You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Dragon Ball should be public domain. This way anyone can create the works they like based off of it to fulfill their creative desires.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Obviously end it. Super and all this continuation material didn't need to exist. The quality isn't good and i would rather DB end permanently than see it's undead corpse be continually defiled.

Assuming that isn't an option and DB for whatever reason has to continue, then the next best thing is getting some competent writers who show that they completely understand what made the original manga good. Also change the soundtrack that Super has, which is awful and replace it with something much closer to Kikuchi in spirit. I would say change the animation and art style but the new Broli movie already did that and it looks great.

Beyond that i would make sure that DB,DBZ and GT get a proper 1080p/4K remaster with no DNR or Widescreen. It would include The Next Episode previews and the Original Broadcast Audio, and of course the original JP title cards. All properly remastered with appropriate color correction. So that it doesn't suffer from any color inaccuracies that the Dragon Boxes suffer from.

Release the Kanzenban the entire color DB manga globally and fix any translation issues that plague the current Manga releases.

Stop allowing cash grab DB game that aren't anywhere near the quality of Dragon Ball FighterZ quality at least, to exist.

Oh and strip Funimation of the DB licence. Give it to some other company that is capable a brand new English dub that is faithful to the source without crapping out midway through. With the exception of Chris Ayres and maybe Colleen Clinkenbeard, replace EVERY single voice actor that dubs Dragon Ball currently.

No more dub spellings like "Frieza" or "Tien" or terms like "DESTRUCTO DISK" Just GONE completely never to be seen again in any future release.

All of this would make me pretty happy with the franchise but it's a pipe dream that any of this will ever happen.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 pm

VDenter wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pmStop allowing cash grab DB game that aren't anywhere near the quality of Dragon Ball FighterZ quality at least, to exist.
I honestly disagree, because the "lesser" (so to speak) games have their charm, and I enjoy having multiple options of using my favorite characters, instead of just in one, 2.5D Online-focused style. Different strokes for different folks, but if there's one thing I love about DB franchise, it's the massive pool of content to choose from.

If I were in charge, I would improve upon it. Not end, that would be boring. DBS would be kept, but I'd start from ordering to reanimate the manga while incorporating some anime elements, making one true canon continuation.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 pm
VDenter wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pmStop allowing cash grab DB game that aren't anywhere near the quality of Dragon Ball FighterZ quality at least, to exist.
I honestly disagree, because the "lesser" (so to speak) games have their charm, and I enjoy having multiple options of using my favorite characters, instead of just in one, 2.5D Online-focused style. Different strokes for different folks, but if there's one thing I love about DB franchise, it's the massive pool of content to choose from.

If I were in charge, I would improve upon it. Not end, that would be boring. DBS would be kept, but I'd start from ordering to reanimate the manga while incorporating some anime elements, making one true canon continuation.
I didn't mean they should only make fighting games. They can make it be any genre. I just want the quality to be good. If they want to make a Dragon Ball RPG game for example, then that's completely fine but it needs to be great and not just half assed across the board.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:10 pm

VDenter wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm the next best thing is getting some competent writers who show that they completely understand what made the original manga good.
Easier said than done. Much of what makes anything good is right time, right place, right talent, and lightning in a bottle.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Put it down like Old Yeller.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Dragon Ball should be public domain. This way anyone can create the works they like based off of it to fulfill their creative desires.
Get ready for Dragon Ball AF with Goku blowing up the omniverse with 0% at his power at UI SSGjSSj800 if that happens :lol: :P
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:27 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Dragon Ball should be public domain. This way anyone can create the works they like based off of it to fulfill their creative desires.
Get ready for Dragon Ball AF with Goku blowing up the omniverse with 0% at his power at UI SSGjSSj800 if that happens :lol: :P
Right after I put out my Kuririn and #18 romance film where he asks Whis to take them to a nice resort planet for her birthday but Gokuu and friends tag along, stifling Kuririn's attempts at a nice, quiet romantic getaway with his wife. Or my remake of the Tournament of Power where Hot Mama-san Videl entering the Tournament of Power in Gohan's place because he's busy with work and Chi-Chi enters in Tenshinhan's place to spend more time with Gokuu.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:53 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 pm I’ve seen people say that they wish FUNimation would’ve completely wiped their slate clean with Kai and recast every single character, and I never understood that line of thinking. For one, they obviously weren’t going to get rid of Chris Sabat. He’s a major part of FUNimation. Hell, he’s a casting and voice director there. Why would they get rid of him? Just because he was part of a less than stellar dub in the past?

