Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is being attracted to a Dragon Ball character considered weird?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:51 am I guess I just felt the need to say that because your post seemed to be implying that everyone was somewhere near the middle of the spectrum of orientation/sexuality (yeah, I know there is a spectrum and it's complicated). I just wanted to give a counterexample of being solidly on one side.
I'll be honest, that's how I interpreted that post too. Reminded me of that Avenue Q song about how everyone's a little bit racist.
🎶 Everyone’s a little bit gay sometiimes doesn’t mean we go after the same sex for sexy tiiiimes. If we could all just admit that we are all gay a little biiit and everyone stopped being so narrow maybe we could live in harmony 🎶
Maybe I'm 1% gay at most... either way, it's hard to really identify any such proclivities in my psyche. If they are there, they are very well-hidden.
If it's a spectrum, then everyone's on it, and there's no binary. There's no such thing as "completely" being one thing or the other. What you label the position you occupy on the spectrum is completely subjective, especially when you get into abstract shit like fictional characters.
Even a spectrum has solid ends. Like the visible spectrum of light begins at violet and ends at red.

I've never found another guy (real or fictional) attractive. Period.

At most you could say that when I watch a show like Torchwood and see Captain Jack Harkness making out with his boyfriend, I can think 'that's kind of sweet'. Does that make me partially gay? If you want to define it that way, I guess, but it doesn't seem significant from my perspective.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 am

Characters are designed to be appealing in one way or another. There are many aspects of a character that some find conventionally attractive. Others may find different details they like that may not suit the “norm.” So to answer the thread’s main question, yeah. Maybe it’s weird to some. But we’re Dragon Ball fans damnit! We love weird! This is a series that starts with 12 year old martial artist/country bumpkin who didn’t know what a vagina who grows up to be an adrenaline-addicted grandfather.

With that said Yajirobe was one of my first anime crushes!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am

Gligarman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 am Characters are designed to be appealing in one way or another. There are many aspects of a character that some find conventionally attractive. Others may find different details they like that may not suit the “norm.” So to answer the thread’s main question, yeah. Maybe it’s weird to some. But we’re Dragon Ball fans damnit! We love weird! This is a series that starts with 12 year old martial artist/country bumpkin who didn’t know what a vagina who grows up to be an adrenaline-addicted grandfather.

I'm fond of Chi Chi, Bulma, Gine, Caulifla, Kale and Cheelai.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Gligarman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 am Characters are designed to be appealing in one way or another. There are many aspects of a character that some find conventionally attractive. Others may find different details they like that may not suit the “norm.” So to answer the thread’s main question, yeah. Maybe it’s weird to some. But we’re Dragon Ball fans damnit! We love weird! This is a series that starts with 12 year old martial artist/country bumpkin who didn’t know what a vagina who grows up to be an adrenaline-addicted grandfather.

baeteen is best girl, all I'm sayin

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:49 pm

baeteen is best girl, all I'm sayin
You misspelled Videl

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Nope, Toriyama's designs are uniquely attractive and his characters are charming to various degrees.

I think Lunch in both her forms, Chi-Chi, young Bulma (when her hair was long), , Android 18, Zangya, Cocoa Amaguri, Macarita and Kusu look very pretty.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:11 pm

Y'know, if Silver had more of a personality I could see myself being attracted to him. In the 1986 cartoon he's got a real mysterious air to him before he dies unceremoniously.

Another cutie Violet. Her basic design and stoic attitude was a nice set up. I would have liked to see her get in on some more action. Hell, no reason she can't be the next enemy for Gokuu.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 pm

It's weird not to be attracted to things like this:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm

I dunno. Most of those are a little too thicc for me.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 pm

Psajdak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 pm It's weird not to be attracted to things like this:

Uhh yeah the ridiculous anatomy and proportions in that fanart does not make them look attractive in the slightest. They just make me think the artist(s) just discovered women have boobs.

They look better in Toriyama’s official art

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 pm
Psajdak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 pm It's weird not to be attracted to things like this:

Uhh yeah the ridiculous anatomy and proportions in that fanart does not make them look attractive in the slightest. They just make me think the artist(s) just discovered women have boobs.

Yeah, those are indeed way too busty and definitely over the top proportioned. It just looks...i dunno.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm

Well, this artist has thousands of people who find his drawings attractive, so, I don't know what to say to you.

https://twitter.com/cutesexyrobutts

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 pm

Psajdak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm Well, this artists has thousands of people who find his drawings attractive, so, I don't know what to say to you.
Whatever floats their boat i guess, different strokes for different folks as the old saying goes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

Psajdak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm Well, this artist has thousands of people who find his drawings attractive, so, I don't know what to say to you.

That’s cool, I hope he meets a real girl some day.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm
Psajdak wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm Well, this artist has thousands of people who find his drawings attractive, so, I don't know what to say to you.

Or gains the technological know how with which to create one.

Actually I'd rather it be the latter. Imagine what a humanity that augment themselves with robo-asses would be like?
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:43 pm

I'm not defending that artist, but his drawing are sexy exactly because they are over-the-top.

You are giving proportions, logic, and being normal way too much credit.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:16 am

1. Asexual people exist, there's no need to sexuality-shame people by telling them how they have to operate and define the parameters of their sexuality.
2. It's okay to masturbate to erotic art that isn't realistic.
3. Define your gender and sexuality as you please.
4. I want a nice big ass like that so penis-wielders wanna fuck it, too. :(
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 pm

He's a married man with 2 kids.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 pm

You must have never seen most Instgram models, or girls in rap videos lmao.

And the women in current Toriyama art tend to look plain.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 pm

No I don't think it's weird to find fictional characters attractive in the least, when I hit puberty I definitely found Bulma, 18 and Videl quite attractive.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku