You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:55 pm

I don't see how the masses clogging Dragon Ball with material that's mostly off tone and niche AT BEST will in anyway motivate Toei to make better material let alone help the franchise.

I'd rather creators who actually have professional quality resources make their own shit than beat the dead horse of a property that came from somebody else's brain, thank you very much.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Fanfic writers aren't competition for professionals. Putting the property into the public domain would not lead to great writing. The best you could hope for by putting it into the public domain is a Sherlock Holmes situation where there are several professionally made versions happening at almost the same time. Even that situation doesn't sound appealing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm Fanfic writers aren't competition for professionals. Putting the property into the public domain would not lead to great writing. The best you could hope for by putting it into the public domain is a Sherlock Holmes situation where there are several professionally made versions happening at almost the same time. Even that situation doesn't sound appealing.
1. I'm not a cop.
2. Fan fiction is not inherently bad.
3. I'm not a cop.
4. I'll consume whatever media I enjoy and ignore the rest.
5. Taking power from corporations and putting it into the hands of people is good.
6. I'm not a cop.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm Fanfic writers aren't competition for professionals. Putting the property into the public domain would not lead to great writing. The best you could hope for by putting it into the public domain is a Sherlock Holmes situation where there are several professionally made versions happening at almost the same time. Even that situation doesn't sound appealing.
1. I'm not a cop.
3. I'm not a cop.
5. Taking power from corporations and putting it into the hands of people is good.
6. I'm not a cop.
Is this really relevant when it comes to a children's cartoon about Kung-fu? Especially since the majority of the "people" would miss the mark and even the good ones would need resources better spent on their own stuff. Quality control exists for a reason. Dragon Ball doesn't need to be in the fans' hands. It doesn't even really need new content period after 1995.

We already have a problem with unoriginal rehashes this decade. Something like that would only multiply all of the rehashes, cannibalize original content, and produce tons of cynical, opportunistic schlock.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:57 pm

I'd say its a good idea that the entire franchise isn't in the hands of fans.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:52 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 pm
1. I'm not a cop.
3. I'm not a cop.
6. I'm not a cop.
What's with "I'm not a cop"? I don't see what that has to do with putting DB into public domain. Fanfic isn't 'inherently' bad, it just turns out that way. I've never read any good fanfic. If that's your thing, enjoy, but I'd rather not see DB devolve into that as a brand. I'm not going to touch the corporate power argument because that's a whole other can of worms.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:58 am

Make more mobile games with emphasis on microtransactions and a larger percentage of royalties.

Announce six more Broly movies, released simultaneously in Japan, North America, and Latin America.

Get Super back on the air just long enough to display a bunch of characters and transformations that can be made into video game unlockables and trading cards. Have the new Super be basically extended SDBH episodes with little plot to speak of and tons of bones thrown to long forgotten characters to drum up even more potential demand for even more unlockables.

Pocket millions of dollars.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 pm

My first order of business: make a remaster of this series that's actually worth being excited about. Do it using Toei's film masters, with corrections for the weird colors, and broadcast audio. I'll even let them do DNR on it, because with a first-gen master it's much less likely to come out looking like a smeary mess. Future-proof it by scanning it all at some ungodly huge resolution, and we're set. If I'm feeling fiscally responsible, we'll get Funimation and the other international licensees to help foot the bill.

Next, we sunset Super. Finish off whatever lingering storylines there are in the manga with a nice lead-in to the end of Z, adapt those into animated form, and take a bow. However, I don't think this should be the end.

Sure, we'll give DB a bit of a rest from the public eye, but I think there's still some stories to be told. I say we go experimental, and allow some new voices in. Find creators from around the globe who love Dragon Ball and want to work with it, let them at it with minimal restrictions, and see what we get. Will some of the results be crap? Most likely. Will some of it be great? Hopefully. And if Toriyama still wants to make something, we'll give him the space and time to do it on his own terms.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm

That's really amazing to see everyone discussing on this topic, I love how creative everyone are about it. It's make my heart fan warm to see most of you passionate about Dragon Ball I am happy.

In fact for a while I realize why Dragon Ball still passionate so much the crowds. When I see fellow french youtubers like DBTimes or theChefOtaku or when I see people unravel Dragon Ball as does Totally Not Mark or when I see the WHAT IF MasakoX I realize the why of how this passion came to be.

Even this topic is no exception with or without fun troll you all have ideas on what you would like to improve / explore / see more about Dragon Ball.

The answer of this how is that Dragon Ball goes so much to the point of its story that it makes fans want to fill the holes left vacant.

On the contrary Naruto or see even One Piece has a solid Universe very solid, even that doesn't leave much room for maneuver fanfic compared to Dragon Ball. Take Kakashi for example you know almost everything about him whereas a Yamcha still remains largely unknown? Where he comes from ? Did he learn by himself his Wolf techniques or did someone trained him to do so ? How did the Sokidan came to be ? Again from a teacher or self taught ? How did he get his scars precisely what was the thing that made them ?

The shadow areas are legions in Dragon Ball where even Saint Seiya when you think about it has near less.

But please keep going on with your creatives idea it's really nice to read you all ♥
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:46 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:58 amPocket millions of dollars.
Scratch whatever I wrote.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:02 am

Purge GT from existance.

In seriousness, I'm generally very happy with the new material (with a few exceptions), so I'd probably just let everyone continue on as they were. I would, however, fast-track 2uper (within reason, don't want it to be rushed), because the fact that one of Toei's most profitable properties has been off the air for almost 2 years is embarrassing. I'd also get a proper HD remaster of the series done.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.