What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Re: What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pm

I actually like Vic's take on Broly. Vic may not be a great human being but I'd argue that the man is a voice actor legend similar to Kevin Spacey in the acting business (even though he's also a shit human). Even better than Broly is his performance as Edward Elric in FMA. I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to whoever replaces Vic in future FMA material.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pm I actually like Vic's take on Broly. Vic may not be a great human being but I'd argue that the man is a voice actor legend similar to Kevin Spacey in the acting business (even though he's also a shit human). Even better than Broly is his performance as Edward Elric in FMA. I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to whoever replaces Vic in future FMA material.
I doubt that comparison is true beyond them being sexual predators. He is in no way a legend in the voice acting community. Mel Blanc and Frank Welker, he's not.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am

ABED wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 pm I doubt that comparison is true beyond them being sexual predators. He is in no way a legend in the voice acting community. Mel Blanc and Frank Welker, he's not.
No... I'd say it's fairly comparable. At least, a lot of the #ISWV guys I talk to think he's a legend. The ones that are actually anime fans, and not just trolls,

Plus I've seen him listed on some "Top 10 Anime Voice Actor Lists" and all that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 am

His Broly was great. Though his screams are way better in the Tenkaichi and Budokai games.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:43 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pm I actually like Vic's take on Broly. Vic may not be a great human being but I'd argue that the man is a voice actor legend similar to Kevin Spacey in the acting business (even though he's also a shit human). Even better than Broly is his performance as Edward Elric in FMA. I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to whoever replaces Vic in future FMA material.
As if they'd ever make more FMA stuff. It's not gonna happen at all. If I still gave a shit about dubs, I'd have a woman voice Edward. Mignogna makes Edward sound unnecessarily whiny in places IMO. A good example of this is in this scene from FMA 2003: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCX_OgPoBO8. In the original, Edward is asking if that's how adults are supposed to act when he's referring to Mustang's plans beyond avenging Maes Hughes' death. In the dub, the way that line is scripted and acted just makes Edward too whiny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:31 am

i don't think it's much worse then the average funimation dub voice, it's not super remarkable or distinctive, but like it's not horrible, it's just decent enough. though that clip Cursed Lemon posted was.....yeah, oof.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am
ABED wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 pm I doubt that comparison is true beyond them being sexual predators. He is in no way a legend in the voice acting community. Mel Blanc and Frank Welker, he's not.
No... I'd say it's fairly comparable. At least, a lot of the #ISWV guys I talk to think he's a legend. The ones that are actually anime fans, and not just trolls,

Plus I've seen him listed on some "Top 10 Anime Voice Actor Lists" and all that.
That's a drop in the bucket. He's not a legend, nowhere even close.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 am

I’m dying. We’re really calling Mignogna a legend and comparing him to Kevin Spacey? (As an actor not as a sexual predator)

No, not only is his voice acting not that great he’s really not that big outside of anime dubbing. He’s nowhere near the likes of John Dimaggio, Mark Hamill, Billy West, Frank Welker, Tara Strong. Ya know actually talented and well regarded voice actors.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Vic’s good as Edward in the FMA dub, but that’s far and away his best performance and nothing he’s done has been as good.

As for his Broly, he suffers from the same issues most characters do when performed in English: a lack of depth and a lack of proper direction to bring out everyone’s talent.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am Oh, I don't know.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again: people actually, literally, and unironically DEFEND this fucking dub/voicework as compelling and wonderful, and have for almost 20 years now. And still do to this day even in 2019.

This doesn't even remotely NEED any further elaboration or explanation. Its self-invalidating.

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pmVic may not be a great human being but I'd argue that the man is a voice actor legend similar to Kevin Spacey in the acting business (even though he's also a shit human).

This shit is straight through the goddamn looking glass. This is so beyond delusional that I can't even think of an adequate enough of a comparison to equate it with.

I'm going to reiterate this for the umpteenth time now, because it bears near-constant repeating in this community, and its a large part of where ridiculous statements like this often tend to come from:

Stop watching nothing but exclusively children's cartoons.