The idea that FUNimation should’ve recast most if not everyone from the old dub, including the ones that were well received, like Chris Rager as Mr. Satan, Dameon Clarke as Cell, or Chuck Huber as #17, is kind of ridiculous. I know the dub of Z left a sour taste in people’s mouths, but does that seriously mean that all the people who were associated with it deserve the boot?
to be fair, most of the takes i've seen with how funi should've handled kai's recasting is that every role should've been open for recasting, not that everyone should've been recasted.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm

kei17 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm -Fire Toyotaro
You don't like Toyotaro? Interesting. Is it because of you don't find his art-style appealing or is it to do with his storytelling. Just curious.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 am

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am Sure, the stakes aren't life and death, but the point still stands, letting "fans" be in charge is not good for the story. The fan will win out over the creative. Look at Star Wars. It's watched by nearly everyone, but few seem to really understand the core of the story or how subversive Star Wars is at its core. They get caught up in the trappings like "the force, lightsabers, and the Millenium Falcon" but forget how weird Star Wars is and how it's supposed to be different. It's why you get The Force Awakens being almost a shot for shot remake of A New Hope. It gives the appearance of being Star Wars, but doesn't get what it is at its core and how it's supposed to subvert expectations not remind you of the thing you loved from before ('memba the Death Star!? Yeah, I 'memba!). The same thing applies to modern DB. It looks like DB, but it's not. For one, being a inbetequel inherently prevents it from doing one of the things that makes DB special - progressing.
So you are telling me that fan can't be creative and give stories to a Franchise ? Interesting are you not too much pretentious by saying that ? As for Star Wars the only movie in recent era that rubbed me off the wrong way is still episode VIII.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 am

Kinda. Fans can be very creative, but I don't trust fans to write compelling stories that have Toriyama's voice. Call that POV pretentious, but I've read plenty of fanfic to see that while creative, always feel off. They lack the voice of the original author.
As for Star Wars the only movie in recent era that rubbed me off the wrong way is still episode VIII.
And yet it's the one Star Wars movie in recent memory that actually felt like Star Wars, or at least the closest to what Star Wars is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am

At least it's hard for me to stay invested in Dragon Ball without anime.
I continue to follow the manga, but Dragon Ball, that just includes animation.
That was and is the core product of the franchise.

Super 1 was a success due to the nostalgia factor. But in the end it was not what most fans had hoped for. I myself have remained relatively positive, because the second part of Super was a lot better than the first part. Broly was even better. Writing also got better with the Moro-arc. Now they could give something with Super 2 that the fans have been waiting for and that combines two improvements into a well-written, well-animated series.

If they did choose to go for a movie formula, I hope that the pieces between the films are translated in the form of OVAs or specials. And that in this way we get something of decent content in the waiting period between the films.
I would be disappointed if they continue to milk the franchise without investing as much as possible in the main product. For me, Dragon Ball Super does not have to last forever, but a second run in length comparable to the first (100 - 150 episodes) with improved animation and storytelling would be allowed. It's a matter of getting the maximum out of the revival.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:37 pm

I'd definitely push for a one year buffer of episodes to maintain a strong production schedule for the next animated series. Pocket Monster usually has three to five months so I think it would be cool to see how the quality could be high if Dragon Ball could finish production on episodes a year before broadcast.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:49 am

Make Dragon Ball Super a seasonal anime running for two cours a year. Release a new canon movie every couple of years. Keep Naohiro Shintani's designs.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:07 am

I would make a movie neatly connecting events with the EoZ, then a series continuing after it

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 am

Yes, I agree. Let's promote leeching of other people's work instead of using our own creativity to come up with new ideas and designs!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:07 am

Jord wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 am
Yes, I agree. Let's promote leeching of other people's work instead of using our own creativity to come up with new ideas and designs!
Decentralization of media by more swiftly entering it into the public domain will prevent corporations from amassing the wealth of the working-class in the hands of monopolies. The public domain creates competition and promotes creativity.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm

And how has keeping DB out of the public domain hindered its creativity and quality?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:28 pm

believe that if you are being given the opportunity of "You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball"
if you answer is to give it an ending. really? :lolno:
it sounds very lazy and sad that
isn't your duty supposed to be keep the series alive to not to be forgotten over time to compete other current series? :think: