You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11 am

I definitely want to ask Tomioka Atsuhiro to write a more fleshed out version of Super Dragon Ball Heroes. I feel like there's a lot of weird shit getting in the way of him really turning out his best scripts. Maybe it's Bandai or maybe it's Yamamuro being a weirdo? Either way, I want to give him a series to really outdo himself.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:21 am

kei17 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:16 pm -Produce a complete soundtrack release of the Kikuchi score
-Produce a definiteve Blu-ray release of the old TV series
These so god damn much. There are great unreleased soundtracks from around the Red ribbon saga which need to be released.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:01 am

Super is an alternate dimension thing that we never talk about again, similar to GT.

Strike all "God" nonsense from the record.
Have Frieza and his family come back as a very consequential threat with very serious, very final repercussions.
Actually develop Vegeta and Goku's relationship past this one dimensional goop that we currently see.
Reintroduce Beerus has a cosmic force of nature.

That'd be a good start.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 pm

In charge of the whole franchise eh? I'd sunset the property after making an anime version of the current manga arc. We've had a few cool moments but overall I feel like this revival has actually been bad for the series. That said I'd take merchandising in bold new directions before pulling the plug for good. Piccolo oven mitts, here I come!

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 am

I'd like to add that I will make also several fanmanga official and or canon such as:
  • Dragon Ball Super: Yamoshi from Darkboom
  • Dragon Ball Z: Elsewhere's from RMK
  • Dragon Ball AF from Toyotaro that will also receive an anime adaptation and be oversee by Toyotaro himself anime made by Sunrise
  • Dragon Ball Bardock After from Youngjijii
  • Dragon Ball Multiverse ? Maybe
As for videogames I would greenlit the production of Dragon Ball Raging Blast 3 project by Treevax and make him overseeing this project since it's his baby allowing him as much as he needs time to make it happen.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 am I'd like to add that I will make also several fanmanga official and or canon such as:
Oh dear lord NO! That way lies madness.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 am

Reboot the main story with my changes, while still having all the sidestories part of the franchise.
I would also order the production of new live action movies and see, if it's feasible.
Otherwise keep making the toys and games coming and hope the sucess continues.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 am

ABED wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 am I'd like to add that I will make also several fanmanga official and or canon such as:
Madness no this is ..... :mrgreen:

Well in a more serious note I think there are Fanmanga out there worth being part of the official Dragon Ball Franchise. Besides one of my pic would be only logical given that the author is now a full fledged artist who works for Shueisha so at least HIS Dragon Ball Af should be made an official continuity to Dragon Ball GT.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 pm Delete Dragon Ball Minus from existence
I second this.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 pm Delete Dragon Ball Minus from existence
I second this.
Would you delete Dragon Ball Super Broly as well, or just edit the first part of it?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I would:
- Bring back Dragon Ball on air as a weekly TV show, with Naohiro Shintani as character designer, keeping Broly’s movie lineart filter and colors.
This show would be set after the end of the manga, with stories written by Toriyama who I would make more involved in the writing.
To keep Super as the midquel show, I would either ask Toriyama to come up with a new name or use Dragon Ball Z.
- I would have Toei make a new movie each year, set in-between the TV show’s main arcs with Toriyama designing the character and supervising the plot to market them as canonical movies.
The character designer of these movies would change with each movie, to make each visually distinct.
- I would also have Toei do some grittier character-focused TV specials without Goku or the rest of the main cast, like they did back in the day with Future Trunks and Bardock. These could be about Hit, Jiren, Super’s Future Trunks, Minus’ Bardock, Broly’s past on Sadala, King Vegeta, Yamoshi, U6 Saiyans etcetera.
These specials would air at night and would be marketed towards a older audience, so there would be blood and more mature content.
- Toyotaro would keep working on the manga, but the writing would be following the anime’s scripts closer, so as to keep a defined continuity of the events.
- Yamamuro would keep working on animating commercials.
- Dragon Garow Lee would be hired to work on spin-off mangas similar to the Yamcha one he did.
- Naho Ooishi would start working on a Dragon Ball Legends manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 am
ABED wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am

Well in a more serious note I think there are Fanmanga out there worth being part of the official Dragon Ball Franchise. Besides one of my pic would be only logical given that the author is now a full fledged artist who works for Shueisha so at least HIS Dragon Ball Af should be made an official continuity to Dragon Ball GT.
No, no they aren't. It's like doctors letting patients diagnose and treat themselves.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:24 pm

I want to say that if I were in charge of the franchise, I’d give it some big Infinity War/
Endgame
or Crisis on Infinite Earths style finale, where all the universes have to work together to battle some big threat to the entire multiverse, but we already had two arcs where the fates of entire universes were on the line, and considering that Zen-Oh has been established as the single grandest being in the multiverse, the idea of there being some other threat out there that he somehow can’t deal with himself would be a stretch.

