What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asmo

Re: What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by Asmo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:06 pm Seriously. If he wasn't in FMA, no one would know who he is.
Wouldn't surprise me. He was in Street Fighter II V, an anime that was something of an introduction (to anime in general) for me, but he was in the dub that my territory didn't get. So I've never heard his performance. That's just the first credited appearance of his where I learned of him, if I'm not mistaken.

I've never heard his performance and I'm not bothered to. I used to watch FMA with the dub when it aired on TV here, but his performance didn't move me. He did Broly well, IMO but Broly (at least at the time of the earlier films) was a character that didn't need a lot of nuance, IMO.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 pm *snip*
First off, I completely understand that none of what you said was directed at me, for the reasons you've already stated. We're definitely mere strangers to one another, which is likely exacerbated by the fact that (despite what my forum tag says) I'm not a regular here at all. What I do is just pop in here once in a while when I remember that this place exists and see if there's something worth putting my input into.

After this response, I think I have a much better idea of where you're coming from. I'll readily admit that you have so much more experience of how the people of this forum are outside of Dragon Ball than I, and I came at you with more assumptions than I should have. You've obviously put a lot of time participating in this community, and I definitely didn't have the full picture of that (and I still only have a mere sliver of it).

I don't think you're wrong in your goal of convincing people to expand their horizons beyond that of children's entertainment. In fact, I have personal experience to say that expanding horizons like that can be a net positive in one's life, and I have found all sorts of new things to love in the media realms of the "adult". I've also continued to find new things to love in the more young side of things, too, so I've got a lot to enjoy.

I just don't see the way you're going about this here as being very helpful or effective. You say you don't seek to come off as an elitist, but that's how I've read this and previous posts where I've seen you discuss this matter. And it seems like I'm not the first person to say that to you, so perhaps there's something to that point? Your intentions seem noble enough to me, but intentions don't really go very far without actions that can live up to them. The way I see it, you're doing yourself a disservice with the tone you convey in these posts.

That said, if you have some ideas on some cool in-depth discussions that we could have on here about Dragon Ball that pull from a wider context, I'd be interested in seeing them. I know you've done them before, and I'd say there's still a place for them now.

And maybe I should actually put my two cents in about Mignogna's Broly.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am Oh, I don't know.
I certainly loved that cheese-fest of a dub back when I was nine, and I would be lying if I said it didn't still fill an irony-tinged hole in my heart. For what 2003-era Funimation was going for, I think Vic served that role about as well as anyone could. Not that I think it would've been that hard for another VA to pull it off. I'd have to revisit DBS Broly before I'd give that performance a more final judgement, but I remember being taken out of it a bit in the theater from the normal speaking voice, which sounded too much like Edward Elric for me.
Last edited by MetaMoss on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:04 am

Honestly if sharing my personal views, he was like my favorite voice in a DB character outside of Gohan and Piccolo.

He may not scream super loud but he more than makes up for it with his speaking tone. It sounds so fucking cool to me.

https://youtu.be/F2DPYDMjp3U?t=92

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 am

My personal favorite part about his voice was how similar it sounded to Paragus'. Both had that sort of raspy, guttural growl whenever they spoke:

Paragus' Voice

Broly's Voice
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:31 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:37 pm I need to check out Lynch's other work. I've only also seen Blue Velvet, so I'm curious about his other stuff. I also need to check out more Kubrick and some tokusatsu.
twin peaks is lynch at his best i think, but yeah most of his stuff is worth checking out, even if i'm not huge on his really BIG movies (elephant man, dune), love mulholland drive especially. kubrick's whole filmography is for sure a essential for anyone looking to get into cinema, like that's a bit of a obvious statement but yeah, so much of his work is amazing. spike lee is also one of my favorites, the dude just makes amazing looking movies lol.
MetaMoss wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 pm How much of that news coverage was dedicated to his status as an "acting legend", though? I don't remember that being really part of the conversation when the allegations against him came out, just that he was a big name.
i mean, if someone had just found out who kevin spacey was for the first time when that news came out, i imagine they would look him up and found out he was/is a well regarded actor ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 am

The way Phoenix compared Vic Mignogna to Kevin Spacey reminds me of how some anime fans have said that Mike McFarland is the Stanley Kubrick of ADR directing. Not sure how this makes sense since McFarland only directs dubs for anime while Kubrick actually made movies.

I swear that I'd break something if someone called Johnny Yong Bosch the Daniel Day Lewis of voice acting.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 am The way Phoenix compared Vic Mignogna to Kevin Spacey reminds me of how some anime fans have said that Mike McFarland is the Stanley Kubrick of ADR directing. Not sure how this makes sense since McFarland only directs dubs for anime while Kubrick actually made movies.
Some anime fans have actually said this?

I’m dead.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 am The way Phoenix compared Vic Mignogna to Kevin Spacey reminds me of how some anime fans have said that Mike McFarland is the Stanley Kubrick of ADR directing. Not sure how this makes sense since McFarland only directs dubs for anime while Kubrick actually made movies.

