Did the Orange Brick 2007 (partial) redub feel pointless overall?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Did the Orange Brick 2007 (partial) redub feel pointless overall?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:37 am Yes, it was pointless. At most, they should've redubbed whatever episodes dub episode 54 consists of, since that is technically 1.5 episodes stuck together. Making Hebert the only narrator is an easy fix, but the dub was fundamentally broken from the start. It's like trying to fix a troubled movie with some clever edits and some reshoots. They were fundamentally broken to begin with.

And as bad as those original performances were, I don't like rewriting history. I'd rather they exist for posterity.
Definitely agree, they basically tried to (badly) polish an already terrible six/seven year old dub and didn't do very well at it. Sure, they fixed some of the worst lines and jokes. Yet that only barely scratched the surface of it's many problems.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Did the Orange Brick 2007 (partial) redub feel pointless overall?

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:37 am Yes, it was pointless. At most, they should've redubbed whatever episodes dub episode 54 consists of, since that is technically 1.5 episodes stuck together. Making Hebert the only narrator is an easy fix, but the dub was fundamentally broken from the start. It's like trying to fix a troubled movie with some clever edits and some reshoots. They were fundamentally broken to begin with.

And as bad as those original performances were, I don't like rewriting history. I'd rather they exist for posterity.
Definitely agree, they basically tried to (badly) polish an already terrible six/seven year old dub and didn't do very well at it. Sure, they fixed some of the worst lines and jokes. Yet that only barely scratched the surface of the dub's many problems.
And they inserted 2007, etc. dialog recorded on much better equipment with dialog recorded on cheap equipment. It was a terrible idea across the board. Remember how bad CGI Jabba looks when inserted into a now 40+ year old movie? It wouldn't be so bad if it was presented as "this is what we wish we could do at the time, but..." and kept the older version in circulation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.