You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Imagine somehow one sweet morning you receive a call and the people at Shueisha wants you to be in charge of the whole Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

You are overseeing the franchise merchandising from Videogames to toy line, also you are in charge at how Toei deals with it and how the Franchise is dealt oversea. To summarize you are in charge of everything Dragon Ball related.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: You are put in charge of the entire Dragon Ball Franchise what you do ?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:14 pm

I would make any calls necessary to get the Ocean Kai dub out by tomorrow at latest

... on that one Funimation and Manga UK would be contacted to get the go-ahead for releasing the Westwood and Blue Water dubs, all they'd need to do would be sort the rest with Mediawan

OG DB, DBZ and GT would get a high quality HD remaster, which would be sent to distributors so they could all release Blu-Ray sets

I'd make as much effort to get the series on as many streaming services and TV channels as possible, in particular to showcase the new masters

I would promote new anime episodes, video games and movies more heavily on social media

The rest of the Daizenshuus and other guidebooks would get English translations
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Things i'd do:

-Erase DBS from existence (leaving only BoG movie)
-Take away DB license from FUNimation.
-Give SSJ to Pan
-Make DBZ Kakarot include story from original series as well as GT since this series never got good represantion of anything but Black Star saga in games
-Make GT movie. People would watch it for SSJ4 alone.
-Exclude DB minus from existence and accept "Bardock Father of Goku" as canon story
-Make some side stories, like about Saiyan vs Tuffles war
-Bring back Raditz in some way
-Make full series based on DBH stories
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Acknowledge it would be impossible for a single person to micromanage a mass media franchise exactly as I see fit.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pm

End it permanently

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pm End it permanently
This as well

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I would call someone else to deal with marketing and merchandising.

I would focus my attention on what's being produced and put story above all else.

Video-games would only be made as long as they present original stories.

Tournaments would only be made once in a while (like, after five sagas with a plot, then a tournament).

Would probably do stand-alones to explore other characters, similar to MCU.

Dragon Ball Online would return, one way or another.

No retellings of any kind at all.

The franchise would continue to not have a canon established, allowing people to consider whatever they want (specially because alternate dimension would be explored, rendering any debate about canonicity useless, as it already is).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Well, that's a huge responsibility. I don't think anyone can do this alone, but that's I would like to do:

I would try to convince Toriyama to put some elements of GT in the canon. GT itself is dispensable, but we can always use some things of the anime, making them better in the canonical version.

Talking about movies, I would try to improve the distribution overseas.

I would distribute all the obscure mangas online, for a small price. There's a lot of them that we fans barely know (DBSD, for example), it would be amazing if people in the entire world could read these manga.

I would try to make something like the Daizenshuu for DBS (anime, manga and movies).

I would develop Heroes (anime). The anime (and the whole non-canon franchise) have great potential, but IMO is really limited.

There's probably more, but that's what I can think right now.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:26 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm I would try to convince Toriyama to put some elements of GT in the canon. GT itself is dispensable, but we can always use some things of the anime, making them better in the canonical version.
But you are in charge. You can make it canon.

Anyway, I'm fully on board with ending the story. New video games and merch can be released, but the story is over. Let it rest.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Reboot it. Because that's the hip new thing to do these days.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 pm

I would also go with ending it permanently. I'm not a fan of the idea that a series should continue forever because it can make money and I believe every story should get an ending.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am

Non that there is a lot of interesting answer I'll go with mine.

My first move would be to establish a definitive canon that could be extended upon with new material. I will work along side Toriyama for validate the canon material. Toyotaro but also Dragon Garrow Lee and Naho Ohishi would be tasked to create new material for Dragon Ball either canon or non canon. I would hire YoungJijii for also making Dragon Ball stories and make canon his Dragon Ball: Bardock After.

I'll ask YoungJijii to make a manga Adaptation of Dragon Ball Legends and Naho Ohishi to work on Dragon Ball Fusions manga adaptation. Dragon Garrow Lee would join force with Toyotaro to make canon material stories helmed by Toriyama himself. Kazuhiko Torishima would be also in for being my advisor and serve as a seal of quality for all new material, I would also task him to train an apprentice for take over from his job when he can no longer perform it. I'll ask Masako Nosawa the same like that Goku will never be voiceless.

I would work along Toriyama to make, Cooler, Bebi & Hatchiyack, Ozotto and the SSJ4 canon and reput them in Dragon Ball. After adapting the Moro Arc into anime I will move forward the serie in the "GT Time period" new stuff will be made but also I'll take this opportunity to rework some idea and story arc from Dragon Ball GT as a sort of a remake.

Speaking of anime, I would contact Toei explaining that they will focus on only adapt the Dragon Ball canon material and will let them focus only on that. Whilst Namco Bandai with Sunrise will produce the spin off and non canon stories like Super Dragon Ball Heroes. Thus Sunrise will have a Dragon Ball department to work for non canon material for both the game and their anime.

I would formely demand to Tadayoshi Yamamuro to takes a paid vacation and whilst on vacation to expand his repertoire onto new series asking him to other stuff other than Dragon Ball as a mean to rejuvenate his skill. Making Yamamuro great again. Yamamuro would be then tasked to be in charge of all non canon material and spin off series for Sunrise, whilst Shintani will be at work in the main canon continuity for Toei.

As for video games I will ask Namco Bandai to work on game that produce new original stories as well as ask them to diversify the genres of game for the series. A Dragon Ball Fusions sequel will be on the work, a remake of Dragon Ball Online will be made for international release.

Merchendising wise I will create a department that will be task to look for the quality of the toys Namco Bandai produce and all the goodies everything would need to be top notch.

Release of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z in their original japanese audio stereo will be release for international market in Blu Ray with 4/3 scale of course with bonus. English country will receive the Ocean Kai dub as well as the Westwood and Blue Water dubs. For other country I will make call for having simulcast and simuldub available all over the world.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:34 am

I'd make a movie about Zamasu. The main plotline of the movie would be that Zamasu (as Black) reminisces about his old self, about his past experiences, and how those experiences shaped him. So the movie could basically follow two plotlines. One plotline is Black's current invasion of Earth and fight with Trunks, and the other plotline is Black just remembering the main events of his life, with flashbacks to when he was still Zamasu.

I feel like a movie like this would be very interesting. Aside from the obvious success that such a movie would have (because Black/Zamasu is one of the most popular villains in the franchise), it could successfully flesh-out Zamasu's motivations and backstory in a more convincing manner than Super did (which was still very good, but it didn't delve much into Zamasu's backstory). In addition, I think it would also be interesting to have the villain as the main character of a movie for once. It would be an intriguing change. Also, if f I recall correctly, Trunks fought Black for an entire year before the beginning of the Future Trunks arc. So this time gap has a lot of potential to tell a new story, even if said story doesn't develop the future but rather sheds more light on the past (I don't really think that would be a drawback).

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I would try to work as a Dragon Ball Super series organizer and with the help of Toriyama figure out the concepts behind the story and its adaptation so that I could write a document to serve as a design briefing for future games to answer it with a role playing or fighting adventure one.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm

I'd make DBS 2 a movie or OVA about the Moro arc. Or a short anime arc if it is too long for a movie. And immediately make the manga move on past EoZ.

Find a way to make the manga move faster, maybe it can't be helped but one year spent on just the Moro arc seems a lot of time to me.

I'd let a couple of arcs of Post EoZ Manga go by until I bring Anime DB Super 3 or whatever you wanna call the post EoZ story. Maybe with some anime sidestorys like the Story of Beerus and Champa, the Story of the Pride Troopers, the Rise of Jiren, Hit's past, Sadala's True Story, the Time-Traveller of Universe 12, Yamoshi, there are many stories to help wait out until the anime comes back without the risk of surpassing the manga.

For post EoZ I would definitely use ideas from GT and Heroes, but try to remain manga and anime in the same universe unlike what happened with Super. Bring Pan, Bra, Marron, Goten, Trunks, Uub, have new blood help Goku and Vegeta, and not just help, star in some arcs.

And finally give the show an end, I don't want this to end up like The Simpsons or worse like DC and Marvel comics that go on and on for decades and a new guy shows up and re-writes everything and you have 50 different Superman.

The ToP was a great final arc, to me it was done way too soon, so to go even crazier than that, maybe the Zalama Shadow Dragon arc where even the hakaishin have to jump in and ask for their mortal's help because Zalama Omega Shenron and co might just be too much. Have Goku, Vegeta, Jiren, Broly, Hit, Kefla fighting along Beerus, Champa, Belmond, Geene, etc.

----
Regarding Videogames I would make games specially for each show, a ODB game, a DBGT game, a Super game, and have one that merges all of them, a DBZ Kakarot but covering from Bulma shooting Goku from her car to Vegeta going to Yadrat and Goku training with Merus, with graphics and cutscenes (no more mute interactions) from FighterZ, XV2 roster and improved fighting mechanics.
And of course, like that old game, have the freedom to fuse or absorb(if you are Buu) with anyone

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Bring Super back as an ~18-to-30-episodes-per-year series. Yamumuro is replaced with Shintani.

The Super writing team is given full freedom to completely rewrite Toriyama's outline for the current arc (the one with Moro) from the ground up if they wish, and instructed to do new, interesting things with Dragon Ball. We want an ambition like GT's, but within the confines of a 20-episode-per-year show so there's time to properly develop things before putting it on TV. Hell, if they think it'd work best like that, then they could make the Moro arc as a movie instead.
And we'd use Toei writers more like the ones working on Broly and the Super filler, less like the ones who actually wrote stuff like the TOP, Black arc, ResF, etc.
Starting from the next arc, Toriyama no longer writes the outlines on his own. He meets up with the Toei writers and Toyotaro, they have proper story meetings, and agree on story outlines that way. Toriyama and Toyotaro then go and work on their manga version, while the Toei writers do what they please with it to make the anime version.
If Toriyama doesn't want to work like this, then either Toei and Toyotaro write their stories and send them to him for editing, or he simply isn't involved.
Assuming this writing team works out, they become the standard "Dragon Ball writing team" and any further TV or movie projects are worked on by them. If it doesn't work, frank conversations are had to figure out how to reshuffle it for maximum effectiveness.

Since this is a fun fantasy, let's assume I'm involved in story stuff, so I'd also give the following request to the writers for an overall direction to take:
Over the next few years, Super's ongoing storylines are wrapped up; Beerus and Whis are retired (they were cool for a while, but they've overstayed their welcome, and have pretty much been reduced to one-note joke characters) in a storyline that wraps up everything to do with the gods, and among all this, Goku and Vegeta learn more efficient ways of taking advantage of god ki that doesn't require being so wasteful with their energy, and thus no longer use their Super Saiyan God or Blue forms, retiring those.
At the end of this storyline (perhaps concluding with a movie?), the show wraps up and officially brings an end to Super. We see everyone reunite for the end of the original manga tournament, Goku flies off to train Oob, years pass, the events of GT take place, and Goku flies off with Shen Long, leaving the earth without Dragon Balls or Goku. The narrator says something profound yet simple, and we're left on some kind of "See you next time!" card that sets up the next series.

If there has to be a next series in the original storyline, then Toyotaro's storylines for Victory Mission are brought in and re-interpreted/re-tooled into a full-on series, canonically taking place about a century after the end of GT, where the Heroes arcade game is in-universe drawing from "Myths and legends" that are "often contradictory, but ultimately tell a series of thrilling tales", which we know as the various different stories in the Dragon Ball franchise. The adventures of Beat, Note, and the rest fill our screens for at least one run of ~20-30 episodes.

From here on, I think the main approach to take would be for the Dragon Ball Room to greenlight tons and tons of random spinoff manga by various artists. Preferably starting to do this sooner rather than later. Even super-short ones like the Yamcha one, or longer ones like SD. Each one is allowed to run as long as it sells, and if it's successful and considered of high enough in quality, then it's considered for adaptation into TV or movie form.
There should really only be one Dragon Ball show running in a given year, though no problem if a movie is released the same year as a show that's unrelated to it.

While this is all going on, Toei scans all the original film negatives for Dragon Ball, Z, GT, and the TV specials (including the GT special), and odds and ends like the 1993 Plan OVA and the two PSAs. All of these are remastered at 1080p HD, with minimal (preferably no) grain reduction... Essentially, the idea would be to handle it like the Amazon versions of the movies, but most of this would be taken from 16mm film instead of 35mm.
Additionally, Toei would reach out to the fans to send in tapes from the original run of the show in the '80s and '90s so they can restore the lost audio, and they would sync this up to their HD scans to put the original run out in HD.
And, if possible, Toei would work with Shueisha to re-render the 2008 OVA in HD, just so the entire Dragon Ball franchise is in HD.

And, Toei would finally put out proper soundtrack releases of the Kikuchi and Tokunaga scores for Dragon Ball.

And I would have Toei USA produce English dubs for Canada and the European market with Ocean studios, and work out a deal such that Funimation put Ocean's dubs on their DVDs/BDs; alternate track for the American release, but the Canadian, British, etc. releases mark it as the primary English track.
Along this line, I'd have the various subsidiaries of Toei push hard to get TV networks to broadcast this stuff. To make it as appealing as possible, I'd have Ocean come back to their work on Kai and do additional recording to assemble an uncut version, for any networks that would like a late night airing, and for any distributors that'd like to do uncut DVDs/BDs. And of course, they'd dub Kai TFC to complete that story, and this would give these networks a great in for Dragon Ball since they could pick up Kai, then go into TFC, then Super, etc.

Also, because this is fantasyland, I'd have the Funimation actors appear in Ocean's Kai TFC dub as the Cell Games Re-Enactment voices, and Sabat would appear in Ocean's dub of Super as the voice of Jelly Vegeta, and either Ian Corlett, Peter Kelamis, or Kirby Morrow would be auditioned to play Goku Black. And some (all?) video games would have an option to play with Ocean voices in addition to Funimation and Japanese.

And Toei USA would institute a policy that prevents Funimation from selling releases of the show that alter the video masters given to them by Toei in any way except that required for titles & signs, and encoding the video onto DVD, BD, broadcast files, streamed files, etc. And they -- as well as all other foreign distributors -- would be expressly forbidden from selling any Dragon Ball media in any aspect ratio other than the original intended ratio(s) for the material (4:3 for pre-2008 series, specials, PSAs, and OVAs, 4:3 or 1.85:1 for the pre-BOG movies, 16:9 for the digital movies/specials and post-Kai 1.0 series, and 4:3 or 16:9 for Kai 1.0).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:26 pm
SSJgogeto wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm I would try to convince Toriyama to put some elements of GT in the canon. GT itself is dispensable, but we can always use some things of the anime, making them better in the canonical version.
But you are in charge. You can make it canon.
Wait, but Toriyama still have the final word in this, right? I mean, that's probably how things are working right now.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

would probably rewrite some sagas and advance some concepts :think:

beerus was sealed long ago inside "shin" for how dangerous it was ... that's why nobody knew him except the kaioshins and the seal is broken once kibito and shin merge

dragon ball minus would surely exist but everything would be focused on gine saving goku while the "OVA of Bardock" remains the same as the original only changing the age of goku

Cell creates a tournament between universes 6 and 7
basically cell and frost seek to change universes for their own convenience
cell: to have new opponents to face once he defeat the warriors z
frost: it would have a universe that can govern and nobody can challenge it
The warriors Z would receive help from Caulifla, Kale and Cabba
everything happens more or less the same but goku dies and gets trapped in universe 6 in which he decides to stay

gohan takes full protagonism in universe 7

the galactic patrol would have participation before
moro would have participation before ... but more weak

17 have participation in the buu arc
zamasu and gowasu replace shin and kibito in their role in the buu arc
everything that happens turns zamasu into to in evil

android 21 arc would be canon ... but she a secondary villain and zamasu would be the main
--------------------------------

Goku and the other Saiyans would have their own adventures in universe 6 facing villains from movies and GT
cooler, bojack, baby etc etc

exist the SSJ4 but mixed with the Ikari

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 am

A Young Turtle Hermit spinoff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:31 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm goku dies and gets trapped in universe 6 in which he decides to stay
This would be horrendous.