With that in mind, I’d probably just wrap up the series with a little mini-arc after the current manga arc. I guess the mini-arc in question would just be about Goku trying to regain Ultra Instinct so he could have one last fight with Beerus. Maybe the whole thing would also end with Vegeta training to obtain a higher level of power than Ultra Instinct, in order to maintain the idea that he and Goku are eternal rivals, who will always train to become stronger.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 pm

- Give a proper HD and uncut release for all of the anime TV series and movies
- Have an official sequel to the manga. A weekly manga would be preferable to ensure there is enough content for the anime adaptation.
- Oh, and speaking of the anime, keep Yamamuro FAAAARRR away from anything animation related, while placing Shintani in the role of Chief Animation Director
- Scrap the Dragon Ball Heroes manga. Seriously, there is nothing of value there.
- Retcon Dragon Ball Minus out of existence
- Recast 90% of the FUNimation English dub

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 pm

I think I forgot to mention that I would release every piece of the franchise into the public domain. Dragon Ball belongs to everyone at this point, everyone should enjoy Dragon Ball without corporations breathing down their neck over fan works.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 am

Bring back Hironobu Kageyama.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 pm - Recast 90% of the FUNimation English dub
:shock:

Which characters would you recast? I definitely think some could have been recast better since Kai but 90% sounds a bit extreme.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:19 am

emperior wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm I would:
- Bring back Dragon Ball on air as a weekly TV show, with Naohiro Shintani as character designer, keeping Broly’s movie lineart filter and colors.
This show would be set after the end of the manga, with stories written by Toriyama who I would make more involved in the writing.
To keep Super as the midquel show, I would either ask Toriyama to come up with a new name or use Dragon Ball Z.
- I would have Toei make a new movie each year, set in-between the TV show’s main arcs with Toriyama designing the character and supervising the plot to market them as canonical movies.
The character designer of these movies would change with each movie, to make each visually distinct.
- I would also have Toei do some grittier character-focused TV specials without Goku or the rest of the main cast, like they did back in the day with Future Trunks and Bardock. These could be about Hit, Jiren, Super’s Future Trunks, Minus’ Bardock, Broly’s past on Sadala, King Vegeta, Yamoshi, U6 Saiyans etcetera.
These specials would air at night and would be marketed towards a older audience, so there would be blood and more mature content.
- Toyotaro would keep working on the manga, but the writing would be following the anime’s scripts closer, so as to keep a defined continuity of the events.
- Yamamuro would keep working on animating commercials.
- Dragon Garow Lee would be hired to work on spin-off mangas similar to the Yamcha one he did.
- Naho Ooishi would start working on a Dragon Ball Legends manga.
I love your ideas man.
ABED wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 pm
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 am
ABED wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 am Oh dear lord NO! That way lies madness.

No, no they aren't. It's like doctors letting patients diagnose and treat themselves.
Well unlike a patient Dragon Ball is a non living things so no risk to see that dead lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am

Sure, the stakes aren't life and death, but the point still stands, letting "fans" be in charge is not good for the story. The fan will win out over the creative. Look at Star Wars. It's watched by nearly everyone, but few seem to really understand the core of the story or how subversive Star Wars is at its core. They get caught up in the trappings like "the force, lightsabers, and the Millenium Falcon" but forget how weird Star Wars is and how it's supposed to be different. It's why you get The Force Awakens being almost a shot for shot remake of A New Hope. It gives the appearance of being Star Wars, but doesn't get what it is at its core and how it's supposed to subvert expectations not remind you of the thing you loved from before ('memba the Death Star!? Yeah, I 'memba!). The same thing applies to modern DB. It looks like DB, but it's not. For one, being a inbetequel inherently prevents it from doing one of the things that makes DB special - progressing.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:57 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:41 pm - Recast 90% of the FUNimation English dub
:shock:

Which characters would you recast? I definitely think some could have been recast better since Kai but 90% sounds a bit extreme.
I’ve seen people say that they wish FUNimation would’ve completely wiped their slate clean with Kai and recast every single character, and I never understood that line of thinking. For one, they obviously weren’t going to get rid of Chris Sabat. He’s a major part of FUNimation. Hell, he’s a casting and voice director there. Why would they get rid of him? Just because he was part of a less than stellar dub in the past?

The idea that FUNimation should’ve recast most if not everyone from the old dub, including the ones that were well received, like Chris Rager as Mr. Satan, Dameon Clarke as Cell, or Chuck Huber as #17, is kind of ridiculous. I know the dub of Z left a sour taste in people’s mouths, but does that seriously mean that all the people who were associated with it deserve the boot?