban en la industria cinematográfica. A su vez, aseveran: "Conocían los exitosos trabajos animados en los estudios Pannonia en Hungría, donde solían encontrarse profesionales locales, como [el compositor] Gyorgy Vukan.
Translation:
In this way, Krisko's report accuses Saban Entertainment's Haim Saban and composers Ronald Wasserman and Shuki Levy of having been "in contact" with the "Hungarian professionals" who worked in the cinematographic industry. And in turn, he affirms "They knew the successful animated works in the Pannonia studios in Hungary, where they used to meet with local professionals, like [the composer] Gyorgy Vukan.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am

I’m surprised it took this long for them to get in any kind of trouble with that theme. The X-Men theme also sounds similar to the Whitney Houston song I’m Your Baby Tonight and the Rod Stewart song Crazy About Her.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm sure a lot of people would gladly choose death over rape. Death isn't the end all be all. Like dying with your dignity still intact is really preferable over being raped.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 pm Death isn't the end all be all.
Being an atheist, I respectfully disagree. I have this life and only this life. As awful as rape is, and as long as it takes for someone to heal from that experience, as long as they are above ground, there's always a chance of healing and eventually finding happiness. There are fates worse than death, but those are extreme, like torture, debilitating illness, and incarceration where you might as well be dead.

Back to Sarah Brown's situation, is it a case of lack of proper enforcement of existing laws that allow crap like this to happen for so long or something else?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:18 pm

With murder, suffering isn't promised.

Sexual assault or rape guarantees suffering... then the culprit might try and kill you anyways.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Lovelies, listen. Don't. Just. Do. Not. It's not a competition, neither has to be worse than the other. There's no ranking system here. Both are terrible and that is all that matters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 pm

I think you'd be surprised by people's ability to recover from trauma. A high school friend of mine was horribly beaten by his next door neighbor/bully. He had to be hospitalized with a cracked rib, needed dental work, his orbital bone was cracked, and his vision in his left eye is permanently damaged. He suffered from PTSD for a while and had to undergo psychotherapy, and yet after all that, he's healed and now has a family of his own. I'm sure there were moments he would've wanted to die, but he didn't take his own life and he's the better for it because he had the chance. I am in no way diminishing what trauma does to people (and their loved ones) but while there might not be suffering in death, it's permanent and the people they leave behind do suffer. I think that's something that gets lost here - the loved ones who deal with the aftermath.

I can't begin to imagine the horror Sarah dealt/deals with. I read a few previous comments she made about not having good memories of her time working for Saban, but this worse than I could've imagined.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Apparntly, a track from The Empire Strikes Back was copied and used in an old sci-fi anime called Ulysses 31. While Levy himself apparently didn't "compose" the track in question, he and the rest at Saban were definitely involved in the show.

Apparently, a track from The Empire Strikes Back was copied and used in an old sci-fi anime called Ulysses 31. While Levy himself apparently didn't "compose" the track in question, he and the rest at Saban were definitely involved in the show. This has long since been settled in court, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_3 ... fringement
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:11 pm Apparently, a track from The Empire Strikes Back was copied and used in an old sci-fi anime called Ulysses 31. While Levy himself apparently didn't "compose" the track in question, he and the rest at Saban were definitely involved in the show. This has long since been settled in court, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_3 ... fringement
I’m not a musician, but I do have to wonder how it’s even possible to compose music without getting hit with accusations of plagiarism, whether it’s intentional or not. How is one supposed to compose copyright friendly music these days?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:26 pm

What in God's name? Is this real? He composed some of my favourite TV tunes (He-Man, Inspector Gadget, Mysterious Cities of Gold)!

People are full of surprises, both good and bad. :shock:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Well, it's as the old saying goes...

"Good musicians copy. Great musicians steal."

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 am It's crazy how the people behind the English dub for Dragon Ball often turned out to be such disturbed individuals.

First we have Bruce Falconer the credit-stealing hack.

Then we have Sean Schemmel and his hilariously fragile ego.

Vic Mignogna and his fiendish ways.

Now the composer for the Ocean dub is supposedly an attempted murderer?!

What's next... Christopher Sabat being the leader of a sex cult?
Are we certain that Faulconer is really a “credit stealing hack”?I’m aware that a composer who worked on the DBZ dub posted on the FUNimation forums some years back and talked about this at some length, but aside from what he said, do we have any other evidence of this assertion? I understand that Faulconer was the lead guy and that other people worked under him and made music too, and that it would be disingenuous to suggest that Faulconer alone made all the soundtracks. But to say he’s a straight up credit stealing hack is a bit strong, isn’t it?

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 am
ABED wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 am What makes you think we aren't? I also feel like people are assuming we don't have experience with this issue simply because we don't agree.
I mean, I agree with your logic. Adolf Hitler is worse than Vic Mignogna, for obvious reasons.

It's also frustrating, when you're making what you think is a logical point, only for the emotional person to lash out and call you a "bigot", or some other awful name. My first instinct, when confronted with that, was to double down and keep arguing. I didn't want their emotions to tell me what was, and wasn't, right for me to say.

But... I accomplished nothing. Not only did I hurt them, but I also found they had a point after all. I found myself wishing they hadn't been so quick to resort to the name-calling... But that's all shit you can work out after a few days, anyway.

Do as you please, but...

EDIT: Look, here's what I mean. This is me totally screwing up, making the same mistakes I'm cautioning you against...

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1178 ... 32544?s=20

I mean, I was wrong about several of the key points I was arguing anyway (mainly about trans-women having a size & weight advantage over cis-women, therefore being able to rape them more effectively... when it's actually the opposite), but, this whole thing's still reminding me of that.

I hurt Kendamu pretty bad, at any rate. We made up, of course, but still...
Huh? Are you arguing that males don’t have a size and weight advantage over females? They definitely do. And yikes. It’s definitely reasonable to be against putting male and female inmates in the same prisons. I’m not even sure why that was brought up in this thread.