Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Toei should promoto Piccolo more as a LGBTQQIP2SAA character

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:44 pm

The scene wasn't gay enough. Cap should've been having an orgy with him, in my opinion.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Michsi wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:52 am Not to mention that King Piccolo clearly called him "son" when he created him.
This sounds like it came from FUNimation. In the original, Daimao uses the expression wagako meaning "my child".

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:27 pm

MyVisionity wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:34 pm
Michsi wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:52 am Not to mention that King Piccolo clearly called him "son" when he created him.
This sounds like it came from FUNimation. In the original, Daimao uses the expression wagako meaning "my child".
Nope. The English manga uses β€œson” as well.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Michsi wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:30 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 pm I would love a scene where Piccolo had to correct someone for calling them a man or trying to make a move on them.
But he refers to himself as a male. He uses aggressive male pronouns when referring to himself. Not to mention that King Piccolo clearly called him "son" when he created him so there that too.
I think Dende or Freeza fit this idea better, but again, using literal aliens as representation seems counterproductive. I hope I didn't misread sarcasm here

Addotionally Toriyama once mentioned in an interview that biologically speaking Namekians might be hermaphrodites, but again, this might have been just a passing thought.
Indeed, part of the reason I find these repeated discussions to be so headscratching is because to me, the idea of hitching your identity to a character who's only relevance to it is by pure coincidence and happenstance is an exercise in deluding yourself. It's certainly putting far more thought into it than Toriyama or anybody on the other end is putting into it.

And worse than that, I can't think of any way of tying bizarre alien biology to transgender /LBGT identity that wouldn't be ludicrously insulting and cynical. On the level of bullshit like PETA saying going vegan is supporting feminism.

It may have been discussed either here or in Discord, but there's a running gag in the black community of Piccolo being the "black guy" of DBZ, to the point where it became a joke to include him in "favorite black cartoon [subject]" memes. But should Toei (or really, FUNi in this case) start touting him as an African American symbol? Absolutely fucking not, please. Not when their actual black characters are stuck in the worst of the 1930's.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:27 pm
I don't know what Toriyama wrote in the manga, so maybe it's different from the anime. But it's possible that the Viz translation took liberties with the term.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:29 pm

MyVisionity wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 pm

I don't know what Toriyama wrote in the manga, so maybe it's different from the anime. But it's possible that the Viz translation took liberties with the term.
It's Viz, so definitely :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:09 am

Wasn't it "musuko" ? Either way, Piccolo Jr. calls him "father" and he is supposed to be identical to him, so there's that too.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:48 am
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am I have a simpler solution: how about we keep identity politics out of some dumb kung-Fu cartoon?
This is not an appropriate response.
This was absolutely a perfectly appropriate response. Some of us are tired of people's ideological battles contaminating things like Dragonball. There would be no substance behind introducing Piccolo as a "LBGT-xyz". Zero.

As for the suggestion itself: hell no. It's blatant identity politics injection in the same vein as the recent Rotten Tomato review scandal. You know what would be more effective? Playing up Piccolo's lonliness as an alien on a foreign planet, one that was born in but seemingly does not belong to. The idea of 2 genders might not only be confusing to him, but also alien. THAT would be much more of an effective tool in portraying what it's like, maybe, as someone who does not identify with any gender. That's the power of storytelling. Do we NEED a LBGT whatever tag slapped on him for that?
ChibiGoku wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: ↑Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:48 am
VegettoEX wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:48 am

This is not an appropriate response.
It's an appropriate response, you just disagree with it. An inappropriate response would be along the lines of "keep ideologies that promote mental illness out of my anime!" or something along those lines. That is an example and not a line I believe, so don't punish me for it please. Something that insults people here who are just trying to discuss opinions. But his response is appropriate, non-insulting, and just trying to find middle ground. We've had threads on this forum in the past where someone talks about injecting American left-wing politics into Dragon Ball for values such as representation and diversity. It always ends poorly. This community (Dragon Ball in general) already has the following:

* Faulconer vs Kikuchi
* GT sucking vs not sucking
* Z vs Kai
* Super sucking vs not sucking
* Vic is innocent vs Vic is guilty
* Shoving American politics into a Japanese cartoon

I feel like there is one that I forgot, but you should get my point. I really like you dude. You are a cool guy. But you should be better than this. He didn't insult anyone like in my example. He just wants people to not start fights and is trying to find middle ground. Everything else in the world has politics these days. There is nothing wrong with wanting a bit of escapism where you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy something without having to worry about left vs right wing politics. Hell, I remember when Xbox Live had gamer pictures for McCain and Obama.
wrote:LGBTQQIP2SAA
So is this seriously an abbreviation used by the LBGT community? Or is this a friendly joke? The most I've heard was something like LBGTQIA, and that already seems stupid in my opinion. Call me old fashioned (or just old, it fits I guess), but I remember when it was just LBGT and everyone was fine as we fought for equality for homosexuals.
You know, as someone who's been active in the LGBTQ+ community spaces since finally coming out years ago, I absolutely and really do not appreciate your response by any means. You're comparing our existence to something trivial discussion such as in-related discussion for most of the points that you bring up.

Also, your "Shoving American politics into a Japanese cartoon" is absolutely infuriating, given there's plenty of movements in Japan similar to the US that are in a less defined state than here, but are similar in nature. Most recently, issues regarding topics of sexism and stuff have exploded on Japanese social media and news outlets over a recent depiction of the Red Cross anime character. These are similar issues that we discuss, including stuff found in the Dragon Ball anime.

Don't you EVER dare say these discussions aren't worth discussing, because representation in media as a whole is incredibly important. This isn't "identity politics" when Dragon Ball does have various identities presented in it's media as a whole, with an early example of a known openly queer gay character in the show (which, he does openly have some issues, but it's notable for the time frame when he was depicted, ignoring... the bit Toei Animation added in the anime, which is still frustrating, not gonna lie).

Plus, when you say "lay off identity politics", it makes it very clear that you have no interest in said discussion and just want to cause issues for people who want to create such discussion. Your follow up response only makes that incredibly clear where you lean on these issues and not representative towards vulnerable communities as a whole.

Not to say we can't have open discussion, but when you create such hostility immediately, your opinion, at this point, is no longer valid and as Vegetto said, is not appropriate in any manner. Plus, as it stands, I don't want an individual such as your self commenting on issues that affect me, a gay man, as well as many members of the LGBTQ+ community as a whole. It's very clear you're not supportive of efforts to be inclusive in media as a whole and as it stands, I'll be blunt:

I really don't care or value your opinion at this point, especially when it comes to issues that affect me. I've long had to hide in the damn closet, feeling the fact that my attraction towards men was bad. I was bullied to the point at one point, I legit considered committing suicide. I was sexually and verbally harassed by my peers. Cops refused to do anything, and told my mother, straight to her face: "If your son was a girl, we could do something". How does that shit makes me feel?

Plus, as it stands, you have no idea how much I wish I saw more representation of Queer characters in media as a whole, be it kids entertainment or otherwise. I'd probably felt a lot better about myself as a whole. Many Queer Kids and Teens have felt a lot better knowing there's nothing wrong with them when they see positive representation in the media as a whole. While I was growing up, I had almost nothing of the sort, outside of some stuff on Sailor Moon and that's about it. Hell, the Canadian cartoons that started including Queer characters were often heavily edited to avoid showing it or cut the episodes out entirely. Brace Face being a notable example of this.

So no, I think these discussions are important and should be discussed. Also, infusing politics? Sir, most anime, games, heck, media in general, is infused with politics to the 'nth degree. Japanese media, especially, has heavy focus on politics, such as anti-war messages, environmental story messages. Heck, Final Fantasy VII is littered with this, a well known game across the world, with a strong anti-corporation, pro-environmental message, focusing how we're damaging out world with the energy we're using (it comes off as an anti-nuclear message as well).

So as a whole, media has so much politics going on. Whether you choose to be blind to it, that's on you, but they're there.

You literally missed the point. I find it odd that people who are such stark representatives of the "community" are always to the quickest to get offended and act like their entire existence is threatened. You got bullied? Sexually harassed? Suicidal thoughts? Great. Join the club of many. And I say this knowing that while I'm sure these were very big, influential moments in your life (as they should be), I don't see any reason to bring it up here except to sound like a victim.

You had a rough experience growing up because you were gay? There's plenty of media out there that deal with just that. That also doesn't mean slapping a LGT-whatever tag on Piccolo is the right answer. I would have no problem with Super introducing a gay character if they portrayed him in a non-patronizing way, or you know what - if they really wanted to do it - have a character come out of the closet. The problem with all this is that Dragonball is a dumb kung-fu anime, not a melodrama about growing up. It's simply not what it is, it's not Dragonball's strength, and fact of the matter is they wouldn't have enough screentime to really develop such a story beyond a few shoehorned cliches.

The world is changing, and you can bet there will be more and more media that will hopefully be more relatable to your circumstances. But that is on you and current-future generation of storytellers. Going back and slapping some arbitrary moniker on a well established character is nothing short of patronizing to you and me. Not to mention this overly hostile, entitled attitude that some of the louder spoken LBGT members express is absolutely bananas.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Minority inclusion in media helps create a general move towards societal acceptance. It also helps educate minorities about themselves, something that our hateful society neglects to do.

I understand that our presence makes you feel unsafe but your hostility is unwarranted: we com in peace.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm Minority inclusion in media helps create a general move towards societal acceptance. It also helps educate minorities about themselves, something that our hateful society neglects to do.

I understand that our presence makes you feel unsafe but your hostility is unwarranted: we com in peace.
It's like you didn't read my post at all.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:19 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: ↑Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm Minority inclusion in media helps create a general move towards societal acceptance. It also helps educate minorities about themselves, something that our hateful society neglects to do.

It's like you didn't read my post at all.
No, I read it, it's why I made my plea to you so nice. You definitely insulted not only minorities but also abuse victims with your flippant attitude. It's impolite and immature behavior and it hurts my feelings to see a fellow adult speak so callously of us.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:26 pm

You're being patronizing and you know it. Nowhere in his post is he being hostile or saying he feels unsafe. I quite agree with his posts on that matter and that you're all looking for subtext and arguments in the post that aren't there.

EDIT: As an aside, shoving something down people's throats, especially when it entails asking to change something they're familiar with un-necessarily is not the way that this representation argument should grow. It needs to be introduced gradually and naturally. Not changing whatever to suit an agenda in a Pro or Anti way. No one is arguing against representation. They are arguing against being forced fed it in unnatural manners and changing established things that haven't been represented or shown as such. Doing this is again, partaking in behaviors and mindsets that you vehemently express to be against and wish to not want. Just on the other side of the spectrum.

He isn't saying "Characters like Kurt from Glee shouldn't be shown to kids or written in shows!" He's saying don't force a show to be something it was never meant to be for the sake of representation because it's disingenuous and pandering. And it is. You're forcing an identity on characters for your own sakes when they're not what you want them to be. Frankly, THAT'S what's offensive. I want inclusivity to be natural and genuine. Not forced. And it's so blatantly obvious when something is marketed and focused on for the sake of it. Brought attention to simply for the sake of gaining revenue. You're not ONLY a Trans person, Julie. You have other things that define you as a person and that should get you attention. But if a show says "Here's Julie and the only character trait is that she's trans/a woman." Sorry, but's that's what's offensive. It makes you nothing more than a stereotype. Don't call attention to something with a microphone. A gay person is still a person. They have traits besides a stereotype. Flesh them out. Make them humans in addition to their identities.

I'm Autistic. I have Aspergers and other disorders that I've been diagnosed with. I'm not asking for Goku to be branded as an Autistic character even though he damn well has his moments especially in Super.

You know what I AM doing? I'm writing scripts with characters that have autistic symptoms. Writing from what I know from my own experiences. I'm creating media I want to see.

You want more Kurt's from Glee? You want more Batwoman's? White Canary's? Or whatever. Then PLEASE do so. I guarantee no one in this thread is going to say or truly believes "Gay people bad. LGBT people bad. Don't show them." But it's the same as branding Rey a lesbian or Kylo Ren as gay. You don't force something on someone because you want them to be something. You of all people should understand that. It's like me saying "Yeah well, you were born as a dude. So you must be a dude" But we respect and support your identification. All that's being asked is that we stop trying to force labels on characters that weren't meant to be such, which I frankly don't understand where the problem starts as that's exactly what you wouldn't want happening to you.

Write more gay characters in media. Write more trans characters in media. Write more autistic characters in media. But do it in new and fresh stories where that identity matters. Do it where their struggles and identity is important and core to the story. And do genuinely and from the get-go. Or develop them into it naturally.

If there's a problem with that, then I'm sorry. But it shows that despite being open minded to differing opinions on this, you're remaining closed and are a symptom of the very problem you claim to be against. And if you aren't willing to acknowledge the staunch hypocrisy that your behavior and arguments are presenting, then this is a problem that will keep being repeated.

Again, you are looking for arguments that people aren't making. And you are shoving arguments in peoples mouths that they aren't making. Please step off your high horse. And please stop with this elitist attitude that I have noticed you having time and time again. It does nothing but stifle any true conversation we can have.

Lastly, he wasn't insulting minorities or abuse victims. He's just saying a truth. Loads of people have gone through it. I've been sexually abused by women multiple times. Gaslighted and even threatened with harm. No one listened to me. There is current media out there that HAVE the stories that you're all looking for. With more being written. But writing about your experiences on here as a means to silence criticism while acting hostile and entitled does nobody any favors. We ALL have common ground here. It's like nobody can communicate or get what the other party is saying. I read posts and I see someone arguing FOR the arguments you are. FOR the things you want to be in current day media, but you dismiss it because of a few comments. What's hurtful is that you can't see you're guilty of the same behaviors. And you can't acknowledge it. You don't like some of what somebody says, so you dismiss it. You can't be hostile and then get on someone for being hostile back.

I am saying this as someone who wants to have a true dialogue and not have subtextual demeaning comments lobbed back and forth. If you want to ignore my opinion and criticism where I'm talking about the problematic aspects of your behavior and arguments and lob it off as "Nah. He just hates gay and trans people and doesn't want them represented" despite me never making that argument, well that's going to be on you and I'm not willing to have a dialogue with that type of close minded person. Because although you may not be, your arguments and attitude present the opposite.

But alas, if you're going to write me off, I'll say this since it doesn't matter since you probably won't read all of what I wrote anyway: "I understand that the presence of those on the forum who disagree with you makes you feel unsafe but your hostility is unwarranted: we come in peace."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Someone suggested introducing queer themes to future projects. One of two queer people agreed with the idea. What cylinder in one's brain has to fire off at the mere idea of introducing queer themes to future projects to be something one needs to object to? I am genuinely baffled.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Piccolo and all his kind are creature that reproduce throught sexual reproduction MEANING they don't have sexe so therefore Piccolo can't be a LGBTQQIP2SAA character. He is out of all those terms.

Asexual reproduction is a type of reproduction by which offspring arise from a single organism, and inherit the genes of that parent only; it does not involve the fusion of gametes, and almost never changes the number of chromosomes. Asexual reproduction is the primary form of reproduction for single-celled organisms such as archaea and bacteria. Many plants and fungi sometimes reproduce asexually. Some asexual cells die when they are very young.

