DBZ Got Lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBZ Got Lucky...

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am

Nokra wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am Naruto inspired the mha and black clover mangaka.
the creator of MHA flat out said All Might was inspired by Goku.

Also if you think DB is such a terrible series, why are you even here?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:36 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am
Nokra wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am Naruto inspired the mha and black clover mangaka.
the creator of MHA flat out said All Might was inspired by Goku.

Also if you think DB is such a terrible series, why are you even here?
Perhaps to enlighten fellow mortals abt the holy greatness of recent, current shows🤣🤣🤣dude got nerves to register in Kanzenshuu forum, pop a topic that too criticizing the show & it's creator...and expectin any sorta decent reply would be hilarious

I honestly dislike Shintani & his artsyle man. I'd say why. Cuz it lacks details & looks aesthetically unappealing....I've even made quite a number of posts in DBS Broly thread....But I would never...I mean NEVER go to extent of poppin a topic that stresses abt the weaknesses in elitist manner by aggrandizing other superior guys/shows.

You can justify it as "it's considered having an opinion man". But srsly, if u think DBZ was lucky, don't discuss it here. Lock it up within ur heart & have fun watching ur fav shows. Case closed.

DBZ was & would always be a beast. A phenomenon that revolutionized shounen & anime industry in general. Created an impact so strong it's waves hit all over the globe. Not everything needs to be well-written, not every characters need to be deep...cough...cough..."nakama-cliche"...cough...cough...and certainly not every show needs female leads with big oppai🤣🤣🤣

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Honestly don't care about thos thread. But continue to desperately defend the "fantastic" writing of dbz like fanboys I won't respond anyway :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Nokra wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm Honestly don't care about thos thread. But continue to desperately defend the "fantastic" writing of dbz like fanboys I won't respond anyway :lol:
So you admit this was just bait? Cool. Moving on.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Did Dragon Ball have no competition or is it the only anime during that era you're even aware existed? I'm willing to bet on the latter.

You sound like a western fan who's only familiar with this era and assumes that because Dragon Ball is the only Japanese show from that time before you that still get pushed to Western audience, that nothing else existed around it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Are you kidding me? Dragon Ball had to compete with some of the best series to ever run in the history of Shonen Jump. Dragon Ball ran alongside:

Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho, and many others.

Look at that lineup. That's a Hell of a crucible to be forged in. Dragon Ball still managed to become one of WSJ's most successful manga despite that challenge, and WSJ's popularity surged during its run.

I'd argue there aren't a large number of WSJ series in the last 10-15 years that could have survived the competition that Dragon Ball did, much less have thrived.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Nokra wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm Yup. There wasn't much competition when it came out that was doing what it was doing.
I think there was enough competition. There was Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, and American cartoons like X-Men. And while all these were popular in their own right, Dragon Ball still blew them out of the water. There's clearly something else about Dragon Ball that sets it apart from other animes and cartoons.
toriyama was lucky enough to come up with the concept of dbz before everyone else and had
Just like he was lucky enough to come up with Dr. Slump which was also hugely successful, and the series that launched his career?

Not like today where any of these shows could compete with it or do better.
I dunno. Crap like Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia are popular. Plus, if it did come out today, it probably would be better written.
Last edited by Melee_Sovereign on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 pm
I agreed with this...until I remembered that Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray exist and are massively popular as well.
A lot of things that are popular don't necessarily have to be consistently well written and have consistent quality. They just have to have one special thing about them that resonates with the human psyche. Dragon Ball, despite all its flaws, has something about it that just charms people. Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray do a similar thing, particularly for female readers/watchers.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Mewzard wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 pm Are you kidding me? Dragon Ball had to compete with some of the best series to ever run in the history of Shonen Jump. Dragon Ball ran alongside:

Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho, and many others.

Look at that lineup. That's a Hell of a crucible to be forged in. Dragon Ball still managed to become one of WSJ's most successful manga despite that challenge, and WSJ's popularity surged during its run.

I'd argue there aren't a large number of WSJ series in the last 10-15 years that could have survived the competition that Dragon Ball did, much less have thrived.
Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, and Fist of the North Star predate Dragon Ball so they couldn't have made to compete with it.

Not to mention they pioneered many of the same tropes Dragon Ball became known for.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:01 pm

This is a perfectly fine conversation to have, and there are tons of valid points to bring up. Let us at Kanzenshuu neither be the first nor last to tell you that Dragon Ball (along with its author and production staff) is(/are) not without basis for criticism.

The topic creator, however, flat-out admits they're not interested in good-faith conversation, and instead just wish to stir up shit (with, let's be honest, some fairly incomprehensible posts). Based on this and their prior account strikes, they're gone.

Carry on elsewhere!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::