For heaven's sake. Actually make a serious, concerted effort to branch out into REAL movies and media for regular, fully grown-ass adults that aren't made to air on things like the Disney Channel or whatnot. Particularly anything that isn't geek or nerd-related. There's a vast, endless, gargantuan UNIVERSE of wonderful, powerfully moving, and genuinely culturally monumental stuff that's out there and that so many of you folks (not all, but a significant number of you) are completely unaware even exists, stuff that utterly blows off the map and is galaxies beyond just about literally anything you ever watched on Fox Kids or Cartoon Network growing up. I'll even go so far as to say objectively fucking so in a great many cases.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Do we really need to get into this whole “stop watching kid’s shows” argument here?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Maybe not an argument, but it is a ridiculous comparison to make to claim his stature in the voice acting community was even close to Spacey's stature in the film community. Spacey has not one, but TWO Oscars. What does Vic have in his field that is akin to that? I don't know how anyone makes the comparison.

It's also worth noting he didn't say stop watching kids shows, just stop watching nothing but kids shows.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:12 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 pm Maybe not an argument, but it is a ridiculous comparison to make to claim his stature in the voice acting community was even close to Spacey's stature in the film community. Spacey has not one, but TWO Oscars. What does Vic have in his field that is akin to that? I don't know how anyone makes the comparison.

It's also worth noting he didn't say stop watching kids shows, just stop watching nothing but kids shows.
I just don’t see why one would need to assume that someone else is exclusively watching children’s entertainment to begin with.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:53 pm

As a woman who watches a lot of children's cartoons...uh...yeah, I watch a lot of children's cartoons. I also watch a lot of other stuff, when my dysphoria isn't destroying me. I suggest trying to read some LGBTQIA+ books, they're better than a lot of shitty, boring movies out there. ♥

Actually, watch Twin Peaks. Y'all should watch Twin Peaks, that's some good shit with fabulous acting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I really should get around to watching Twin Peaks since I'm a big Lynch fan.

Anyway, yeah Vic is not comparable to Kevin Spacey. If the two were to share a scene together, I don't think Vic could hold his own against him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:15 pm I really should get around to watching Twin Peaks since I'm a big Lynch fan.
You will shit your pants from fear and piss them from laughter.

If you want good acting...check out Twin Peaks.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:08 pm

It's too surreal for me, but I did enjoy the Psych homage to Twin Peaks "Dual Spires".

I find it odd that in this and several threads, people keep overblowing how popular/talented Vic is. Why this guy?

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 pm 10's by Pantera is a fucking awesome song and I will fight ya'll if you disagree.

I do like Mignogna's take on Broly in Movie 8, but his performance in Super: Broly was a very mixed bag. He's great in scenes where Broly's in his calm base form, but he just can't yell for shit. They had to loop his yell in this scene because he just couldn't maintain it for that long. It's a far cry from Bin Shimada's performance. That man can yell.
I actually do like a lot of the licensed songs FUNimation used back in the day. The problem is that they don’t exactly fit a goofy Japanese martial arts series. Still, as I said before, I think Movie 8 is probably the least egregious case of FUNimation doing that, because you could at least make the argument that the music vaguely fits the nature of Broly’s character. I’m not saying that’s a great argument, and I certainly don’t condone the use of replacement scores, but for what it’s worth, the newest movie did have some heavy metal style music of its own (Go Broly! Go Go!).

As for Vic Mignogna’s yells, yeah, he certainly can’t yell as well as Bin Shimada, but his voice and overall performance always seemed fine to me, and I always did find it impressive how significantly different his Broly voice was from his regular speaking voice. I guess I’m mostly just confused by the people who say he’s a subpar actor, since I’ve seen that come up a few times. Regardless of who he is as a person, that doesn’t mean he can’t act.
I always thought the problem with the Funi movie scores was they used the regular songs instead of instrumental. I think instrumental versions could have worked pretty well especially in the Broly power up scene posted. But iirc movie 4 and 5 are the biggest offenders of this, can't even hear the characters talking over all the Linkin Park and Disturbed blaring over them. Wasn't just that they had the singing either, they had the song volume to high, might have even been higher than the dialogue.

As for Broly I always thought Vic did pretty good.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:08 pm It's too surreal for me, but I did enjoy the Psych homage to Twin Peaks "Dual Spires".

I find it odd that in this and several threads, people keep overblowing how popular/talented Vic is. Why this guy?
I have no stake in the argument regarding exactly how talented he is, but I think it’s fair to say that as far as voice actors for anime dubs are concerned, he is pretty popular. He’s obviously not a mainstream celebrity by any means, but he does have a pretty devoted fanbase, and even his own fan club, which I don’t think can be said for many other actors who have worked with FUNimation. I’m not familiar with Fullmetal Alchemist, but I do know that it’s pretty popular among anime fans.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:03 pm

He's popular for his performance in Fullmetal Alchemist, even though it isn't that good of a performance.