My guess is that the gasteropode from which the entire Namek species come from choose this method of reproduction as a mean of survival an harch Namek ecosystem. To answer your question you have to answer first what is precisely Piccolo Biology and method to do offspring. And here Piccolo is simply out of any game.

Also Asexuality =/= Asexual reproduction the first is a manner a way of life the other is a method of reproduction just for being clear. Piccolo here is doesn't lack of sexual attraction to others, or show low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity. It's just that for him the conception of sexual and sexual desire is foreign due to his biology.

Also a reminder Piccolo is to us an alien to add to the confusion of what his gender is. For me is outside of any classment due of what I explained above.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am

LGBTQQIP2SAA

Uh... what do the second Q, A and that 2S mean?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am

Tian wrote: ↑Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am LGBTQQIP2SAA

Uh... what do the second Q, A and that 2S mean?
questiong, two spirit, asexual and ally, i believe.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm Someone suggested introducing queer themes to future projects. One of two queer people agreed with the idea. What cylinder in one's brain has to fire off at the mere idea of introducing queer themes to future projects to be something one needs to object to? I am genuinely baffled.
I am genuinely baffled as to how you came to this conclusion. Clearly you're not interested in a dialogue but instead spinning a narrative using dismissive and condescending double speak. Its like you haven't read any posts at all in this thread besides the ones you've made up in your head.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am I have a simpler solution: how about we stop projecting our identity politics onto some dumb kung-Fu cartoon?
I don't know why people are hating on something with a political subtext or anything with politics in a pop piece of media. We always had political stuff in our media for ages, and yet people get so upset when something giving out a clear message about race, gender, sex, etc. Having these messages are a good way for people to express their political beliefs. People like Spike Lee, John Carpenter, Melvin Van Peebles, David Cornberg, etc. have done it for ages.

It's like the people who got mad that a Black LGBTQ movie won best picture of 2016 and said that the Oscars was giving into the SJWs when people wanted a LGBTQ movie to win best picture for years (The Oscars ignored both Boys Who Cry and Brokeback Mountain for best picture). It seems like a lot of people were living under a rock until the 2010s when they started to notice these things despite they have been around forever. I think it is great that pop media is caring more about the minority for once again. The 2000s felt like they started to pandering more to the white audience after the early 2000s. If Dragon Ball wants to appeal more to the minority than they should. People need to stop caring about themselves and think about other people for once.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am I have a simpler solution: how about we stop projecting our identity politics onto some dumb kung-Fu cartoon?
I don't know why people are hating on something with a political subtext or anything with politics in a pop piece of media. We always had political stuff in our media for ages, and yet people get so upset when something giving out a clear message about race, gender, sex, etc. Having these messages are a good way for people to express their political beliefs. People like Spike Lee, John Carpenter, Melvin Van Peebles, David Cornberg, etc. have done it for ages.

It's like the people who got mad that a Black LGBTQ movie won best picture of 2016 and said that the Oscars was giving into the SJWs when people wanted a LGBTQ movie to win best picture for years (The Oscars ignored both Boys Who Cry and Brokeback Mountain for best picture). It seems like a lot of people were living under a rock until the 2010s when they started to notice these things despite they have been around forever. I think it is great that pop media is caring more about the minority for once again. The 2000s felt like they started to pandering more to the white audience after the early 2000s. If Dragon Ball wants to appeal more to the minority than they should. People need to stop caring about themselves and think about other people for once.
I dont think you understand the context of discussion here. All the examples of previous directors who have had political undertones in their work have done so with the artistic intent to do so. They did not go back and retcon previously established works for the fuck of it.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

And if they don’t want to oh well.
This is a franchise where it’s main claim to fame is two dudes punching the crap outta each other with the occasional humor not oh character is x,y or z stuff