I’m dead.
Oh yes, a Twitter guy called BioZero216 (one of the craziest Vic stans you'll ever come across the internet) has called him that. For Tony Oliver, he said he was the Steven Spielberg of voice directors.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 am

I’m dead.
Oh yes, a Twitter guy called BioZero216 (one of the craziest Vic stans you'll ever come across the internet) has called him that. For Tony Oliver, he said he was the Steven Spielberg of voice directors.
This is why I don’t engage with anime twitter :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am

Wakamoto Norio is the Al Pacino of Japanese cartoon acting. ♥
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 am

I’m dead.
I remember that name from youtube. Pretty sure hes just a troll. I hope.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 am

I’m dead.
I remember that name from youtube. Pretty sure hes just a troll. I hope.
He's a guy who takes voice actors way too seriously, much like MCU fans take criticism way too seriously. I mean, I enjoy most of the MCU, but I wouldn't go out of my way to diss Martin Scorsese. I even recall when fans of The Dark Knight trilogy were bashing on David Cronenberg for his dismissal of those films.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm

He's a guy who takes voice actors way too seriously, much like MCU fans take criticism way too seriously.
I actually get it. Sure, there are more constructive ways to voice ones opinion, but I get why people get defensive when they feel their taste in art is insulted. The art we respond to is personal. The irony is that film buffs are often far more pretentious than the directors they idolize. Tarantino liked the Lone Ranger.

Is FMA (either series) the big reason Vic is as idolized as he seems to be? There seems to be this perception that he's more popular than he actually is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pmIs FMA (either series) the big reason Vic is as idolized as he seems to be? There seems to be this perception that he's more popular than he actually is.
He’s certainly more popular than most other voice actors who have worked with FUNimation. I guess part of that may be on the count of how he’s presented himself over the years.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm
He's a guy who takes voice actors way too seriously, much like MCU fans take criticism way too seriously.
I actually get it. Sure, there are more constructive ways to voice ones opinion, but I get why people get defensive when they feel their taste in art is insulted. The art we respond to is personal. The irony is that film buffs are often far more pretentious than the directors they idolize. Tarantino liked the Lone Ranger.

Is FMA (either series) the big reason Vic is as idolized as he seems to be? There seems to be this perception that he's more popular than he actually is.
It sure is the big reason for his popularity.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pmIs FMA (either series) the big reason Vic is as idolized as he seems to be? There seems to be this perception that he's more popular than he actually is.
He’s certainly more popular than most other voice actors who have worked with FUNimation. I guess part of that may be on the count of how he’s presented himself over the years.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "how he's presented himself". I never paid attention to the guy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:06 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "how he's presented himself". I never paid attention to the guy.
I mean that he’s always been extremely interactive with his fans, and has made a habit of consistently making himself out to be this charismatic and all around likable guy. Hell, I’ve always pretty much only really been familiar with his work as Broly, but even I was vaguely aware that the guy loved being in the spotlight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZqcW-xu5c

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm The FUNimation dub is mainstream like the MCU? That’s a pretty big stretch, especially when a lot of people these days watch the Japanese version.
The dub is still pretty mainstream and was the version that millions of potentially new fans got exposed to. A broken and completely irredeemable version of the show. That said i wasn't comparing the dub to MCU directly, it was just something that was on my mind,thanks to the crazy reactions online recently . Reactions that seemed all too similar to how dub fans react whenever someone dares to speak anything even remotely negative about it. It's one of those things where the extreme reaction to set criticism make no sense. The countless issues with the dub are so obvious and the fans of set dub bend over backwards in every conceivable way to defend it, and shit on the original version when all else fails. That's pretty insane. A normal reaction would be something like "Yeah we know it's trash or it has a ton of problems but we enjoy it anyway" that's however not what happens in 98% of the cases online.

Some of course take this kind of crazy mentality to a ludicrous extreme and defend a F tier talentless hack voice actor. As if they know him personally! While they also simultaneously ignore the vast amounts of credible evidence that he is a fucking creep and shouldn't be defended in any way. :crazy:
Even if Vic was the best, most talented, and most famous actor ever, that wouldn't change a thing about what he did and how he should be held responsible for it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:22 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm The FUNimation dub is mainstream like the MCU? That’s a pretty big stretch, especially when a lot of people these days watch the Japanese version.
The dub is still pretty mainstream and was the version that millions of potentially new fans got exposed to. A broken and completely irredeemable version of the show. That said i wasn't comparing the dub to MCU directly, it was just something that was on my mind,thanks to the crazy reactions online recently . Reactions that seemed all too similar to how dub fans react whenever someone dares to speak anything even remotely negative about it. It's one of those things where the extreme reaction to set criticism make no sense. The countless issues with the dub are so obvious and the fans of set dub bend over backwards in every conceivable way to defend it, and shit on the original version when all else fails. That's pretty insane. A normal reaction would be something like "Yeah we know it's trash or it has a ton of problems but we enjoy it anyway" that's however not what happens in 98% of the cases online.

Some of course take this kind of crazy mentality to a ludicrous extreme and defend a F tier talentless hack voice actor. As if they know him personally! While they also simultaneously ignore the vast amounts of credible evidence that he is a fucking creep and shouldn't be defended in any way. :crazy:
That's easily one of those things that annoys me the most about Vic stans: thinking they know their god better than the people he works.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm Some of course take this kind of crazy mentality to a ludicrous extreme and defend a F tier talentless hack voice actor. As if they know him personally! While they also simultaneously ignore the vast amounts of credible evidence that he is a fucking creep and shouldn't be defended in any way. :crazy:
How is Vic F-Tier? Like, remove the controversy from the equation. He's a legitimately good to great actor. There's a reason he's gotten so much work over the years & has garnered a big fanbase.

I'm not saying he was justified in what he did, or should be admonished because of his talents, I'm just giving credit where it's due.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs