Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by Sin » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm
Does it count as a fetish? Intelligence a trait that LOTS of people look for in a mate.
Right? I guess it's when it is the intelligence you are attracted to over what being that intelligence inhabits. For instance if Vegeta met an intelligent oracle fish he might find that attractive. There is not a clear indicator of sexuality in DB, a lot of it is implicit, so on that basis I guess it would be hard to say if Vegeta is a sapiosexual, but equally there's as little evidence for it as there is for Vegeta being any other sexuality. I have always assumed that characters in DB aren't too complex and that their sexuality isn't more complicated than heterosexual/homosexual/asexual, but I guess that might just be pre-programmed ignorance?
JulieYBM wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Sin wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:34 am
Having had to Google what a sapiosexual is I would say isn't that more of a fetish than a sexuality? Either way I'd say there isn't enough evidence to say this is the case, but I will say he probably is not intentionally a sapiosexual.
It's a fetish and not a recognized part of the queer community. I had literally never heard of the term before recently. If someone is attracted to someone because of their intelligence (which is really just one component of a personality) then they are more likely than not simply pansexual, like me.
I have learned more about sexuality in the past few months on this board than I've done in my real life experiences, which is both enlightening and scary.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:44 pm

Sin wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm
Does it count as a fetish? Intelligence a trait that LOTS of people look for in a mate.
Right? I guess it's when it is the intelligence you are attracted to over what being that intelligence inhabits. For instance if Vegeta met an intelligent oracle fish he might find that attractive. There is not a clear indicator of sexuality in DB, a lot of it is implicit, so on that basis I guess it would be hard to say if Vegeta is a sapiosexual, but equally there's as little evidence for it as there is for Vegeta being any other sexuality. I have always assumed that characters in DB aren't too complex and that their sexuality isn't more complicated than heterosexual/homosexual/asexual, but I guess that might just be pre-programmed ignorance?
JulieYBM wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Sin wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:34 am
Having had to Google what a sapiosexual is I would say isn't that more of a fetish than a sexuality? Either way I'd say there isn't enough evidence to say this is the case, but I will say he probably is not intentionally a sapiosexual.
It's a fetish and not a recognized part of the queer community. I had literally never heard of the term before recently. If someone is attracted to someone because of their intelligence (which is really just one component of a personality) then they are more likely than not simply pansexual, like me.
I have learned more about sexuality in the past few months on this board than I've done in my real life experiences, which is both enlightening and scary.
The US media is controlled by conservatives with poor images of queer folk, ergo this reinforces the upbringing of conservative households. It is meant to perpetuate a vicious cycle, whether always intentionally or not. In US media transgender people are nearly always the butt of jokes. Supergirl and Sense8 are two pieces of recent media where we are not treated as jokes or ugly men in dresses. Media still reinforces the idea that cisgender men are freaked out by even the slightest possibility of being feminine or being attracted to the same-gender. You almost never see media show cis men exploring bisexuality or pansexuality. Remember all those times in a movie or television series where mean accidentally get physically intimate? They always end in loud, over the top "WOAH, SORRY!" reactions or being grossed out. Not once do see these scenes depicted calmly, like a "Whoops, sorry dude" or a "Actually, I didn't mind!" or "Y'know, I actually really enjoyed that. Unexpected!" Men are always expected to be macho stereotypes that reject the same gender. The only bisexual characters I ever see in media are cis women, like in Bones or New Girl (a series that broke my heart when it did trans jokes). MY parents are big fans of The Big Bang Theory--which I already hate for its senseless cruelty and treatment of my cis sisters--which has several transphobic transgender women jokes in the first handful of episodes.

As for you, I'm always really happy when someone begins to understand their sexuality and gender better. Discovering that I was attracted to men and was also a woman--especially early on--has been so exciting and rewarding. I love seeing other eggs hatch!
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual/Bisexual | Transgender |

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16335
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I have zero idea where you get the idea that the media is controlled by conservatives.

I too would like to see accidental contact between men met with "that wasn't bad" or something like that. It doesn't always have to be "Those aren't pillows!" Though I do think when we do see it, it is now often shown as coming from a place of insecurity such as the offensive comments Michael Scott makes on The Office.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:56 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm
I have zero idea where you get the idea that the media is controlled by conservatives.
I consume the media and I look at who owns it and how it is funded.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual/Bisexual | Transgender |

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16335
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:56 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm
I have zero idea where you get the idea that the media is controlled by conservatives.
I consume the media and I look at who owns it and how it is funded.
I consume the media and I also look at who's funding it and most of it is funded by leftists. Academic studies constantly show that academia, the arts, and journalism lean left. To the extent that there's anything right leaning, much of it comes down to them not wanting to completely alienate half the country. Another thing to think about is no matter how enlightened or "woke" or whatever word you prefer, the make up of much of these institutions is straight white people.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:04 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:56 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm
I have zero idea where you get the idea that the media is controlled by conservatives.
I consume the media and I look at who owns it and how it is funded.
I consume the media and I also look at who's funding it and most of it is funded by leftists. Academic studies constantly show that academia, the arts, and journalism lean left. To the extent that there's anything right leaning, much of it comes down to them not wanting to completely alienate half the country. Another thing to think about is no matter how enlightened or "woke" or whatever word you prefer, the make up of much of these institutions is straight white people.
Where are the anti-war, anti-cop, anti-big money, staunchly and unapologetically pro-trans, pro-Medicare for All, pro-college for all, pro-living wage, pro-Social Security for All, pro-union, pro-striking, pro-equal pay, pro-abortion, pro-housing for all voices in the media? In our journalists on television, in our films and in our television? The media takes every opportunity it can to shit on the most progressive politician currently running for president. Why? Because it fears him and the improvements he will make for regular people's lives.

The closest thing to left-wing we might see in our media is not hating people of color and gays but then turning around and arguing against all of the policies that would improve their lives. I'll have the media call me a faggot if they'll turn around and staunchly fight to give me Medicare for All, college, a living wage and some fucking disability pay. Instead all our media does is either openly push conservative ideology or present a neutrality bias to maintain the fucked up conservative status quo we've been living in for forty years.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual/Bisexual | Transgender |

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16335
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Are you just not looking hard enough or at all? Your only argument is they aren't far enough, so in that case, sure, anything short of outright Socialism seems right wing.

Sorry folks. Anyway, Vegeta was attracted to Bulma's bravery. She wasn't afraid of him anymore and wasn't taking any crap, which I imagine has some correlation with her intelligence, so sure, he's attracted to her for her bullheadedness and intelligence. I've never heard of sapiosexual before today. You learn something everyday.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Are you just not looking hard enough or at all? Your only argument is they aren't far enough, so in that case, sure, anything short of outright Socialism seems right wing.

Sorry folks. Anyway, Vegeta was attracted to Bulma's bravery. She wasn't afraid of him anymore and wasn't taking any crap, which I imagine has some correlation with her intelligence, so sure, he's attracted to her for her bullheadedness and intelligence. I've never heard of sapiosexual before today. You learn something everyday.
I've always written sapiosexual off as a pretentious, self-aggrandizing word. "I look for intelligence in a partner because I'm so intelligent and cultured. Look at how intelligent and cultured I am."

It's a bunch of nonsense not worth knowing :silent:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16335
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Are you just not looking hard enough or at all? Your only argument is they aren't far enough, so in that case, sure, anything short of outright Socialism seems right wing.

Sorry folks. Anyway, Vegeta was attracted to Bulma's bravery. She wasn't afraid of him anymore and wasn't taking any crap, which I imagine has some correlation with her intelligence, so sure, he's attracted to her for her bullheadedness and intelligence. I've never heard of sapiosexual before today. You learn something everyday.
I've always written sapiosexual off as a pretentious, self-aggrandizing word. "I look for intelligence in a partner because I'm so intelligent and cultured. Look at how intelligent and cultured I am."

It's a bunch of nonsense not worth knowing :silent:
Also, who doesn't look for intelligence in their spouse or partner?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:41 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:27 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Are you just not looking hard enough or at all? Your only argument is they aren't far enough, so in that case, sure, anything short of outright Socialism seems right wing.

Sorry folks. Anyway, Vegeta was attracted to Bulma's bravery. She wasn't afraid of him anymore and wasn't taking any crap, which I imagine has some correlation with her intelligence, so sure, he's attracted to her for her bullheadedness and intelligence. I've never heard of sapiosexual before today. You learn something everyday.
I've always written sapiosexual off as a pretentious, self-aggrandizing word. "I look for intelligence in a partner because I'm so intelligent and cultured. Look at how intelligent and cultured I am."

It's a bunch of nonsense not worth knowing :silent:
Also, who doesn't look for intelligence in their spouse or partner?
Exactly! It's just a way for people to make themselves feel unique.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2644
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: moonstreams
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am

sapiosexual is literally just what people on reddit call themselves, and the term only exists for that. it's at most a preference, and it absolutely isn't even in the realm of being a sexual orientation.
they/them

i have severe anxiety, if i don't respond to you it's likely that i had a anxiety attack and wasn't able to.

rip kobe!

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:42 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am
sapiosexual is literally just what people on reddit call themselves, and the term only exists for that. it's at most a preference, and it absolutely isn't even in the realm of being a sexual orientation.
I've seen it go far beyond reddit. It's something of a running gag on twitter and I've seen a shitload of tinder profiles from girls where it's used without a trace of irony.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 am

Considering what we know about both characters (Vegeta and Bulma) up to the point in the series where they originally hooked up (early Jinzoningen arc) and the circumstances surrounding it - Vegeta training like a madman for the forthcoming fight against Gero's creations at Capsule Corp while Bulma was on the outs with Yamucha: or in other words, a super ripped and shredded uber-athlete pushing himself to his absolute physical brink while the very attractive rich girl he's staying with is breaking up with her long term boyfriend and is in full rebound mode - there very likely isn't ANY part of that initial union that amounted to anything more than two very physically attractive people going through an emotionally intense period, resulting in their having completely meaningless, sweaty, casual sex.

That they eventually wound up later on settling into a relatively stable relationship/marriage after that initial one nighter resulted in Bulma getting knocked up seems to be a happy, incidental accident of circumstances and two "opposites attract" personality types meshing together better than expected more than anything else.

Basically everything that we're given about them in the series suggests that they were a primal, spur of the moment hookup first, and a surprisingly functional couple only later on after the fact.

So no, even if we take "sapiosexual" to be a real thing (which as several people in here have noted, is already a somewhat dubious classification), I HIGHLY doubt it in any which way applies to Vegeta even on its own terms, given the (very overwhelmingly likely) circumstances surrounding his and Bulma's hooking up.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am

Vegeta was a virgin until he met Blooma. There is no way he'd let just anybody touch that glorious, smol peepee of his
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual/Bisexual | Transgender |

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by Jord » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am
Vegeta was a virgin until he met Blooma. There is no way he'd let just anybody touch that glorious, smol peepee of his
I dunno. I always expected that he and Nappa had a liitle TLC after that battle on the bug planet shown early in the series. With Nappa as sub of course.

User avatar
TheBigBoy
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks for taking my troll thread seriously everybody!!!!

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6191
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 am

TheBigBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Thanks for taking my troll thread seriously everybody!!!!
I think that was pretty obvious from the start. This place has had a serious problem with these nonsensical bad-faith threads as of late.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 am
TheBigBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Thanks for taking my troll thread seriously everybody!!!!
I think that was pretty obvious from the start. This place has had a serious problem with these nonsensical bad-faith threads as of late.
Exactly! I guess some folks are just so bored that they seem to enjoy getting a rise out of people with these kinds of silly topics.

"In universe" though, Vegeta literally said that Saiyan men are generally attracted to feisty, strong minded women. That literally has nothing to do with intellect as it does determination.

BTW i cant help but think of Tinder whenever I see "Sapiosexual" lol, its in every other girl's profile.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

User avatar
FoolsGil
I Live Here
Posts: 4101
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Well, the only way we'd truly know that would be if Bulma was ugly AF, or at least did not look humanoid.

It's not that I don't believe sapiosexual isn't a thing. But I do believe that the only ones who are capable of such a thing in real life, are blind people who must use other senses to develop an initial feeling for someone.
TheBigBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:19 pm
Thanks for taking my troll thread seriously everybody!!!!
You're welcome. I needed something to do between homework.
Dragonball Exiles Chapter One. Chapter Two In Production.

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: Vegeta is a sapiosexual right?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am
Vegeta was a virgin until he met Blooma. There is no way he'd let just anybody touch that glorious, smol peepee of his
Do we need this? Can you fantasize about a character in your own private time? Between this thread and your "I wish zarbon would fuck my brains out" I'm beginning to think you're on the wrong forum. Not everybody wishes to sexualize dbz. Saying so and so is pretty hot VS graphic and vulgar depictions are two different things.

Post Reply